Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell sacked from Huddersfield.

Comments

• Options

Sounds like they had already spoke to Wagner before SCP was sacked at Huddersfield. Sounds like Huddersfield have stabbed SCP in the back.

• Options

When we went up to the Championship Powell wanted Yannick Bolasie, Jason Shackell, Dean Hammond, Stephen Quinn and Sone Aluko. Every single one of them subsequently went on to play Premiership football with teams that got promoted and were central parts those squads. One of my biggest disappointments as a Charlton fan is that we lost that momentum going up with Cash pulling his funding out. We finished 3 points off the play-offs with Pritchard, Wagstaff and Obika in our team. Imagine what we could have done with the players Powell wanted.

As impressive as that list is it is it's not the identifying of the players that is the most difficult, it's paying for them. As great as the League One season was, and I take nothing away from Chris Powell, it was identified before the season started, by the rivals for promotion, that we had signed all the best players in the division. It is a lot easier to be successful when you have a much better squad than the teams you are competing against. In fact there is an argument that with the same squad finishing 9th the season after anything other than walking League One would have been a failure.

I'm just putting a different slant on it as I don't believe that Powell was a fantastic manager or a rubbish one. He was somewhere in between and many of the posters on here seem to have one polar view or the other.
    I think you'll find it's the exact opposite. Paying for players is easy; need money, pay money. You can either do it or you can't, and you cut your cloth accordingly. If it's so easy to buy your way to success then why are Chelsea currently 15th? Manchester United have been the big spenders recently, why haven't they won the league? Real Madrid spend insane money every season, Barce has still finished above them. Chelsea paid £50m for Fernando Torres, £30m for Andriy Shevchenko. Utd paid £7m for Bebe without even seeing him play! I can't think of a more perfect example of the disparity in significance and ease between paying for a player and identifying the right attributes.

When you say that it was identified by our rivals that we had signed the best players in the division, you do know that's nonsense right? We got Michael Morrison for next to nothing from Sheffield Wednesday because they just didn't want him. We picked up Yann Kermorgant on a free, whose only public exposure as a player was his penalty miss. He was a laughing stock. We got Matt Taylor on a free from Exeter, got unwanted Leon Cort on loan from fellow Championship side Burnley, signed Reading's reserve goalkeeper and picked up Bradley Pritchard from non-league Hayes & Yeading. The only players we really stole a march on were Rhoys Wiggins, and Watford were in for him so we were hardly flexing our financial muscle before a tiny club, and Danny Green, who we were always going to get ahead of Sheffield Wednesday as he wanted to come back and prove himself at Charlton.

So many teams live and die by their recruitment process, it's a hugely, hugely difficult job. We slipped out of the Premier League because we let an ogre sign Djimi Traore, Amdy Faye and what was left of Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink instead of decent players to improve our squad. We slipped even further down because we let an ego with a nose sign Therry Racon, Luke Varney, Dean Sinclair, Stuart Fleetwood, Yassin Mouatouakil and Andy Gray. While we're on the subject of Andy Gray, Parky told Pardew that instead of Gray he should go for Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. Pardew ignored him. Ebanks-Blake went on to play in the Premier League and Andy Gray went on to score on his 13th Charlton appearance. Which was tougher there? Chucking £1.5m at a player or picking the right one? This season we're suffering because we have identified players who we can get on the cheap with no Championship experience and no thought as to their fitness. I think if you added up all the games Kashi, Ba, Makienok, Ceballos and Bergdich played last year, between them it wouldn't make up a full season. That's why they're cheap and that's why they're all getting injured. Identifying players is the hard part.
    Totally agree.
    For further reading on Premier League spending woes see Spurs after Gareth Bale or Liverpool after Suarez. Recruitment, whatever the budget, is the part you need to get right.
    Or Aston Villa this summer with the Benteke/Delph money.

Where things get blurred now, is that the buck usually stops with the manager for rubbish signings, when it's often someone else who's bought them! Pardew can be blamed for the bad signings of his era, who can be blamed for out duff signings over the last 2 years?
  • Options

When we went up to the Championship Powell wanted Yannick Bolasie, Jason Shackell, Dean Hammond, Stephen Quinn and Sone Aluko. Every single one of them subsequently went on to play Premiership football with teams that got promoted and were central parts those squads. One of my biggest disappointments as a Charlton fan is that we lost that momentum going up with Cash pulling his funding out. We finished 3 points off the play-offs with Pritchard, Wagstaff and Obika in our team. Imagine what we could have done with the players Powell wanted.

As impressive as that list is it is it's not the identifying of the players that is the most difficult, it's paying for them. As great as the League One season was, and I take nothing away from Chris Powell, it was identified before the season started, by the rivals for promotion, that we had signed all the best players in the division. It is a lot easier to be successful when you have a much better squad than the teams you are competing against. In fact there is an argument that with the same squad finishing 9th the season after anything other than walking League One would have been a failure.

I'm just putting a different slant on it as I don't believe that Powell was a fantastic manager or a rubbish one. He was somewhere in between and many of the posters on here seem to have one polar view or the other.
    I think you'll find it's the exact opposite. Paying for players is easy; need money, pay money. You can either do it or you can't, and you cut your cloth accordingly. If it's so easy to buy your way to success then why are Chelsea currently 15th? Manchester United have been the big spenders recently, why haven't they won the league? Real Madrid spend insane money every season, Barce has still finished above them. Chelsea paid £50m for Fernando Torres, £30m for Andriy Shevchenko. Utd paid £7m for Bebe without even seeing him play! I can't think of a more perfect example of the disparity in significance and ease between paying for a player and identifying the right attributes.

When you say that it was identified by our rivals that we had signed the best players in the division, you do know that's nonsense right? We got Michael Morrison for next to nothing from Sheffield Wednesday because they just didn't want him. We picked up Yann Kermorgant on a free, whose only public exposure as a player was his penalty miss. He was a laughing stock. We got Matt Taylor on a free from Exeter, got unwanted Leon Cort on loan from fellow Championship side Burnley, signed Reading's reserve goalkeeper and picked up Bradley Pritchard from non-league Hayes & Yeading. The only players we really stole a march on were Rhoys Wiggins, and Watford were in for him so we were hardly flexing our financial muscle before a tiny club, and Danny Green, who we were always going to get ahead of Sheffield Wednesday as he wanted to come back and prove himself at Charlton.

So many teams live and die by their recruitment process, it's a hugely, hugely difficult job. We slipped out of the Premier League because we let an ogre sign Djimi Traore, Amdy Faye and what was left of Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink instead of decent players to improve our squad. We slipped even further down because we let an ego with a nose sign Therry Racon, Luke Varney, Dean Sinclair, Stuart Fleetwood, Yassin Mouatouakil and Andy Gray. While we're on the subject of Andy Gray, Parky told Pardew that instead of Gray he should go for Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. Pardew ignored him. Ebanks-Blake went on to play in the Premier League and Andy Gray went on to score on his 13th Charlton appearance. Which was tougher there? Chucking £1.5m at a player or picking the right one? This season we're suffering because we have identified players who we can get on the cheap with no Championship experience and no thought as to their fitness. I think if you added up all the games Kashi, Ba, Makienok, Ceballos and Bergdich played last year, between them it wouldn't make up a full season. That's why they're cheap and that's why they're all getting injured. Identifying players is the hard part.
    Totally agree.
    For further reading on Premier League spending woes see Spurs after Gareth Bale or Liverpool after Suarez. Recruitment, whatever the budget, is the part you need to get right.
    Or Aston Villa this summer with the Benteke/Delph money.

Where things get blurred now, is that the buck usually stops with the manager for rubbish signings, when it's often someone else who's bought them! Pardew can be blamed for the bad signings of his era, who can be blamed for out duff signings over the last 2 years?
    fraye apparantly so lets hope he's being hung out to dry on saturday before being dispatched
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I was under the impression that the best of the best in League 1 were identified and recruited by Jeff Vetere for a very handsome sum hence the reason he left Premier League Villa (?) For a role at League 1 Charlton.

Wasn't Jeff Vetere's work.
  • Options

I was under the impression that the best of the best in League 1 were identified and recruited by Jeff Vetere for a very handsome sum hence the reason he left Premier League Villa (?) For a role at League 1 Charlton.

What about Mikel Alonso and Ruben Bover?
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

What about Mikel Alonso and Ruben Bover?
    Alonso was Jimenez. Don't know about Bover.
  • Options
    Legend, what ever he does I wish the bloke the best.
  • Options
    Once again don't want to create a new thread but according to the BBC Gossip Column today, the Times are claiming that Queens Park Rangers have interviewed Chris Powell and is between him Hasselbaink and Rowett...

On that basis I reckon Chris could actually get the job there and really hope he does... Would be great to see what he can do at a club where his best players won't be sold to rival clubs in the Championship and having a bit of cash to work with
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Once again don't want to create a new thread but according to the BBC Gossip Column today, the Times are claiming that Queens Park Rangers have interviewed Chris Powell and is between him Hasselbaink and Rowett...

On that basis I reckon Chris could actually get the job there and really hope he does... Would be great to see what he can do at a club where his best players won't be sold to rival clubs in the Championship and having a bit of cash to work with

...wait hang on a minute. QPR were massive BNP sympathising racists a couple of weeks ago for sacking Ramsey
  • Options
    But they've been on a diversity course and are reformed characters.
  • Options
    record breaking, league title winning team but just ok.....
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

IA said:

I think Powell was comfortably our best manager since Curbs.

However, given that it has been an open secret for several months that Huddersfield have been close to sacking him, I think the decision at this point makes sense. The three bottom teams look to be cut adrift, so Huddersfield have a bit of room to let a new manager bed in before making a proper stab at it next season. For whatever reason, they weren't going to give Powell much money to spend, but by doing this now they can do so. It reminds me a bit of Southampton's decision to sack Adkins, though that was a bigger surprise.

I wish the very best to Powell. It might be better for him to take a short break, or maybe not. Would take him back (in the role he would define for himself) in an instant.

Our best manager for what he archived was Lenny Lawrence ......

For his sterling work at the Valley library and records department?
  • Options
    Move on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IAIA
    edited November 2015
    colin1961 said:

IA said:

However, given that it has been an open secret for several months that Huddersfield have been close to sacking him, I think the decision at this point makes sense. The three bottom teams look to be cut adrift, so Huddersfield have a bit of room to let a new manager bed in before making a proper stab at it next season. For whatever reason, they weren't going to give Powell much money to spend, but by doing this now they can do so. It reminds me a bit of Southampton's decision to sack Adkins, though that was a bigger surprise.

I wish the very best to Powell. It might be better for him to take a short break, or maybe not. Would take him back (in the role he would define for himself) in an instant.

Powell proved again ok div one but lacking in championship
    That's nice.

My post started "I think Powell was comfortably our best manager since Curbs."

Was Lennie Lawrence manager before or after Curbs?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    IA said:

colin1961 said:

IA said:

Powell proved again ok div one but lacking in championship
    That's nice.

My post started "I think Powell was comfortably our best manager since Curbs."

Was Lennie Lawrence manager after Curbs?
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Lawrence was before Curbs and had to deal with the club going to within 15 mins of going out of business players not being paid and then losing the Valley yet he still got us promoted to the top division

Everybody knows that and nobody is attempting to argue about Lennie's brillance, but you brought him up when somebody mentioned the post Curbs era.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Lawrence was before Curbs and had to deal with the club going to within 15 mins of going out of business players not being paid and then losing the Valley yet he still got us promoted to the top division

Whereas Powell isnt really that different... He was fortunate that we could sell Jenkinson for money and we got a little bit of money from the Spurs FA Cup match, regardless, other than BWP / Wiggins and one or two others, the side that got us back into the Championship was built on Free Transfers which is a similar achievement.

He then kept us in the Championship and got us to finish 9th with very little extra expenditure and then was only sacked because we were in the relegation zone (with a side which hadnt been improved at all that summer), yet had our owners looked deeper, we were in the relegation zone because we'd played five games less than anyone else because of the bad weather that winter
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Whereas Powell isnt really that different... He was fortunate that we could sell Jenkinson for money and we got a little bit of money from the Spurs FA Cup match, regardless, other than BWP / Wiggins and one or two others, the side that got us back into the Championship was built on Free Transfers which is a similar achievement.

He then kept us in the Championship and got us to finish 9th with very little extra expenditure and then was only sacked because we were in the relegation zone (with a side which hadnt been improved at all that summer), yet had our owners looked deeper, we were in the relegation zone because we'd played five games less than anyone else because of the bad weather that winter
    And don't forget the Cup run, which also contributed to the fixture pile-up.
  • Options
    on Football League tonight, who covered the protest somewhat, saying he would "possibly" come back to Charlton... Spoke graciously and clearly still loves the club.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Huskaris said:

on Football League tonight, who covered the protest somewhat, saying he would "possibly" come back to Charlton... Spoke graciously and clearly still loves the club.

Last time we have him a decent squad he ran away with the league...despite all the shit that's going on at the moment we have got some fantastic players and a decent manager with the full backing of the fans would do very well...