Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell sacked from Huddersfield.

Comments

• Options
    Powell he won a league title in his first full season in football management.

He didn't get the backing to improve on the squad he had - after finishing 9th.

We had like 3 or 4 games in hand when bottom along with FA cup run.

Turns out new owners had the money to keep us afloat but were even worse then the previous. Like being forced to sell your soul to the devil in order to stay alive. In the long term it's actually quite shit.

Can't say that if Powell didn't get sacked, just don't know, but the working relationship at that time between owner and manager was not very good and supportive at all....very evident on the pitch against Sheffield United. Though the players and management still must be blamed for that it was terrible.

Really hate Dutchatelet
  • Options
    Ten league games should be seen a short term blip; not as a reason to sack someone.

I want stability, other fans claim to want stability but seem to want managers sacked at the same frequency as Roland.
  • Options
    Greenie in Powell is a crap manager shock! We get it, you don't rate him. You've posted more than anyone else in this thread so maybe time to 'move on' as you used to put it.

You dig out the game at daggers being woeful but when he actually put together his own team we won their 2-1 and it must have been some fluke as we managed to secure 101 points that season.

Things are so much better now though aren't they, performances have massively improved since he left. Bizarre.

It said it all to me the massive reception he got on his return to the valley and you could see that most fans appreciate and love this Charlton legend for what he has given to our club over the years. If you can't feel that then I genuinely feel sorry for you.
  • Options

Greenie in Powell is a crap manager shock! We get it, you don't rate him. You've posted more than anyone else in this thread so maybe time to 'move on' as you used to put it.

You dig out the game at daggers being woeful but when he actually put together his own team we won their 2-1 and it must have been some fluke as we managed to secure 101 points that season.

Things are so much better now though aren't they, performances have massively improved since he left. Bizarre.

It said it all to me the massive reception he got on his return to the valley and you could see that most fans appreciate and love this Charlton legend for what he has given to our club over the years. If you can't feel that then I genuinely feel sorry for you.

You say I have posted more about Powell than anyone else but you obviously haven't read how I feel about Powell the man.
    Myopia is a terrible disease and you have my sympathy! Genuinely!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    When I win the Euromillions and buy the club, he will be appointed manager with Curbs as director of football and I can get slagged off by a minority on here as we storm up the league!
  • Options
    Usually I say don't look back & don't re-employ an ex-manager (its like an ex-gf - never the same as the 1st time) BUT SCP knows the club inside out & like Stevie Brown bleeds red & white........probably the only person who COULD turn this mess around & he would be doing for all the right reasons.........to get OUR Charlton back.

At this point in time he is the only answer. Whoever is at the meeting on Friday with RM& KM MUST ask them to get him back.
  • Options

Usually I say don't look back & don't re-employ an ex-manager (its like an ex-gf - never the same as the 1st time) BUT SCP knows the club inside out & like Stevie Brown bleeds red & white........probably the only person who COULD turn this mess around & he would be doing for all the right reasons.........to get OUR Charlton back.

At this point in time he is the only answer. Whoever is at the meeting on Friday with RM& KM MUST ask them to get him back.

I predict it will be a very quiet meeting on Friday .

And a huge surprise to KM & RM when no-one turns up.....

:smiley:

• Options
    Ramsey also gone from QPR... Await the there's not enough black managers in the game etc....
  • Options
    Nice job for Chris at QPR if Warnock doesn't take it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He's just been sacked for playing boring, non attacking football and not getting enough points......but we MUST get him back
  • Options
    PL54 said:

He's just been sacked for playing boring, non attacking football and not getting enough points......but we MUST get him back
    Would have taken 2 goals and a point at MK Dons last night.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

PL54 said:

Would have taken 2 goals and a point at MK Dons last night.
    I'd have preferred less salt on my chips but that's not important right now
  • Options

When I win the Euromillions and buy the club, he will be appointed manager with Curbs as director of football and I can get slagged off by a minority on here as we storm up the league!

but as a new owner you immediately can do no wrong........
    so even if you pulled the Sam Bartram statue down , re named the South Stand, reduced the portion of chips size down to 12 , changed the home kit to blue, moved our home games to 3am on a Thursday , opened the ticket office 24-7 , there will be the usual suspects on here ready to blow smoke up your arse and shout down anyone who dare be critical of your radical new approach to us
  • Options

Huddersfield Town chief exec on why Chris Powell had to go - and what they want in new boss
    12:49, 4 NOV 2015 BY ROBERT SUTCLIFFE
    Powell's dismissal was confirmed at 10am this morning, just 12 hours after the team drew 2-2 at Reading in the Championship.

Huddersfield today admitted it had been a "tough" decision to sack manager Chris Powell.

But the club's chief executive Nigel Clibbens said there had been a number of concerns about the way the team was operating under the former Charlton man.

Powell's dismissal was confirmed at 10am this morning, just 12 hours after the team drew 2-2 at Reading in the Championship.

Mr Clibbens said: "We have thought long and hard about the decision.

"We think we need to go down a different path and that is why we have made the change now.

"There are concerns about the way we are developing players and the way we go about our business.

"I think Chris was very disappointed, and understandably so, but he understands why we have taken this action.

"Looking ahead to the Leeds game Mark Lillis will be in charge and him and there will be a bit of spice with him and Steve Evans on the touchline. Mark scored the winner against Leeds back in 1984".

He said there was a feeling the team ought to be prepared to take more of a risk on the field.

"We are looking for someone who is able to take us forward. We want to get a bit of excitement back".

Be careful what you wish for...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huddersfield are being linked with the Borussia Dortmund II ex-Manager (the same guy that Jurgen Klopp wanted with him @ Liverpool)
  • Options
    Excitement? has their Chief Exec tried Alton Towers?
  • Options

When we went up to the Championship Powell wanted Yannick Bolasie, Jason Shackell, Dean Hammond, Stephen Quinn and Sone Aluko. Every single one of them subsequently went on to play Premiership football with teams that got promoted and were central parts those squads. One of my biggest disappointments as a Charlton fan is that we lost that momentum going up with Cash pulling his funding out. We finished 3 points off the play-offs with Pritchard, Wagstaff and Obika in our team. Imagine what we could have done with the players Powell wanted.

As impressive as that list is it is it's not the identifying of the players that is the most difficult, it's paying for them. As great as the League One season was, and I take nothing away from Chris Powell, it was identified before the season started, by the rivals for promotion, that we had signed all the best players in the division. It is a lot easier to be successful when you have a much better squad than the teams you are competing against. In fact there is an argument that with the same squad finishing 9th the season after anything other than walking League One would have been a failure.

I'm just putting a different slant on it as I don't believe that Powell was a fantastic manager or a rubbish one. He was somewhere in between and many of the posters on here seem to have one polar view or the other.
    But who identified those players? How many on here knew beforehand that Wiggins, Morrison, Kermorgant were some of the best out there? Seem to remember a bit of a "meh" feeling about the latter two at the point they signed? Easy to re-write history with the benefit of hindsight...

Surely our issue now is that whoever identifies the players (Fraeye?!) gets it wrong more often than right?

• Options

When we went up to the Championship Powell wanted Yannick Bolasie, Jason Shackell, Dean Hammond, Stephen Quinn and Sone Aluko. Every single one of them subsequently went on to play Premiership football with teams that got promoted and were central parts those squads. One of my biggest disappointments as a Charlton fan is that we lost that momentum going up with Cash pulling his funding out. We finished 3 points off the play-offs with Pritchard, Wagstaff and Obika in our team. Imagine what we could have done with the players Powell wanted.

As impressive as that list is it is it's not the identifying of the players that is the most difficult, it's paying for them. As great as the League One season was, and I take nothing away from Chris Powell, it was identified before the season started, by the rivals for promotion, that we had signed all the best players in the division.
    Sheffield Wednesday were one of our rivals for promotion. They thought they had got much the better deal when we swapped Semedo for Morrison.

Huddersfield Town were one of our rivals for promotion. They took a team that hadn't been beaten in 42 years (excluding a 0-3 draw against Peterborough) and added some players.

Sheffield United were...

In fact there is an argument that with the same squad finishing 9th the season after anything other than walking League One would have been a failure.

A really shit argument, but yes, it exists.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Amazes me that people put down some of the football played towards the end of Powell's tenure, whilst completely ignoring the fact that he was being forced to play the likes of Thuram...

I'm amazed anyone even questions whether he OVERALL did do a good job for Charlton.

Everyone's 100% entitled to that opinion of course and have a few valid reasons absolutely fair enough...and

Chris Powell having the Charlton legend status does perhaps make people want to stick up for him more then not but what he did at Charlton was pure merit based whether the fans would naturally be on his side or not.

Powell was no genius of a football manager (don't understand why that's expected) but who would be on there 1st tenure of the trade? Was Fergie?

Powell was a very good solid manager for Charlton I really appreciate his efforts and success. I will not and can't be bothered to repeat and add on why that is. It's just bloody stupid extremely glass half empty stuff.