Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell sacked from Huddersfield.

Comments

• Options
    agim said:

Nigel Clough will go there

Be a good appointment if they can get him... Bet they'll want Hasselbaink though
  • Options
    It's a been while since we've had a thread on here arguing about Chris Powell.

...Now can we get back to saving our club?
  • Options
    Looking down the list Rosler is favourite. JFH is a gamble but could pay off.
  • Options
    agim said:

Looking down the list Rosler is favourite. JFH is a gamble but could pay off.

Jesus... He's the new Iain Dowie isnt he!!
  • Options
    No excuses for the board to appoint a new Charlton manager as we're competing with Huddersfield now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No thanks
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I feel for him although I don't know enough about Huddersfield to have a fair opinion on their decision.

On Chris, himself, as time passes the circumstances around his departure fade. As do the memories of that wretched season that he arrived and we finished 14th in the third division.

For me he will always be remembered for the great player that he was for us and the promotion season as a manager and the run we had at the end of the following year when we finished 9th.

In some ways not having him associated with what's happened since he left is a bonus as it helps to protect his legend status.

For me he will always be a Charlton Legend, and that can't be taken away now!
  • Options
    I'd have him back, left back and inspirational club captain.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Weve already got three playing... Now you want a fourth?

Dont ever remember him as Captain though
  • Options
    buckshee said:

agim said:

Would be interested to know how much he spent up there. Anyone got the stats?

Actual Transfers (Havent included Free Transfers or Loans)

INS: Kyle Dempsey... £300k / Jordy Hiwula... Undisclosed / Ishmael Miller ... Undisclosed
    OUTS: Conor Coady ... £2m / Alex Smithies ... £1.5m / Jacob Butterfield ... Undisclosed / Danny Ward ... Undisclosed / Lee Peliter ... Undisclosed
    What about this one?

"On 10 January 2014, Nahki Wells signed a four-and-a-half year contract with Huddersfield Town after transferring for an undisclosed club record fee"
    Wells was definitely already at Huddersfield when Powell joined.

• Options

Greenie said:

Complete and utter Charlton legend whose only crime is that he is loved by some fans that other fans don't like. Some will be delighted he has been sacked by another club. Bonkers

Hope you got a nice payoff SCP

Disagree, like me I think most fans would say that they love Powell, I loved him as a player and he is a legend at our club. BUT the reality is that he is not a very good manager. If he was he wouldn't have nearly put us in League 1 before he was sacked, and other teams would be knocking his door down to get him as manager.
    I cant understand why anyone would want him sacked, out of spite maybe?
    I wish him nothing but the best for the future, it will be interesting to see how quick he gets a job.
    'Not a very good manager' - Wins league 1 with record points, takes pretty much the same team to 9th in the championship.... In what way did he nearly put us in league 1? Remember we did have four games in hand!

I agree that I didn't really enjoy the football we played under him, though towards the end of his time with us he tried to rectify that, but I would take him in a heartbeat over any of his replacements since.

Not doing it all again.
  • Options

Under normal circumstances yes, but I actually hope he'd turn us down if offered (although won't be). Deserves better than these clowns.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

According to the fans Powell had some of his best players sold by the board and was told to bring through more youngsters. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Seems that most fans do not agree with the decision to sack him.

Huh, but Colin said that the fans had worked him out and wanted him out ;).
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

We very rarely get to find out if a football manager is any good or not these days because they don't last long enough. Gone are the days when we had the likes of Lennie Lawrence at Charlton, John Rudge at Port Vale and Joe Royle at Oldham. It seems now that a group of names just hop around clubs until they've completed the full-set.

Chris Powell will get another job within the football world because he's well liked and knows the game.

Very true. I recall Fergie being very close to getting the sack by MU when we beat them at Selhurst. They stuck with him and the rest is history
  • Options
    edited November 2015

According to the fans Powell had some of his best players sold by the board and was told to bring through more youngsters. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Seems that most fans do not agree with the decision to sack him.

Huh, but Colin said that the fans had worked him out and wanted him out ;).
    Well we all know that Colin is.....fu...often wrong
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Complete and utter Charlton legend whose only crime is that he is loved by some fans that other fans don't like. Some will be delighted he has been sacked by another club. Bonkers

Hope you got a nice payoff SCP

Disagree, like me I think most fans would say that they love Powell, I loved him as a player and he is a legend at our club. BUT the reality is that he is not a very good manager. If he was he wouldn't have nearly put us in League 1 before he was sacked, and other teams would be knocking his door down to get him as manager.
    I cant understand why anyone would want him sacked, out of spite maybe?
    I wish him nothing but the best for the future, it will be interesting to see how quick he gets a job.
    'Not a very good manager' - Wins league 1 with record points, takes pretty much the same team to 9th in the championship.... In what way did he nearly put us in league 1? Remember we did have four games in hand!

I agree that I didn't really enjoy the football we played under him, though towards the end of his time with us he tried to rectify that, but I would take him in a heartbeat over any of his replacements since.

Not doing it all again.
    Fair enough but you are wrong.
    He was the first of this mobs sacked mangers. He was told who would be his players, who would be sold/let go and they tried to tell him who would be playing (remember that fine goalkeeper from the collective among others). Hardly likely to succeed really.
    His record when backed was far better than the 3 previous and better than the 3 and probably the 4th following.
    What I would say is his side was a tad boring to watch but you don't get ticky tacky players in 2nd and 3rd tiers of English football.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Get a grip....that would totally push me over the edge bringing him back.

But why, he's clearly failed at Udders????
    Hes not a very good manager.
    Not been sacked for results though has he?
    What was the reason given then ?
  • Options
    Huddersfield Town chief exec on why Chris Powell had to go - and what they want in new boss
    12:49, 4 NOV 2015 BY ROBERT SUTCLIFFE
    Powell's dismissal was confirmed at 10am this morning, just 12 hours after the team drew 2-2 at Reading in the Championship.

Huddersfield today admitted it had been a "tough" decision to sack manager Chris Powell.

But the club's chief executive Nigel Clibbens said there had been a number of concerns about the way the team was operating under the former Charlton man.

Powell's dismissal was confirmed at 10am this morning, just 12 hours after the team drew 2-2 at Reading in the Championship.

Mr Clibbens said: "We have thought long and hard about the decision.

"We think we need to go down a different path and that is why we have made the change now.

"There are concerns about the way we are developing players and the way we go about our business.

"I think Chris was very disappointed, and understandably so, but he understands why we have taken this action.

"Looking ahead to the Leeds game Mark Lillis will be in charge and him and there will be a bit of spice with him and Steve Evans on the touchline. Mark scored the winner against Leeds back in 1984".

He said there was a feeling the team ought to be prepared to take more of a risk on the field.

"We are looking for someone who is able to take us forward. We want to get a bit of excitement back".