Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell sacked from Huddersfield.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2015

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

D_F_T said:

D_F_T said:

I'd imagine that's the end of his managerial career. He tried but failed at 2 clubs now. A good man and a nice guy but hasn't got what it takes to be a manager.

I mean I don't want to sound like a broken record, but how exactly did he fail at Charlton?
    Errr, we were bottom of the league playing shite football. Do you really need an explanation?
    I'm not going to argue with your comment on the football we played, as we never played the most attractive football under Powell. But yeah if a 40% win record over his tenure, winning a league title with record points, finishing 9th in the league above the following year is counted as a failure then you have some pretty ridiculous high standards for a manager to be counted as a success.

Also, once again, yes we were bottom of the table, but we had 4 games in hand.... FOUR games.
    Great grasp of reality that........we were losing games hand over fist we were only heading one way, and thats not up..........if you cant see that then theres no point in having this debate (again)
    Hilarious. I think a more accurate statement would be that if you reckon you can state exactly how a season would have turned out 4 months later then there's no point in having the debate with you. There is absolutely no way of telling how things would have worked out. We might have won every single game, we might have lost every single game. Stating as fact that the only way we were going was down is just silly.

What is factual about Powell is he's been a manager for five years and in that time has won a title, which most managers go their whole careers without doing, and did it with a record points total. He also took that same squad to 9th a league up the next year. He kept an under-funded squad competitive - more competitive than this one is right now - and kept Huddersfield up despite having his best players sold out from under him. He's also not been relegated as manager yet. It could all get much better or much worse for him but that CV is not one of a manager who isn't very good.
    That's given me a great laugh Powell oversaw the worst game I've ever seen Daggers away! Christ it was woeful.
    He then gets a hat full of dough buys some quality players and wins the league.
    Gets into the champ and is 'successful' cos he gets us 9th. He then nearly relegates us but the owner sees whats happening outs him and Riga plays attacking football and keeps us up.
    Have I missed anything.
    We do some right delusional pilchards supporting us!
    A conclusion I draw virtually every time I read your posts.
    Really Sonny? Oh dear a personal keyboard insult from a warrior.
  • Options
    You guys....

Come on, its been done to death no one will make Greenie change his opinion. Everyone has a right to their own opinion (even if we think its shit!!) :-)

Anyway more important things to worry about.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

D_F_T said:

D_F_T said:

I'd imagine that's the end of his managerial career. He tried but failed at 2 clubs now. A good man and a nice guy but hasn't got what it takes to be a manager.

I mean I don't want to sound like a broken record, but how exactly did he fail at Charlton?
    Errr, we were bottom of the league playing shite football. Do you really need an explanation?
    I'm not going to argue with your comment on the football we played, as we never played the most attractive football under Powell. But yeah if a 40% win record over his tenure, winning a league title with record points, finishing 9th in the league above the following year is counted as a failure then you have some pretty ridiculous high standards for a manager to be counted as a success.

Also, once again, yes we were bottom of the table, but we had 4 games in hand.... FOUR games.
    Great grasp of reality that........we were losing games hand over fist we were only heading one way, and thats not up..........if you cant see that then theres no point in having this debate (again)
    Hilarious. I think a more accurate statement would be that if you reckon you can state exactly how a season would have turned out 4 months later then there's no point in having the debate with you. There is absolutely no way of telling how things would have worked out. We might have won every single game, we might have lost every single game. Stating as fact that the only way we were going was down is just silly.

What is factual about Powell is he's been a manager for five years and in that time has won a title, which most managers go their whole careers without doing, and did it with a record points total. He also took that same squad to 9th a league up the next year. He kept an under-funded squad competitive - more competitive than this one is right now - and kept Huddersfield up despite having his best players sold out from under him. He's also not been relegated as manager yet. It could all get much better or much worse for him but that CV is not one of a manager who isn't very good.
    That's given me a great laugh Powell oversaw the worst game I've ever seen Daggers away! Christ it was woeful.
    Gets into the champ and is 'successful' cos he gets us 9th. He then nearly relegates us but the owner sees whats happening outs him and Riga plays attacking football and keeps us up.
    Have I missed anything.
    With the greatest respect Greenie it might just be that us pilchards get a bit touchy when we are called delusional. We just see things differently to you plums :-)

• Options
    Curb_It said:

You guys....

Come on, its been done to death no one will make Greenie change his opinion. Everyone has a right to their own opinion (even if we think its shit!!) :-)

Agreed, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and the great thing about forums like this is that you can debate those opinions with people who have different views to you. However it was Greenie who decided to revert to personal insults, and apparent anger at people who have a different (and in my opinion well argued) views to himself.

That being said, I did enjoy the use of 'pilchards' as an insults.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

You guys....

Agreed, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and the great thing about forums like this is that you can debate those opinions with people who have different views to you. However it was Greenie who decided to revert to personal insults, and apparent anger at people who have a different (and in my opinion well argued) views to himself.

That being said, I did enjoy the use of 'pilchards' as an insults.
    "Pilchards" was good....but I preferred "winkles" from a few weeks back.
  • Options
    david wagner, jurgen klopps previous assistant appointed as head coach
  • Options
    edited November 2015

When we went up to the Championship Powell wanted Yannick Bolasie, Jason Shackell, Dean Hammond, Stephen Quinn and Sone Aluko. Every single one of them subsequently went on to play Premiership football with teams that got promoted and were central parts those squads. One of my biggest disappointments as a Charlton fan is that we lost that momentum going up with Cash pulling his funding out. We finished 3 points off the play-offs with Pritchard, Wagstaff and Obika in our team. Imagine what we could have done with the players Powell wanted.

As impressive as that list is it is it's not the identifying of the players that is the most difficult, it's paying for them. As great as the League One season was, and I take nothing away from Chris Powell, it was identified before the season started, by the rivals for promotion, that we had signed all the best players in the division. It is a lot easier to be successful when you have a much better squad than the teams you are competing against. In fact there is an argument that with the same squad finishing 9th the season after anything other than walking League One would have been a failure.

I'm just putting a different slant on it as I don't believe that Powell was a fantastic manager or a rubbish one. He was somewhere in between and many of the posters on here seem to have one polar view or the other.
    I think you'll find it's the exact opposite. Paying for players is easy; need money, pay money. You can either do it or you can't, and you cut your cloth accordingly. If it's so easy to buy your way to success then why are Chelsea currently 15th? Manchester United have been the big spenders recently, why haven't they won the league? Real Madrid spend insane money every season, Barce has still finished above them. Chelsea paid £50m for Fernando Torres, £30m for Andriy Shevchenko. Utd paid £7m for Bebe without even seeing him play! I can't think of a more perfect example of the disparity in significance and ease between paying for a player and identifying the right attributes.

When you say that it was identified by our rivals that we had signed the best players in the division, you do know that's nonsense right? We got Michael Morrison for next to nothing from Sheffield Wednesday because they just didn't want him. We picked up Yann Kermorgant on a free, whose only public exposure as a player was his penalty miss. He was a laughing stock. We got Matt Taylor on a free from Exeter, got unwanted Leon Cort on loan from fellow Championship side Burnley, signed Reading's reserve goalkeeper and picked up Bradley Pritchard from non-league Hayes & Yeading. The only players we really stole a march on were Rhoys Wiggins, and Watford were in for him so we were hardly flexing our financial muscle before a tiny club, and Danny Green, who we were always going to get ahead of Sheffield Wednesday as he wanted to come back and prove himself at Charlton.

So many teams live and die by their recruitment process, it's a hugely, hugely difficult job. We slipped out of the Premier League because we let an ogre sign Djimi Traore, Amdy Faye and what was left of Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink instead of decent players to improve our squad. We slipped even further down because we let an ego with a nose sign Therry Racon, Luke Varney, Dean Sinclair, Stuart Fleetwood, Yassin Mouatouakil and Andy Gray. While we're on the subject of Andy Gray, Parky told Pardew that instead of Gray he should go for Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. Pardew ignored him. Ebanks-Blake went on to play in the Premier League and Andy Gray went on to score on his 13th Charlton appearance. Which was tougher there? Chucking £1.5m at a player or picking the right one? This season we're suffering because we have identified players who we can get on the cheap with no Championship experience and no thought as to their fitness. I think if you added up all the games Kashi, Ba, Makienok, Ceballos and Bergdich played last year, between them it wouldn't make up a full season. That's why they're cheap and that's why they're all getting injured. Identifying players is the hard part.
    I agree with a lot of that but your first paragraph is, frankly, rubbish. Suggesting that Chelsea have failed to buy their way to success clearly misses the point that since Abramovich has come in they have won four Premier League Titles, four FA Cups, three League Cups the UEFA Cup and the European Cup. I would suggest that proves that money can buy success, and I'd bet my house that no scouting and player identifying would have won those honours without the money! Why haven't Man Utd won the League recently (they won in in 2013!)? Maybe it has something to do with their being two other teams (that have one it once since Man Utd last won it) that have also spent hundreds of millions of pounds on players. Comparing Real Madrid and Barcelona is about as sensible. Barcelona don't sign all their players on free transfers do they? However, all that pales into insignificance with your assertion that spending the money is easy. Maybe I didn't make myself clear, although I'm sure you deliberately chose to ignore the actual point, it's difficult to have the money to spend. Sure spending it is easy but it's not easy to find someone to give it to you.

Airman's suggestion that there was very little money spent is a better indicator of Powell's ability to identify a player but even that doesn't justify providing a list of players, that Powell was interested in, doing well years after the event. I don't have the information to hand but I'd be interested to know how much money Yannick Bolasie, Jason Shackell, Dean Hammond, Stephen Quinn and Sone Aluko would have cost in 2013. My point was that it's easy to ask for players (irrespective as to how good they would be) it is harder to find someone to 'give' you the money to pay for them.

Anyway I'm not interested in an argument about Powell - I liked and respected the bloke as much as anyone else and I didn't want him sacked when he left. I just object to the use of irresponsible arguments and random facts to make a point.
  • Options

david wagner, jurgen klopps previous assistant appointed as head coach

interesting appointment
  • Options
    Sounds like they had already spoke to Wagner before SCP was sacked at Huddersfield. Sounds like Huddersfield have stabbed SCP in the back.
  • Options

Sounds like they had already spoke to Wagner before SCP was sacked at Huddersfield. Sounds like Huddersfield have stabbed SCP in the back.

Think its becoming the norm now I'm afraid... Its almost like selling your best Striker, no point getting rid of him if you know that he can be replaced, same with the Manager, if the ones you want arent available, no point getting rid and replacing them with a no hoper

*This is in reference to a club in the real world and is by no means in reference to the dreamworld of RD / KM
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

You guys....

Come on, its been done to death no one will make Greenie change his opinion.

well who made him change his opinion on the Belgian freaks
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

D_F_T said:

D_F_T said:

Have I missed anything.
    Ha so you can allude to people as "pilchards" in a general sense, yet when I turn your own phrase back on yourself, I'm a keyboard warrior? Yet more intelligent rationale.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

You guys....

Come on, its been done to death no one will make Greenie change his opinion.

well who made him change his opinion on the Belgian freaks

Duchatelet.

• Options

When we went up to the Championship Powell wanted Yannick Bolasie, Jason Shackell, Dean Hammond, Stephen Quinn and Sone Aluko. Every single one of them subsequently went on to play Premiership football with teams that got promoted and were central parts those squads. One of my biggest disappointments as a Charlton fan is that we lost that momentum going up with Cash pulling his funding out. We finished 3 points off the play-offs with Pritchard, Wagstaff and Obika in our team. Imagine what we could have done with the players Powell wanted.

I'm just putting a different slant on it as I don't believe that Powell was a fantastic manager or a rubbish one. He was somewhere in between and many of the posters on here seem to have one polar view or the other.
    I think you'll find it's the exact opposite. Paying for players is easy; need money, pay money. You can either do it or you can't, and you cut your cloth accordingly. If it's so easy to buy your way to success then why are Chelsea currently 15th? Manchester United have been the big spenders recently, why haven't they won the league? Real Madrid spend insane money every season, Barce has still finished above them. Chelsea paid £50m for Fernando Torres, £30m for Andriy Shevchenko. Utd paid £7m for Bebe without even seeing him play! I can't think of a more perfect example of the disparity in significance and ease between paying for a player and identifying the right attributes.

So many teams live and die by their recruitment process, it's a hugely, hugely difficult job. We slipped out of the Premier League because we let an ogre sign Djimi Traore, Amdy Faye and what was left of Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink instead of decent players to improve our squad. We slipped even further down because we let an ego with a nose sign Therry Racon, Luke Varney, Dean Sinclair, Stuart Fleetwood, Yassin Mouatouakil and Andy Gray. While we're on the subject of Andy Gray, Parky told Pardew that instead of Gray he should go for Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. Pardew ignored him. Ebanks-Blake went on to play in the Premier League and Andy Gray went on to score on his 13th Charlton appearance. Which was tougher there? Chucking £1.5m at a player or picking the right one? This season we're suffering because we have identified players who we can get on the cheap with no Championship experience and no thought as to their fitness. I think if you added up all the games Kashi, Ba, Makienok, Ceballos and Bergdich played last year, between them it wouldn't make up a full season. That's why they're cheap and that's why they're all getting injured. Identifying players is the hard part.
    I agree with a lot of that but your first paragraph is, frankly, rubbish. Suggesting that Chelsea have failed to buy their way to success clearly misses the point that since Abramovich has come in they have won four Premier League Titles, four FA Cups, three League Cups the UEFA Cup and the European Cup. I would suggest that proves that money can buy success, and I'd bet my house that no scouting and player identifying would have won those honours without the money! Why haven't Man Utd won the League recently (they won in in 2013!)? Maybe it has something to do with their being two other teams (that have one it once since Man Utd last won it) that have also spent hundreds of millions of pounds on players. Comparing Real Madrid and Barcelona is about as sensible. Barcelona don't sign all their players on free transfers do they? However, all that pales into insignificance with your assertion that spending the money is easy. Maybe I didn't make myself clear, although I'm sure you deliberately chose to ignore the actual point, it's difficult to have the money to spend. Sure spending it is easy but it's not easy to find someone to give it to you.

Airman's suggestion that there was very little money spent is a better indicator of Powell's ability to identify a player but even that doesn't justify providing a list of players, that Powell was interested in, doing well years after the event. I don't have the information to hand but I'd be interested to know how much money Yannick Bolasie, Jason Shackell, Dean Hammond, Stephen Quinn and Sone Aluko would have cost in 2013. My point was that it's easy to ask for players (irrespective as to how good they would be) it is harder to find someone to 'give' you the money to pay for them.

Anyway I'm not interested in an argument about Powell - I liked and respected the bloke as much as anyone else and I didn't want him sacked when he left. I just object to the use of irresponsible arguments and random facts to make a point.
    When did I say Chelsea have failed to buy their way to success? What I actually said was that it's easier to spend than it is to identify the right player, as evidenced by the fact the teams who spend the most money every year don't automatically win the league. The year Chelsea signed Shevchenko, Man Utd only signed Michael Carrick for £13m. Guess which one won the league that year! Yay! Not the one who spent loads of money! Almost like it was more important to identify the areas of the squad that needed tweaking and bring the right player in the just chuck money at the team! I didn't deliberately ignore anything. You said 'it's not the identifying of the players that is the most difficult, it's paying for them' which as we all know and I have explained, is horseshit. In fact, you've even proved my point with your own post here: 'Why haven't Man Utd won the League recently (they won in in 2013!)? Maybe it has something to do with their being two other teams (that have one it once since Man Utd last won it) that have also spent hundreds of millions of pounds on players'. Exactly! That's my point! There's three teams with absolutely stacks of money, and the one that identifies the best players is the one who wins, not the one who spends the most. Spending: easy. Buying the right players: tough.

Also, can I draw your attention to your own post again: You wrote 'However, all that pales into insignificance with your assertion that spending the money is easy.' Then one sentence later you wrote 'Sure spending it is easy but it's not easy to find someone to give it to you'. I'm not sure you've thought your posts through.

• Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

D_F_T said:

D_F_T said:

Have I missed anything.
    Ha so you can allude to people as "pilchards" in a general sense, yet when I turn your own phrase back on yourself, I'm a keyboard warrior? Yet more intelligent rationale.
    Think about it Sonny, just try. My original response was absolutely nothing to do with you was it. You weren't even involved in the quote.
    You fancied jumping in and insulted me directly.
    But hey, if you consider yourself a 'pilchard' crack on.
  • Options

There has been mention up here about his long term win ratio tailing off, but style of play appears to be the main issue. Wagner appears an exciting if slightly risky appointment. Money has been made available in the past at Huddersfield and if it is made available to Wagner, CP can feel slightly hard done by having done a reasonable job and not having the chance to spend big himself.

There is a strong correlation between wages paid and footballing success. To suggest otherwise is nonsense.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

D_F_T said:

D_F_T said:

Have I missed anything.
    Think about it Sonny, just try. My original response was absolutely nothing to do with you was it. You weren't even involved in the quote.
    Condescending speech doesn't really have much impact when the proponent's IQ is lower than their age.

But having given it some thought per your request, it would appear you were indirectly referring to me - because I share the opinion of those you were targeting. Hope that's provided the clarity you sought.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

D_F_T said:

D_F_T said:

Have I missed anything.
    Condescending speech doesn't really have much impact when the proponent's IQ is lower than their age.

But having given it some thought per your request, it would appear you were indirectly referring to me - because I share the opinion of those you were targeting. Hope that's provided the clarity you sought.
    Good one, I like that, a lot!

The second sentence is nicely narcissistic too. Take a look outside, I'm sure you will agree that the world is indeed revolving around you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Considering that CP's last result was a 2-2 at Reading the decision must of been made at least a week before.

Chris Powell's first half season was average in League 1 with the players already here.
    Chris Powell assembled his own team and won League 1 and was Good

Some good and bad decisions the next season but we finish well and ended up 9th in Champ. Very decent.

Tj and Slater run out of Kevin Cash and Chris struggled from the 1st game at Bournemouth when he played a midfield 3 of Gower,Hughes, and Pritchard and
    Left Stephens and Cousins on the bench. That whole season was a personal nightmare for Chris, culminating in the Takeover when his position was untenable with Duchatelet.

The great unknown is, if CP had been given a championship budget, how would he have fared.

CP Tenure as Manager was all shades of Grey,

Not Black and White.

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

No one disputes that, it's why were losing games hand over fist. Many, if not most of us, don't put it down to Powell.

When you back him, he delivers.

Strong rumour up here is he has been talking to Charlton.

He could steady the ship for you. Grind out some draws and avoid defeats.

He loves Charlton Athletic, his heart would be in it and I am sure he would love to give it a go. His heart was never in it here and quietly, he I am sure would tell you that himself.
  • Options

LoOkOuT said:

No one disputes that, it's why were losing games hand over fist. Many, if not most of us, don't put it down to Powell.

When you back him, he delivers.

Strong rumour up here is he has been talking to Charlton.

He could steady the ship for you. Grind out some draws and avoid defeats.

He loves Charlton Athletic, his heart would be in it and I am sure he would love to give it a go. His heart was never in it here and quietly, he I am sure would tell you that himself.
    I can see why that would be an easy rumour but, given the history, I would doubt it very much.

• Options
    edited November 2015

Chris Powell's first half season was average in League 1 with the players already here.

Some good and bad decisions the next season but we finish well and ended up 9th in Champ. Very decent.

I was under the impression that the best of the best in League 1 were identified and recruited by Jeff Vetere for a very handsome sum hence the reason he left Premier League Villa (?) For a role at League 1 Charlton.
  • Options
    Chris Powell has always been forced to work on a budget... the one time he was able to sign a number of players he destroyed the rest of the Division.

Would love to see him with a Queens Park Rangers and have money to splash, only then (if he fails) would he be a bad manager
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I was under the impression that the best of the best in League 1 were identified and recruited by Jeff Vetere for a very handsome sum hence the reason he left Premier League Villa (?) For a role at League 1 Charlton.
    I think the overall point is, we had a proper setup - a scout who knew his onions, and a manger who had final say on who we did and didn't sign who also had a good feel for the right players to fit into what we were trying to do.

No scout or manager gets em all right or em all wrong, but some have a generally better hit rate than others. The current lot signed JBG and Bauer, but they don't necessarily go far enough to cancel out signings like Polish Pete because there have been more Petes than Patricks.
  • Options

As impressive as that list is it is it's not the identifying of the players that is the most difficult, it's paying for them. As great as the League One season was, and I take nothing away from Chris Powell, it was identified before the season started, by the rivals for promotion, that we had signed all the best players in the division. It is a lot easier to be successful when you have a much better squad than the teams you are competing against. In fact there is an argument that with the same squad finishing 9th the season after anything other than walking League One would have been a failure.

When you say that it was identified by our rivals that we had signed the best players in the division, you do know that's nonsense right? We got Michael Morrison for next to nothing from Sheffield Wednesday because they just didn't want him. We picked up Yann Kermorgant on a free, whose only public exposure as a player was his penalty miss. He was a laughing stock. We got Matt Taylor on a free from Exeter, got unwanted Leon Cort on loan from fellow Championship side Burnley, signed Reading's reserve goalkeeper and picked up Bradley Pritchard from non-league Hayes & Yeading. The only players we really stole a march on were Rhoys Wiggins, and Watford were in for him so we were hardly flexing our financial muscle before a tiny club, and Danny Green, who we were always going to get ahead of Sheffield Wednesday as he wanted to come back and prove himself at Charlton.

Totally agree.
    For further reading on Premier League spending woes see Spurs after Gareth Bale or Liverpool after Suarez. Recruitment, whatever the budget, is the part you need to get right.