Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***Jose Riga... New Charlton Manager (again)***

Comments

• Sage said:

IA said:

Oakster said:

That great end of season run ironically started with a win at Huddersfield, 5 wins and 3 draws from the last 8 games - highlight was the 6-0 win at Barnsley.

First win under Riga was at home against Bournemouth (injury time goal from Dervite).

The 6-0 against Barnsley was the previous season under Powell. Riga lost 2-1 at home to Barnsley.
    And much of the credit must go to Sion Thomas, a sports psychologist, who is also my lecturer at Uni.

He was brought in by Powell and the backroom staff to try to change the mentality as they pushed for play offs at the end of the season.

Very good at what he does, even if he is my psychology lecturer.
    Must be annoying if you don't want to do something with him constantly talking you round?
    No to be fair, he is a good psychologist but never practices at work. He was brought into the club to work specifically at the training ground with the players. The Avery Hill campus is of course right next to Sparrows Lane.
  • Didn't want Riga back BUT if he keeps us up and we become more stable plus half dozen decent signings between now and the start of next season then we will become more attractive to the better British managers that understand this League.

Forget it. That's too big an "if".
  • Riga's previous streak was built on the back of Powell's toil over the previous few seasons.

Now he has to emulate that by building on what Luzon and Fraeye achieved.

• I can't do this anymore. He just keeps mugging us fans off again & again.
  • Riga shares a name with the lovely city that is the capital of Latvia .. an anagram of Latvia is A VITAL .. José old chap it is A vital job that you have on your hands here, the sanity and well being of hundreds, nay thousands of sarf eest Londoners is in your hands ((:>)

I would have preferred a Brit manager, but other than the famous foreigners, Guardiola, Maurinho et al, he's probably the best 'second division' manager available to us at this time .. and he's probably a cheapish option for le Network Duchatelet
  • Did Glen Roeder turn us down too?
  • The team under Riga that beat a good Watford side 3-1 convincingly.

Hamer
    Solly (Hughes 90)
    Fox
    Morrison
    Dervite
    Wilson
    Cousins
    Poyet
    Jackson
    Harriott (Piggott)
    Sordell (Obika)

Surely we're better equipped now to stay up?! Apologies for the optimism as I know there's not much of it right now..

Hendo > Hamer
    JBG > Wilson
    Reza/Vaz Te > Sordell

Theoretically Solly, Fox, Cousins, Poyet & Harriott should be better then they were 2 years ago.

It's a Fair point , however , I'd say the gap between Henderson and Hamer is hardly a significant one, if there is one at all.
    JBG is proving much less effective on the wing this season than last
    And reza/ vaz te and sordell is a whole argument in itself. None have really showed any real quality consistently.

Solly has been excellent of late but how well can he maintain that in a squad who have hit "the lowest points in their careers" same applies to the rest of the players mentioned.

I'd say we have enough to stay up (just) but can see it being even harder for Riga this time, especially with our Defence being so so poor.

Hamer
    Solly (Hughes 90)
    Fox
    Morrison
    Dervite
    Wilson
    Cousins
    Poyet
    Jackson
    Harriott (Piggott)
    Sordell (Obika)

Surely we're better equipped now to stay up?! Apologies for the optimism as I know there's not much of it right now..

Hendo > Hamer
    JBG > Wilson
    Reza/Vaz Te > Sordell

Theoretically Solly, Fox, Cousins, Poyet & Harriott should be better then they were 2 years ago.

It's only at CB where we are significantly worse, Morrison, Dervite and Wood were all decent at this level.

Sordell and Harriott were definitely at their best under Riga
  • Sponsored links:

• This but without the magic.
    Or intelligence.
    Or imagination.

Or mind bending chemicals
  • as someone texted me

"I wouldn't have liked to negotiate with Riga.

"So yes you weren't good enough before and yes no one else will go near the job but can we just do this for 6 months and see how it works out? Promise if we stay up we'll give you a new contract"

"errm, no. 18 months, massive pay rise on last time and double money bonus please"

"OK, that's agreed then"
  • Sage said:

PL54 said:

Sage said:

IA said:

Oakster said:

That great end of season run ironically started with a win at Huddersfield, 5 wins and 3 draws from the last 8 games - highlight was the 6-0 win at Barnsley.

First win under Riga was at home against Bournemouth (injury time goal from Dervite).

The 6-0 against Barnsley was the previous season under Powell. Riga lost 2-1 at home to Barnsley.
    And much of the credit must go to Sion Thomas, a sports psychologist, who is also my lecturer at Uni.

He was brought in by Powell and the backroom staff to try to change the mentality as they pushed for play offs at the end of the season.

-

Happy about Riga in comparison to what this lot could've brang in, but just shows how ridiculous this club is.

Support the team, not the regime.
    Uni

Brang
    Not studying English at Uni. Also have dyslexia so you can keep your pathetic comments to yourself.
    Dyslexia affects the written word / spelling doesn't it ? Or at least it does for my brother.

Brang isn't brought spelt wrongly.
  • It's now entirely down to Jose as to whether he is part of the team, and not part of the regime.

Hamer
    Solly (Hughes 90)
    Fox
    Morrison
    Dervite
    Wilson
    Cousins
    Poyet
    Jackson
    Harriott (Piggott)
    Sordell (Obika)

Hendo > Hamer
    JBG > Wilson
    Reza/Vaz Te > Sordell

It's only at CB where we are significantly worse, Morrison, Dervite and Wood were all decent at this level.

Sordell and Harriott were definitely at their best under Riga
    I think we've been worse in midfield as well - the balance has been wrong all season. JBG off form/disinterested, Jackson either injured or expected to play more games than he is capable of, Cousins has also been off form and we haven't sorted out a decent left sided player yet (apart from Lookman in a couple of games)

Hamer
    Solly (Hughes 90)
    Fox
    Morrison
    Dervite
    Wilson
    Cousins
    Poyet
    Jackson
    Harriott (Piggott)
    Sordell (Obika)

Hendo > Hamer
    JBG > Wilson
    Reza/Vaz Te > Sordell

The key word here is 'team' - that previous line up had a bit of spirit and fight in them (ie on the pitch). The current side seems unmotivated and certain members don't seem to either want to be here, or care that they are
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2016
    Support the team but Riga is the regime.

He went back to work with his mate Duchatalet in Feb 2015 and left when the club was sold.
  • as someone texted me

"I wouldn't have liked to negotiate with Riga.

"So yes you weren't good enough before and yes no one else will go near the job but can we just do this for 6 months and see how it works out? Promise if we stay up we'll give you a new contract"

"errm, no. 18 months, massive pay rise on last time and double money bonus please"

"OK, that's agreed then"

Or as I suggested 3 days ago...
    When we see Riga arrive at Huddersfield in a brand new Roller, with gorgeous supermodels alongside him, we'll understand that the delay was caused by him setting out his conditions for taking the job
  • edited January 2016
    Duchatelet is doing the minimum he thinks is required to get through the current crisis. He won't change his ideas about the network and will never appoint the kind of manager we need. He wants the fans and media off his back and cynically hopes that this appointment will help to do it. More fool you if you are taken in by him again. Whether Riga keeps us up or not is immaterial. Everything associated with this regime is poison. We must rid our club of these interlopers as quickly as possible.
  • PL54 said:

Sage said:

PL54 said:

Sage said:

IA said:

Oakster said:

-

Happy about Riga in comparison to what this lot could've brang in, but just shows how ridiculous this club is.

Uni

Brang
    Not studying English at Uni. Also have dyslexia so you can keep your pathetic comments to yourself.
    Dyslexia affects the written word / spelling doesn't it ? Or at least it does for my brother.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/brang

• Croydon said:

How little pride has he got to take yet another job under RD?

Like Actors, football head coaches/managers will take a 18 month contract for a gig ? Even if it a Comedy !
  • Oakster said:

Support the team but Riga is the regime.

He went back to work with his mate Duchatalet in Feb 2015 and left when the club was sold.

I think us customers always forget that, to professionals, it's only a job.
    Riga was out of work, he needed a job.

I don't blame him for that.
    Let's see how the players respond to him.

• micks1950 said:

PL54 said:

Sage said:

PL54 said:

Sage said:

IA said:

Oakster said:

-

Uni

Brang

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/brang

A cunning linguist
  • Get some decent players in.
  • Croydon said:

How little pride has he got to take yet another job under RD?

Like Actors, football head coaches/managers will take a 18 month contract for a gig ? Even if it a Comedy !
    Yes, it's like singers doing private gigs for billionaires, or Hollywood stars advertising pile cream in Japan, everyone has his price!