Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***Jose Riga... New Charlton Manager (again)***

Comments

• Agree with Rizzo seems like Hobson's choice who else would work for this nutter? I wish him luck because with the way things are with the players he's going to need it.
  • I lumped on Theo Foley, disaster. Riga was lucky last time, I think this will end in tears. Still, if things change very quickly we should support him. Wit de wew unbeaten as a manager.
  • Quite a few people referring to him as "another from the network". Last time he was - but surely he left the network when he went to Metz? Now he's just an ex-RD person? Maybe - who really knows...?
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Murray stepped in big time to prevent the Upjest manager from being appointed. Let's face it, Duchatelet has no idea of how toxic he has made our club. No British manager worth his salt would take us on, least of all for the lousy salary Roland would give him.
    I was actually hoping that Glen Hoddle would take overall charge, or Curbs of course but no chance of that happening.
    So Jose has taken the poisoned chalice. He did well last time and the players responded positively according to the write ups. But it is a harder job this time around. Much harder. I wish him well but fear we will drop this year.
    Perhaps signing a solid left back and keeping Lookman will help to change the toxic vibe. Time will tell.
  • Riga played for c15 years and has been managing for c24 years. He'll be good for us.

'They' should have given him the job a while back.
  • edited January 2016
    So a Manager from / around the network, not English and actually a pretty poor record.

Round and round we go!

If you want to know what the future holds re approach / management / transfers / sales / fan involvement then think about the last 24 months.
  • edited January 2016
    I suspect our fate has more to do with who signs between now and the end of January. Johnson and Poyet won't be enough. William's will perhaps be gone. We need a centre forward. An attacking central midfielder and someone who can play on the left side. Without those signings I think Jose will find it hard.
  • Sorry if its been posted elsewhere 2 excellent pieces by Rick (@Airmanbrown) on JR and CARD-;

http://www.votvonline.com/

After reading this, it reminded me that I read a statement today, (sorry cannot remember where), that KM tried to persuade RD to go for a British head coach and he said no.
  • Sponsored links:

• What a charade. Hopefully he can get us out of this mess but then what!
  • edited January 2016
    This may the beginning of the end for KM ... if, as some indicated last time he was here, she does not get on with JR, then he is going to go his own way ... without allowing her to control things.

The fact he now has an 18 month contract gives him (for the first time) the security he needs to get on with his job and ignore her.

Could be interesting.
  • Rob said:

What a charade. Hopefully he can get us out of this mess but then what!

One thing at a time - the priority is surviving this season.
  • edited January 2016
    Did anyone watch the Following.

Duchatelet is Joe Carroll. Just got to think which character Riga is.
  • Meet the new Boss, same as the old, but 2 (or it 3?) Boss......

But we wont get fooled again
  • IAgree said:

So a Manager from / around the network, not English and actually a pretty poor record.

Round and round we go!

If you want to know what the future holds re approach / management / transfers / sales / fan involvement then think about the last 24 months.

His record is decent apart from the Blackpool job, but he didn't even have a full squad to start the season with, so you have to write that one off.

Metz - Played 26 W10 D6 L7
    Liege Played 61 W30 D16 L15

You probably already know our own stats with Riga, the most important being that we survived relegation by 7 points and finished in 18th position.

It's fair to slag off Meire and Duchatelet, they are clueless clowns, but Riga isn't a poor manager. He might not be the best out there either, but there are plenty of British managers around with worse records that many people on here would accept. If your main objections are that he isn't English and he is one of Roly's mates, I can accept that, but I don't think it's fair to say his record is poor, because it isn't.
    You could argue that he was underachieving at Metz, a big fish in a small pond & was on a very poor run when they dumped him.
  • edited January 2016

IAgree said:

Round and round we go!

His record is decent apart from the Blackpool job, but he didn't even have a full squad to start the season with, so you have to write that one off.

You probably already know our own stats with Riga, the most important being that we survived relegation by 7 points and finished in 18th position.

It's fair to slag off Meire and Duchatelet, they are clueless clowns, but Riga isn't a poor manager. He might not be the best out there either, but there are plenty of British managers around with worse records that many people on here would accept. If your main objections are that he isn't English and he is one of Roly's mates, I can accept that, but I don't think it's fair to say his record is poor, because it isn't.
    Perhaps you are right however I think that his ability is still to be proven. However I do hope that he does reproduce his previous Charlton form and without doubt he is the best of the network bunch. I am just very disappointed that at such a crucial time the job has been allocated, once again, upon the basis of RD's underwhelming network manager-go- round as opposed to who the best available Manager is.

Add in the debacle of the five managers and I am afraid that my enthusiasm is too challenged to jump up and down. To me this appt, and its farce-like prelude, just confirm that RD has learned nothing and that, fundamentally nothing has changed.

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2016
    Oakster said:

IAgree said:

Round and round we go!

You could argue that he was underachieving at Metz, a big fish in a small pond & was on a very poor run when they dumped him.
    All managers have bad runs. If we hold that against them (and any sackings they might have had) we'd never employ another one. Overall he had a 43% win rate at Metz, he wasn't doing badly.
  • lets get behind the team not the people that own the club because we dont want to go down
  • Happy about Riga in comparison to what this lot could've brang in, but just shows how ridiculous this club is.

Support the team, not the regime.

Uni

Brang

Not studying English at Uni. Also have dyslexia so you can keep your pathetic comments to yourself.

Dyslexia affects the written word / spelling doesn't it ? Or at least it does for my brother.

Brang isn't brought spelt wrongly.

@PL54- I've flagged you.
    Sage said:

PL54 said:

Sage said:

PL54 said:

Sage said:

IA said:

Oakster said:

That great end of season run ironically started with a win at Huddersfield, 5 wins and 3 draws from the last 8 games - highlight was the 6-0 win at Barnsley.

First win under Riga was at home against Bournemouth (injury time goal from Dervite).

The 6-0 against Barnsley was the previous season under Powell. Riga lost 2-1 at home to Barnsley.
    And much of the credit must go to Sion Thomas, a sports psychologist, who is also my lecturer at Uni.

He was brought in by Powell and the backroom staff to try to change the mentality as they pushed for play offs at the end of the season.

Very good at what he does, even if he is my psychology lecturer.

-

Happy about Riga in comparison to what this lot could've brang in, but just shows how ridiculous this club is.

Support the team, not the regime.
    Uni

Brang
    Not studying English at Uni. Also have dyslexia so you can keep your pathetic comments to yourself.
    Dyslexia affects the written word / spelling doesn't it ? Or at least it does for my brother.

Brang isn't brought spelt wrongly.
    Dyslexia has a much wider spectrum than people think. It can affect many different elements of how the brain works. Words, spellings, numbers, how someone see's something etc.

But making pathetic comments on my grammar on a post is needless. And with your brother having dyslexia, you shouldn't be so quick to try and correct people with what they say.

Brang is still a word, whether I used it correctly or not isn't important. I made a point which didn't need your childish response.
    @Sage good responses. I've flagged PL54 because I believe he's overstepping the mark of what's acceptable on a football forum. I do think it's a shame that some posters insist on digging fellow fans out, when unity at this moment is so important.

Good on yer - brang it on :-)
  • Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 17s17 seconds ago England, United Kingdom
    RD: “This has been a disappointing season for everyone connected with Charlton and the board take responsibility for that." #cafc

The way you take responsibility for a complete fuck up is to resign.
    He can't resign - he owns us. Like 'for better or worse!
  • He should have been given it at the of the 2013/14 season anyway.

Agreed - I nearly caught his tie!
  • PL54 said:

Why is Roland coming out with these comments... Where is Katrien?

If KM's name had appeared then you'd be asking where RD was
    One can never win these days!
  • bbob said:

Enjoyed Wim De Corte's reign as interim. Cracking.

Who was last Charlton coach with an unbeaten record? you can't knock that
    Keith Peacock I think... 2-2 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
    Well spotted! For what's worth I'm impressed.