Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Riga *Might* be coming back

Comments

• Options
    I reckon Charlton will be promoted in 2016/2017
  • Options

I agree in general with your point but I think we need experience in English(they don't need to be British) football right now, as in our current position of heading towards League 1 in a much steeper nose dive then the last time Riga arrived, one more wrong appointment and that could be that for Charlton as a reasonable sized club for many years to come.

We need a stop the rot, not pretty but effective style of football manager IMO.

Taking a punt on an unknown(and I count Riga in that) is for mid-table at worst teams, I don't believe we have that luxury.

But as the list at the top of the previous page shows there just isn't any available/attainable and good enough at the moment. Any appointment is a punt and personally I'd rather punt on a young ambitious coach with a good reputation rather than a charlatan in the mould of Holloway etc. Your post also assumes that just because a manager is foreign that they wouldn't be able to play effective football, not sure I can agree with that. It's just another stereotyping to put alongside all Brazilians are just tricky skillful players, Asians aren't strong enough to compete physically etc.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Via more facebook adverts?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

nice to think that but the question is; from where?
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

nice to think that but the question is; from where?
    Exactly!
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Col I think the problem is that we have very little Champ experience in our squad and also at board level. Where other clubs will be able to support a manager with the knowledge from various sources within it's just something we don't have throughout the club at the moment.

People are looking at the situation and thinking that the only real way of shoehorning some kind of experience and knowledge into the club is through the manager's position.

How do I like more than once?
  • Options
    As has been said but remains true, any new manager with the same owner and CEO will make no difference
  • Options
    You mean from division one don't you dazzler
  • Options

Addicted said:

Col I think the problem is that we have very little Champ experience in our squad and also at board level. Where other clubs will be able to support a manager with the knowledge from various sources within it's just something we don't have throughout the club at the moment.

People are looking at the situation and thinking that the only real way of shoehorning some kind of experience and knowledge into the club is through the manager's position.

6 stage process

1) Create multiple accounts.

2) Have them argue with one another late at night.

3) Boost your LOL and Like count into the thousands.

4) ???

5) Profit.

6) Remember to come back to this thread to click 'Like' again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

I agree in general with your point but I think we need experience in English(they don't need to be British) football right now, as in our current position of heading towards League 1 in a much steeper nose dive then the last time Riga arrived, one more wrong appointment and that could be that for Charlton as a reasonable sized club for many years to come.

Taking a punt on an unknown(and I count Riga in that) is for mid-table at worst teams, I don't believe we have that luxury.

But as the list at the top of the previous page shows there just isn't any available/attainable and good enough at the moment. Any appointment is a punt and personally I'd rather punt on a young ambitious coach with a good reputation rather than a charlatan in the mould of Holloway etc. Your post also assumes that just because a manager is foreign that they wouldn't be able to play effective football, not sure I can agree with that. It's just another stereotyping to put alongside all Brazilians are just tricky skillful players, Asians aren't strong enough to compete physically etc.
    Where did I stereotype foreign managers?

I clearly state that they don't need to be British, just have English football experience, as I don't think we can afford to have someone learning as they go about English football when we are facing a serious relegation.

Never mind though.

We won't get either option, we will get Riga or someone else unqualified.
  • Options
    IA said:

Addicted said:

6 stage process

1) Create multiple accounts.

2) Have them argue with one another late at night.

3) Boost your LOL and Like count into the thousands.

4) ???

5) Profit.

6) Remember to come back to this thread to click 'Like' again.
    Well that's KM's PR strategy sorted.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Where did I stereotype foreign managers?

I clearly state that they don't need to be British, just have English football experience, as I don't think we can afford to have someone learning as they go about English football when we are facing a serious relegation.

Never mind though.

We won't get either option, we will get Riga or someone else unqualified.
    Sorry misread your post. And agree with your second point.
    Addicted said:

Agree with this to an extent but again I'm not convinced that experience of English football is necessarily that important. If they are good enough I don't care where they come from or what experience they have had. The problem is a lot of the players and managers brought in haven't been good enough.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

With regards to the "we need a manager with Championship experience" I disagree. I'm not saying that if the opportunity came up to get someone who has experience it should be overlooked, just that it should not be top of the list of priorities. A good manager outweighs Championship experience easily imo. You just have to look at the club's doing well recently and their managers.

Karanka - 1st managerial job
    Clement - 1st managerial job
    Carvalhal - 1st job in England
    Rowett- 2nd season in Championship

Even looking back at last year with Neal and the committee at Watford. I'd rather take a coach from abroad with a good reputation than someone who has been around the 2nd and 3rd tiers for years e.g. Holloway, Warnock, Mowbray.

This isn't an I agree with what Roland is doing post, just a I disagree with some of the demands coming from some fans.

Excellent Post
    And sticking my neck think we will be adding Nathan Jones to that list.

Others like Gareth Ainsworth and Justin Edinburgh I would be happy if the board took time to consider them.
    Gareth Ainsworth wouldn't be a bad shout... Hell even what Michael Appleton is achieving at Oxford would make me consider him as the next Charlton Manager, he's just not had the best of loyalty record which says no at the moment.
  • Options
    That is true, the real failure is in recruitment of players and forcing too many youngsters into the first team when they are just not ready yet at this level.

Sadly that is not going to change whilst RD is here, just like the head coach hiring policy.

If we had a more traditional owner and were sitting comfortable in mid-table then I would agree with you Colthe3rd as I don't think it matters where a manager comes from and I would much rather see someone new from abroad then someone from the merry go round of management failure but this is a disaster of a situation right now.

I just think we need someone who would take us back to basics, knows what is needed to drag ourselves above that line by the time 46 games are played as we simply can't afford to be relegated this time, it will set us back as a club for a generation.
  • Options
    Heard from a friend that Riga will be there tonight, but not controlling the team. Look out for a picture in the stands.
  • Options

Heard from a friend that Riga will be there tonight, but not controlling the team. Look out for a picture in the stands.

Ah so that's the reason why Fox was on the Supporters coach, to free up a seat for our saviour :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Well he has to be better than Fraye but I guess we would all like somebody with experience Gary Monk for example but we are not getting that so if Riga is hobson's choice so be it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options

So if every manager was better than the last, isn't Riga only a quarter as good as Fraye? Will he only win 1 game then?

Your seeing it all wrong ?

Riga is now 4 times better than he was before :smile:
  • Options
    If we do end up with Riga I hope it's on a longer term contract than just until the end of the season. Stability is what we need right now.
  • Options
    Karel is getting worried...

• Options

Let's hope he doesn't get any ideas from Karel's 4-1-5 formations when we go a goal down
  • Options

Riga is 100% back.
    Do like him BUT to me having him back just shows total and utter contempt for the fans again.The next appointment after Riga will be interesting.

Bob Peeters?
  • Options

I'd love for them to offer it to Euell but him being one of us, tells them to poke it.

The blokes proved with the u21 that's he's a talented coach, don't let them ruin your career before it's started Jason!

Very true, he could be a future manager but for his sake I hope it's not under this regime.
    And to be fair, we don't know who does what between Fraeye, Euell and the other bloke in terms of formations and factics. And while Euell did a good job with the U21s, they're continuing very nicely in his absence, the top job would be a step too far for him at this stage, we need experience
    I thought Jason was still overseeing the under 21's?
  • Options
    One British manager with Championship experience who is not employed in England currently who hasnt been mentioned.......Mark Warburton.
  • Options

One British manager with Championship experience who is not employed in England currently who hasnt been mentioned.......Mark Warburton.

Rejected Brentford owners transfer policy.... would be amazed if he accepted ours.
  • Options

Let's hope he doesn't get any ideas from Karel's 4-1-5 formations when we go a goal down
    Be fair to Carol. It's a much more balanced 2-2-6 formation.