Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You know you're getting old when.

Comments

• Options
    You are Ghibelline thinking about buying a pair of reading glasses that you can hang around your neck on a chain.
    I don’t understand the use of Ghibelline in your post.

Ghibelline
    /ˈɡɪbɪlʌɪn/
    noun
    1. a member of one of the two great political factions in Italian medieval politics, traditionally supporting the Holy Roman emperor against the Pope and his supporters, the Guelphs.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    ...............you can't remember if you have posted on this thread earlier in the year.

I think I might have done - not sure - might have been something about Fiona Bruce?
  • Options
    You can't remember if you have posted on this thread earlier in the year.

I think I might have done - not sure - might have been something about Fiona Bruce?
    I searched "Fiona Bruce" and it's surprising how many different threads she has appeared on, but couldn't see a comment from you. Go on then....
  • Options

I searched "Fiona Bruce" and it's surprising how many different threads she has appeared on, but couldn't see a comment from you. Go on then....
    Well, I took a look myself and I can't find it (i.e the Fiona Bruce reference) but I did come across this related item which I posted in 2018

You will be of a certain age if you can answer at least some of the following:

1) a popular Post-WWII meal item on a Monday evening would be Bread and ********. Fill in the missing word.
    2) When did rationing officially end in the UK after WWII?
    3) Were you able to spend a Victorian penny in 1954 (i.e. was Victorian coinage still in circulation in 1954 - yes or no?
    4) The Festival of Britain was in which year, 1951, 1952 or 1953?
    5) What is an Allotment?
    6) Henry Irving's best cardigan dates from which decade - the 50s or the 60s?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    apologies - the "go on then..." sounds a bit aggressive - not mean that way...

ps I'm a 70's kid and can answer all except 1 and 6. When I was a kid and if we asked what was for dinner to many times my mum would tell us "sugar and sh*t".
  • Options
    When people you later realise are half your age react to your ideas as.‘that’s so much fun’, initially flattered you realise you should be at home building a rocking chair 
  • Options

Well, I took a look myself and I can't find it (i.e the Fiona Bruce reference) but I did come across this related item which I posted in 2018

1) a popular Post-WWII meal item on a Monday evening would be Bread and ********. Fill in the missing word.
    3) Were you able to spend a Victorian penny in 1954 (i.e. was Victorian coinage still in circulation in 1954 - yes or no?
    5) What is an Allotment?
    1) If I dared ask what the next meal was my mum would invariably answer 'Bread and Pullet'. I learned this to mean, 'Shut up, you'll get what you're given and be grateful for that'.  

Never did find out what the saying actually meant ... 
  • Options

5) What is an Allotment?
    1) If I dared ask what the next meal was my mum would invariably answer 'Bread and Pullet'. I learned this to mean, 'Shut up, you'll get what you're given and be grateful for that'.  

On second thoughts ... I think you're talking about bread and dripping (as per the the fat from the Sunday roast).  I never had to suffer that thankfully. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021

5) What is an Allotment?

On second thoughts ... I think you're talking about bread and dripping (as per the the fat from the Sunday roast).  I never had to suffer that thankfully. 
    Used to love it … but soooo bad for you 
  • Options
    apologies - the "go on then..." sounds a bit aggressive - not mean that way...

ps I'm a 70's kid and can answer all except 1 and 6. When I was a kid and if we asked what was for dinner to many times my mum would tell us "sugar and sh*t".
    I didn't find the "go on then"  at all aggressive - so no apologies necessary - really 

@Raith_C_Chattonell has confirmed the missing word in Q1 as 'dripping'.
    In the immediate post War period (and well beyond this for some) meat was a luxury item usually consumed only on a Sunday.

There was no waste - bones would be boiled for soup, the cooking lard and melted meat fat would be saved as dripping for spreading on bread, any meat left over would go into sandwiches for the start of the working week.

I know it's all getting a bit uncomfortably close to Monty Python's living in a cardboard box sketch - but I still take great delight in telling my 30s to mid-40s work colleagues (yes, despite having started work in 1965 I'm still out there) about using old Victorian pennies to pay the bus conductor in the 1950s!

Luxury! I once found a George IIIrd penny in my change when I was about 9.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Google photos send me a selection of my own photos from 4/3/2/1 years ago. Today under the heading 'recent highlights' they featured a wheel barrow full of my own compost (queue Kenneth Williams photo).

OK, keeping and maintaining two compost heaps for a small garden isn't so bad really, is it?  Taking photos of the finished product is a little sad I admit. For Google to realise this is a recent highlight in my life is extremely sad ... and a little bit true.

I keep three compost heaps. If you ever need any chicken poo I’m your woman 😉
  • Options
    A discussion on compost heaps!
    Has it really come to this?

Plus, Please Admin sir, @Arsenetatters has used an emoji which disqualifies her from this thread, doesn't it?

• Options
    Google photos send me a selection of my own photos from 4/3/2/1 years ago. Today under the heading 'recent highlights' they featured a wheel barrow full of my own compost (queue Kenneth Williams photo).

OK, keeping and maintaining two compost heaps for a small garden isn't so bad really, is it?  Taking photos of the finished product is a little sad I admit. For Google to realise this is a recent highlight in my life is extremely sad ... and a little bit true.

I keep three compost heaps. If you ever need any chicken poo I’m your woman 😉

Tsk! Only 3. I've got chicken poo coming out of my ears!
  • Options
    When you dread your passport expiring as the new photo will make you look like an old goat
  • Options
    use manure in garden
  • Options
    You enjoy the chemical reaction between bicarbonate and lemon juice.

The fizz...to.get rid of a bad smell 
  • Options
    E=mc2 said:
    When

You like this blokes username and will attempt to be smug when fully explaining rest energy = m  
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    When you come out of the ground in Harvey Gardens last night, check you bus app on your phone to see a 422 bus is due in the village in 5 mins and the next one is another 25 minutes later, think to yourself you can get that. So off at at fast pace, up Charlton Lane, then having to run the last bit and making the decision to go the bus stop by Charlton park as this will give me more time, only to see the bus sail past the stop as there's no one there as you get to the top of the road.

🤢🤮 both physically & mentally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The morning after a match, you're still going on about foul throws.
  • Options
    When you come out of the ground in Harvey Gardens last night, check you bus app on your phone to see a 422 bus is due in the village in 5 mins and the next one is another 25 minutes later, think to yourself you can get that. So off at at fast pace, up Charlton Lane, then having to run the last bit and making the decision to go the bus stop by Charlton park as this will give me more time, only to see the bus sail past the stop as there's no one there as you get to the top of the road.

Complain to "Dial a Ride" ;)

• Options

Harvey Gardens to the top of Charlton Lane in 5 mins?
    It would surely take most fit people 10 mins?
  • Options
    When you turn over Naked Attraction when the shutters go up.
  • Options
    You find yourself bidding for the most ridiculous old toot on eBay, simply because it evokes some kind of memory from your childhood or youth
  • Options
    You find yourself bidding for the most ridiculous old toot on eBay, simply because it evokes some kind of memory from your childhood or youth
    Was it a Six Million Dollar man or Evel Kieivel?
  • Options
    Was it a Six Million Dollar man or Evel Kieivel?
    Haha. Much older mate.
  • Options
    And some Green Shield stamps?