Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans / Club meeting tonight

Comments

• Options
    Can I make a suggestion to @Curb_It or @AFKABartram

Could all of Brenda's meeting notes be amalgamated into one post once done so that it easier to read the whole lot in one go? Rather than having to trawl through posts....
  • Options
    Is there anyway that some of these tweets were hacked and put out there by a Millwall fan to wind the Charlton fans up?
  • Options

rikofold said:

That's fair chaps, and as I say they're doing their job and dragging people to their channels and their advertisers. It was no doubt a naive decision borne of our insistence on no info embargo.

The key observation I'd make is that the context was lost in 140 characters, and it made it sound as if the fans were motionless whilst KM wheeled out some bullshit. The meeting really wasn't like that, although as usual words might have been chosen more carefully. We didn't let her views on the protest go unchallenged, for example, and I felt she did listen to Craig Norris and others making very strong points. The £9m transfer spend didn't go unchallenged. Her managers comment didn't go unchallenged. The question about JJ's goal was a joke and the reporter knew that.

The downside of it is that it will be the Twitter feed that's remembered, when there was more to the meeting - and that's really only given a skewed flavour of it.

But you reap what you sow, and if discontent and disharmony is the result then the club only have themselves to blame.

I have one question on the evening that hopefully you can answer.

Did it sound like she is going to change anything about how the club is run?

As I said in an earlier comment, after reading yours, Curb it's and Seths reports, it sounds like that while fans did challenge her, she still believes in the nonsense she is sprouting, and nothing will actually change except maybe a few more meetings with a carefully picked bunch of people.

Look forward to hearing what you think may come of it.
    I don't think I'd be confident of a sea change no, although we asked for that. She did commit to some actions of various significance, the most important of which was Target 20k that I think could be an opportunity to influence all aspects of the club if they commit to the right type of committee (and to avoid the usual nonsense from the Trust's biggest fans, no I don't mean the Trust should take over).

There's a commonly held view among fans that a change of leadership is the only solution, and the only way she can head that pressure off is to commit to visible change in action-and its not as if she'll be afforded years by the fans to achieve that.
  • Options
    Just reading the comments from @Curb_It (thank you for your posts BTW), it seems the press present tweeted a lot of stuff out of context & failed to expand on what they'd tweeted - very poor on their part & probably caused a lot of the meltdown last night, I await the video with interest
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FCVerified account ‏@CAFCofficial 12 mins12 minutes ago
    This will be available on YouTube this afternoon. In the meantime, last night's presentation will be online at midday #cafc

FANS' MEETING | Due to the length of last night's meeting, the full, unedited video is taking a long time to process #cafc
  • Options

Is there anyway that some of these tweets were hacked and put out there by a Millwall fan to wind the Charlton fans up?

Not by the Shopper. They are standing by their tweets and citing the similarity of the other bloke's tweets as proof they were on the money
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Interesting to compare the reaction to the tweet about her hatred of older fans versus what was actually said.

KM: Yes I know the interview was translated twice and badly. I was talking about bringing in different things for the younger fans, like family zone etc. Older fans are upset but I wasn't discriminating against the elderly. It is bad business if you don't value your customers, a [%] of our fans are over 50. 
  • Options
    Given the event was stage-managed by the club and featured only invited guests, why didn't they simply live stream it on YouTube? Easy to do. That way we could have all made up our minds based on the full facts from the outset?

Instead it was left to fans to follow an important moment in club/fan relations through the medium of Twitter, which isn't ideal. Although I don't think the press warped anything to fit an agenda, all the quotes from various media sources there seemed to tally with one another, and I doubt the reporters were taking the time to get their stories lined up with each other before tweeting.
  • Options
    So this is the guy who discovered Christophe LePoint and co?
    http://www.watford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=96724
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Interesting to compare the reaction to the tweet about her hatred of older fans versus what was actually said.

KM: Yes I know the interview was translated twice and badly. I was talking about bringing in different things for the younger fans, like family zone etc. Older fans are upset but I wasn't discriminating against the elderly. It is bad business if you don't value your customers, a [%] of our fans are over 50. 

What was 'actually' said according to KM you mean.
  • Options

PL54 said:

No, according to Curb it
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Curb_It said:

Fan: Remind us of the motivation of Roland Duchatelet? What's the timescale of premiership?

KM: Our strategy is a sustainable business from a mix of player's sales and [I cant flipping read this bit]. I think she said something along the lines that RD will review in January if we were doing well. [snigger].

Fan: I think this was the guy that said he wasn't renewing or hadn't renewed after years. I saw the quote in the press. It was a great quote:

"How can you get 20k fans in. A sofa wont work Nor a DJ!"

KM: I want to reach out to fans with different tastes. WE have launched Target 20k. We want input from the fans.

Fan: There are fans in this room that have an awful lot of club knowledge. Unfortunately the previous owners removed most of the staff that had all the knowledge. There is a tradition at this club to engage with fans. We want you to understand this.

KM: The fans forum will be used for this.

Right meeting now... back in a bit but only a little bit more

STAND UP!

Do we have to stand up until your meeting finishes?
    :-)
    Like others I'm grateful to you going to the trouble to do this!
  • Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

No, according to Curb it
    via KM, yes.
  • Options

Charlton Athletic FCVerified account ‏@CAFCofficial 12 mins12 minutes ago
    This will be available on YouTube this afternoon. In the meantime, last night's presentation will be online at midday #cafc

FANS' MEETING | Due to the length of last night's meeting, the full, unedited video is taking a long time to hack up and edit to try and bullshit the fans even more #cafc

• Options

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

No, according to Curb it
    via KM, yes.
    Both Curb it and the journo heard the same thing but have presented it quite differently
  • Options

Just reading the comments from @Curb_It (thank you for your posts BTW), it seems the press present tweeted a lot of stuff out of context & failed to expand on what they'd tweeted - very poor on their part & probably caused a lot of the meltdown last night, I await the video with interest

Don't think you can blame the press. They used twitter to report sound bites from the meeting and CL, including myself, collectively forgot the limitations of twitter as a reporting tool and spent several hours over reacting to those tweets
    Thing is the press tweeted about the older fans comment last night & I made a stupid remark about the House DJ in crossbars, but at no point did the NS or anyone else tweet that KM said that she wasn't discriminating against the elderly or the fact that it's bad business if you don't value your customers.

By not tweeting that, it completely changes the tone/context of what was said
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

No, according to Curb it
    via KM, yes.
    Both Curb it and the journo heard the same thing but have presented it quite differently
    I meant as opposed to the original interview which KM claims to have been lost in translation.
  • Options

Don't think you can blame the press. They used twitter to report sound bites from the meeting and CL, including myself, collectively forgot the limitations of twitter as a reporting tool and spent several hours over reacting to those tweets
    Thing is the press tweeted about the older fans comment last night & I made a stupid remark about the House DJ in crossbars, but at no point did the NS or anyone else tweet that KM said that she wasn't discriminating against the elderly or the fact that it's bad business if you don't value your customers.

By not tweeting that, it completely changes the tone/context of what was said
    But that is the point. You cannot convey tone/context on twitter. It was a salutary lesson about the limitations of twitter.
    I think it was journalist mischief
  • Options

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

No, according to Curb it
    via KM, yes.
    I meant as opposed to the original interview which KM claims to have been lost in translation.
    Maybe, ...but it's the reporting of the response to the enquiry about the translation that we're talking about. Curb_it says KM said 'didn't mean to offend, most of our fans are over 50' but my (and many others) first impression of the journo's tweet last night was 'we've got too many over 50's'
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Richard Murray has not come out of this with any credit, on a couple of occasions a difficult question is asked and he tries to deflect by saying "what would you do" this is very odd behaviour and almost shows a bit of arrogance.

I was not at the meeting and am just reading a view snippets so it may be I am taking it the wrong way so will I suppose wait until the video.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Richard Murray has not come out of this with any credit, on a couple of occasions a difficult question is asked and he tries to deflect by saying "what would you do" this is very odd behaviour and almost shows a bit of arrogance.

I was not at the meeting and am just reading a view snippets so it may be I am taking it the wrong way so will I suppose wait until the video.

It's not the first time that RM has come back with 'what would you do' at supporters Q&A meetings