Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***Jose Riga... New Charlton Manager (again)***

Comments

• Welcome back Jose, we missed ya!
  • This may not be a bad appointment, to be honest.

I believe that the reason that Riga wasn't kept on after his first stint was because he wouldn't play the dross that had been sent over from Liege, as he thought they weren't good enough
    (the same reason for Chris P's exit)

So, perhaps he is his own man, and not a puppet?

It's also interesting that he got an 18 month contract (he probably had them over a barrel so to speak ala R,Johnson) but Roland usually only gives short contract to 'managers'

So, perhaps Roland has decided to hire a proven manager who can make his own decisions on a longer contract than usual....
    Or he panicked (little more likely TBH)
  • edited January 2016

Ive completely lost track now. Do I need to get anyone's face tattooed on my arse ?

Get Roland's, I fear he is the one who will be hanging around longest :neutral:

Riga is by no means the best we can get, but he is probably the best we are going to get under this lot. Not just because Roland only likes his mates, if he did go outside his circles, the only managers that would show any interest are people who are desperate to get back into the game, or people who are cheap.

It's certainly a case of better the devil you know, but I was never fully convinced with Riga last time. I always had these feeling that over the long term, he wouldn't be up to it. Well he has an 18 month contract this time, we might get a chance to test my theory.

• It's also interesting that he got an 18 month contract (he probably had them over a barrel so to speak ala R,Johnson) but Roland usually only gives short contract to 'managers'

So, perhaps Roland has decided to hire a proven manager who can make his own decisions on a longer contract than usual....

Or maybe he can move him on to St Trinians and swap him with the South African fella after 6 months
  • I suppose it was the closest we will ever get to a British manager under the axis of ineptitude. But Riga was sacked from his last club in December we could have had over a fortnight less of clueless Carol, no decision this lot make ever makes sense.

Protest even harder but back Jose and the players.

• It's also interesting that he got an 18 month contract (he probably had them over a barrel so to speak ala R,Johnson) but Roland usually only gives short contract to 'managers'

Or maybe he can move him on to St Trinians and swap him with the South African fella after 6 months
    True.

But let's be honest, he hasn't really got any plan has he - he's just winging it and jumping from one disaster to another

• It's just an utter mess, the stuff of comedy that, if you wrote it, it would be chucked in the bin by the production team and laughed off as totally outrageous and beyond belief.

Exactly this!!
  • edited January 2016

It's also interesting that he got an 18 month contract (he probably had them over a barrel so to speak ala R,Johnson) but Roland usually only gives short contract to 'managers'

Didn't Luzon get an 18 month deal?

I seem to remember him being sold to us as a 'long term solution'
  • Ive completely lost track now. Do I need to get anyone's face tattooed on my arse ?

get this done with all our managers of the last two years, sure someone on here can put the faces on.

• Ive completely lost track now. Do I need to get anyone's face tattooed on my arse ?

I'd stick to those pretend tattoos.

Unless you have a really big arse to fit all the Network names on
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe the worst owner in Charlton history but you can't blame Riga, he should have been kept on in the first place, anyway watch Jose turn this around! Still Roland and Katrien out though
  • Feel this is a good appointment football wise and the best we could hope for.

The regime have admitted further mistakes and I just hope since the weekend Riga has been holding out to get the appointment on his terms ie staff, autonomy and a transfer budget.

If that was the case, we have a better chance of survival. As CARD says main focus now is to remove senior management from the club and get some Charlton staff in.
  • I've said before that in my opinion it was more so the influence of Poyet's form that saw us improve as a team, more so than Riga's influence.

Will be very interesting to see what happens here this time, with once again Riga and Poyet involved.
  • So, will the regime admit that Riga was and is the only man for the job and they buggered it up big style by getting rid of him before?? Doubt it.
  • It could've been worse. Along with many, I thought he should've been kept on last time round.

Good luck Jose, you're gonna need it!
  • Sage said:

IA said:

Oakster said:

That great end of season run ironically started with a win at Huddersfield, 5 wins and 3 draws from the last 8 games - highlight was the 6-0 win at Barnsley.

First win under Riga was at home against Bournemouth (injury time goal from Dervite).

The 6-0 against Barnsley was the previous season under Powell. Riga lost 2-1 at home to Barnsley.
    And much of the credit must go to Sion Thomas, a sports psychologist, who is also my lecturer at Uni.

He was brought in by Powell and the backroom staff to try to change the mentality as they pushed for play offs at the end of the season.

Very good at what he does, even if he is my psychology lecturer.
    Must be annoying if you don't want to do something with him constantly talking you round?
  • Rizzo said:

Why is Roland coming out with these comments... Where is Katrien?

She's with Roland but she err... can't speak at the moment.
    maybe her mouth is full in that case, and it's not ladylike to talk when one's mouth is full
  • If he's the answer now why not when he applied for the job permanently ? If he manages to keep us up how long before he's shown the door again. I can't see any change in policy re player recruitment- same old merrygoround of out of their depth players.
  • Best we could hope for with Roland as owner. Decent bloke, fits in at Charlton, knows how to organise a team. Now lets get right behind him and keep Charlton in the Championship. Remember, Roland is getting on and won't be around for ever. We need to make sure that Charlton remain in at least the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yet another "network" appointment, nothing against him personally, but this is just Woland the Wascal trying to stave off the protests at the Blackburn game....SHAME ON THEM
  • 'In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king'
  • Sage said:

And much of the credit must go to Sion Thomas, a sports psychologist, who is also my lecturer at Uni.

He was brought in by Powell and the backroom staff to try to change the mentality as they pushed for play offs at the end of the season.

He's told you to say that!
  • Sage said:

IA said:

Oakster said:

That great end of season run ironically started with a win at Huddersfield, 5 wins and 3 draws from the last 8 games - highlight was the 6-0 win at Barnsley.

First win under Riga was at home against Bournemouth (injury time goal from Dervite).

The 6-0 against Barnsley was the previous season under Powell. Riga lost 2-1 at home to Barnsley.

-

Happy about Riga in comparison to what this lot could've brang in, but just shows how ridiculous this club is.

Support the team, not the regime.
    Uni

Brang
  • Best we could hope for with Roland as owner. Decent bloke, fits in at Charlton, knows how to organise a team. Now lets get right behind him and keep Charlton in the Championship. Remember, Roland is getting on and won't be around for ever. We need to make sure that Charlton remain in at least the Championship.

Sadly, with the divide and conquer tactics being used (though R Murray may tell us they are strategies) Duchatelet will be around for long enough to completely shaft the club.

Our club will not survive if we simply wait for him to expire....

Riga's back, whoop di do!!!

Make Charlton toxic for the Shareholder.

• Why is it always the Marriott? That place in Blackheath village looks more appealing, and there also must be some decent hotels right by City airport?
  • Oakster said:

Wrong season? That was Chris Powell.
    You're kidding me - I thought Powell was useless!!!!
  • I can't believe Riga is stupid enough to take the job. considering the current position and disruption going on and the way here's treated last time he was here by RD.

I'm beginning to think it's a Belguin trait to not learn from your mistakes.