Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Airman tweeting Roly maybe backing down!!!

Comments

• I really can't see that RD decided against this guy, but this guy ( that nobody has ever heard of, unless you played in the Indoor Canadian league) was sensible enough not to want the Charlton job. There are a lot of cynical people where I sit, saying that RD either wants us to go up or go down - as he could make money both ways. If we go up we will get the treasures of the premiership. If we go down , the support will be reduce, the ground will then be too big for us, so he could sell it for a fortune and then rebuild another smaller one near the O2 and the likes of Mr Murray could also get his money back.
    I really don't want to believe these people but when you see the type of managers that we employ or try to employ it does make you think.
  • A club with no ambition, that's going to be a hard one to sell. Can't wait for who wants to take this job
  • Redrobo said:

Rob62 said:

I think it could be Katrien convincing Roland not to appoint the Serbian. She will know that it'd basically be the final straw for the supporters, and for some of the players too.

Mr Murray I would have thought.
    Could have been the players!
  • I've no evidence or inside knowledge, but my gut feel says that some of the senior pros (Jackson, Diarra, Hendo, backed up by newer arrivals such as Johnson) might have tipped the balance. When the Ujpest guy was being touted, I seriously questioned how well this might go down with the players, and while we know that players will often put up & shut up, they are human beings and will surely have had enough of the situation. Tuesday won't have been enjoyable for any of them - and don't think for one minute that a good pay cheque would compensate (I was at my most miserable at my peak earning point in my own job).

RD & KM can hide from supporters and ignore our vitriol, but you can't do that with the players. I sense that at some point reality has set in that a Brit appointment is the only way forward. Whether RD or our Serbian friend made the final call is possibly irrelevant - the underlying factor is a realisation that it really wouldn't work.

Also, I don't see much upside for RD from relegation - the 'sell The Valley & downsize' option would be a huge and time-consuming gamble, and with a Labour mayor a good possibility he wouldn't be counting on too many favours politically.
  • The only person at that club who knows what it takes to succeed as part of the coaching team is Keith Peacock. He should be at the interviews.
  • LoOkOuT said:

Pure speculation, but Ujpest are doing well under Vinny (whatever his name is) and I wonder whether Duchatalet Jr. brought him into the office and showed him a bit of the supporter reaction to him and our distain for Karel, before asking whether he wouldn't rather stay in place. Then broke the news to daddy dearest.

That would fit the Hungarian version.

I dont' think the "KM persuaded RD" line is remotely possible. If that were the case, it would never have got out that he was a candidate in the first place. They are not stupid, even if they don't know enough about football. Roderick's wife is COO of Ujpest, is also Belgian, about the same age as KM, and they are connections on LinkedIn. Don't tell me they didn't discuss this before Nobby had his meeting with Roderick.

We are doing a great job, and we can influence them, but I think it's smart not to over-estimate what we are achieving unless the evidence is cast-iron, otherwise at some point we will look a bit silly and maybe a bit of support.

Ms Meire has admitted herself that she never wins an argument with M. Duchatelet. I can't see that changing just because she is having a panic attack over the new manager. Although, I think its a good think we are reducing her to a state of panic!
  • The only person at that club who knows what it takes to succeed as part of the coaching team is Keith Peacock. He should be at the interviews.

I'm sure I heard from BBC Radio London they have an appointed board to make the decision - so not just RD alone
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder what Fraeye would have said, if asked, about who should replace him.

I think that even he knew that someone better equipped than him/ Mr Ujpest needed to come in.
    Bubble said:

The only person at that club who knows what it takes to succeed as part of the coaching team is Keith Peacock. He should be at the interviews.

I'm sure I heard from BBC Radio London they have an appointed board to make the decision - so not just RD alone
    Might be true, yet we know that ultimately, Roly get what Roly wants. It's his club, he can do what the hell he likes. He might be prepared to give a bit, but if he doesn't like someone, they aren't gonna get the job.
  • Bubble said:

The only person at that club who knows what it takes to succeed as part of the coaching team is Keith Peacock. He should be at the interviews.

That is correct, in the Rick interview on BBC Radio London last night, he said he had heard a board would now be conducting the interviews as against KM herself.
    If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, who would be on this board?
  • Bubble said:

That is correct, in the Rick interview on BBC Radio London last night, he said he had heard a board would now be conducting the interviews as against KM herself.
    If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, who would be on this board?
    RD, KM, RM and KF - The Dream Team!!
  • edited January 2016

I really can't see that RD decided against this guy, but this guy ( that nobody has ever heard of, unless you played in the Indoor Canadian league) was sensible enough not to want the Charlton job. There are a lot of cynical people where I sit, saying that RD either wants us to go up or go down - as he could make money both ways. If we go up we will get the treasures of the premiership. If we go down , the support will be reduce, the ground will then be too big for us, so he could sell it for a fortune and then rebuild another smaller one near the O2 and the likes of Mr Murray could also get his money back.
    I really don't want to believe these people but when you see the type of managers that we employ or try to employ it does make you think.

There is no "fortune" to be made selling The Valley for redevelopment, relative to the club's debts. While it could generate some money and it's not impossible to see him offsetting some losses by trying to play at Millwall, for example, conversion costs and land values don't make it sensible for him to build a replacement stadium - of any size.

Murray is "only" owed £2.5m or thereabouts at this stage and chasing that debt is not his main motivation, IMO. The other ex-directors have no immediate leverage but they would get their money on sale of The Valley, which collectively is half the likely value realised.
  • I've no evidence or inside knowledge, but my gut feel says that some of the senior pros (Jackson, Diarra, Hendo, backed up by newer arrivals such as Johnson) might have tipped the balance. When the Ujpest guy was being touted, I seriously questioned how well this might go down with the players, and while we know that players will often put up & shut up, they are human beings and will surely have had enough of the situation. Tuesday won't have been enjoyable for any of them - and don't think for one minute that a good pay cheque would compensate (I was at my most miserable at my peak earning point in my own job).

RD & KM can hide from supporters and ignore our vitriol, but you can't do that with the players. I sense that at some point reality has set in that a Brit appointment is the only way forward. Whether RD or our Serbian friend made the final call is possibly irrelevant - the underlying factor is a realisation that it really wouldn't work.

Also, I don't see much upside for RD from relegation - the 'sell The Valley & downsize' option would be a huge and time-consuming gamble, and with a Labour mayor a good possibility he wouldn't be counting on too many favours politically.

Totally agree – player power plus R.M. K.M. must have been aware the appointment of the Serbian would have provoked a near riot outside the Valley at the next home game.
    Quite how long the beleaguered K.M. can survive the recent debacle is anyone’s guess
  • He's not going to sell the stadium. Let's be sensible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is the board of selectors an interim board or here for the season ? I just can't keep up anymore.

They're a bit like a lifeboat crew, on permanent standby :wink:
  • It shows what a shit situation we are in that Jackson is playing let alone being considered as Manager, nothing against him been absolute quality for us, but his legs are gone, most shocking part of interview with Henderson was he said the team on Tuesday bar Cousins was our strongest, this included Johnson and Jackson, neither has 30 yards in them.

I don't think Hendo was thinking straight because he didn't mention Diarra, Bauer or Lookman....all of whom would walk into our strongest XI.
  • Simonsen said:

It shows what a shit situation we are in that Jackson is playing let alone being considered as Manager, nothing against him been absolute quality for us, but his legs are gone, most shocking part of interview with Henderson was he said the team on Tuesday bar Cousins was our strongest, this included Johnson and Jackson, neither has 30 yards in them.

I don't think Hendo was thinking straight because he didn't mention Diarra, Bauer or Lookman....all of whom would walk into our strongest XI.
    Walk being the important word here..as those three would be hobbling.
  • Not a chance imo that the players have personally gone against RD and said "get a British manager or else"

For people saying JJ as club captain may have said enough is enough etc., do you think Rooney has a say in who should be ManUre manager? Or Jordan Henderson at Liverpool?
  • seems not then !!
  • That lasted long!
  • How many candidates did KM speed interview this time?
  • Why are so many of you saying it's too late ? We are only one win behind. Although I would not particularly want Warnock, he would have us moving out of trouble without a doubt, his record proves that. Sadly, I suspect that we are going to see another network unsuitable coach to dig us into a bigger hole.
  • Must have been lost in translation. What they meant was 'going backwards'
  • Not Roly backing down so much as rapidly reversing up the path in the devoutly insane belief that the journey will be different than last time. Sacré Bleu, zut alors! C'est tout foutu!