Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***Jose Riga... New Charlton Manager (again)***

Comments

• As RD only recycles people within his network, there were only ever three candidates - Riga, Big Bob or Luzon.
  • McBobbin said:

Not a disaster but bloody ridiculous nonetheless

But actually look at his track record overall. Aside from him knowing the club, and being in debt to Roland, is he really the best we could get?
  • Enjoyed Wim De Corte's reign as interim. Cracking.

That means this week alone, with Wim and the Serb, we have had two likely managers with 100% records. Tough for Riga to follow.
  • Mackle said:

Why is it always the Marriott?

Offers views of Gravel Hill and the A2 ;)
  • Glad he is back and as much as we are against RD KM & RM at the moment we need to get behind Riga and the team
  • We have always got behind the team and will continue to. I will not be getting behind anyone else connected with the current regime, however. Sorry Jose.
  • As ridiculous as it all is I am happy with the appointment. Who better to keep us up than someone who has already done it once? He is also a very likeable guy, good luck Jose!

Notice how when we had a totally incapable coach, the protests picked up the most steam and publicity? Hence why they've played it safe with one a fans, such as yourself, will really like again. Don't fall into traps, wish him luck and hope we stay up for all you like; but don't be happy with this appointment, it's not happened because RD wants to it's happened because he's been pressured into feeling he has to.
    Isn't that the point of the protests?
  • In these times of unrelenting sorrow we have to look at the upsides:

Riga is a capable manager, with our respect. A good appointment at this moment in time.

The second thing we can take from this is we're not as powerless as some people like to frequently remind us. Let's hope this embarassing U-turn for the board is a watershed moment. Not in the sense that the board will change their ways. In the sense that the protests will eventually rid us of the dear leader and his cronies for good.
  • As ridiculous as it all is I am happy with the appointment. Who better to keep us up than someone who has already done it once? He is also a very likeable guy, good luck Jose!

Notice how when we had a totally incapable coach, the protests picked up the most steam and publicity? Hence why they've played it safe with one a fans, such as yourself, will really like again. Don't fall into traps, wish him luck and hope we stay up for all you like; but don't be happy with this appointment, it's not happened because RD wants to it's happened because he's been pressured into feeling he has to.
    There's nothing contradictory about being happy with the appointment, but also seeing the appointment process as yet more reason to want the regime out.
  • Sponsored links:

• With the Belgians in charge I think this is the best we could have got,I am happy he is back,think he will get us out of the poo
  • Happy with this as this is a large part of the problem but not the biggest. He gets my full support on matchday and the regime get my protest outside on matchday.
  • Welcome back Jose. No-one can deny we're a complete shambles but we know Jose can organise a team and knowing the club is an advantage when we need someone to hit the ground running. We need points and soon. Tough ask to start against Hull though.
  • Unless they promoted from within Riga was the only option, no one in their right mind would touch this club as a Mgr unless you understand RD not his philosophy but the man, Riga is a good man a good Mgr before for us and someone who I believe will want to do his best for us the fans as he appeared to respect t and appreciate us as fans, who treated him with trust respect and in large amounts adulation,

It makes sense to appoint him on that basis alone, it gives a better chance of survival and that's got to be a good thing surely

Absolutely this
  • PL54 said:

Sage said:

PL54 said:

Sage said:

IA said:

Oakster said:

That great end of season run ironically started with a win at Huddersfield, 5 wins and 3 draws from the last 8 games - highlight was the 6-0 win at Barnsley.

First win under Riga was at home against Bournemouth (injury time goal from Dervite).

The 6-0 against Barnsley was the previous season under Powell. Riga lost 2-1 at home to Barnsley.
    And much of the credit must go to Sion Thomas, a sports psychologist, who is also my lecturer at Uni.

He was brought in by Powell and the backroom staff to try to change the mentality as they pushed for play offs at the end of the season.

Very good at what he does, even if he is my psychology lecturer.

-

Happy about Riga in comparison to what this lot could've brang in, but just shows how ridiculous this club is.

Support the team, not the regime.
    Uni

Brang
    Not studying English at Uni. Also have dyslexia so you can keep your pathetic comments to yourself.
    Dyslexia affects the written word / spelling doesn't it ? Or at least it does for my brother.

Brang isn't brought spelt wrongly.
    You're more or less a benign troll in these parts. To be honest I think laughing at people's posts where they explain their disability to you is a little bit beneath you. Stop being silly.
    No, you stop being silly.
  • I thought it was Chris Powell's turn next.
  • I thought it was Chris Powell's turn next.

He's busy
  • So, having skimmed through 12 pages I take it a few people are upset. I remember Jose getting Callum playing like a world beater. That gives me a little bit of hope. I personally feel a lot better than just before the 44th minute of Tues night when my stomach was starting to churn at the John Smith's. I was watching absolute tripe. I think back to an equally cold night the March before at Forest when we battled out a win with Reza scoring and playing quite well. I live in hope, though still angry at the lack of effort by Roly and his crew.
  • Sponsored links:

• mogodon said:

McBobbin said:

Not a disaster but bloody ridiculous nonetheless

But actually look at his track record overall. Aside from him knowing the club, and being in debt to Roland, is he really the best we could get?
    Of course he isn't. But he is probably the best Roly will give us.
  • And what are we going to do for defenders, midfielders and strikers as all of these positions seem to need strengthening?
  • At the end of the day, it is not whether we support him, but will the players. I believe we have the players to do better than we have, but they need to have confidence in the head coach, which clearly wasn't working with GL or KF. If they are behind Riga and no doubt JJ has discussed him with the players who did not know him, then we could start improving, if they think he is another RD stooge, at least we may start the season in Division one with him.
  • I wonder if he will ask for Watt back? THAT would indicate something.
  • edited January 2016

The magical glory days of staving off relegation from the second tier.

We are truly spoilt by these belgians. What a time to be alive as a Charlton supporter.

I can't recall the last day that passed when I didn't watch the highlights dvd of that memorable period.
  • He was treated appallingly before. Hopefully he will ignore the back room idiots and work well with the players to get us out of this mess. Jacko was his captain before so that bodes well. He also got Cousins and Poyet ticking.
  • edited January 2016
  • I wonder if he will ask for Watt back? THAT would indicate something.

RD says he wants to sell players to raise £2m, if he gets that for Watt, job done, where else could he get that money?
  • I don't think there will be any problem with the players 'buying' into Jose's plans. Im sure they are all 100% relieved that KF has gone, after seeing that 'vine' of our dressing room before the game on Tuesday it was SO flat, quiet, miserable and SO disappointing watching 'our heroes' like that. I have never witnessed anything like that after playing and watching football for 40 odd years. Good luck Jose but you've got a very tough start..........fingers crossed eh.
    COYR.........