Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colchester vs Charlton FA cup 3rd Round - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Only two highlights for me. A few pre-match beers in The Purple Pig, (where some poor misguided girl included Charlton in her accumulator) and meeting Bauer at half time. We did improve a little bit in the second half, but it was generally dreadful and an expected loss.
  • Options

Only two highlights for me. A few pre-match beers in The Purple Pig, (where some poor misguided girl included Charlton in her accumulator) and meeting Bauer at half time. We did improve a little bit in the second half, but it was generally dreadful and an expected loss.

Nice pub that

What did Bauer say, it must have been hard for him being surrounded by a whole stand chanting against the owners!
  • Options

Nice pub that

What did Bauer say, it must have been hard for him being surrounded by a whole stand chanting against the owners!
    Yeah it is.
    He was just telling us about his injury and that he hopes to be back soon.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

I'd settle for Mike Bassett now!

Fred Bassett even! Whenever I'm in London I attend a home game and look forward to the atmosphere and watching the game. The next time I'm in London is 6th Feb. and won't be attending. Had a gut full of these Belgian clowns and not giving them anymore of my hard earned dosh!

• Options
    Who's Kyle Andrews ? Anything to do with A/C?
  • Options
    sralan said:

Missed It said:

I'd settle for Mike Bassett now!

Fred Bassett even! Whenever I'm in London I attend a home game and look forward to the atmosphere and watching the game. The next time I'm in London is 6th Feb. and won't be attending. Had a gut full of these Belgian clowns and not giving them anymore of my hard earned dosh!

You dont have to ! - come stand in the car park for the whole game like the rest of us intend to. It'll be much more entertaining than the game.
  • Options
    There are lots of positives to be taken from the game.

I'm just buggered if I can find them.
  • Options

There are lots of positives to be taken from the game. I'm just buggered if I can find them.

Well, we know we have a team coach AND a minibus for the kit

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Their league position doesn't lie, they really are one of the worse teams in our league. We beat them 4-1 recently. (Cue 'they must be bad!' quips)

1 point in ten games makes you right there and that was a draw with 3rd from bottom Oldham.
  • Options
    Colchester have let in 59 goals so far this season. 59 goals by January. They've only played 25 games. That's how bad they are.
  • Options
    Good beer with old mates spoiled by a piss poor display. No fight, no tactics, no chance.
    I thought even we wouldn't loose to a team who are in free fall, but we now know some of these "players" arnt even good enough at league 1 level.
    Some of ours wanted to leave at half time, but we stuck it out for 60 mins. There was no change.
    We have never played in the 4th level of English league but that's where we are heading
  • Options

I've always considered myself lucky that I didn't go to the Dagenham game in League 1. Everything I read about it from those who were there made me sure that that was the worst performance in this club's history. Now, though, I feel like I was there. However bad we were that day, today was without question worse.

Right from the outset the signs were ominous. Johnson and Sarr never had the Colchester front two under control, which is quite something given that they were Marvin Sordell, formerly of this parish, and Chris Porter, who is essentially a Simon Makienok tribute act. It was difficult to pinpoint any actual howlers from either Johnson or Sarr, but that makes it even worse that they were constantly being beaten and having to chase back, as it shows that neither of them has an intelligent footballing brain. It didn't take long for George Moncur, Colchester's one decent player, to find space in the box to fire past the blameless Pope. And it was Sarr who was in the wrong position when he tried to intercept a pass in midfield, letting in Sordell to slide it under Pope to make it 2-0.

At right back Charles-Cook struggled, and without wishing to be overly cruel on a youngster I cannot see any future for him at this level. It should be said in mitigation that he was not helped by having Manuel from Fawlty Towers playing in front of him; Ceballos produced a display of such ineptitude, misplacing even the simplest passes, that he became a contender for the crown of Most Incompetent Person To Come From Barcelona. Unsurprisingly, he didn't emerge for the second half.

Cousins going off injured didn't help matters, but our lack of presence in midfield was staggering. Poyet must have thought that his days of playing in teams as bad as this were over when he left SE7 in 2014, but boy was he wrong. Not that he should get off scot free, as he did nothing to be proud of either. Colchester were consistently first to the ball, stronger in the tackle and more intelligent with their use of it. This is a side which had lost 8 of its last 9 games outrunning, outbattling and outthinking us. Congratulations Karel.

Up front we were as toothless as always. One cross-shot rebounded off the foot of the post in the first half, and keeper and defender conspired to block consecutive efforts from inside the box in the second, but a team playing against a defence as leaky as Colchester's really should have created much more. Makienok won almost nothing in the air again, Moussa was ineffective and Reza's sole positive contribution was to head in our consolation, fine header though it was. Special mention should go to Vaz Te for the most half-arsed display imaginable from a substitute. Imagine letting Watt go for him...

We ended the game being captained by Morgan Fox. Even allowing for the players missing today, it is telling that a player as average and inexperienced as him should be skipper of this club. There was no leadership whatsoever on the field, and nor do we ever get any from Fraeye. That we even scored today was an absolute travesty of justice, as surprising as seeing Sarr play two sublime crossfield balls in succession (believe me, he did). 2-1 does not reflect how comfortable Colchester were.

I commented after the Burnley game that defeats in the North West like that were a longstanding part of our history. Exiting the FA Cup at the first opportunity is equally traditional, even when we have had a good team. What happened today, however, belongs in a whole different category of awfulness, for which three people are responsible. If Karel Fraeye, Katrien Meire and Roland Duchatelet do not leave this club soon, we can expect more days like this.

We have two fights on our hands. The one on the pitch will almost certainly end in relegation. The one off it is the one we need to win.

March 2011? We lost 1-2 to a poor side that got relegated to League Two. We had Dailly, Llera, Wagstaffe, Semedo, Jenkinson (his last game for us) and Wright-Phillips in the starting line up, so really ought to have done better. The dismal run of results at that point really was our lowest ebb, in my view, certainly in the 48 years I've been watching the club - Powell hitting relegation form in the last third of the season, leading to our worst League finish since 1927/1928.

Problem today is that once a slide starts it can be hard to put the breaks on. In 2010-2011 I thought we too might drop into League Two and maybe struggle even there, as have Luton, AFC Bournemouth and a number of sides with decent pedigrees.

Fraeye needs to be replaced. If that isn't done by the end of the month we're down.

• Options

Good beer with old mates spoiled by a piss poor display. No fight, no tactics, no chance.
    I thought even we wouldn't loose to a team who are in free fall, but we now know some of these "players" arnt even good enough at league 1 level.
    Some of ours wanted to leave at half time, but we stuck it out for 60 mins. There was no change.
    We have never played in the 4th level of English league but that's where we are heading

The drink with old mates is so often the highlight of going to a Charlton game...in fact these days it's the only highlight.
  • Options

The drink with old mates is so often the highlight of going to a Charlton game...in fact these days it's the only highlight.
    Only highlight! We scored a goal. What more do you want?
  • Options
    I can't listen to him or read interviews. It makes me too angry.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Any positives....?

My train ticket to Rotherham won't be wasted as this game will still go ahead.
  • Options

Q&A with CAFC fan Kyle Andrews in yesterday's prog.

Interesting comments. Good for him. Nearly got it spot on about Sordell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Q&A with CAFC fan Kyle Andrews in yesterday's prog.

Very well written, summing us up in a nutshell. Even predicted the Sordell winner.
    Does Kyle post on here?
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I've always considered myself lucky that I didn't go to the Dagenham game in League 1. Everything I read about it from those who were there made me sure that that was the worst performance in this club's history. Now, though, I feel like I was there. However bad we were that day, today was without question worse.

Right from the outset the signs were ominous. Johnson and Sarr never had the Colchester front two under control, which is quite something given that they were Marvin Sordell, formerly of this parish, and Chris Porter, who is essentially a Simon Makienok tribute act. It was difficult to pinpoint any actual howlers from either Johnson or Sarr, but that makes it even worse that they were constantly being beaten and having to chase back, as it shows that neither of them has an intelligent footballing brain. It didn't take long for George Moncur, Colchester's one decent player, to find space in the box to fire past the blameless Pope. And it was Sarr who was in the wrong position when he tried to intercept a pass in midfield, letting in Sordell to slide it under Pope to make it 2-0.

At right back Charles-Cook struggled, and without wishing to be overly cruel on a youngster I cannot see any future for him at this level. It should be said in mitigation that he was not helped by having Manuel from Fawlty Towers playing in front of him; Ceballos produced a display of such ineptitude, misplacing even the simplest passes, that he became a contender for the crown of Most Incompetent Person To Come From Barcelona. Unsurprisingly, he didn't emerge for the second half.

Cousins going off injured didn't help matters, but our lack of presence in midfield was staggering. Poyet must have thought that his days of playing in teams as bad as this were over when he left SE7 in 2014, but boy was he wrong. Not that he should get off scot free, as he did nothing to be proud of either. Colchester were consistently first to the ball, stronger in the tackle and more intelligent with their use of it. This is a side which had lost 8 of its last 9 games outrunning, outbattling and outthinking us. Congratulations Karel.

Up front we were as toothless as always. One cross-shot rebounded off the foot of the post in the first half, and keeper and defender conspired to block consecutive efforts from inside the box in the second, but a team playing against a defence as leaky as Colchester's really should have created much more. Makienok won almost nothing in the air again, Moussa was ineffective and Reza's sole positive contribution was to head in our consolation, fine header though it was. Special mention should go to Vaz Te for the most half-arsed display imaginable from a substitute. Imagine letting Watt go for him...

We ended the game being captained by Morgan Fox. Even allowing for the players missing today, it is telling that a player as average and inexperienced as him should be skipper of this club. There was no leadership whatsoever on the field, and nor do we ever get any from Fraeye. That we even scored today was an absolute travesty of justice, as surprising as seeing Sarr play two sublime crossfield balls in succession (believe me, he did). 2-1 does not reflect how comfortable Colchester were.

I commented after the Burnley game that defeats in the North West like that were a longstanding part of our history. Exiting the FA Cup at the first opportunity is equally traditional, even when we have had a good team. What happened today, however, belongs in a whole different category of awfulness, for which three people are responsible. If Karel Fraeye, Katrien Meire and Roland Duchatelet do not leave this club soon, we can expect more days like this.

We have two fights on our hands. The one on the pitch will almost certainly end in relegation. The one off it is the one we need to win.

March 2011? We lost 1-2 to a poor side that got relegated to League Two. We had Dailly, Llera, Wagstaffe, Semedo, Jenkinson (his last game for us) and Wright-Phillips in the starting line up, so really ought to have done better. The dismal run of results at that point really was our lowest ebb, in my view, certainly in the 48 years I've been watching the club - Powell hitting relegation form in the last third of the season, leading to our worst League finish since 1927/1928.

Problem today is that once a slide starts it can be hard to put the breaks on. In 2010-2011 I thought we too might drop into League Two and maybe struggle even there, as have Luton, AFC Bournemouth and a number of sides with decent pedigrees.

Fraeye needs to be replaced. If that isn't done by the end of the month we're down.

Point of order @simonmatthews - we finished lower in 1973/4 under Theo Foley and with Hales, Flanagan, Peacock and Powell in the side - than in 2010/11.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    It is hard to envisage that Murray and Meire cannot see how serious the decline on and off the pitch has become. It's been a brutal eight days for the club, and now the media have started picking up on the unrest, and we'd struggle to win even if the opposition turned up at the wrong ground. Surely to God the two idiots won't chat on Monday and still think it wasn't that bad a weekend and the plan is on course?
  • Options
    Stig said:

The positives:
    - The interview with Kyle Andrews in the programme which was critical of certain aspects of the club's management. It's about as close to sedition as you'll ever see in a football programme.
    - The tribute to Seb Lewis on the big screen. Well done Col U.
    - The fact that it is another nail (perhaps even the final one) in Fraeye's coaching coffin.

The Negatives:
    - Absolutely everything else.

The worst performance since Preston (Actually the performance was probably worse than that. It's just that Preston are better than Colchester). The worst cup exit since Northwich (maybe - there's a lot that my mind deliberately blanks out these days). It took us 15 minutes to have a shot and 30 to get one on target against a team 24 places below us. Any build up play that we managed was excruciatingly slow and predictable. Players control of the ball was appalling; Roger Johnson twice made awful headers down into his own box to totally open things up for them. There were also some awful balls played right across our own back line. Colchester were generally poor, but we made them look fantastic. They did what they had to at the back (not very much) and had some good diagonal movement up front. We defended way too deep allowing them control right up to and around the box - and with a couple of centre halves who looked like they'd been fitted with lead boots, right through the middle as well.

We alternated two different playing formations. Firstly, we played the crucifix formation which consisted of having an eight man spine, with one man out on each touch line. When in possession, this meant that no one could make a decent pass because every other player was directly in front or behind their teammates except the two wingers who were too far away from everyone else. When defending, it meant that we were always under threat, because Colchester only had to nudge it a couple of yards wide and they could run through. The other formation that we tried was the jellyfish. This consisted of having players dotted around randomly with seeming no rhyme or reason to what they were doing. Sometimes they did the static jellyfish which was a bit like having eleven pre-school kids playing musical statues whilst the kids from down the road were allowed to run around freely between them. At other times they played the mobile jellyfish, AKA running around randomly trying to confuse your own teammates. It would be nice to think that the mobile jellyfish was controlled by some simple but effective algorithm, like the one that Starlings employ to make beautiful patterns in the sky. Such an algorithm might lead us to play our own seamless and flowing brand of total-football. In reality though, our jellyfish formation is controlled by the brain of one Karel Fraeye and as such, no-one not even Fraeye himself had a clue what was going on. Perhaps the greatest indication of this was when Vaz Te was brought on. Did he come on with instructions from our 'coach' on what should be happening? Did he go to where he should have been playing and start threatening them? No, he stood there like a showroom dummy until Poyet told him were he had to go. Next time Ricardo, I'd like to be the one to tell you where to go!

And where was the fight? Friends of mine from Colchester said that they were bracing themselves at half time for an onslaught. We had to give it a go surely! Surely not. We came out for the second half like a bunch of loveable puppies waiting for our tummies to be tickled. By the time we started anything like a fightback it was well too late. In the end, Reza's goal might have done us a disservice. We deserved to lose by more. I hate seeing us lose, but if it takes a heavy defeat or two for the scales to fall from our owner's eyes it's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make.

Sorry, but there's no other words for it. It was a total fucking disgrace. Fraeye, you have to go! Meire, you employed him - you have to go too! Duchatelet, you're the one playing Billy fucking big bollocks with your pathetic little experiment - you have to go as well!

Your quip about the crucifix and jellyfish formations did make me chuckle!

In seriousness, and just out of interest, could anyone there tell me what formation we did actually start with? (Assuming the crucifix system came a few minutes after kick-off)
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Stig said:

The positives:
    - The interview with Kyle Andrews in the programme which was critical of certain aspects of the club's management. It's about as close to sedition as you'll ever see in a football programme.
    - The tribute to Seb Lewis on the big screen. Well done Col U.
    - The fact that it is another nail (perhaps even the final one) in Fraeye's coaching coffin.

The Negatives:
    - Absolutely everything else.

The worst performance since Preston (Actually the performance was probably worse than that. It's just that Preston are better than Colchester). The worst cup exit since Northwich (maybe - there's a lot that my mind deliberately blanks out these days). It took us 15 minutes to have a shot and 30 to get one on target against a team 24 places below us. Any build up play that we managed was excruciatingly slow and predictable. Players control of the ball was appalling; Roger Johnson twice made awful headers down into his own box to totally open things up for them. There were also some awful balls played right across our own back line. Colchester were generally poor, but we made them look fantastic. They did what they had to at the back (not very much) and had some good diagonal movement up front. We defended way too deep allowing them control right up to and around the box - and with a couple of centre halves who looked like they'd been fitted with lead boots, right through the middle as well.

We alternated two different playing formations. Firstly, we played the crucifix formation which consisted of having an eight man spine, with one man out on each touch line. When in possession, this meant that no one could make a decent pass because every other player was directly in front or behind their teammates except the two wingers who were too far away from everyone else. When defending, it meant that we were always under threat, because Colchester only had to nudge it a couple of yards wide and they could run through. The other formation that we tried was the jellyfish. This consisted of having players dotted around randomly with seeming no rhyme or reason to what they were doing. Sometimes they did the static jellyfish which was a bit like having eleven pre-school kids playing musical statues whilst the kids from down the road were allowed to run around freely between them. At other times they played the mobile jellyfish, AKA running around randomly trying to confuse your own teammates. It would be nice to think that the mobile jellyfish was controlled by some simple but effective algorithm, like the one that Starlings employ to make beautiful patterns in the sky. Such an algorithm might lead us to play our own seamless and flowing brand of total-football. In reality though, our jellyfish formation is controlled by the brain of one Karel Fraeye and as such, no-one not even Fraeye himself had a clue what was going on. Perhaps the greatest indication of this was when Vaz Te was brought on. Did he come on with instructions from our 'coach' on what should be happening? Did he go to where he should have been playing and start threatening them? No, he stood there like a showroom dummy until Poyet told him were he had to go. Next time Ricardo, I'd like to be the one to tell you where to go!

And where was the fight? Friends of mine from Colchester said that they were bracing themselves at half time for an onslaught. We had to give it a go surely! Surely not. We came out for the second half like a bunch of loveable puppies waiting for our tummies to be tickled. By the time we started anything like a fightback it was well too late. In the end, Reza's goal might have done us a disservice. We deserved to lose by more. I hate seeing us lose, but if it takes a heavy defeat or two for the scales to fall from our owner's eyes it's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make.

Sorry, but there's no other words for it. It was a total fucking disgrace. Fraeye, you have to go! Meire, you employed him - you have to go too! Duchatelet, you're the one playing Billy fucking big bollocks with your pathetic little experiment - you have to go as well!

Rather than say what everyone else is saying I thought I'd just use Stig's assessment as it sums up everything I feel. When we lost 3-0 at Blackburn earlier this season I said that it was the worst performance I'd ever seen from a Charlton team (and that includes the League Cup quarter final defeat by Wycombe) but the first half performance at Colchester yesterday ran it pretty close. No plan, no energy, no spirit, ponderous, unadventurous, clueless....what a pitiful sight our team has become under this rabble! I'd have more confidence in my 2 year old grandson running Charlton than Fraeye!
  • Options

Point of order @simonmatthews - we finished lower in 1973/4 under Theo Foley and with Hales, Flanagan, Peacock and Powell in the side - than in 2010/11.
    Oy! In 1973/74 we had 46 points..........Using the same points system for 2010/11 we'd have had 44. I think you'll find that is our worst tally for the third tier since 1927/28?

Worst yet, that is........................
  • Options
    Maybe the logic is, if the fans turn on the players (yes it doesn't help their performances, accepted) then the players will get so cheesed off they themselves turn on the regime that we ourselves can't get through to.
    My question is should we support the team when they are so supine to the madness of the regime?
    Instead of us invading the pitch, the players should invade the stands and join with us in our protests.