Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt (ed. Page 12- set to join Hearts)

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:

I reckon there is as much truth in this "homesick" spin as there was in Dale Stephens wanting to move back "north". My guess he feels he is better than L1 (true) and wants to get out of the madhouse (don't blame him). For their part the club are keen to get his wages off the books and rid themselves of an unpredictable negative influence in the dressing room.

I don't know, Watt has been putting some soppy tweets out about his Mrs. who lives up there, and a few about it being difficult away from home or whatever.

Don't get me wrong - honestly, I think 'suck it up and honour the contract you signed' but I do believe that he's homesick. Stephens was clearly him being shipped out before he left on a free, which I think he was always going to do.
  • Options
    Not in the know or anything, but I've a feeling Tony Watt is actually very well liked by the players but he falls out with our clown like managerial appointments, which is quite easy to understand.
  • Options
    Colin is still trying to type.........
  • Options

Tony could walk into the Celtic/Rangers side if he applied himself properly. Bloke has premier league levels of ability

Surely Mark Warburton would be an ideal Manager to get the best out of Tony.

Unless of course the thought of crossing the Glasgow divide is something that Tony himself doesnt want to do
    Moving to Rangers wouldn't exactly be a good way of quietly slipping back home!
    cafctom said:

Not in the know or anything, but I've a feeling Tony Watt is actually very well liked by the players but he falls out with our clown like managerial appointments, which is quite easy to understand.

I would agree, but his fallouts elsewhere suggest that in this case a lot of the "blame" comes down to him
  • Options

think he's a good player and will be sorry to see him go as i think he would have been very decent in league 1 next year.

fixed it for you
  • Options

Davo55 said:

I reckon there is as much truth in this "homesick" spin as there was in Dale Stephens wanting to move back "north". My guess he feels he is better than L1 (true) and wants to get out of the madhouse (don't blame him). For their part the club are keen to get his wages off the books and rid themselves of an unpredictable negative influence in the dressing room.

I don't know, Watt has been putting some soppy tweets out about his Mrs. who lives up there, and a few about it being difficult away from home or whatever.

Don't get me wrong - honestly, I think 'suck it up and honour the contract you signed' but I do believe that he's homesick. Stephens was clearly him being shipped out before he left on a free, which I think he was always going to do.
    Agree, I think there is at least SOME truth in the story. I doubt it's the whole story, but don't think it's entirely fabricated either.

There's a lot of talk on here about him needing to knuckle down and work hard. I think it's more than that, I think it's him needing to settle down and listen, take coaching, learn the game, movement, and patterns of play better. His complete lack of desire to pass can be infuriating. That's something that needs to be coached into him.

To be fair, he's still only 22. He had A LOT at a very, very young age, including moving away from home at 18. Some (mostly foreign players coming in to Britain) are mature enough to handle that, others aren't. I think it's fair to say he's struggled with it, whether it's homesickness or just the ability to settle at one club.
  • Options
    Can't remember when/where it was exactly, but didn't Katrien once use Tony as an example of network success? Something like 'but without the network, we wouldn't have players like Tony Watt at Charlton'

Tony played and scored bugger all for us, loaned out twice, we were relegated and he's leaving for nothing. Thank God for the network eh?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

Agree, I think there is at least SOME truth in the story. I doubt it's the whole story, but don't think it's entirely fabricated either.

There's a lot of talk on here about him needing to knuckle down and work hard. I think it's more than that, I think it's him needing to settle down and listen, take coaching, learn the game, movement, and patterns of play better. His complete lack of desire to pass can be infuriating. That's something that needs to be coached into him.

To be fair, he's still only 22. He had A LOT at a very, very young age, including moving away from home at 18. Some (mostly foreign players coming in to Britain) are mature enough to handle that, others aren't. I think it's fair to say he's struggled with it, whether it's homesickness or just the ability to settle at one club.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtic-goal-hero-tony-watt-1119993#Uukr0zHM3MVUi3Rd.97

Watt was only discovered aged 15, and he still seems to play the same way, the raw kid with talent, who hasn't been coached to play in a team. He really needs to stay somewhere, and get taught properly how to be an all round striker, and not the kid who plays his own individual game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No surprise. Ajose & Novak were going to play in any case & if Jay Simpson comes as well, Watt wouldn't have been 1st choice.

Watt definitely struggles with authority, discipline & fitness, so let him go.

If we are to succeed on the field, we need a squad of dedicated professionals and I regret Watt isn't.

So Vetokele, Cousins, JBG, Pope & Watt gone.

Texeira, Bauer & Lookman remain. (possibly Harriot as well).

If those 3 all stay, then Katriens might fly.
  • Options
    Think it's odd that he needs to move to kick on he was one of our best players for half a season then struggled in a shitshow of a team for the start of last season and played no worse than our other strikers.

Sure he wasn't consistent but I'd always be a bit more excited about a team including Watt than one without.
  • Options

No surprise. Ajose & Novak were going to play in any case & if Jay Simpson comes as well, Watt wouldn't have been 1st choice.

Watt definitely struggles with authority, discipline & fitness, so let him go.

If we are to succeed on the field, we need a squad of dedicated professionals and I regret Watt isn't.

So Vetokele, Cousins, JBG, Pope & Watt gone.

Texeira, Bauer & Lookman remain. (possibly Harriot as well).

If those 3 all stay, then Katriens might fly.
    Agreed. I was never expecting any of those 3 to stay & I'm still not, although I think Bauer may.
  • Options
    Shame we couldn't get a fee but not a great surprise.
  • Options
    Never expected to see him play for us in League one

A fantastic, brilliant talent, but total arsehole by most accounts. I think its a case of too much water under the bridge and he has pissed off too many people at the club, I hope someone at Hearts gives him a good shake, and then maybe we will see his full potential.

Don't hold your breath though...
  • Options
    Hearts could hand former Celtic striker Tony Watt a return to Scottish football after holding talks with Charlton Athletic over a loan move.

Reports in London yesterday suggested that Charlton had given the switch the green light on 'compassionate grounds' because of Watt's desire to move closer to his family north of the border.

However, it is understood that, although Hearts are hopeful of concluding a deal for the 22-year-old, discussions have not yet reached an advanced stage and work remains to be done if they are to clinch the player's signature.

Watt, whose time at Celtic was characterised by his winning goal in the Champions League win over Barcelona in 2012, had loan spells with both Cardiff City and Blackburn Rovers last season and made his full Scotland debut as a late substitute in March's 1-0 friendly defeat to the Czech Republic.

That international bow came just days after Scotland assistant Mark McGhee had branded the marksman as someone with 'unbelievable ability' but 'one of these boys who is not fit enough; he doesn't train hard enough'.
  • Options
    Wasn't there a story that Roland screwed Standard to get Watt and they refused to let us have Bulot as a result?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You're fcking kidding me Hearts are my other team...
  • Options

Tony could walk into the Celtic/Rangers side if he applied himself properly. Bloke has premier league levels of ability

Surely Mark Warburton would be an ideal Manager to get the best out of Tony.

Unless of course the thought of crossing the Glasgow divide is something that Tony himself doesnt want to do
    He would never make that move, a huge sellick man, hope he enjoys all the union flag waving hearts fans
  • Options
    H-E-A-R-T-S if you cannae spell it this is what it says Hearts, Hearts glorious Hearts, it's down at tynecastle they bide,the talk o the toon are the boys in maroon and auld reekie supports them wi pride!

If he signs for the JTs then he really is desperate to get back up the road
  • Options
    FIrst game of the season - Jambos v Celtic.
  • Options
    Staying just down the road from a Scotish town called Twatt right now!
  • Options
    Advanced talks according to my Edinburgh based sources
  • Options

Advanced talks according to my Edinburgh based sources

Well if he doesn't go to Hearts he will go somewhere else, so I couldn't care less.
  • Options
    Someone on the Hearts forum described Watt as a "Griffiths-like" signing for them.

To compare Tony Watt's ability to the ability of Leigh Griffiths is an insult to the former. Griffiths couldn't get in Wolves' League one yet Watt could play in the prem.