Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Stadium; our day in court

Comments

• TelMc32 said:

This will only get worse as Christmas shoppers get thrown in the mix as well!
    Is it just me, or does the fact that the stadium bodies are called by numbers, makes them seem faceless and therefore easier to hide and avoid responsibility? 'Stadium Landlords E20' and 'Stadium Operators LS185'.
    Somebody is going to have to accept they are responsible for the poor stewarding and policing and act on it because it seems that Gullivan and Brady can just abrogate all responsibility because of the contract.

LS 185 is especially interesting. The stadium operator is actually French company Vinci, who operate several other large stadia, including Stade de France as I recall. Yet this is the first operation where they go all shy and come up with a name like this. That is surprising for a private company. You expect them to proudly display their credentials and build up their brand awareness. Unfortunately being private, we cannot ask under FOI why they have done this.

Anybody happen to know?
    LS185 is simply London Stadium and the 185 refers to the number of GB Olympic & Paralympic medal winners in 2012.

http://www.vinci-concessions.com/en/what-we-do/stadiums/
    I think the original query isn't about what the name stands for, it's why does Vinci feel the need to create a sub-brand specifically for this project.
    It was, although having looked through the Vinci page @TelMc32 provided, I think there is less in it than I first thought. It seems that Vinci set up standalone stadium operating companies in each case (well they have done in Paris as well as here), and they just gave it a silly name.

• When all is said and done, given the wonderful results achieved on behalf of the public purse over the OS, it's a real shame that there are no important relegations on the horizon.

• edited October 2016

This will only get worse as Christmas shoppers get thrown in the mix as well!
    Is it just me, or does the fact that the stadium bodies are called by numbers, makes them seem faceless and therefore easier to hide and avoid responsibility? 'Stadium Landlords E20' and 'Stadium Operators LS185'.
    Somebody is going to have to accept they are responsible for the poor stewarding and policing and act on it because it seems that Gullivan and Brady can just abrogate all responsibility because of the contract.

LS 185 is especially interesting. The stadium operator is actually French company Vinci, who operate several other large stadia, including Stade de France as I recall. Yet this is the first operation where they go all shy and come up with a name like this. That is surprising for a private company. You expect them to proudly display their credentials and build up their brand awareness. Unfortunately being private, we cannot ask under FOI why they have done this.

Anybody happen to know?
    I worked as a senior manager for Vinci for a few years, albeit a different division and I left around 10 years ago. What I can tell you is at the time they were exceptionally proud of their brand and were very keen to push the fact that they are a diverse company and operate in many different sectors. I find it very strange that they would not want to put their name to this project, particularly as they operate four stadiums in France, and by getting the Olympic Stadium, it could potentially lead to more contracts of it's type in this country. It's a puzzle quite honestly, but they have re-branded the division I worked in, which also no longer carries the Vinci name.

Coincidentally, London Borough of Newham was my patch when I worked for Vinci and I was standing with one of the LBN department heads, in Stratford, when the result of the Olympic Games bid came in. There was much rejoicing as you can imagine.

I wasn't surprised to see West Ham get the Olympic Stadium gig, nor with the help offered by LBN, because they've always been very close to the club. The football brings a lot of money to an otherwise relatively poor area, which was obviously why they were keen to get the Olympics.
  • Surely it should be LS272M?
  • colthe3rd said:
    Yikes. As someone who is wary of the little balcony from our 6th floor office, I salute these kids for their nerve.

Well prepare to put your hands in your pockets for further funds to 'tighten' security. Or rather, it would seem, to actually have some security...

• colthe3rd said:
    Yikes. As someone who is wary of the little balcony from our 6th floor office, I salute these kids for their nerve.

Well prepare to put your hands in your pockets for further funds to 'tighten' security. Or rather, it would seem, to actually have some security...

Too right, someone has nicked our goal posts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whilst part of me finds West Ham's predicament of amusement, the issue was never with West Ham being at the stadium. These issues would inevitably have happened even if they'd paid the full conversion costs.

The thread's turning into an anti-West Ham one, and we're losing the focus I think.
  • So pleased that West Ham have such air tight security. Which is comforting when you think that the OS could be such a prestigious target for terrorists.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rizzo said:

https://theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/05/west-ham-karren-brady-stadium-move

"We have the best stadium – there are some great stadiums in this country but there is only one Olympic Stadium and it’s ours." - Karren Brady

Sorry, I thought it still belonged to us?

Just proves what we thought all along, as far as they are concerned it is their property.
  • Rizzo said:

"We have the best stadium – there are some great stadiums in this country but there is only one Olympic Stadium and it’s ours." - Karren Brady

Don't be silly. The deal is deliberately structured so that E20 go bust and West Ham can buy the ground cheap, having got us to pay for all the Westhamification first and ensured there's no pesky contractual obligations to any other users that would inconvenience West Ham in future.
    My thoughts exactly
  • Rizzo said:

1.Why rename it as soon as you move in then?
    2.It isn't yours.
  • If E20 go bust, wouldnt more money be realised by knocking the stadium down and selling the land for development?
    Also, if West Ham do end up with it they will have to pay the running costs in full - making them worse off than they are currently.
  • IdleHans said:

If E20 go bust, wouldnt more money be realised by knocking the stadium down and selling the land for development?
    Also, if West Ham do end up with it they will have to pay the running costs in full - making them worse off than they are currently.

Won't be able to knock it down, west ham have a 99 year lease. And it depends on the price west ham can negotiate, or already have in their contract. If over the remaining years of the lease they'd make more than the buying price than what's they'd pay in shares of being rights, catering, etc. then it could be easy to construct a scenario where west ham could buy the stadium and be better off or at least no worse off.
  • edited October 2016
    Wow, they really are cut from the same cloth are they not, Merde and Lady Brady?

Feel like banging their heads together in an attempt to induce some sort of grasp of reality...