Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt (ed. Page 12- set to join Hearts)

Comments

• Options

Someone on the Hearts forum described Watt as a "Griffiths-like" signing for them.

To compare Tony Watt's ability to the ability of Leigh Griffiths is an insult to the former. Griffiths couldn't get in Wolves' League one yet Watt could play in the prem.

Yes, the Scottish Premiership, not the English one!
  • Options
    Can someone explain, after three loans now, why we didn't sell him. We have sold Pope, JBG and Cousins. There has been an ongoing desperation at the Valley since christmas for TW to be elswhere. So why not raise some cash and sell him?
  • Options
    I think they would if clubs (that he would sign for) were offering to buy him but there are still a few question marks over the lad.

Cardiff liked what they saw but got hit with a transfer embargo, Blackburn I believe had first refusal and Coyle hadn't been overly impressed
  • Options
    Can he play for a fourth team in a year?
  • Options

Can he play for a fourth team in a year?

He can do - think the rule about a number of clubs is only during the season.
  • Options
    I presume that nobody wants to buy him! He needs a fantastic season and somebody will. But surely we need one or two players who might elevate us in the division we find ourselves. Watt would certainly have been one of those players!
  • Options
    I wonder weather we have to pay Standard any more if he makes a certain amount of appearances or goals scored, also could be some kind of selling fee back to them, which would explain why it's always loans.
  • Options

I wonder weather we have to pay Standard any more if he makes a certain amount of appearances or goals scored, also could be some kind of selling fee back to them, which would explain why it's always loans.

Unless they are getting 100% of the fee, the club would be off selling him (not that I want to see him go) as when his contract is finished, he can walk away for free.
  • Options
    Agreed.... Wasnt interested in us
  • Options

Unless they are getting 100% of the fee, the club would be off selling him (not that I want to see him go) as when his contract is finished, he can walk away for free.
    Wouldn't surprise me with these clowns in charge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You're fcking kidding me Hearts are my other team...

Ha. Mine's Hibs...
  • Options

Can someone explain, after three loans now, why we didn't sell him. We have sold Pope, JBG and Cousins. There has been an ongoing desperation at the Valley since christmas for TW to be elswhere. So why not raise some cash and sell him?

Perhaps nobody was prepared to offer him a lengthy contract on his terms. Given his history, it would be a brave decision to tie him up for say three years on big money (and to pay a fee for him too).

In my view, TW has been the most exciting player to have played at The Valley since Simonsen or Mortimer but he definitely wasn't up for it last season.
  • Options
    Tony Watt is incredibly overrated - yes he is capable of brilliance but most of the time is a liability. Will he ever fulfil his potential?
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Perhaps nobody was prepared to offer him a lengthy contract on his terms. Given his history, it would be a brave decision to tie him up for say three years on big money (and to pay a fee for him too).

In my view, TW has been the most exciting player to have played at The Valley since Simonsen or Mortimer but he definitely wasn't up for it last season.
    I would put Ricardo Fuller in that bracket, when he played.
  • Options
    Out of (a very minor) interest, does anyone know what his girlfriend does? It'd seem very odd for a professional footballer to move clubs to be near his WAG. Don't they usually just follow the footballer?
  • Options

If we're whoring him around to anyone that will pay some, but not all, of his wages then surely allowing him to leave for free would be desirable to us. At least as soon as he 'walks away for free' we won't be subsidising his wages any more or paying him when he's injured, not fit or during the close season.

Those running out club are so incompetent they couldn't buy a fiver for less than six quid and then they wouldn't be able to sell it for four pounds a year later.
  • Options

Out of (a very minor) interest, does anyone know what his girlfriend does? It'd seem very odd for a professional footballer to move clubs to be near his WAG. Don't they usually just follow the footballer?

Still at University maybe...?

Know what you mean but could be the type who wants to forge a career for themselves in case he ever pisses off
  • Options

I'll ask her later ;-))
  • Options
    Having his medical as I type and will be unveiled tonight assuming there are no hickups with the medical :smiley:
  • Options

I'll ask her later ;-))
    You're seeing her later? Hooker then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Today I learned that Hearts' Twitter handle is @jamtarts
  • Options

Having his medical as I type and will be unveiled tonight assuming there are no hickups with the medical :smiley:

:smiley:
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Interesting article , he's not going to change clearly, he seems to have followed the same pattern where ever he has played. I think with managers should give up on trying to change and just embrace the way he is
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:

Chizz said:
    Interesting article , he's not going to change clearly, he seems to have followed the same pattern where ever he has played. I think with managers should give up on trying to change and just embrace the way he is
    But then he isn't good enough for most teams to build their tactics around him, if he just wants to do his trickery in areas of the pitch which cause little damage to the opposition
  • Options
    Funny that the quote from a manager claiming to know how to handle him is from Russell Slade. Wonder why he couldn't apply such excellent striker coaching skills to Ajose
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Here's an extract from the article I wrote about Watt for the first issue of Nutmeg Magazine:

castrust.org/2016/11/614885/

Print edition of first issue sold out but further info and subscriptions for Issue Two (plus digital download of first) available here:
    https://nutmegmagazine.co.uk/
  • Options

Funny that the quote from a manager claiming to know how to handle him is from Russell Slade. Wonder why he couldn't apply such excellent striker coaching skills to Ajose

Slade took Watt to his favourite pie shop, and they got on like a house on fire!
  • Options

To be fair Ajose is a different person, but I was wondering why he couldn't seemingly get more of Watt himself (though I admit if Watt was struggling to settle there may have been nothing Slade could have done).
  • Options
    on his way to on his way to Salford City