Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another Shooting In America?

Comments

• JiMMy 85 said:

SDAddick said:

JiMMy 85 said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Greenie said:

Good for her.
    Not good for her, breaking and entering isn't a crime punished by death!
    Well there's an easy way to avoid the punishment.
    That's not how legal punishments and proportionality work though. As I said above I didn't realize the men in this had guns so this is self defense, but as mentioned just above Terrence Crutcher's car broke down while black in the middle of the road and what was his punishment? Death. Treyvon Martin was walking home eating skittles while black and what was his punishment? Death. Eric Garner was illegally selling cigarettes on the street and what was his punishment? Death. Alton Sterling may have resisted arrest, though why he was being arrested was unclear and what was his punishment? Death.

None of these "crimes" carry the death penalty. So this notion that there is a way to avoid such consequences is ludicrous.
    I answered the post about breaking and entering. It really is quite simple, if you don't break into peoples houses you won't get shot in there.
    So you would feel the same if they were unarmed? Because in most states you'll go to jail for manslaughter.
    A startled intruder could do as much damage to someone unarmed as they could armed. If they felt cornered they could grab anything. Do you take that chance? It's a difficult one but something that would be made a lot easier if you didn't intrude in someone's home.
    We had a major break-in, I was surrounded by men in balaclavas waving crow bars at me. I keep nunchuku under the bed but didn't have time to get them out. If I had, I suspect I'd have gotten my head caved in by the group. Ultimately, while the whole ordeal was shitty, by not fighting back and talking the invaders down, no physical harm came to anyone. It's not very satisfying to me, I'd love to smash them up, but I look at my girlfriend each night and thank my lucky stars it went the way it did. Absolutely no good whatsoever would have come from anyone in that mess holding a firearm. You're better off investing in an unbreakable door.
    Glad you're okay Jimmy. And your experience that talking to them instead of instigating violence has been shown to have the most peaceful outcomes.

From The Atlantic, this is more on the whole irrational fear of home invasions, not your situation necessarily.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/12/gun-violence-and-the-irrational-fear-of-home-invasion/266613/
    They shook my hand and apologised before leaving. By far the most surreal moment I'll have in bed!

Funnily enough, I'd been watching Mission Impossible 3 the day before, absent-mindedly wondering if the scriptwriter had researched what to say in a gun-to-the-head moment. And I think I quoted Tom Cruise - "I want to help you but you've got to do what's right [and leave her alone]"

It worked. I owe Tom Cruise one there.
    That is brilliant. Life is weird.
  • Friday 30th 19d worst incident domestic violence shooting 2 teens and dad dead mum wounded.
    Weekend stattos here's your starting point for the weekend 1/2 October
    10880 dead so far for this year
    22571 wounded
    42354 incidents total
  • And that's just the police shootings.
  • @theeenorth I "Like" these because I appreciate you sharing these and think it's a really, really important topic. I do not actually like this.

Also, John Oliver did a brilliant piece on Police Accountability (and the lack thereof). If you care at all about this topic, I highly, highly, highly recommend taking the 20 minutes to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaD84DTGULo
  • Hi SD, my interest is threefold, firstly I am concerned by the way fear is used by authority to justify increasing draconian "counter measures" when the reality is that threat levels are often statistically minute. Secondly and closely linked is the increasingly para military outlook of police forces in the liberal democracies and lastly because the scale of the issue in the USA is so vast and attitudes the absolute antithesis of logic.
    Years back I spent a few minutes close to Charlton Heston in JFK, surrounded by his minions. An aura of righteousness pervading from him. Too many biblical epics I think but an appropriate figurehead for an obnoxious ideology.
  • edited October 2016
    "The thought of security bears within it an essential risk. A state which has security as its sole task and source of legitimacy is a fragile organism; it can always be provoked by terrorism to become more terroristic."
  • Sponsored links:

• Program on Beeb1 about gun crime in Chicago.
  • Hi SD, my interest is threefold, firstly I am concerned by the way fear is used by authority to justify increasing draconian "counter measures" when the reality is that threat levels are often statistically minute. Secondly and closely linked is the increasingly para military outlook of police forces in the liberal democracies and lastly because the scale of the issue in the USA is so vast and attitudes the absolute antithesis of logic.
    Years back I spent a few minutes close to Charlton Heston in JFK, surrounded by his minions. An aura of righteousness pervading from him. Too many biblical epics I think but an appropriate figurehead for an obnoxious ideology.

All incredibly well put.

From the Atlantic, 15 years on and billions in counter-terrorism, are we any safer? (spoiler, no).

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/09/are-we-any-safer/492761/

Regarding the para-millitarisation of police forces in the west, we have it BAD. I mean our police departments literally got the left-over/unused weapons and vehicles from Iraq and Afghanistan. Where else are you thinking of? France? Quite curious as because ours is so bad I don't really think much outside of our borders on that particular topic.

Lastly, it's worth remembering that there are a lot of people switched on to the problem of gun violence, police violence, and the intersection of the two. California has a measure on the ballot next month which would regulate the sale of bullets, and there are various states that have their own legislation surrounding gun sale restrictions. What keeps things from happening at the Federal level, and thus being universal (things like background checks, not being able to buy guns at gun shows without self-same check, etc.) is a rather small but incredibly vocal and mobilized minority in the NRA. The NRA only makes up about 5 million people, and those numbers are self-published.

Putting Donald Trump's law and order to one side, we are increasingly seeing a desire to have conversations about judicial and police reform. California (again progressive but not alone on this) has another measure on the ballot that would make it easier for non-violent offenders to get out of prison early. This would have been unheard of even ten years ago. It's worth noting that back in the '80s and '90s when you pretty much had to be a law and order candidate to run for anything, California adopted the Three Strikes law like many other states. There was little to no political opposition for increasing police number and the expansions of sentencing. The paradigm has definitely shifted.

I'm far from being an optimist, but even if you isolate what Black Lives Matter has done for the topic of police shootings, that they are now a regular discussion point and part of the regular news cycle, that is a huge shift of the needle.
  • Interesting programme on radio tonight about concealed carry/ open carry on campus in Texas. Will find link and post it.
  • Tyson Gay's 15 year old daughter shot dead in crossfire between two two vehicles.
    In the light of MrOneLung's attention to the news.

kids under 11 killed and wounded 527
    teens 12-17 killed or wounded 2449
  • So coming up to the end of the month and the end of this little bit of monitoring. Another two weekends before November arrives and everybody can start giving thanks, presumably if they survive the civil strife caused by either revolting Trumpets showing their fury at defeat by massacring whole swathes of the populace or Fanfare for the common man Trumpets executing non believers in victory.
    This weekend's starting stats are;
    Not far off the 1000 mark for the month, a relatively normal weekend would see that mark breached.
    Truly grim.
  • 10880 12283
    22571 25387
    42354 47574
    End of the month and monitoring the numbers.
    1403 dead.
    2816 wounded.
    5226 incidents.
  • 10880 12283
    22571 25387
    42354 47574
    End of the month and monitoring the numbers.
    1403 dead.
    2816 wounded.
    5226 incidents.

1,403 people were shot dead in the US over October ? Really ?
  • Sponsored links:

• According to the Gun Violence Archive:

2016 so far

Total Number of Incidents 47,574
    Number of Deaths1 12,283
    Number of Injuries1 25,387
    Number of Children (age 0-11)
    Killed or Injured1 566
    Number of Teens (age 12-17)
    Killed or Injured1 2,590
    Mass Shooting2 323
    Officer Involved Incident
    Officer Shot or Killed2 266
    Officer Involved Incident
    Subject-Suspect Shot or Killed2 1,571
    Home Invasion2 1,999
    Defensive Use2 1,490
    Accidental Shooting2 1,751

Gun violence and crime incidents are collected/validated from 2,000 sources daily – incidents and their source data are found at the gunviolencearchive.org website.

1: Actual number of deaths and injuries
    2: Number of INCIDENTS reported and verified

Annual Suicides not included. (Average 22,000 per year)

Numbers on this table reflect a subset of all information
    collected and will not add to 100% of incidents.

www.gunviolencearchive.org
    Data Validated: November 01, 2016
  • Don't worry. As soon as Trump gets in he's going to pass a law that makes it legal to carry a concealed weapon anywhere, even in states that have outlawed it. That will solve this problem once and for all!!
  • se9addick said:
    They've certainly covered all bases with that advice...

It does certainly seem like a strange bit of advice to give.
  • Rizzo said:

Don't worry. As soon as Trump gets in he's going to pass a law that makes it legal to carry a concealed weapon anywhere, even in states that have outlawed it. That will solve this problem once and for all!!

He has talked about expanding it so that guns are allowed on college campuses, which is very rare these days. It is currently legal at the University of Texas, Austin, where it is legal to carry guns but illegal to carry dildos.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/university-of-texas-carry-dildos-instead-of-guns_us_57bf0342e4b085c1ff27fa3b

Cocks not glocks
  • edited November 2016
    The "shooter" was the cop who killed a "Somali refugee" who attacked and injured 9 people with a butcher's knife.
  • edited November 2016
    limeygent said:

The "shooter" was the cop who killed a "Somali refugee" who attacked and injured 9 people with a butcher's knife.

A good reminder to take the initial reports with a grain of salt. It may have been in part due to the fact that the campus does not have a generic "active threat" alert, but only an "Active Shooter" and they issued that alert (either intentionally to convey danger or without knowing it was not an active shooter). I know that this is the case for Georgia Tech, whose research institute I work for, and I believe most universities (and possibly high schools) do now as a result of the increase in school shootings. This was not the case when I was at university just under a decade ago.
  • Look like the culprit used other inanimate objects (a car and a knife), good job someone some had a gun and shot him.

How's it go- He brought a knife to a gunfight?
  • edited January 2017
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38365729
    Article about Japanese approach. Quite a startling contrast to the USA however no comment made about illegal firearms in circulation with crims for example.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!