Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Riga *Might* be coming back

Comments

• Options

As I have a poor memory, what Managers with Championship experience are currently available?

Steve Clarke, Nigel Pearson, Lee Clark, Chris Powell, Gary Monk, Gary Bowyer, Kit Symons, Uwe Rosler, Tim Sherwood, Paul Dickov

Have all recently managed in the Championship or at lower PL teams. Many would be out of our league, but not all. Plus there will be L1 managers who'd jump at the chance of managing us.
    Steve Clarke and Nigel Pearson are outside of our level, both will go to clubs in the top six of the Championship at least
    Lee Clark... No thanks
    Chris Powell... Why mention him, he's obviously not going to come back under Roland
    Gary Bowyer... Not a bad mention
    Kit Symons... Struggled with a Fulham side which are in a far better position than us (i.e. look at where they are with McCormack)
    Uwe Rosler... Did well @ Brentford but pony at Wigan and Leeds

Neither Garry Monk nor Tim Sherwood have managed in the Championship so that smacks in the face of wanting an experienced Championship Manager who knows our league, Sherwood has simply destroyed Aston Villa whilst Gary Monk will be in the same category as Clarke and Pearson.

The sort of experienced Championship Manager we can hope for is:

Ian Holloway... Gary Johnson (Who is with Cheltenham so we'd have to pay compensation)... Iain Dowie etc. the men who have failed badly in the Championship (bar a single good season) and want to find a muppet club who'll give them a chance to prove they can succeed again.

From League One you've got the likes of Nigel Adkins yet I doubt Sheffield United would release him.. Phil Parkinson who I couldnt see working under Roland.. Tony Mowbray (leave him at Coventry)... Nigel Clough has just rejoined Burton

The only option I'd want from League One is Justin Edinburgh @ Gillingham but again would he work under Roland and would Scully want to release him, especially as in recent years he's moaned about Charlton at every opportunity he's got
  • Options

Riga is 100% back.
    Do like him BUT to me having him back just shows total and utter contempt for the fans again.The next appointment after Riga will be interesting.

O'Loughlin at Sint Truiden
  • Options

Paul Lambert was perfect. We missed the boat.

Blackburn are only 8 points ahead of us despite how poor we are. I thought they'd be doing better under him.
  • Options

Paul Lambert was perfect. We missed the boat.

Would have loved him here but again I class him under the Steve Clarke / Nigel Pearson category... He's the sort that'll go to a top side in the Championship that is either fighting for promotion or is just adrift from that group.

Other names from League One could include: Phil Brown (Has again been a disaster above League One), of course Paul Dickov was mentioned but when in the Championship; Doncaster were relatively comfortable yet nose dived towards the end of that season
  • Options
    Right, maybe Riga was contacted yesterday or Sunday and he said he would return after tonight. It would give him more time to assess his squad and work out a first eleven, Carol's scatter gun selections can't be any indication to an outsider.
  • Options
    Rigas only terms were I will only join after the Huddersfield game. Sod going back up to that grim place.
  • Options
    Should have sacked Carol after the game. Leaving him in post makes them look even more stupid - if that is possible.

Players will all know he is going and that is not good. If we do fluke a win and then he sacked it looks even more stupid.

Just sack him now and put Jason in charge. Please.
  • Options
    Honest question........ is KF qualified to coach in the English Championship?
  • Options

Riga is 100% back.
    Do like him BUT to me having him back just shows total and utter contempt for the fans again.The next appointment after Riga will be interesting.

thought it was going to Marc Wilmots?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We dont need a manager with championship experience, we need a manager who can coach and set a team up.

Would we seriously turn down Jose because he has no championship experience.
  • Options

It may not have been possible for Riga to take charge at Huddersfield, in which case I am not sure it would have been sensible to announce he was taking over subsequently.

At the same time the SLP story has bought them a little time, as there would have been meltdown with Fraeye still in post and no sign of change. Not that I think they are that clever...

Can't imagine them having Fraeye in charge against Blackburn unless there are two remarkable results in the meantime.

In normal circumstances I would agree, but we have a board with no real care how they are perceived or, seemingly, what the fans think. And they must also be aware that Riga's appointment will hardly be greeted as the news everyone was waiting for. The SLP story bought them 12 hours but now has only served to make them look even more as if they don't know what they are doing.

Either way, Fraeye won't be in charge for the Blackburn game unless we win both on the road, which won't happen. But I can see Euell being in temporary charge ... which would make him caretaker interim manager?!
  • Options
    Imagine a disaster like us winning tonight .....
  • Options

Riga is 100% back.

Riga is 100% back.

You mean Gary Wilmot? This is Charlton
  • Options
    masicat said:

Imagine a disaster like us winning tonight .....

don't make me flag you ;o)
  • Options

Speaking to a non Charlton fan working at sky sports they have been tracking talks with ivan vukomanovic. But I can't find anything on sky sports news and would think a press outlet would publish something of the type as soon as they had it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Vukomanović

Think this is a bit of a wind up.
    This whole season has been a wind up!!
  • Options

I'd love for them to offer it to Euell but him being one of us, tells them to poke it.

The blokes proved with the u21 that's he's a talented coach, don't let them ruin your career before it's started Jason!

Very true, he could be a future manager but for his sake I hope it's not under this regime.
    And to be fair, we don't know who does what between Fraeye, Euell and the other bloke in terms of formations and factics. And while Euell did a good job with the U21s, they're continuing very nicely in his absence, the top job would be a step too far for him at this stage, we need experience
  • Options
    Marc Wilmots is coming, so what is the fuss about?

Someone has a 'sauce' remember!
  • Options
    Luzon, then Vukomanovic, followed by Riga would be a repeat of Standard's managers last season.
  • Options

uote class="Quote" rel="Airman Brown">

I don't know how to do this but I would send something to SLP along the lines of.:

@richardcrawley

Interested to read your article about the return of Riga and would be interested to know when your source expected this to happen.

Should Riga not have decided to join in the end, would you question whether your source is out of their depth and certainly not fit to be an executive of a Championship football club either personally or in your paper?

He'd point out that his story didn't say it would definitely happen before Huddersfield, just that it could.
    “Riga looks set to return” – “Riga may be asked” – “The Addicks could move before Tuesday’s game. “
    Full of and's if's and maybe's

That may well be the case but it might just as well say Alex Ferguson might be asked or ShootersHillGuru might be asked. The point is. Cawley wouldn't have printed that if he hadn't been primed by the club to do so.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    That this is what you get when searching Jose Riga on Twitter won't please the fragrant Ms Meire. And he's not even been appointed yet!
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Riga is 100% back.
    Do like him BUT to me having him back just shows total and utter contempt for the fans again.The next appointment after Riga will be interesting Peeters.

Fixed that for you...
  • Options
    sralan said:

Honest question........ is KF qualified to coach in the English Championship?

Got his coaching badges collecting them on packs of Kellogg's cereal packets
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

With regards to the "we need a manager with Championship experience" I disagree. I'm not saying that if the opportunity came up to get someone who has experience it should be overlooked, just that it should not be top of the list of priorities. A good manager outweighs Championship experience easily imo. You just have to look at the club's doing well recently and their managers.

Karanka - 1st managerial job
    Clement - 1st managerial job
    Carvalhal - 1st job in England
    Rowett- 2nd season in Championship

Even looking back at last year with Neal and the committee at Watford. I'd rather take a coach from abroad with a good reputation than someone who has been around the 2nd and 3rd tiers for years e.g. Holloway, Warnock, Mowbray.

This isn't an I agree with what Roland is doing post, just a I disagree with some of the demands coming from some fans.

Excellent Post
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

With regards to the "we need a manager with Championship experience" I disagree. I'm not saying that if the opportunity came up to get someone who has experience it should be overlooked, just that it should not be top of the list of priorities. A good manager outweighs Championship experience easily imo. You just have to look at the club's doing well recently and their managers.

Even looking back at last year with Neal and the committee at Watford. I'd rather take a coach from abroad with a good reputation than someone who has been around the 2nd and 3rd tiers for years e.g. Holloway, Warnock, Mowbray.

This isn't an I agree with what Roland is doing post, just a I disagree with some of the demands coming from some fans.

Both Karanka and Clement had really good experience as coaches/assistants. Joining a stable club with a decent squad of established players helps as well, Boro have a track record of giving managers a decent length of time in the job while he inherited at Derby a very good squad of players who should have got promoted last season really

Carvarhal was a bit more random, as it seems that he hadn't managed for 3 years before taking the Wednesday job
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Both Karanka and Clement had really good experience as coaches/assistants. Joining a stable club with a decent squad of established players helps as well, Boro have a track record of giving managers a decent length of time in the job while he inherited at Derby a very good squad of players who should have got promoted last season really

Carvarhal was a bit more random, as it seems that he hadn't managed for 3 years before taking the Wednesday job
    So it agrees with my point. Just saying Championship experience is misleading. Experience yes, it doesn't necessarily have to be in this country.

I'll also tell you what helps even more. Money. The only exceptions in the top 10 at the moment are probably Brentford, Birmingham and Ipswich in terms of money spent. It's no surprise that those teams that are up there are the richest. There is a very strong correlation between performance and wage expenditure.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Excellent Post
    And sticking my neck think we will be adding Nathan Jones to that list.

Others like Gareth Ainsworth and Justin Edinburgh I would be happy if the board took time to consider them.
  • Options
    COME ON JOSE...
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I agree in general with your point but I think we need experience in English(they don't need to be British) football right now, as in our current position of heading towards League 1 in a much steeper nose dive then the last time Riga arrived, one more wrong appointment and that could be that for Charlton as a reasonable sized club for many years to come.

We need a stop the rot, not pretty but effective style of football manager IMO.

Taking a punt on an unknown(and I count Riga in that) is for mid-table at worst teams, I don't believe we have that luxury.