Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do the fans get behind the Varney initative?

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options

In response to the opening question in the title, once the initial noise wears off, the 'fans' need to know more behind what the initiative actually is, and who is actually behind it other than a well known acting as a potential broker.

I knew when I wrote the opening question D that there wasn't nearly enough flesh on the bones regarding what form the initiative took - however my thinking was at least there was a glimmer of light, an alternative to merely sacking the board.

Any opportunity to force a dialogue between PV & The Belgians has to be grasped. Maybe the mass discontent in the fanbase & the fact that it is fast growing day by day will force them to reconsider the viability of their ownership of Charlton.

Alternatively they will dig their heels in.

I can't see how they can recover from this personally - even a run of decent results will always be against a background of deep distrust & scepticism.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    @Airman Brown

Thankyou for answering questions where you can. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Not at all. We make them sell. Protest, boycott, hit them in the pocket. Will sell then as he did with Liege.
  • Options
    Alex was quite a useful player I remember - part of our academy. Didn't quite make it, but decent all the same.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

razil said:

RD will undoubtedly consult RM about PV but perhaps thats not the issue.

Aside from the apparent slowness in response there is another Elephant in this particular room, RD may not want to sell, simple as that

Anyone know the background to him selling Standard Liege this year? Did he cash in and make a big profit - did he put the club up for sale or was he approached by another investor?
    Sold to his vice chairmen when the heat from the fans became too much.

Doubt he made much of a profit if any.
    Ive already several times posted what the Socios have reported to us, which is not quite the trite summary youve given, but hey, you know better whats going on in Liege

For the benefit of this thread, and to save people searching for it, could you please repost what the Socios have reported to you. After all, you appear to know whats going on in Liege better then most
    Ok...there are three elements to his problems at Standard

1. Ownership conflict because of STVV getting promotion. He has pissed off the owners of Belgiums other big clubs and they were not prepared to let him pretend he wasn't involved with STVV

2. At Standard there is a real board of directors, and one of them was willing and able to buy from him. That guy, Bruno Venanzi, appears to enjoy the confidence of the fans in much the same way PV does here.

3. The protests from fans.

Probably in that order but nobody knows for sure.

As for what he got for it, this is what we are trying to get to the bottom of. Jacques of the Socios is a great guy, but for a chartered accountant he sounds like Jeremy Corbyn in his Trotskyist days. He talks of RD employing the bank account of €30m. Obviously that can't just happen in Liege, it's not in Siberia. Amounts of that kind appeared in the Belgian press, so clearly @carly burn 's assertion isn't right. The question is whether there was anything improper. The Socios are certainly suggesting at, but they are an excitable bunch. We certainly though plan to keep talking with them and get to the bottom of it. They say there are issues regarding the Watt transfer, but again we don't know whether there is any substance to this.

We also plan to get an update on what is going on at Ujpest and Jena, but we don't have any good links to Alcorcon. We hope to test the theory of Belgian journos that RD is getting fed up with his football experiment generally.

Yeah. Basically what I said without the usual Prague frilly bits around the side.
    You really are obstinate aren't you?

The differences compared to your summary( which you only derived from what you read here, no?) are:

- you said you doubt he made money on the deal. The Socios say he did, and possibly in an iregular way. We need to learn about this to make sure something similar doesnt happen to us.

- You said it was basically because of the protests. Basically, it wasnt. Again we need to learn from that, so that we are realistic about what protest, alone, can achieve

If you cant see the importance of those differences, there isnt much more i can say, but I hope others will get it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moving Tony Watt to us from Liege was dodgy dealing in terms of stitching them up.
  • Options

Moving Tony Watt to us from Liege was dodgy dealing in terms of stitching them up.

Possibly. Possibly not. We will find out.
  • Options

Alex was quite a useful player I remember - part of our academy. Didn't quite make it, but decent all the same.

I almost got a professional contract at The Valley about 10 years back as I was playing in the Bromley and Orpington Sunday Football League and was playing a team Alex Varney was playing for and I remember Peter coming down to watch.

Well, I say almost...
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Well he was an asset of thiers and we didn't pay them a fee and he sold the club soon after. Legal I'm sure but dodgy.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Do you think it might have ben a cock up on KMs part. Is she coasting through the job? Duchatelet seemed to intervene reassuringly and it all went dead again. Do you think she might actually delete most of her e-mails?

I'm not convinced we can be so dismissive about our CEO's abilities. I understand that she's doing well.

• Options

Definitely. Leige paid 1.5m for him, we got him for nothing six months later, and will then be selling him for close to 1m. Leige have definitely been stiched up.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Definitely. Leige paid 1.5m for him, we got him for nothing six months later, and will then be selling him for close to 1m. Leige have definitely been stiched up.

Unless you have access to the employee contracts, financial accounts and bank statement of both clubs, how can you say "definitely"? And if you are so clear, why is the current owner of Standard not? And can you point me to the howls of outrage from Standard fans at the time of his departure?
  • Options
    This does raise a potential problem for us though doesn't it? If we are successful with bringing pressure on RD to force him out, he may be tempted to try and transfer our better players to his network before signing on the dotted line.
    Of course he would be welcome to many of them but....
  • Options
    Also arent there rules about third party ownership which this transfer with Staprix owned clubs suggests
  • Options
    To get back to the original question and answer it, we first need to know full details of PV's proposal. Without that information this thread has become a cul de sac.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Granpa said:

To get back to the original question and answer it, we first need to know full details of PV's proposal. Without that information this thread has become a cul de sac.

But that cannot be forthcoming until he has first spoken to RD.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Possibly the same owners as the new leisure development in Kent, with mutual benefits such as advertising, sponsorship, joint memberships etc. This is off the top of my head, with no knowledge, so pure speculation.
  • Options

Granpa said:

Possibly the same owners as the new leisure development in Kent, with mutual benefits such as advertising, sponsorship, joint memberships etc. This is off the top of my head, with no knowledge, so pure speculation.
    Specifically, perhaps, as KEH do not appear to be that wealthy, their funders for Paramount Park could be looking for additional investment opportunities ? Hence the use KEH in PV's emails, unless they are looking to ditch Ebbsfleet.
  • Options

Rob62 said:

Unless you have access to the employee contracts, financial accounts and bank statement of both clubs, how can you say "definitely"? And if you are so clear, why is the current owner of Standard not? And can you point me to the howls of outrage from Standard fans at the time of his departure?
    Frankly, in this day and age, players contacts are often more of a burden than the potential transfer value is an asset.

At SL Watt was going nowhere, he was signed for us and the introduction was that maybe he needed to get back to Britain to get his career back on track. Let's look at the facts, we have paid him for best part of a year while he has jump started his career in England and had he stayed in Belgium he might still be in the reserves and SL might be looking for clubs to take him off their hands, and potentially pay him off in lieu of his contract.

I would argue that his value might have risen based on some of the performances for us and certainly those for Cardiff, neither if which, presumably, would have happened had he been in the SL reserves or farmed out to a second division Belgian team.

I also suspect that the transfer fee will be less than his wages since he left SL.

None of this takes into account the fact that, allegedly, his presence seems to cause disharmony in the dressing room. I don't fancy SL's chances of getting anything from us in light of Tony Watt.