Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do the fans get behind the Varney initative?

Comments

• Options
    So basically , it all goes belly up for the rest of the season, we slide into league one, KM gets the chop , ( shifted to another galaxy in the network) and in a years time PV leads another buyout consortium ,and Chris Powell is reinstated as manager?
  • Options
    If I thought being relegated would get rid of RD, I wouldn't mind either, but fear he'll just be delighted as it will reduce his wage bill even further.
  • Options

Given the fury there would be if, for example, that turned out to be Millwall, I'm sure people would want to feel that Charlton had had the opportunity first, whatever it is. The introduction of Millwall is entirely hypothetical - I don't know what other club might be the recipient.

Christ, that doesn't bare thinking about does it. Imagine having palace and millwall both flourishing under foreign investment while we knackered our academy lads in League One.

• Options
    Can someone explain the alleged "difficulty" between Varney & Murray?
  • Options
    cafc1263 said:

What's the relocation away from the valley stuff about?

There is evidence that PV, while seeking buyers for Charlton, was pointing potential buyers towards the Peninsula. But Airman says that this was simply a hook he was using to try and get potential investors in. Personally I believe him. I have no doubt that PV understands how potentially toxic a move away from the Valley can be.
    Do you remember our chat about this ?
    I remember quite a lot of things about our chat. But I think it's best kept private don't you, unless you are Ok for me to tell the whole story? Your call...
  • Options
    RD overpaid, that is why the spivs sold the club to him. He will want a return despite devaluing the club further. I can't see how he would walk away with a massive loss, it surely would be more realistic he changes his playing/procurement strategy. But given that he is not all there, I'm sure he will carry on full course ahead into the iceberg ahead that everybody can see bar him.
  • Options
    Why doesn't pv try contacting roland directly?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2015

Why doesn't pv try contacting roland directly?

He has. KM replied, although RD did eventually respond himself to say that KM would arrange the meeting soon. She didn't.
    That is too inept for words. Surely any businessman would want to listen to what they were proposing and decline if it wasn't beneficial for them. It is truly incompetent and severely worrying for that. KM has to challenged on that. She needs to answer. Her silence in this is deafening!
  • Options
    The revelation of the story and the releasing of the emails suggests, to me, that this is either a last ditch attempt to get them to come to the table or a swipe at them, or both. Revealing the possibility of an alternative investor to RD would reassure many fans that we don't die if RD pulls his money out, and it also ensures that KM and RD know that we know.

If KM now comes out and says that without RD the club would be in trouble we can respond by saying that PV would step up and we'd be ok, thank you very much.

I suspect that over the course of the next couple of weeks KM will do an interview in a foreign publication to rubbish PV and his interest in 'investing' in the club. Maybe they will even roll out RM to publicly slag him off again?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Don't quite understand the outrage that this e.mail exchange has caused. RD/KM don't know Varney from any other Del Boy trying to get get a meeting to propose an idea that is beneficial for all parties. I used to try to get meetings with CEOs and FDs with unsolicited e.mails and letters and I was lucky if I got a response, never mind a firm appointment, from 1 in 100. If I was to receive an unsolicited e.mail requesting a meeting and proposing 3 or 4 different venues and dates and specifying it needs to happen soon because the sender was going to be out of the country for a few weeks and if they were to meet at my office it would have to be in a specific part of my office building as opposed to another part, I would view it as extremely rude.

If Peter Varney has a serious proposal that he wants Charlton fans to know about and support (and he clearly does since he has released the e.mail exchange; again something I consider to be an extremely rude and and unprofessional thing to do) then he should make an effort to let Charlton fans know the exact nature of this proposal.

As far as what the Trust should do next? Well at the moment I am not interested in the views of KM or RD or other Charlton fans on this matter. I am only interested in finding out more about this proposal. Perhaps the Trust could arrange an interview with Varney where he can provide more details.

Don't quite understand the outrage that this e.mail exchange has caused. RD/KM don't know Varney from any other Del Boy trying to get get a meeting to propose an idea that is beneficial for all parties. I used to try to get meetings with CEOs and FDs with unsolicited e.mails and letters and I was lucky if I got a response, never mind a firm appointment, from 1 in 100. If I was to receive an unsolicited e.mail requesting a meeting and proposing 3 or 4 different venues and dates and specifying it needs to happen soon because the sender was going to be out of the country for a few weeks and if they were to meet at my office it would have to be in a specific part of my office building as opposed to another part, I would view it as extremely rude.

If Peter Varney has a serious proposal that he wants Charlton fans to know about and support (and he clearly does since he has released the e.mail exchange; again something I consider to be an extremely rude and and unprofessional thing to do) then he should make an effort to let Charlton fans know the exact nature of this proposal.

As far as what the Trust should do next? Well at the moment I am not interested in the views of KM or RD or other Charlton fans on this matter. I am only interested in finding out more about this proposal. Perhaps the Trust could arrange an interview with Varney where he can provide more details.

Why come on here then just don't bother simples.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

if that is the case, which I don't for one second believe it is, then that in itself that is a poor indictment on those running OUR club.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Surely any sane business people would want to hear the proposal before dismissing it. Varney was treated very rudely and you have to imagine this is the best proof of business incompetence imaginable. He introduced himself with his credentials, half an hour to listen to what he had to say was all that was needed. There was more important things going on every day that precluded this? Come on! It is beyond belief.
  • Options
    In a few years time, PV will have made enough money from his current project, he will be able to buy the club himself. The question is, would he?
  • Options

In a few years time, PV will have made enough money from his current project, he will be able to buy the club himself. The question is, would he?

Another question is, will the club still exist in a few years' time?
  • Options

What a load of bollocks. Meire would be absolutely clear on who Varney was and who his current employers are. Even if Duchatelet wasn't and that is possible. As CEO it was her responsibility to do a background report on Varney and his potential for having serious backers. With this knowledge RD could then decide his response. He is after all CEO of a Kuwaiti Consortium. Hardly Del Boy.

It's Murray that The Trust should be perusing for answers not Peter Varney.

Absolutely right.
  • Options

Read the email chain ...he made it quite clear from the very first email who he was and his provenance with Charlton.
  • Options

@Red_in_SE8 - As CEO of CAFC it is Katrien's job to know who Peter Varney is extremely well.

She should have been begging to meet him.

That's how ludicrous this situation is.

She didn't want to know. Didn't want a chance to speak to probably the best CEO we've had, certainly in recent times. Work that out.

She doesn't want to learn.

She doesn't care.

She doesn't deserve to be the CEO of this great club.

She also thinks that she knows best