Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do the fans get behind the Varney initative?

Comments

• Yet more overreaction on CL!

Just to be clear I would love Varney to come back to Charlton as CEO or some other capacity. I am not a supporter of the current owners or CEO. I wasn't implying that he is a Del Boy ( although reading it back I can understand how people might infer that I was) I was making the point that KM would receive many unsolicited personal e.mails from Del Boy types every week. It is easy to buy name, address and e.mail address lists for CEOs and FDs for every company in the UK.

As previously stated I, typically, did not even receive a response when I approached CEOs and FDs in this way. And my e.mails were almost identical to Varney's first e.mail in that I established who I was, my background and provenance, and maybe the names of businesses and CEOs I had worked with. But I was a small one man business. Multi-billion dollar businesses do not pitch proposals by sending unsolicited e.mails to CEOs. They employ people and agencies who know people who know people, and pay them a lot of money, to facilitate face-to-face meetings.

If the group that Varney is working for are serious, and have a serious proposal that affects the long term future of Charlton then RD would be fully aware of it by now.

Had you previously been a highly successful 11-year chief executive of the same companies you were approaching?
    Airman, do you think there is any chance that PV and his backers will still try to talk to Charlton ... or have KM/RD/RM now made it impossible?

I would at least like to think that we still have an opportunity for any plans to be discussed before he talks to another club.
  • edited December 2015

Yet more overreaction on CL!

Just to be clear I would love Varney to come back to Charlton as CEO or some other capacity. I am not a supporter of the current owners or CEO. I wasn't implying that he is a Del Boy ( although reading it back I can understand how people might infer that I was) I was making the point that KM would receive many unsolicited personal e.mails from Del Boy types every week. It is easy to buy name, address and e.mail address lists for CEOs and FDs for every company in the UK.

As previously stated I, typically, did not even receive a response when I approached CEOs and FDs in this way. And my e.mails were almost identical to Varney's first e.mail in that I established who I was, my background and provenance, and maybe the names of businesses and CEOs I had worked with. But I was a small one man business. Multi-billion dollar businesses do not pitch proposals by sending unsolicited e.mails to CEOs. They employ people and agencies who know people who know people, and pay them a lot of money, to facilitate face-to-face meetings.

If the group that Varney is working for are serious, and have a serious proposal that affects the long term future of Charlton then RD would be fully aware of it by now.

Had you previously been a highly successful 11-year chief executive of the same companies you were approaching?
    Obviously not. But if I was I think the people who were paying me would be pretty pissed off if I reported back that I was unable to pitch the proposal because I can't get past the 27 year old inexperienced CEO!
    but he did in that RD replied saying KM would be in touch shortly and to date she hasn't been. Can't see what else PV could do and think he has been more than patient and accommodating in his dealings. At the end of the day I'd think we need him more than he needs us and it's a good opportunity missed.

Agree. But at the end of the day, if it is a serious proposal, get the meeting with RD and stop complaining about the actions of the glorified PA. RD is a hugely successful business man. It seems inconceivable that a serious proposal that would benefit him, Charlton and Varney's backers, should founder because you can't get past this glorified PA.

Obviously not. But if I was I think the people who were paying me would be pretty pissed off if I reported back that I was unable to pitch the proposal because I can't get past the 27 year old inexperienced CEO!
    but he did in that RD replied saying KM would be in touch shortly and to date she hasn't been. Can't see what else PV could do and think he has been more than patient and accommodating in his dealings. At the end of the day I'd think we need him more than he needs us and it's a good opportunity missed.

Agree. But at the end of the day, if it is a serious proposal, get the meeting with RD and stop complaining about the actions of the glorified PA. RD is a hugely successful business man. It seems inconceivable that a serious proposal that would benefit him, Charlton and Varney's backers, should founder because you can't get past this glorified PA.
    How do you organise a meeting? Usually you email some one.

You're either trolling here or an incredibly thick person tbh.

oh dear
  • LoOkOuT said:

@Red_in_SE8 with all due respect, do you honestly not see the difference between yourself as a cold-caller and Peter Varney as a "cold-caller" in your analysis? At best you're a cold-cold-caller and Varney is a qualified lead, based on his current and former roles.

It's laughable to suggest you can't see that.

Hang in there, though, one day we all hope you get there. It'll be a glorious day when someone writes you back!

I have been in the exact same position as Varney i.e. Approaching a company that I used to work for but which now has different owners and run by different managers.

Bit disappointed with the snidely sarcasm. Would expect it from a lot of people on here but not you.
  • edited December 2015
    In any business the size of Charlton's you follow up any opportunities to increase revenue that present themselves. I think we are all intelligent enough to work that out despite what Red in SE8 wants to tell us. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous. If Peter Varney had written the e-mail to any other Championship club, he would have got his half hour meeting FFS. To suggest otherwise makes you look a right tool!
  • Sponsored links:

How do you organise a meeting? Usually you email some one.

You're either trolling here or an incredibly thick person tbh.
    And you're one of the people I would expect that kind of response from so you can just fuck off you twat!
  • It isn't saying there is an alternative though. The problem is we don't know what PV wanted to discuss and neither does our CEO!!!!
  • The most important thing to come out of the VoTV article is that there is at least one alternative to the current owner.

As the title of this thread states the next most important thing is what can we fans do about it?

Sadly, that isn't actually the case. It's not clear what Peter's proposal was, so a full-blown takeover may not be what is is about. As has been said already though...RD & KM won't know, if they don't stop playing silly buggers!!
  • In any business the size of Charlton's you follow up any opportunities to increase revenue that present themselves. I think we are all intelligent enough to work that out despite what Red in SE8 wants to tell us. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous. If Peter Varney had written the e-mail to any other Championship club, he would have got his half hour meeting FFS. To suggest otherwise makes you look a right tool!

If you think you could get a half hour meeting with the CEO of any championship club simply by e.mailing that you have a proposal it is you who is the Tool!
  • In any business the size of Charlton's you follow up any opportunities to increase revenue that present themselves. I think we are all intelligent enough to work that out despite what Red in SE8 wants to tell us. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous. If Peter Varney had written the e-mail to any other Championship club, he would have got his half hour meeting FFS. To suggest otherwise makes you look a right tool!

If you think you could get a half hour meeting with the CEO of any championship club simply by e.mailing that you have a proposal it is you who is the Tool!
    when you are also the CEO of a local football club that has serious financial backing like ebbsfleet it really is not unheard of. How else do you organise a meeting? Is there some kind of ritual you must do outside the valley to get a meeting? I can tell you're not that experienced with the corporate world.
  • I've always fancied a go at this mediation lark, so I've emailed Reg and Roly to see if they fancy an all day breakfast on neutral ground. ;)image
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2015

In any business the size of Charlton's you follow up any opportunities to increase revenue that present themselves. I think we are all intelligent enough to work that out despite what Red in SE8 wants to tell us. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous. If Peter Varney had written the e-mail to any other Championship club, he would have got his half hour meeting FFS. To suggest otherwise makes you look a right tool!

If I was Peter Varney I could! A successful CEO of a premiership club and known to be heading the Kuwait consortium behind Ebbsfleet. I think you should just butt out of this. Likening your business background to somebody like Varney may be good for your ego, but we have bigger fish to fry and it is all a bit pathetic Mr great businessman sir!!!! I didn't say I could btw, I said Peter Varney could - unbelievable!!!!!

when you are also the CEO of a local football club that has serious financial backing like ebbsfleet it really is not unheard of. How else do you organise a meeting? Is there some kind of ritual you must do outside the valley to get a meeting? I can tell you're not that experienced with the corporate world.
    In my experience you organise/arrange the meeting by e.mail. The difficult part is getting people to agree to the meeting in the first place. In this case it seems that RD had agreed to the meeting. That is the hard part. The meeting has still not happened. Yet everyone is blaming, and fuming about the 27 year old glorified PA. If this is a serious proposal her presence and actions should be irrelevant.
  • It isn't saying there is an alternative though. The problem is we don't know what PV wanted to discuss and neither does our CEO!!!!

Even a dilution represents some kind of an alternative.
  • seth plum said:

It isn't saying there is an alternative though. The problem is we don't know what PV wanted to discuss and neither does our CEO!!!!

Even a dilution represents some kind of an alternative.
    True, but we may never know what it was. Apparently this is good business practise!
  • Received my copy this morning, interesting read, not got anything to really add that others have not already, terrible behaviour towards any potential investor but especially towards someone who played such a major role in the recent success of the club.

I am assuming this was not a takeover but something more like the Palace/Bournemouth/Man City deals, them looking to buy a stake in the club?
  • Whatever it was, surely you find out about it! It is incredible that this was not done. Truly incredible.

In my experience you organise/arrange the meeting by e.mail. The difficult part is getting people to agree to the meeting in the first place. In this case it seems that RD had agreed to the meeting. That is the hard part. The meeting has still not happened. Yet everyone is blaming, and fuming about the 27 year old glorified PA. If this is a serious proposal her presence and actions should be irrelevant.
    RD agreed to the meeting but delegated KM to deal with the issue. She hasn't. It really isn't that difficult to grasp.
    You don't seem to be able to grasp that if it is a serious proposal by serious people RD will have a meeting or at least will be made aware of what the proposal is. It should not matter what KM does or does not do!
  • edited December 2015

RD agreed to the meeting but delegated KM to deal with the issue. She hasn't. It really isn't that difficult to grasp.
    You don't seem to be able to grasp that if it is a serious proposal by serious people RD will have a meeting or at least will be made aware of what the proposal is. It should not matter what KM does or does not do!
    How if he doesn't talk to them. It is a good way for them to see that RD is not worth doing business with surely - why would they go out of their way? Read Alwaysneils post, but my suggestion is don't apply for a CEO job there. Same applies to KM - they seem a bit choosy in his company!