Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fans / Club meeting tonight

Comments

• edited November 2015

Taking on board the comments that she had already told us before and mentioning the black and white, I thought it was a good presentation.

It does, indeed, confirm their strategic goal(s) even if it doesn't explain how they intend to achieve them.

I didn't think she presented very well but chances are I have an exceptionally talented group of friends and peers in this regard so I might have been comparing her to the wrong group. She wasn't helped by the distortion from the microphone, and the question from the audience was not loud enough to hear which is a worry for what to espect from the whole meeting video.

Some observations that I think might question the true value of the clubs achievements:

When she says we are the most affordable club in London is that just comparing the £150 season tickets? I ask because they are completely sold out and unless you have one I don't believe you can't get one. Also some (maybe many) of them sit elsewhere so they shouldn't be getting them for that price and are not occupying the seats that they are paying for.

The point about paying academy players that are not good enough and in games that we lose is not as impressive as it sounds, but has already been mentioned.

The £9m on transfers is useless unless we know what the net spend it. If Joe gomez did go for £6m then, with Kermorgant and Stephens alone, the £1.1m previously doesn't seem so small.

I also note that she didn't hang around on the photo of the fans on the Sofa, which I believe has gone now.

As I say, overall, it is a well put together presentation, but I wouldn't have expected any less. It is, also, very one sided, but that#s exact;y what I would expect too.

I loved that JJ arrived after she started!

These were £175 this season, now £200, but they didn't sell out A block in the east stand this time around and sold very few in the additional H block of the west stand.

I think you are right that the external analysis is hopelessly skewed by a relatively small number of seat prices, although there are enough "affordable" tickets for the club to argue it offers reasonable prices.
  • 9 million spent on players - Was Polish Pete, Tuc and (whats) LePointe 3 of those, if so then we need to keep her greasy hands away from the cheque book.
  • rikofold said:

bobmunro said:

Apologies if it's already been mentioned - I've tried to trawl through 30 odd pages but was beginning to lose the will to live. Is there an official (early) evaluation of the meeting from the Trust? Do the Trust still believe that continuing to campaign for meaningful dialogue is still the way to go?

They're waiting to watch the video
    Correct.
    Only Steve and I were at the meeting, so it's important that the board gets the full picture before we finalise our response to the evening.

Speaking personally, I wasn't overly impressed at the over-management of the meeting, nor that it was not the meeting we were invited to. I welcomed the presentation, although it would be nice if just for once there wasn't the kind of overly-positive spin on things. We get the club wants to break even, so showing how you're covering the funds spent on incoming transfers is important and not necessary to hide. This is part of my own frustration, that when the club gets the chance to be a little more open they still feel what we need to hear is the garden's rosy. We don't, we want to be brought into the true picture.

Another example is the budget. Up 40% since they arrived, but then we all know it was pitiful in the last throes of the cowboys. As I understand it, this year's comparative playing budget is better than 3rd bottom (last year) but not hugely. That means you have to get other things spectacularly right - like the academy and particularly the coaching - to overperform against that budget and start to reach for the express ambition. The academy side seems to be going well in that regard, so why not say something like; "This model is going to take time to get right and to work itself through. We won't let the club go down in that period, but it will mean a slow build to be competitive at the upper end of the Championship and we ask for your patience and to make the difference whilst we develop it." I think most of us are reasonable enough to get that - because the spin is hope deferred, which as the proverb goes makes the heart sick. If you imply we're splashing out we're just going to question mediocrity all the more, and trust the club less. That is, improving budgets should mean better performances, but if every other club improves by the same amount...

But I do think the presentation was a big step in the right direction, personally.
    I don't suppose many would be surprised at all by your last statement. I hope other CAST board members will not agree.
  • edited November 2015
  • By good if we could take specific comments on the presentation onto a seperate thread please, ta

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/69926/comments-on-the-opening-presentation#latest
  • Sponsored links:

• By good if we could take specific comments on the presentation onto a seperate thread please, ta

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/69926/comments-on-the-opening-presentation#latest

Oops - sorry !
  • edited November 2015
    rikofold said:

bobmunro said:

Apologies if it's already been mentioned - I've tried to trawl through 30 odd pages but was beginning to lose the will to live. Is there an official (early) evaluation of the meeting from the Trust? Do the Trust still believe that continuing to campaign for meaningful dialogue is still the way to go?

Correct.
    Only Steve and I were at the meeting, so it's important that the board gets the full picture before we finalise our response to the evening.

Speaking personally, I wasn't overly impressed at the over-management of the meeting, nor that it was not the meeting we were invited to. I welcomed the presentation, although it would be nice if just for once there wasn't the kind of overly-positive spin on things. We get the club wants to break even, so showing how you're covering the funds spent on incoming transfers is important and not necessary to hide. This is part of my own frustration, that when the club gets the chance to be a little more open they still feel what we need to hear is the garden's rosy. We don't, we want to be brought into the true picture.

Another example is the budget. Up 40% since they arrived, but then we all know it was pitiful in the last throes of the cowboys. As I understand it, this year's comparative playing budget is better than 3rd bottom (last year) but not hugely. That means you have to get other things spectacularly right - like the academy and particularly the coaching - to overperform against that budget and start to reach for the express ambition. The academy side seems to be going well in that regard, so why not say something like; "This model is going to take time to get right and to work itself through. We won't let the club go down in that period, but it will mean a slow build to be competitive at the upper end of the Championship and we ask for your patience and to make the difference whilst we develop it." I think most of us are reasonable enough to get that - because the spin is hope deferred, which as the proverb goes makes the heart sick. If you imply we're splashing out we're just going to question mediocrity all the more, and trust the club less. That is, improving budgets should mean better performances, but if every other club improves by the same amount...

But I do think the presentation was a big step in the right direction, personally.

If that's the case, the trust can count my support out. Others have put it better on the specific thread about why that presentation is a complete joke.

It's all well and good wanting us to get competitive, increase attendances etc, but the opposite is happening! She's just telling you what you want to hear.
  • Sorry, joined late and could not read everything on here, but glanced through and apart for a stupid question to JJ on his goal Saturday, I cannot find any other questions by fans, was there any?
  • edited November 2015

rikofold said:

bobmunro said:

Correct.

rikofold said:

bobmunro said:

Correct.

She states what the aims are but there is Little or no information on how these goals will be achieved.

She has been at the helm long enough to have a proper plan, quite frankly what she put on the screen I would expect from a graduate doing their first ever presentation, not a CEO of a substantial football club.

Amateurish in the extreme and does not fill me with any hope for the foreseeable future, sadly she is totally out of her depth. Also if I presented like she did I would be ashamed of myself, she clearly hadn't prepared or rehearsed embarrassing.

If the trust think that is acceptable well then I out.
    I didn't say it was acceptable, I said it was a step in the right direction. I laid out two specific examples why it wasn't enough.

It will never cease to amaze me how people on social media react to something no-one's actually said.
  • rikofold said:

bobmunro said:

Correct.

If that's the case, the trust can count my support out. Others have put it better on the specific thread about why that presentation is a complete joke.

It's all well and good wanting us to get competitive, increase attendances etc, but the opposite is happening! She's just telling you what you want to hear.
    You've picked on his last line which is his own opinion, and I doubt he will find much agreement there. But why not instead concentrate on his sensible well-argued criticisms in the rest of his post?

Also, having just watched it, who was the one person who asked a question in that session, a very pertinent one about whether £9m in transfers was net (or before outgoing transfers). Yep, @rikofold.
  • Weegie - I took from last night that the strategy is, indeed, to break even in the Championship and that this would be possible through TV money, target 20k and, probably most significantly, sales of home grown Academy players. I think it was RM who said that the owner reviews the position every January and would consider investing for a push for promotion to the Prem if we were in a decent position near the top. It would be great if true. The problem is that CAFC is notoriously appalling in the final third of most seasons!
  • rikofold said:

bobmunro said:

Correct.

You've picked on his last line which is his own opinion, and I doubt he will find much agreement there. But why not instead concentrate on his sensible well-argued criticisms in the rest of his post?

Also, having just watched it, who was the one person who asked a question in that session, a very pertinent one about whether £9m in transfers was net (or before outgoing transfers). Yep, @rikofold.
    I'm not having a go at Rikofold, as an aside it sounds like he did very well last night.

What I said, was IF the trust have the same view as that, then I'm out. Cannot for the life of me see how that presentation is a step forward.
  • I also asked about the reference in the Strategy presentation of Charlton having 'Premiership Ambitions' and whether there was a timescale in the plan for this......and, if so, did the owner have a 'walk away' position. I cannot recall any significant reply that answered the question. My fear is that there is an inherent contradiction between being able to position the team near the top approaching January when any quality talent would, most likely, leave in the early days (like JG and GP) leaving us with a team unlikely to sustain any such lofty position. Hmmmmmmm.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2015

Was it? Not a dig at anyone, just a question.
  • rikofold said:

Was it?

Sounded very like him to me, and I've heard a lot of him lately.

Whom did you think it was?

• Out of interest @PragueAddick @rikofold , do the trust have any plans to sit down discuss this, review their position and issue a statement on their (hopefully new) stance? If so, what would the timescale be?
  • You get clubs across Europe who's main ambition is to have a footballing philosophy from top to bottom of the club. Instead
    meldrew66 said:

Weegie - I took from last night that the strategy is, indeed, to break even in the Championship and that this would be possible through TV money, target 20k and, probably most significantly, sales of home grown Academy players. I think it was RM who said that the owner reviews the position every January and would consider investing for a push for promotion to the Prem if we were in a decent position near the top. It would be great if true. The problem is that CAFC is notoriously appalling in the final third of most seasons!

He needs to make sure we're competitive from August instead.
  • skywalker said:

KM is a (province of) Limburg peasant girl, who doesn't know how to dress, has greasy hair

Ah, that charming Belgium humour!
  • rikofold said:

Was it?
    Sounded very like him to me, and I've heard a lot of him lately.

Whom did you think it was?

I'm pretty sure that question (a good question by the way probably on the tip of a lot of tongues) was not asked by rikofold but by somebody else.

• Out of interest @PragueAddick @rikofold , do the trust have any plans to sit down discuss this, review their position and issue a statement on their (hopefully new) stance? If so, what would the timescale be?

Too bloody right we do, but we all agreed that we have to wait for the video. I was hoping to be watching it right now since I had an hour or so free, but the thing still isn't available.
  • rikofold said:

bobmunro said:

Correct.

Alas, it was Craig Norris. :smile:
  • rikofold said:

rikofold said:

bobmunro said:

Correct.

Alas, it was Craig Norris. :smile:
    Ah, my mistake. Sorry, Craig.