Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do the fans get behind the Varney initative?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2015
    sorry if already mentioned on any other threads.... we seem to be getting some national coverage...please see below from the Sports journalist of the Guardian-:

Interesting times at Charlton, where air of revolt against Belgian owner Duchatelet is growing.

Now where else can we get national help? Pressure must be kept up on RD to either change tack or sell up and go, or we are doomed.

This was a tweet he did about 3 hours ago, Rick has either responded or Mr Gibson has seen Ricks original tweet.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

In any business the size of Charlton's you follow up any opportunities to increase revenue that present themselves. I think we are all intelligent enough to work that out despite what Red in SE8 wants to tell us. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous. If Peter Varney had written the e-mail to any other Championship club, he would have got his half hour meeting FFS. To suggest otherwise makes you look a right tool!

If you think you could get a half hour meeting with the CEO of any championship club simply by e.mailing that you have a proposal it is you who is the Tool!
    when you are also the CEO of a local football club that has serious financial backing like ebbsfleet it really is not unheard of. How else do you organise a meeting? Is there some kind of ritual you must do outside the valley to get a meeting? I can tell you're not that experienced with the corporate world.
    In my experience you organise/arrange the meeting by e.mail. The difficult part is getting people to agree to the meeting in the first place. In this case it seems that RD had agreed to the meeting. That is the hard part. The meeting has still not happened. Yet everyone is blaming, and fuming about the 27 year old glorified PA. If this is a serious proposal her presence and actions should be irrelevant.
    RD agreed to the meeting but delegated KM to deal with the issue. She hasn't. It really isn't that difficult to grasp.
    You don't seem to be able to grasp that if it is a serious proposal by serious people RD will have a meeting or at least will be made aware of what the proposal is. It should not matter what KM does or does not do!
    I think the point that is being missed here is that RD has probably insisted KM vet the enquiry first before he gives up any of his time.

And KM has been 'advised' by her CAFC 'team' to defer, if not deter, any such talks so that they do not get to RD's ears. In that way, KM and her advisers keep their job for a while longer.

They are protecting their position and keeping RD ignorant - it can't last for long and they will get found out - but they will still play the game.
    Eureeka !
  • Options

stonemuse said:

In any business the size of Charlton's you follow up any opportunities to increase revenue that present themselves. I think we are all intelligent enough to work that out despite what Red in SE8 wants to tell us. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous. If Peter Varney had written the e-mail to any other Championship club, he would have got his half hour meeting FFS. To suggest otherwise makes you look a right tool!

If you think you could get a half hour meeting with the CEO of any championship club simply by e.mailing that you have a proposal it is you who is the Tool!
    when you are also the CEO of a local football club that has serious financial backing like ebbsfleet it really is not unheard of. How else do you organise a meeting? Is there some kind of ritual you must do outside the valley to get a meeting? I can tell you're not that experienced with the corporate world.
    In my experience you organise/arrange the meeting by e.mail. The difficult part is getting people to agree to the meeting in the first place. In this case it seems that RD had agreed to the meeting. That is the hard part. The meeting has still not happened. Yet everyone is blaming, and fuming about the 27 year old glorified PA. If this is a serious proposal her presence and actions should be irrelevant.
    RD agreed to the meeting but delegated KM to deal with the issue. She hasn't. It really isn't that difficult to grasp.
    You don't seem to be able to grasp that if it is a serious proposal by serious people RD will have a meeting or at least will be made aware of what the proposal is. It should not matter what KM does or does not do!
    I think the point that is being missed here is that RD has probably insisted KM vet the enquiry first before he gives up any of his time.

And KM has been 'advised' by her CAFC 'team' to defer, if not deter, any such talks so that they do not get to RD's ears. In that way, KM and her advisers keep their job for a while longer.

They are protecting their position and keeping RD ignorant - it can't last for long and they will get found out - but they will still play the game.
    Eureeka !
    I dont see how RD didn't/doesn't know about the talks, he sent an email directly back to PV saying that KM would be in touch, or does KM have access to RD's email and sends on his behalf as though it is from the man himself?
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Eureeka !
    I dont see how RD didn't/doesn't know about the talks, he sent an email directly back to PV saying that KM would be in touch, or does KM have access to RD's email and sends on his behalf as though it is from the man himself?
    As far as he is aware, there was no follow up so he believes it is in stasis. KM is playing a fools game and will be found out.
  • Options
    razil said:

We need to start by giving it a name like Emailgate

Meiregate
  • Options
    razil said:

Or somethingate

Get yourselves organised or you'll be laughed at.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

razil said:

Or somethingate

Get yourselves organised or you'll be laughed at.
    Is your puppy housetrained yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I missed this... Did PV just forward the chain to someone?

Bad as km is (as a CEO she's awful, but no different from many lawyers I know; I'm sure she's a decent person just in absolutely a job that's way beyond her skills, personality and experience) is all about Roland and what is sure the delusion and arrogance of the super rich. Thinks that just because he's a big success in one field, its all about him in all the other fields. Clearly... It isn't
  • Options
    Ok. I've finally managed to catch up with this thread. All very interesting but where does it leave us?

Is the tide really starting to turn in our (the fans) favor or, as I suspect, RD and his cronies are laughing at us behind our backs again like the arrogant, deluded pricks they have proven to be.
  • Options

Yet more overreaction on CL!

Just to be clear I would love Varney to come back to Charlton as CEO or some other capacity. I am not a supporter of the current owners or CEO. I wasn't implying that he is a Del Boy ( although reading it back I can understand how people might infer that I was) I was making the point that KM would receive many unsolicited personal e.mails from Del Boy types every week. It is easy to buy name, address and e.mail address lists for CEOs and FDs for every company in the UK.

As previously stated I, typically, did not even receive a response when I approached CEOs and FDs in this way. And my e.mails were almost identical to Varney's first e.mail in that I established who I was, my background and provenance, and maybe the names of businesses and CEOs I had worked with. But I was a small one man business. Multi-billion dollar businesses do not pitch proposals by sending unsolicited e.mails to CEOs. They employ people and agencies who know people who know people, and pay them a lot of money, to facilitate face-to-face meetings.

If the group that Varney is working for are serious, and have a serious proposal that affects the long term future of Charlton then RD would be fully aware of it by now.

How many trolls have we got at the moment?

The reason YOU wouldn't get a response is you are contacting people as essentially a "nobody"... based on you interactions on here and you're grasp of business acumen these people were right to not respond to you.

Varney however is not making some cold call to some unknown company... think man... think...
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    mascot88 said:

Just to be clear I would love Varney to come back to Charlton as CEO or some other capacity. I am not a supporter of the current owners or CEO. I wasn't implying that he is a Del Boy ( although reading it back I can understand how people might infer that I was) I was making the point that KM would receive many unsolicited personal e.mails from Del Boy types every week. It is easy to buy name, address and e.mail address lists for CEOs and FDs for every company in the UK.

As previously stated I, typically, did not even receive a response when I approached CEOs and FDs in this way. And my e.mails were almost identical to Varney's first e.mail in that I established who I was, my background and provenance, and maybe the names of businesses and CEOs I had worked with. But I was a small one man business. Multi-billion dollar businesses do not pitch proposals by sending unsolicited e.mails to CEOs. They employ people and agencies who know people who know people, and pay them a lot of money, to facilitate face-to-face meetings.

If the group that Varney is working for are serious, and have a serious proposal that affects the long term future of Charlton then RD would be fully aware of it by now.

The reason YOU wouldn't get a response is you are contacting people as essentially a "nobody"... based on you interactions on here and you're grasp of business acumen these people were right to not respond to you.

Varney however is not making some cold call to some unknown company... think man... think...
    Had a long discussion tonight about this very point and I have changed my mind I think. Is it totally unreasonable to think that what we are seeing in those e mails is only part of the picture ? It does seem inconceivable that the only contact between the two parties Is what is currently known from those e mails. In three months did PV and KM and or RD never speak on the phone ? Without specific information about the offer on the table would RD have responded at all. Has some of the e mail chain been omitted or redacted ? Basically there are still a lot of questions. I wonder what else will filter into the public domain in the coming weeks.

• Options
    mascot88 said:

Fuck off you pointless piece of shit!
  • Options
    Really ?
  • Options
    Ok, one step too far, too often sadly. others please no further response to @Red_in_SE8 posts, back to thread please, ta
  • Options
    Classy.
  • Options
    In response to the opening question in the title, once the initial noise wears off, the 'fans' need to know more behind what the initiative actually is, and who is actually behind it other than a well known acting as a potential broker.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Visionary Belgian Politician takes over plucky London Club that some say is better than Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United: You won't believe what happened next!!!

1 like = 1 2% poster
    1 share = 1 anti-regime chant
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In response to the opening question in the title, once the initial noise wears off, the 'fans' need to know more behind what the initiative actually is, and who is actually behind it other than a well known acting as a potential broker.

Would it be presumptuous to think that KEH are behind this potential investment offer?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Agreed. But until and unless there is a meeting it's irrelevant and why would the backer reveal their identity, especially if they plan to buy another club if CAFC is not available? The question is, do we have enough faith in PV to think he can bring an acceptable contender to the table? And if not, do we just give up and let the Belgians destroy the club, because it's now clear they are quite useless?

mascot88 said:

Had a long discussion tonight about this very point and I have changed my mind I think. Is it totally unreasonable to think that what we are seeing in those e mails is only part of the picture ? It does seem inconceivable that the only contact between the two parties Is what is currently known from those e mails. In three months did PV and KM and or RD never speak on the phone ? Without specific information about the offer on the table would RD have responded at all. Has some of the e mail chain been omitted or redacted ? Basically there are still a lot of questions. I wonder what else will filter into the public domain in the coming weeks.

I redacted private email addresses - yes, including RD's - but otherwise the chain is complete as far as I can tell. I did in fact go back to PV and query a discontinuity in it, which he resolved. It wasn't material, but a function of using multiple messaging devices and missing one (housekeeping) email out from KM's assistant because it had been sitting on a different machine or not carried into a reply. PV assures me that he has had no telephone communication with the other parties at all.
  • Options
    @Airman Brown did Varney mention who the potential investor was? From your article I sensed that you know.

Are we talking about an individual with similar financial clout to RD or something bigger?
  • Options

@Airman Brown did Varney mention who the potential investor was? From your article I sensed that you know.

Are we talking about an individual with similar financial clout to RD or something bigger?

I don't know.
  • Options

Ok, one step too far, too often sadly. others please no further response to @Red_in_SE8 posts, back to thread please, ta

Danny, if only you had the power to do this to Roland and Katrien, eh. :-)

One step too far Meire, see ya!
  • Options

Danny, if only you had the power to do this to Roland and Katrien, eh. :-)

One step too far Meire, see ya!
    Nice thought mate but she has trouble responding to emails so not sure she could handle posting on here as well :wink:
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

KM will offer meetings if she thinks there is something in it for her, even from a 'nobody' like me. But getting her to a meeting is another thing altogether. I have an email trail not dissimilar to the one that AB has published of me trying to arrange a meeting with her for a couple of months now. Mine even started with an email from KM asking to meet with me. But getting that meeting to happen has been so far impossible (not due to me) and has now been pushed to a time, yet to be defined, in January. I suspect it may never happen but who knows.

This is my personal opinion, but from various things I have seen and heard I would say that she is starting to struggle with the pressure of the situation she finds herself. Her persona does seem to have changed from being very positive and enthusiastic at beginning of season to looking and acting quite stressed now. This is from fairly limited experience as I only see her occasionally, but enough for me to notice the change.

Out of interest, I was in the office where KM as her desk on Monday when the protest was taking place after the game and I was surprised that you could not hear it going on. I think this is also true in the lounges as well.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

razil said:

RD will undoubtedly consult RM about PV but perhaps thats not the issue.

Aside from the apparent slowness in response there is another Elephant in this particular room, RD may not want to sell, simple as that

Anyone know the background to him selling Standard Liege this year? Did he cash in and make a big profit - did he put the club up for sale or was he approached by another investor?
    Sold to his vice chairmen when the heat from the fans became too much.

Doubt he made much of a profit if any.
    Ive already several times posted what the Socios have reported to us, which is not quite the trite summary youve given, but hey, you know better whats going on in Liege

For the benefit of this thread, and to save people searching for it, could you please repost what the Socios have reported to you. After all, you appear to know whats going on in Liege better then most
    Ok...there are three elements to his problems at Standard

1. Ownership conflict because of STVV getting promotion. He has pissed off the owners of Belgiums other big clubs and they were not prepared to let him pretend he wasn't involved with STVV

2. At Standard there is a real board of directors, and one of them was willing and able to buy from him. That guy, Bruno Venanzi, appears to enjoy the confidence of the fans in much the same way PV does here.

3. The protests from fans.

Probably in that order but nobody knows for sure.

As for what he got for it, this is what we are trying to get to the bottom of. Jacques of the Socios is a great guy, but for a chartered accountant he sounds like Jeremy Corbyn in his Trotskyist days. He talks of RD employing the bank account of €30m. Obviously that can't just happen in Liege, it's not in Siberia. Amounts of that kind appeared in the Belgian press, so clearly @carly burn 's assertion isn't right. The question is whether there was anything improper. The Socios are certainly suggesting at, but they are an excitable bunch. We certainly though plan to keep talking with them and get to the bottom of it. They say there are issues regarding the Watt transfer, but again we don't know whether there is any substance to this.

We also plan to get an update on what is going on at Ujpest and Jena, but we don't have any good links to Alcorcon. We hope to test the theory of Belgian journos that RD is getting fed up with his football experiment generally.

Yeah. Basically what I said without the usual Prague frilly bits around the side.