Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell sacked from Huddersfield.

Comments

• Options
    I've seen Hudds once on tv and against us at the valley this season and they played pretty good football on both occasions. 3 wins out of 17 is poor but looking at the last 10 games it is won 3, drawn 3, lost 4, which is very mid-table. Seems odd to me but hey-ho, may work out for them, may not.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Addicted said:

Up here in 'Udders, my Town mates have been berating him since last season because of what they perceived as negative tactics. Mind you, they were over the moon when they beat us and strung a few results together.
    That was his problem - inconsistency. Hope he finds a new job soon. However, with opportunities for black managers being sparse I fear for his prospects.

Edit: @Addicted (sorry!) isn't this an accepted fact, or am I being too unPC for you?
    Whatever, he may be out of work for some time.
  • Options

Addicted said:

Up here in 'Udders, my Town mates have been berating him since last season because of what they perceived as negative tactics. Mind you, they were over the moon when they beat us and strung a few results together.
    That was his problem - inconsistency. Hope he finds a new job soon. However, with opportunities for black managers being sparse I fear for his prospects.

@Addickted - isn't this an accepted fact, or am I being too unPC for you?
    Wrong Addicted

But him losing his job or how quickly he gets another one is nothing to do with him being black
  • Options
    he was doing a good job with a gradually improving, cheaply assembled and quite poorly supported team .. I am surprised, I always considered that the owner, Dean Hoyle, to be a patient and intelligent boss .. the pressure on Championship managers gets deeper every day
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Addicted said:

@Addickted - isn't this an accepted fact, or am I being too unPC for you?
    Wrong Addicted

But him losing his job or how quickly he gets another one is nothing to do with him being black
    I don't disagree with your point. Unfortunately it seems to be a fact nowadays. He'd be the first to tell you.
  • Options
    Barring something spectacular, I think the highest position Huddersfield can reasonably expect to achieve season to season is mid-table in the Championship. This was basically the position they were in when Powell joined and more or less the position they are in now. So what I'm saying is that Chris Powell kept a smallish club in a position higher than it has been since the late 90s. In fact, he's given them slightly higher finishes than the previous season.
  • Options
    Surprised by this. He wasn't doing that bad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Greenie said:

The evidence is there, but I only choose to look at some of it and that points towards the negative.
    That is my reality.

Christ, now the Master Admins on my case and spinning it all up due to lack of an argument........ Nice try.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Get a grip....that would totally push me over the edge bringing him back.

But why, he's clearly failed at Udders????
    Hes not a very good manager.
    This why the feck would we want him back , granted he is probably better than Carol but its not what we need at present.
    Anyway Carol has got the gig.
    The only reason he isn't what we need is he can't possibly work with Roland, but we'd all like him gone too.

It's fair comment that the football under Powell was not always the open attacking stuff we'd all like to see, but he was in the mould of Pragmatic Curbs and, while not quite as brilliant at it as his mentor, he showed himself able to do a decent impression of Curbs and cut his cloth according to his resources and keep a team relatively tough to beat. yeah we lost more than we'd like in his final season, but we were still light years ahead of the utter shambles we are now. At least you got the impression everyone gave a shit and was still bloody trying!

He's definitely an excellent man manager so would bring the players together and the vast majority of fans would firmly be on his side too. Lots of friends and contacts in the game and knows the league very well. Sounds like exactly the kind of manager we need right now, to me, but about as much chance of Pep Guardiola showing up while Roland is in charge.
  • Options

Mixed reaction up here, the camp is pretty much split 50 / 50 (or maybe slightly 55 / 45 he should have gone.

The football has been atrocious to watch, absolutely dire. Our attendances have plummeted as a result (we were getting more in league 1 such is the mood re match day enjoyment).

This season we have started with 3 wins in 16.

Last season we ended with 3 wins in 17

Yes we have sold some key Players, we have also brought some quality in though (granted mainly on loan). Really good Players the likes of Emyr Huws who was transferred to Wigan for £3m a year ago. Jamie Paterson from Forest, Mustapha Carayol from Borough etc.

The ones we sold were also here last season when we finished with 3 wins out of the last 17.........(so this argument doesnt stack up).

Defend, defend, defend and usually set out to not lose a match rather than try and win it (which is reflected in a lot of draws). Our quality is more in our attacking Players and not our defenders thus this approach is flawed. We simply cannot rely on keeping a clean sheet to try and win a match.

The timing is strange as for once, he set us up last night at Reading to actually try and win a match, a much more positive Team selection and formation. We played really well as a result. If only he had done this more I believe he could have done really well for us.

I wish him well and to be honest, I am not sure he will be that bothered. Never got the impression he setlled and I believe his family are still in the London area. I think on reflection he will be looking forward to another opportunity closer to home. His popularity and standing in the game means he wont have to wait long.

Fair enough comments.

I think Powell is a young learning manager with the fear and hurt of losing still overwhelms him and gives him perhaps what might look like the overly cautious approach. A mixed bag of realism.

I think in 10 or so years he will be a bigger name in English football. In fact I'm sure of it. It's just not something that's round the corner, just yet. I can't see him ever managing in the premier league at the moment but I hope that perception changes. He's a strong character that will take things on board and not give up.

It will be a good experience for him that he takes to another club.
  • Options
    braydex said:

He wouldn't come back. CP is a man of principles. Anyone willing to work for RD and KM is either desperate. Mad or in debt to him. CP is none of those. Why are people still thinking beyond KF? He will be appointed. It's all about timing that's all.

yeah but lets face it with 5 managers sacked in 20 months, whilst it may only be a matter of time before faraye is appointed, it is also only a matter of time before he is sacked.
  • Options
    As we have covered Chris Powell and his talents as a manager for and against.
    The manager/ head coach who is an interesting watch at the Moment is the other
    Chris ? Hughton who has got Brighton to the top of the league with the help of
    3 from this Parish, Jones,Roberts and Stephens.
    Brighton went for Hughton who had got Birmingham into the play offs despite all the rubbish that was going on with the owner.
    Did OK at Newcastle considering it was his 1st job as manager, and had a decent 1st season at Norwich who rescued him was the mismanagement at Brum.
    Serve his time as a coach, before getting into management and his stock is rising at the sea gulls.
    British manager who know the championship well and the only networks he knows is the one which leads to other football people in the business.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

As we have covered Chris Powell and his talents as a manager for and against.
    The manager/ head coach who is an interesting watch at the Moment is the other
    Chris ? Hughton who has got Brighton to the top of the league with the help of
    3 from this Parish, Jones,Roberts and Stephens.
    Brighton went for Hughton who had got Birmingham into the play offs despite all the rubbish that was going on with the owner.
    Did OK at Newcastle considering it was his 1st job as manager, and had a decent 1st season at Norwich who rescued him was the mismanagement at Brum.
    Serve his time as a coach, before getting into management and his stock is rising at the sea gulls.
    British manager who know the championship well and the only networks he knows is the one which leads to other football people in the business.

Yes was thinking about him yesterday. There used to be a list of kind of Championship safe pairs of hands type managers. People in the Mick McCarthy, Neil Warnock type mould. Managers who aren't going to revolutionise football with some magic new tactic, but will steer you well clear of trouble and might get a promotion now and then and I was thinking who are the new breed of this type (McCarthy obviously still around).

Houghton was a name that sprung to mind, Sean Dyche is another, maybe Kenny Jackett. Dunno about you, but I'd kill for someone like that to be managing us right now, but I think all the obvious examples are in work and I doubt we will be paying any compo to anyone anytime soon
  • Options
    Greenie said:

LoOkOuT said:

Greenie said:

The evidence is there, but I only choose to look at some of it and that points towards the negative.
    That is my reality.

Christ, now the Master Admins on my case and spinning it all up due to lack of an argument........ Nice try.
    This is an intervention. Only because we love you mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Greenie said:

D_F_T said:

D_F_T said:

I'd imagine that's the end of his managerial career. He tried but failed at 2 clubs now. A good man and a nice guy but hasn't got what it takes to be a manager.

I mean I don't want to sound like a broken record, but how exactly did he fail at Charlton?
    Errr, we were bottom of the league playing shite football. Do you really need an explanation?
    I'm not going to argue with your comment on the football we played, as we never played the most attractive football under Powell. But yeah if a 40% win record over his tenure, winning a league title with record points, finishing 9th in the league above the following year is counted as a failure then you have some pretty ridiculous high standards for a manager to be counted as a success.

Also, once again, yes we were bottom of the table, but we had 4 games in hand.... FOUR games.
    Great grasp of reality that........we were losing games hand over fist we were only heading one way, and thats not up..........if you cant see that then theres no point in having this debate (again)
    Hilarious. I think a more accurate statement would be that if you reckon you can state exactly how a season would have turned out 4 months later then there's no point in having the debate with you. There is absolutely no way of telling how things would have worked out. We might have won every single game, we might have lost every single game. Stating as fact that the only way we were going was down is just silly.

What is factual about Powell is he's been a manager for five years and in that time has won a title, which most managers go their whole careers without doing, and did it with a record points total. He also took that same squad to 9th a league up the next year. He kept an under-funded squad competitive - more competitive than this one is right now - and kept Huddersfield up despite having his best players sold out from under him. He's also not been relegated as manager yet. It could all get much better or much worse for him but that CV is not one of a manager who isn't very good.
    That's given me a great laugh Powell oversaw the worst game I've ever seen Daggers away! Christ it was woeful.
    He then gets a hat full of dough buys some quality players and wins the league.
    Gets into the champ and is 'successful' cos he gets us 9th. He then nearly relegates us but the owner sees whats happening outs him and Riga plays attacking football and keeps us up.
    Have I missed anything.
    We do some right delusional pilchards supporting us!
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

D_F_T said:

D_F_T said:

I'd imagine that's the end of his managerial career. He tried but failed at 2 clubs now. A good man and a nice guy but hasn't got what it takes to be a manager.

I mean I don't want to sound like a broken record, but how exactly did he fail at Charlton?
    Errr, we were bottom of the league playing shite football. Do you really need an explanation?
    I'm not going to argue with your comment on the football we played, as we never played the most attractive football under Powell. But yeah if a 40% win record over his tenure, winning a league title with record points, finishing 9th in the league above the following year is counted as a failure then you have some pretty ridiculous high standards for a manager to be counted as a success.

Also, once again, yes we were bottom of the table, but we had 4 games in hand.... FOUR games.
    Great grasp of reality that........we were losing games hand over fist we were only heading one way, and thats not up..........if you cant see that then theres no point in having this debate (again)
    Hilarious. I think a more accurate statement would be that if you reckon you can state exactly how a season would have turned out 4 months later then there's no point in having the debate with you. There is absolutely no way of telling how things would have worked out. We might have won every single game, we might have lost every single game. Stating as fact that the only way we were going was down is just silly.

What is factual about Powell is he's been a manager for five years and in that time has won a title, which most managers go their whole careers without doing, and did it with a record points total. He also took that same squad to 9th a league up the next year. He kept an under-funded squad competitive - more competitive than this one is right now - and kept Huddersfield up despite having his best players sold out from under him. He's also not been relegated as manager yet. It could all get much better or much worse for him but that CV is not one of a manager who isn't very good.
    That's given me a great laugh Powell oversaw the worst game I've ever seen Daggers away! Christ it was woeful.
    Gets into the champ and is 'successful' cos he gets us 9th. He then nearly relegates us but the owner sees whats happening outs him and Riga plays attacking football and keeps us up.
    Have I missed anything.
    Easy to twist the facts isn't it. Why exactly is it that when Powell puts together a squad that got more points than any squad in history at the time it's 'gets a hat full of dough' - no mention of the fact he picked out and managed those players to a title, no credit there - and when he gets us to within 3 points of the Play-Offs a league up you put successful in inverted commas. How is that not successful exactly? It's higher than Peeters or Luzon managed. So to answer your question yes, you've deliberately missed out loads. You've missed out the lack of investment, which incidentally is why we're all angry at RD this season, and is the reason Powell had such a bad time of it the next year. You've skipped over him having Thuram, Nego, Polish Pete and Reza forced on him and Yann and Stephens sold (two of the quality players you identified in the hatful of dough section). You've basically missed out all the facts and replaced them with speculation and opinion, which isn't quite the same thing. Anyone might think you had an agenda Greenie. You're basically Colin at this point, except at least we all know Colin's taking the piss.

To summarise:

Facts: Powell won League 1 with record points total, finished 9th in Championship the next season, yet to be relegated.

Conjecture: it doesn't count if you have money, we definitely would have been relegated, Powell once managed a terrible game therefore is terrible for all time.
    Or Powell can only be successful when he has better players than the other teams!

Tell you what we'll do then to end this once and for all!
    If Powell gets another gig in the Championship and gets his team in the play offs (just play offs not even promotion) in say 2 seasons I will come on here and say yes mate you were right.
    If he doesn't you can do the same.

• Options

Greenie said:

Ok keep making excuses for him (Powell), the bottom line is, he was sacked from our club for under performing, the football was appalling, as the Hudds poster concurs. (we brought in Riga, who played attacking football and saved us from L1, Powell played defensive, conservative football and there we were heading south).
    The same thing has happened at Udders. Also there are no football journos/commentators saying Powell is the future of English management (I wish there was). How many jobs has Powell been seriously linked with since he left the Valley, none.
    But hey, keep making excuses cos he's a lovely bloke, but is he a good manager? The evidence is there and points towards the negative.
    That is the reality.

On this basis, no manager has ever been a success because every manager has been sacked for underperforming at some point in their career.
    In a nutshell
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

D_F_T said:

D_F_T said:

Have I missed anything.
    Was it actually proven that we ever had a hatful of dough under Slater and Jimenez?
  • Options
    Sheffield United FA cup ?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

D_F_T said:

D_F_T said:

Have I missed anything.
    Easy to twist the facts isn't it. Why exactly is it that when Powell puts together a squad that got more points than any squad in history at the time it's 'gets a hat full of dough' - no mention of the fact he picked out and managed those players to a title, no credit there - and when he gets us to within 3 points of the Play-Offs a league up you put successful in inverted commas. How is that not successful exactly? It's higher than Peeters or Luzon managed. So to answer your question yes, you've deliberately missed out loads. You've missed out the lack of investment, which incidentally is why we're all angry at RD this season, and is the reason Powell had such a bad time of it the next year. You've skipped over him having Thuram, Nego, Polish Pete and Reza forced on him and Yann and Stephens sold (two of the quality players you identified in the hatful of dough section). You've basically missed out all the facts and replaced them with speculation and opinion, which isn't quite the same thing. Anyone might think you had an agenda Greenie. You're basically Colin at this point, except at least we all know Colin's taking the piss.

To summarise:

Facts: Powell won League 1 with record points total, finished 9th in Championship the next season, yet to be relegated.

Conjecture: it doesn't count if you have money, we definitely would have been relegated, Powell once managed a terrible game therefore is terrible for all time.
    Or Powell can only be successful when he has better players than the other teams!

Tell you what we'll do then to end this once and for all!
    If Powell gets another gig in the Championship and gets his team in the play offs (just play offs not even promotion) in say 2 seasons I will come on here and say yes mate you were right.
    If he doesn't you can do the same.

And who picked those players? Chris Powell. That was part of his job! If reports are to be believed, Slater and Jimenez picked him a couple of players, and they were Mikel Alonso and Leon Clarke. Just goes to show the impact a manager who knows how to spot a player can have. I think that's Powell's great strength. He is defensive and he makes substitutions way too late but he knows exactly the kind of player he needs to get in. You can hardly use him signing a great squad against him.

See, that deal doesn't really work, because what I was trying to say from the start is whether you love Powell or not, whether you want him back or never want to see him again, a manager who in five years of management has won a title, not been relegated and got within three points of the Championship Play-Offs with the same squad that won L1 shouldn't be called a bad manager. I'm not really interested in subjective interpretations of success - did he get to the Play-Offs by 2017? No? Shoot him! - the facts will do me just fine.