Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2016

Comments

• Options
    Job done. Very poor effort by previously unbeaten Sussex. We went to Hove yesterday and enjoyed a day of complete Kent superiority. Great to see. And the weather was gorgeous too.
    I'll be at Beckers next week for two days of the Northants game. COYK!
  • Options
    We now just need Worcs to bat for five sessions.

I'll get me coat!
  • Options
    Worcs just lost their first wicket 44-1

Hopefully it'll rain all day tomorrow!
  • Options
    45/2

I would take some bad light stops play right now.
  • Options
    Peter_G said:

Job done. Very poor effort by previously unbeaten Sussex. We went to Hove yesterday and enjoyed a day of complete Kent superiority. Great to see. And the weather was gorgeous too.

As a Sussex supporter, I will defend them a bit. With 7 of their likely first eleven missing through injury, international call ups and a funeral, there was only one result. However, it did show that the young 2nd XI players that filled the gaps were nowhere near good enough for that standard. Reminds me of Charlton somewhat. Thank goodness, Sussex are staying put in Division 2; they are nowhere near good enough for Division 1.
  • Options

Peter_G said:

As a Sussex supporter, I will defend them a bit. With 7 of their likely first eleven missing through injury, international call ups and a funeral, there was only one result. However, it did show that the young 2nd XI players that filled the gaps were nowhere near good enough for that standard. Reminds me of Charlton somewhat. Thank goodness, Sussex are staying put in Division 2; they are nowhere near good enough for Division 1.
    Is Whittingham injured?

Heard good things about him.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Peter_G said:

Is Whittingham injured?

Yes, he is. Three raw but promising young quicks are out - Whittingham and Garton are injured and Archer has gone to relative's funeral in the Caribbean. Joyce chose to play for Ireland against Hong Kong, Wright is injured (again) after picking up one of his kids, Machan and Finch have hand/wrist injuries. Kent look to be getting stronger and seem to be a decent side now. I fear Sussex is entering the phase that Kent has just emerged from.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Peter_G said:

Is Whittingham injured?

Yes, he is. Three raw but promising young quicks are out - Whittingham and Garton are injured and Archer has gone to relative's funeral in the Caribbean. Joyce chose to play for Ireland against Hong Kong, Wright is injured (again) after picking up one of his kids, Machan and Finch have hand/wrist injuries. Kent look to be getting stronger and seem to be a decent side now. I fear Sussex is entering the phase that Kent has just emerged from.
    It begs the question as to why Sussex haven't plugged the gaps of injuries, call ups, etc with some loanees? Kent have drafted in Latham, Rabada, Gidman and Viljoen at different times this season and most of them have been very useful.

Don't want to rub salt in the wound, but Sussex were there for the taking. Their body language was poor, there was no energy in the fielding and no strong leadership. I hope their season doesn't end with a wimper.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Peter_G said:

LenGlover said:

Peter_G said:

Is Whittingham injured?

It begs the question as to why Sussex haven't plugged the gaps of injuries, call ups, etc with some loanees? Kent have drafted in Latham, Rabada, Gidman and Viljoen at different times this season and most of them have been very useful.

Don't want to rub salt in the wound, but Sussex were there for the taking. Their body language was poor, there was no energy in the fielding and no strong leadership. I hope their season doesn't end with a wimper.
    I couldn't agree more, @Peter_G - you can't get by at that level with decent club cricketers - you need loanees if you have injuries or international calls. Sussex are rather like Charlton at the moment in many ways. The County Championship table showing 3 wins and (now) 1 defeat hides the truth - there have been some very poor draws thanks to weather and too many decent players have not performed. The T20 and the 50 over campaigns were poor and pathetic respectively. As you say, the body language has been appalling on many occasions this year. The young quicks, Whittingham, Garton and Archer (all missing v Kent) offer some hope for the future. Their replacements, Shazhad and Robinson, who played against Kent, seem to have fallen out with the Club as they did at their previous counties and may well be off soon. A clear out is needed, in my opinion.
  • Options

How come only the top team goes up from CC2 and 2 teams come down?

Yet another step towards killing off red ball cricket. With 8 in Division 1 next year and 10 in Division 2, there will only be 14 fixtures per team next season. In Division 1, they will play each other twice, in Division 2, they will play some teams once and some twice.

It's to make way for more T20 cricket. The rumours are that April will be 50 over stuff, May, June and September will be County Championship and July and August will be T20. If it's a wet early summer like this year, the County Championship will be decided on about 6 games.

It's what the public want though.
    Is it what the public want?
    Two things - firstly 50 over cricket does get some decent crowds. If it's only played in April we might as well forget about it.
    Secondly not sure if cricket could prosper long term without the longer form of the game. Too much T20 isn't the panacea some people think is in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:

How come only the top team goes up from CC2 and 2 teams come down?

Yet another step towards killing off red ball cricket. With 8 in Division 1 next year and 10 in Division 2, there will only be 14 fixtures per team next season. In Division 1, they will play each other twice, in Division 2, they will play some teams once and some twice.

It's to make way for more T20 cricket. The rumours are that April will be 50 over stuff, May, June and September will be County Championship and July and August will be T20. If it's a wet early summer like this year, the County Championship will be decided on about 6 games.

It's what the public want though.
    Is it what the public want?
    Two things - firstly 50 over cricket does get some decent crowds. If it's only played in April we might as well forget about it.
    Secondly not sure if cricket could prosper long term without the longer form of the game. Too much T20 isn't the panacea some people think is in my opinion.
    Well, I don't really know if it's what the public want, but it seems to draw the crowds, bring in more money and attract Sky TV. I really don't like T20 much, even though I accept you can get some exciting games. However, if July and August become months of wall to wall T20, it means some county players doing nothing for two months (or getting reduced contracts), red ball cricket fans tuning out or getting pushed towards Test Matches and, I suspect, eventually loss of interest as overkill of T20 leads to tedium. Losing two County Championship fixtures next year is bad news in my view. April weather may well mean that many 50 over games will be washed out or reduced to a small number of overs between the showers. I really don't get it, to be honest.
  • Options
    So, at home to Northants tomorrow at beckenham.

Looks cloudy in morning so do we expect Northants to elect to put us in?

Could do with a 24 point victory to put some pressure on Essex as they don't play till next week.
  • Options
    Of course they can only elect to bat doh!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Of course they can only elect to bat doh!

Northants can ask Kent to bat or go for the toss.
  • Options
    Sat in an office in Beckenham working out my notice before I leave my job and this is going on just down the road ... gutted.
  • Options

Sat in an office in Beckenham working out my notice before I leave my job and this is going on just down the road ... gutted.

New job Joe ?
  • Options

New job Joe ?
    Uni mate.
  • Options

Take your lunch at 12.00 and finish work at 4.00?
  • Options

Take your lunch at 12.00 and finish work at 4.00?
    It would take about 15 minutes to walk there so no point for the lunch break and I don't get to leave until 6 :-(
  • Options
    If I said that we've had a solid start at 23-0 off 10 I might be tempting fate so I'm not going to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going down to Beckenham now. First game for a couple of years.
  • Options

New job Joe ?
    Uni mate.
    Which uni Joe? My son has just finished at Surrey.
  • Options
    Callum Jackson keeps wicket - I assume Rouse is still injured

It's a bit annoying that we lose Billings for this match, just because of a single T20 international, it's not as if he'd been called up for a proper series
  • Options

New job Joe ?
    Uni mate.
    Which uni Joe? My son has just finished at Surrey.
    UAL - the London College of Communication.

A certain Olly Groome went to the same place...
  • Options
    Meanwhile in Division 1, Somerset won the toss and elected to bat at Taunton and this is the state of play:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/946931.html

Errrrr....
  • Options

It's a bit annoying that we lose Billings for this match, just because of a single T20 international, it's not as if he'd been called up for a proper series

Meanwhile in Division 1, Somerset won the toss and elected to bat at Taunton and this is the state of play:

Errrrr....

And Ryan Davies, who has ended up batting as low as 10 at times following a very ordinary first half to the season, seems to have found some form recently (49, 31, 46 & 86 last four scores) and is leading the recovery.
  • Options
    59-1

D B-D gone for 20 Dickson 36*
  • Options

Errrrr....

And Ryan Davies, who has ended up batting as low as 10 at times following a very ordinary first half to the season, seems to have found some form recently (49, 31, 46 & 86 last four scores) and is leading the recovery.
    Ryan Davies gone for 16... :-)

Somerset 69/9.
  • Options
    Denly gone for a duck

66-2
  • Options
    Denly goes for a duck on the second to last ball before lunch.

66/2.

(29.5 Overs)