Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Jose Riga... New Charlton Manager (again)***

Comments

• Options
    I like this going back in time recruitment policy. On Saturday I want to see Bolder in goal and Hales up front.
    Also, did it take longer to put our selection board in place than the actual interview process ?
  • Options

Charlton are delighted to confirm the appointment of José Riga as Head Coach on an 18-month contract. (Thus rapidly completing the recruitment process you belatedly started less than 24 hours ago)

The 58-year-old returns to The Valley having successfully steered the club away (note that Fraeye "masterminded" the same) from relegation danger at the end of the 2013/14 season. (But we didn't extend his contract for reasons never really explained other than that Peeters was meant to be good at bringing the kids thru')

He oversaw 16 Championship matches during his first stint in SE7, winning seven, draw three and accumulating 24 points to lift the Addicks from the bottom of the Championship to 18th position. (But we didn't keep him on and we didn't appoint him when he was available again when Peeters was sacked)

Only Leicester City, who went on to win the title, recorded more Championships points in the remainder of 2013/14, following Riga’s appointment in March. (No one will look at where we are now and where Leicester are now and think "God, we messed up big time", no, not at all)

Charlton owner Roland Duchâtelet said: “This has been a disappointing (disappointing is drawing when maybe we could have won, we're frustrated, angry and rebellious while staring at a financially and every other form of disastrous relegation) season for everyone connected with Charlton (so not you then Roland) and the board take responsibility for that (Dead right on that one) . Some things, like an unprecedented number of injuries, we could not have foreseen.(Yes you could because players get injured and the paper thin squad wasn't good or deep enough and most people could see that in August) But we have also made errors in recruitment, mistakes (Yes, in everyone of the 5 transfer windows since you took over) we have immediately tried to address in January. (Only these were the same quotes attributed to CEO Katrien Meire in the first draft of the Nobby Vinegar is appointed press release yesterday. So why is Roland saying it now?)

“It was also crucial we dealt with the position of the Head Coach. José did an excellent job in his short period with Charlton two seasons ago. (but we didn't keep him on) He was very popular with supporters (But we didn't keep him on) and I believe that he will get us back on track(as he had in 2014 but you didn't keep him on). There are 20 matches of the season still to play and it’s vital that we battle for every point.(There were about 33 when you sacked Luzon)

Riga guided Belgian club Standard Liege to the last 16 of the Europa League in the 2011/12 season and, earlier in his career, he won the Belgian second division with R.A.E.C. Mons for the first time in the club’s history in his first year in charge. And? All this was on his CV when you let him go

He also spent time as technical director of Cercle Sportif Vise in Belgium and worked at the Aspire Academy in Qatar. ditto

After leaving Charlton in the summer of 2014, Riga had a short spell at Blackpool before re-joining Liege for the end of the 2014/15 season. (Yes you re-employed him at Standard when he could have come back to Charlton when Peeters went)

He was appointed as Head Coach of Ligue 2 club Metz in June 2015 but left his December with them position in sixth place.
    Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-jose-riga-2900902.aspx#cswhc3GVHhi1HTjB.99

Henry superbly put .
  • Options
    I do like Jose, he comes across very well and is far from the worst appointment we could have made.
    Furthermore, it is interesting to see that RD has spoken.

OK that's all the positives out the way. Realistically we are still fucked.
    The championship evolves like no other league each and every season. Since Jose last saved us from the drop the amount of money pumped into the champ has no doubt rocketed and the quality throughout the division is arguably greater than ever. Something else worth pointing out is that the squad he inherited last time had a good solid base of steady players to support the questionable acquisitions from Belgium.That base of players paid dividends last time for Jose. Now he comes to a squad who have been battered far too many times this season, leaking goals for fun, rumored to be fighting one another in the dressing room, low on confidence with the club in a full on war against it's fans. If we thought he did a good job last time then he sure as heck has his work cut out to keep us in this league this time around .

That worst part is that this appointment shows no intent of a long term plan for the team.
    What ever happens RD can easily pay off a manager on an 18 month contract and do as he likes.
  • Options

Riga is calm and will inspire confidence. He knows his way to Sparrows Lane from The Valley and won't be phased by our predicament or working with the loony tunes on the board. I doubt fans will single him out for abuse even in a hostile Valley.

I think he is his own man and might have insisted on a budget.

For me at least he is a good choice. Those expecting someone like Pearson or Monk were always going to be disapointed.

As for Duchatelet admitting that mistakes have been made. Let's hope that he really does address that in the remaining weeks of the window.

We still need him to sell. Ramp up the protests but support Riga and the team.

Absolutely spot on IMO
  • Options
    So why didn't we keep him in the first place ... just absurd
  • Options
    Is Pinocchio still in the building?

Just asking.
  • Options
    He isn't even in the bloody country and wont be leading the team on Saturday.

Brilliant panic appointment
  • Options
    Armatige Shanks
  • Options
    Is this whole 'merry-go-round' genuinely legitimate? Why on earth would he appoint someone who he didn't 'fancy' in 2014?? Is Duchatelet the Belgian 'Blatter'!!??? It's just an utter mess, the stuff of comedy that, if you wrote it, it would be chucked in the bin by the production team and laughed off as totally outrageous and beyond belief.

I really like Belgium (the beer, chocolate, Ypres, WW1 battlefields/remembrance etc) but these idiots are really making the taste turn sour!!
  • Options

Be interested if he can pick his number 2 and 3.

Don't be daft. He'll get what he's given. More fool him for accepting it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Know we had games in hand but they still had to be won, plus I'd always prefer the points on the board
  • Options
    Good luck to Jose Riga - but this changes nothing. The pressure on Meire, Murray and Duchatelet must, and will, continue unabated.
  • Options
    If he got us playing well in a swamp, imagine what he could do on our lovely new carpet pitch!
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

tricky said:

colin1961 said:

Let's be honest the list of names linked to us was very poor ....Reading found that out as well that's why they got McDermott back ...... Got no problem with Riga.......

Hey Colin, do you know if his family are happy to move over now?
    I shall find out , he will be in the Marriott at Bexleyheath
    Remember he likes his eggs not too runny ;-)
  • Options
    We had a number of games in hand when he first took over and couldn't really fail in all honesty. Riga done what was asked of him in his last spell and with 20 games remaining this season, we'll probably replicate the form shown at the back end of 2014. Riga should've been appointed on a permanent basis at the end of the 2014 season. He wasn't. This appointment is only putting paper over the cracks.

We might have a new head coach, but the problems remain. Roll on the 23rd.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    This is the best of a shite situation if you ask me, another merry-go-round appointment, but he is the best within and if you had to choose someone within the network it'd be him surely?!
  • Options

my guess is that Riga was approached a few days ago but wanted more than RD was willing to give, be it his contract or a transfer budget. The loss of the Hungarian one left them in a panic and RD gave in to Riga.

I'm not happy with this appointment although he may save us the only real future for the club will be under new owners

so

support the team not the regime

I'm sure this is it
  • Options
    This but without the magic.
    Or intelligence.
    Or imagination.

• Options
    The protests go on ... support the team not the regime
  • Options
    Bring back Damian Matthews and Andy Hughes as first team coaches. Go go go!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That great end of season run ironically started with a win at Huddersfield, 5 wins and 3 draws from the last 8 games - highlight was the 6-0 win at Barnsley.
  • Options
    Better than Fraeye? I'd say yes
    Better than Luzon? I'd say yes
    Better than Peeters? I'd say yes
    Better than prospect of Nejbojsa Vignjevic? Yes
    Better than prospect of Chris O'Loughlin? Yes
    Better than Curbs? Definitley not
    Better than Powell? No
    Better than Pearson? No
    Better than Clarke? No

I agree I am fed up with the Regime and it has to stop as the guy is an egotistical maniac hell bent on proving his plan will work even though all evidence so far has said otherwise. But that will only stop when he sells us and eventually he will do because no owner stays forever. Continued protests will help get feelings across, but the players need to be supported as well. Ultimately I want Charlton Athletic Football Club to win games. Of the "Network" choices he is my preferred. Of a global choice definitely not.

I liked the way Riga had us playing before. It was back to basics and it worked. He had better players last time admittedly (well a much better defence on paper anyway), but the players whole attitude seemed to change. Hopefully he will be allowed to bring in some decent players of his own choosing (thought I highly doubt that). If he can get that defence sorted out then that will make a huge difference.

I'm just not as in uproar about his appointment as I would have been if Nejbojsa Vignjevic or O'Loughlin had been appointed. Doesn't mean he was my first choice or that I am doing somersaults about the appointment.
  • Options
    I would prefer riga to any of the other network losers, atleast he showed desire, improvement and the old charlton sentiment whilat here... good luck riga you have my support but RD and co can still do one and go bk to belgium
  • Options
    His managerial record, other than the Blackpool fiasco, is decent, he is 58, a mature and experienced man .. I wish him all the very best of luck and hope, hope, hope that relegation averting lightning can strike twice at the Valley
  • Options
    Let the protests continue.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

I do like Jose, he comes across very well and is far from the worst appointment we could have made.
    Furthermore, it is interesting to see that RD has spoken.

OK that's all the positives out the way. Realistically we are still fucked.
    The championship evolves like no other league each and every season. Since Jose last saved us from the drop the amount of money pumped into the champ has no doubt rocketed and the quality throughout the division is arguably greater than ever. Something else worth pointing out is that the squad he inherited last time had a good solid base of steady players to support the questionable acquisitions from Belgium.That base of players paid dividends last time for Jose. Now he comes to a squad who have been battered far too many times this season, leaking goals for fun, rumored to be fighting one another in the dressing room, low on confidence with the club in a full on war against it's fans. If we thought he did a good job last time then he sure as heck has his work cut out to keep us in this league this time around .

That worst part is that this appointment shows no intent of a long term plan for the team.
    What ever happens RD can easily pay off a manager on an 18 month contract and do as he likes.

Sorry, I meant to Like not LOL, Jarman.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Twoshatts - you are an utter Fuckwit if you think Riga can save us. Everythings changed cos you filled the side up with Euro nomarks recommended by fuck knows who. We are being royally shafted again by Twoshatts who has learnt about as much as that stupid bitch of a CEO YOU LUMPED ON US. I will not go to the protest as I will end up in prison if I do.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Think this backs up the possibility that Katrien had a hand in the U-turn on the appointment of Upjest whatshisface. Katrien loves Riga, was desperate for him to be kept on, and was gutted when Roland informed her Bob was the new manager, especially since she knew of him from Belgium and didn't like him in the slightest. So at least the relationship between our CEO and manager will be a good one.

Mirroring what others have said, I like the guy, but what happens if it doesn't work out with him? We get the Upjest manager then? Or Luzon back? It's a never ending merry go round that isn't remotely about what is best for the club. The sooner Roland pisses off the better, though I fear this whole story could drag on and on. That's why protests must continue, it must be made clear to the board that they will not win us over by appointing someone who is reasonably well liked, that the relationship is broken and that we won't stop until they leave