Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Saturday, Jan 2nd, 5pm sit-in protest at The Valley.

Comments

• Options
    The impact of this idea will be determined by the individual person. It is simply to give everyone an opportunity and platform to provide feedback to the club on one day. If nobody takes part then so be it . Attempting to organise a protest or march is commendable but this idea is a simple, understated one that keeps in the best traditions of Charlton supporters.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    cabbles said:

100 IN!

100% Fuck off Roland

Looking forward to it

#Standupifyouwantthemout

I thought this was a sit in, not a stand up ?

So far the plan for protest is before the game, during the game and after the game.

It's going to take some coordination and energy from someone or it might seem just a little disorganised.

Edit - and an opt out and a boycott.
  • Options
    With the email request, would that not just cause a member of staff a lot of hassle rather than affect KM herself?

Surely we want this aimed at RD and KM?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    From what i can work out, simply all of us writing to the club means that they have to reply within 21 days or they are guilty of an offence, and they have to supply the information free of charge it seems.

' Duty of certain data controllers to make certain information available.

Subject to subsection (3), where personal data are processed in a case where—
    .(a)

by virtue of subsection (2) or (3) of section 17, subsection (1) of that section does not apply to the processing, and

(b) the data controller has not notified the relevant particulars in respect of that processing under section 18,

the data controller must, within twenty-one days of receiving a written request from any person, make the relevant particulars available to that person in writing free of charge.

(2) In this section “the relevant particulars” means the particulars referred to in paragraphs (a) to (f) of section 16(1).

(3) This section has effect subject to any exemption conferred for the purposes of this section by notification regulations.

(4) Any data controller who fails to comply with the duty imposed by subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.

(5) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (4) to show that he exercised all due diligence to comply with the duty.'

Katrien is a lawyer, she can write on here and tell us if I've understood it wrongly if she likes.

Does anybody know the email of the 'data controller' at the club? Or if not it might be worth bombarding Katrien with this request as the place where the ultimate responsibility lies.

This is an action anybody can take and still let the club keep the data, and then there could be the second round of action where people can ask for the data to be amended or removed.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

'Could this be done in tandem with requesting our details be deleted from the database as someone asked yesterday ?'

I didn't see this suggestion but I'm assuming they would have to, by law, act upon such a request whereas an email saying you are not going to renew can be ignored?

I think this is an interesting proposal.
    If they are obliged (by law) to act upon these requests, I think it would be a powerful move.
    As season ticket holders, we have presumably entered in to a contract with the club, but who really understands the obligations that the club have with regard to our data? Airman perhaps.....
    I posted something about this on the initial thread about unsubscribing.

The club hold your personal information and are therefore subject by law to compliance with the Data Protection Act. If the action against the club's database is co-ordinated properly it can cause them real problems.

Unsubscribing from Charlton emails is mostly automated but a separate written request to be removed from the club's marketing database would fall under Data Protection and has to be actioned. If you also demand that the club confirm your removal from the database by return they are obliged to reply under the terms of their Football League charter.

It should be possible to shoot many holes in their (already inaccurate) marketing database in time for the season ticket renewal campaign and also tie up admin staff with aggravating Data Protection compliance and emailing customers when they should be doing proper work. (Sorry, Charlton admin staff but you are working for the enemy!)

I would also assume (I can only assume as the club don't seem to show their terms and conditions on ticket purchase) that purchase of a ticket via the website also has implied permission to enter you on their database. Proper ticket merchants like Seetickets state this in their t&c's. So again, there is an opportunity for aggravation by requesting a deletion from the database and email confirmation after purchasing each ticket.

If you receive a marketing communication from the club after requesting removal from the database, they would be in breach of Data Protection legislation. If the campaign is super organised it could collate these unwanted emails/phone calls and use them in a formal Data Protection complaint against the club which may result in a fine. It would probably be dismissed as vexatious in the end but the club would be obliged to devote time and manpower to dealing with it.

That's my take on it anyway. Don't just send them a message - cause them actual pain and aggravation!

Very interesting.
    We have nothing to lose through this course of action - all forms of protest have their place.
  • Options
    The message must remain a simple one. The intention is to convey to the owner the number of season-ticket holders who intend not to renew. This platform already exists so why not use it? What the club does with the information is up to them. the message should say " I have a season ticket in the west/ east/north stand and I will not be renewing for the 2016/2017 season". Place the onus back on the club. We can choose a day where people could do this and leaflet the ground with the date. There is no rush as renewals won't be going out until early April. Imagine you have 2/3000 emails with that simple message.
  • Options
    It will be the funniest thing ever if the club say 'quick get the early bird deal, particularly if you want to secure your seat, and avoid the price hike as the new season approaches'.

Said it before. All adults £100 all areas all season.
    All concessions £50 all areas all season.

I say make protesting affordable!

• Options
    You don't need to tell the club if you are renewing or not just yet, keep them guessing and keep them crapping themselves they will only sell 30% of their target. We ought to be messing with them, not helpfully informing them of our intentions.

I will most likely be renewing my season ticket, but I would still send a request to be removed from the marketing database. Its not going to make any difference to me, I know where to get a season ticket from. But they will get the impression that a larger number will not renew just from the holes in the database.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

From what i can work out, simply all of us writing to the club means that they have to reply within 21 days or they are guilty of an offence, and they have to supply the information free of charge it seems.

' Duty of certain data controllers to make certain information available.

Subject to subsection (3), where personal data are processed in a case where—
    .(a)

by virtue of subsection (2) or (3) of section 17, subsection (1) of that section does not apply to the processing, and

(b) the data controller has not notified the relevant particulars in respect of that processing under section 18,

the data controller must, within twenty-one days of receiving a written request from any person, make the relevant particulars available to that person in writing free of charge.

(2) In this section “the relevant particulars” means the particulars referred to in paragraphs (a) to (f) of section 16(1).

(3) This section has effect subject to any exemption conferred for the purposes of this section by notification regulations.

(4) Any data controller who fails to comply with the duty imposed by subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.

(5) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (4) to show that he exercised all due diligence to comply with the duty.'

Katrien is a lawyer, she can write on here and tell us if I've understood it wrongly if she likes.

Does anybody know the email of the 'data controller' at the club? Or if not it might be worth bombarding Katrien with this request as the place where the ultimate responsibility lies.

This is an action anybody can take and still let the club keep the data, and then there could be the second round of action where people can ask for the data to be amended or removed.

This makes a lot of sense. Does anybody know to whom it should be addressed?

• Options
    Oh yeah there is obviously a tipping point, and I will admit I am a lot closer to it than I was 12 months ago when some supporters congregated in Woolwich Town Centre, but I am a lenient and patient person, and pretty laid back in life, and think that has helped me to give them time to redeem themselves. If there is no investment in January and we get relegated, then that may well be my breaking point, but I can't say for sure.

People can claim its blind faith and it is a weak or thin argument, but at the same time they will probably want Roland out even if he goes on to invest into the club and pulls us out of the relegation mire
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    The messages about not renewing should be sent directly to Roland's email, with katrien in copy
  • Options
    Myself and Banstead Jr will be there!!
    Even happier that there is no home game for 3 weeks after the game, woohoo!!!
  • Options
    We can go round in circles but the club should know people's intentions regarding whether they renew or not. The platform exists to do this so it could be organised for a future date. If people are made aware through leaflets, social media etc of the date then. We have to place the responsibility back on the owner. He has no idea what people think so we should help him.
  • Options
    I'm in
  • Options

Have been offline and avoiding all things Charlton over Xmas as have been too depressed by it all recently and didn't want it to ruin the last few days...but at the same time i've been mulling over my personal reaction to what's going on...it's mainly been apathy, wanting them out but realising that for that to happen there has to be someone to come in etc, but now I'm of the opinion that I just want them out and am thinking that there is something that I should actually be doing about it...so here I am, reading ideas to see where I can contribute...

So, the thing that strikes me most is that we don't seem to actually know how many fans are fed up with it all...on here there is lots of 'let's do this/we're all fed up' etc but at the same time there are those who are not unhappy/who are apathetic to it all...we need to get as definitive a picture as possible of what all fans think (particularly those not on here), so we can then mobilise all those that want a change/something to happen.

There was an excellent job done of producing and handing out flyers for the 2% protest...would it be possible to do this again, but with a simple question on the flyer: 'are you happy with the current regime at Charlton? Yes: thank you for reading this. No: if you would like to effect the change, then please sign up here' or words similar...with the idea of a) getting an idea of the numbers who support 'some form of action' and b) creating our own database (subject to all applicable laws) of people who would like to get involved...at least in that way we can then ensure that people who do want to be involved are aware of what is going on (I like the idea of creating disruption re: the club database, but we also need more 'visible' action that appeals to TV cameras/photographers etc..so protests/the funeral idea are good)..

I'm happy to help with wording on the flyer and to help distribute and pay for them...I'm also happy to help manage a database of fans (I've already set up a gmail account that can be used)...but is the above a good idea? Plausible? Happy to hear any thoughts... In the meantime, I'll be there on Saturday.... Cheers

Have been offline and avoiding all things Charlton over Xmas as have been too depressed by it all recently and didn't want it to ruin the last few days...but at the same time i've been mulling over my personal reaction to what's going on...it's mainly been apathy, wanting them out but realising that for that to happen there has to be someone to come in etc, but now I'm of the opinion that I just want them out and am thinking that there is something that I should actually be doing about it...so here I am, reading ideas to see where I can contribute...

So, the thing that strikes me most is that we don't seem to actually know how many fans are fed up with it all...on here there is lots of 'let's do this/we're all fed up' etc but at the same time there are those who are not unhappy/who are apathetic to it all...we need to get as definitive a picture as possible of what all fans think (particularly those not on here), so we can then mobilise all those that want a change/something to happen.

There was an excellent job done of producing and handing out flyers for the 2% protest...would it be possible to do this again, but with a simple question on the flyer: 'are you happy with the current regime at Charlton? Yes: thank you for reading this. No: if you would like to effect the change, then please sign up here' or words similar...with the idea of a) getting an idea of the numbers who support 'some form of action' and b) creating our own database (subject to all applicable laws) of people who would like to get involved...at least in that way we can then ensure that people who do want to be involved are aware of what is going on (I like the idea of creating disruption re: the club database, but we also need more 'visible' action that appeals to TV cameras/photographers etc..so protests/the funeral idea are good)..

I'm happy to help with wording on the flyer and to help distribute and pay for them...I'm also happy to help manage a database of fans (I've already set up a gmail account that can be used)...but is the above a good idea? Plausible? Happy to hear any thoughts... In the meantime, I'll be there on Saturday.... Cheers

Do we have time to get this together, will be end of Jan before anything comes to fruition and that could be too late at least for this season. After Saturday there is no home game for 3 weeks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So if I email the club and request all my personal details are removed from the system, how will I know if it has actually been done or whether my email has been simply deleted?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    jamescafc said:

So if I email the club and request all my personal details are removed from the system, how will I know if it has actually been done or whether my email has been simply deleted?

You probably won't know, the acid test will be whether the email shots continue or not I'm afraid :neutral:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

jamescafc said:

You probably won't know, the acid test will be whether the email shots continue or not I'm afraid :neutral:
    So I email the club today and request my details are deleted and over the course of the next 2-3 months I continue to receive correspondence from them; invitations to the Vista Lounge, Curry Night, Season ticket renewal etc.

What action can I then take against the club for disregarding my request.

Not trying to pick holes in this suggestion (if it helps reinforce the level of discontent I'm in) but I'd like to understand the impact it can have.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

cabbles said:

100 IN!

100% Fuck off Roland

Looking forward to it

#Standupifyouwantthemout

I thought this was a sit in, not a stand up ?

So far the plan for protest is before the game, during the game and after the game.

It's going to take some coordination and energy from someone or it might seem just a little disorganised.

Edit - and an opt out and a boycott.
    You've just outlined all the reasons I wanted you take an active part in the Black and White campaign...

There's still time for you to join us on any of the above
  • Options
    I shall be there, hoping Katrien takes a picture of me for her private collection ;-)
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

RedChaser said:

jamescafc said:

So I email the club today and request my details are deleted and over the course of the next 2-3 months I continue to receive correspondence from them; invitations to the Vista Lounge, Curry Night, Season ticket renewal etc.

What action can I then take against the club for disregarding my request.

Not trying to pick holes in this suggestion (if it helps reinforce the level of discontent I'm in) but I'd like to understand the impact it can have.

I don't know the full extent of information collected in the database, but as it would most likely contain information that can identify you as an individual it would be covered under Data Protection law rather than anti-spam legislation. A complaint could be made to the Information Commissioner but as I said before, a concerted campaign would most likely be dismissed as vexatious.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2f.htm&CatID=21&m=r

The main point is to bugger the club about, demonstrate again that more than 2% have got the hump with them and disrupt and devalue their marketing operation.