Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt (ed. Page 12- set to join Hearts)

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    on his way to on his way to Salford City
    Eh?!
  • Options
    Zzzzzzz.
  • Options
    Surprised to see that of the 13 professional clubs he has played for there is only one club he played more games for than us.
  • Options
    timken said:
    Surprised to see that of the 13 professional clubs he has played for there is only one club he played more games for than us.
    It says it all about him that, in 11 years as a pro, he has averaged just 6 goals a season. For a bloke of his talent that really is poor and I suspect that not many would have said that, when he scored that double for Celtic on debut, his career would end up going the way it has. It also tells as much about the equivalent standard, for all bar the top two sides, of the Scottish highest division is the fourth tier in English football. 
  • Options
    timken said:
    It says it all about him that, in 11 years as a pro, he has averaged just 6 goals a season. For a bloke of his talent that really is poor and I suspect that not many would have said that, when he scored that double for Celtic on debut, his career would end up going the way it has. It also tells as much about the equivalent standard, for all bar the top two sides, of the Scottish highest division is the fourth tier in English football. 
    Scoring that goal was a gift and a curse for him.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    timken said:
    His debut goal or the one against Barcelona?
  • Options
    I don't know why he left Motherwell. That's the one place since he left us where he seemed at home, and was playing well. 
  • Options
    I don't know why he left Motherwell. That's the one place since he left us where he seemed at home, and was playing well. 
    Maybe they didn't mother him well?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    timken said:
    His debut goal or the one against Barcelona?
    Definitely the Barca goal. It was amazing, a really great moment not just for him, Celtic but also Scottish football which was seriously starved of hero’s at this point (still is!).

The pressure and expectation that came with it though was enormous, there was hype around him before that, but it became ridiculous after that goal. That would be hard enough in any environment, but in the goldfish bowl of Glasgow and all the madness that comes with it then it probably would have been very challenging for anyone. I also have a suspicion that he himself started to believe the hype, believe he had “made it”, when really he was still just an unfulfilled potential that very sadly was never fulfilled.

Despite being a Rangers fan, I like Watt. I think, at heart, he’s a good guy and he’s always spoken highly about Charlton (think he slagged off Lyle Taylor on social media too!). He struggles with his own demons which he has spoken about and I’m sure we can all empathise with that. I wish he had stayed at Motherwell, he seemed happy there and was banging in the goals before he moved to Dundee Utd last January. I worry that the move to Salford will be a negative for him (both on and off the pitch).

Didn’t expect I would be writing three paragraphs about Tony Watt today when I woke up this morning!