Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reece Oxford - loan ?

Comments

• Options
    Certainly supposed to be a great talent but my understanding is that he's a player who can shield the defence. So with him, Poyet and Diarra we're certainly stocked there. Short term. Pointlessly.

Or alternatively we're bringing him in to play centre half to add competition to Bauer, Sarr, Williams, Johnson, Teixeira, Lennon and Diarra. OK, Bauer is injured and Williams will likely (hopefully) be heading back to Boro shortly but that's still a well-stocked cupboard.

Either way this would indicate that we're already giving up on one or all of Williams, Johnson and Poyet, which is insane considering we've just signed them. If you said we were going to have three holding midfielders and five centre halves available at the end of August then I'd say great, we've finally put a big enough squad together, but what we need right now is immediate impact from attacking players, not a squad padded out for the short term. Why do we always do things backwards?

On the other hand though, if we subsequently bring in a winger, a striker and a creative midfielder as well then I've got no problem with Oxford just sort of being there. Maybe he's great, maybe he consigns Naby Sarr to the reserves where he belongs. Maybe Oxford and Teixeira will be our Gomez and Ben Haim of last season. But if the signings of five defensive players, who can't all play at the same time, is held up as an example of us 'strengthening' when the window closes then it'll be classic us. And we'll go down.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

We do love a defensive midfielder. Poyet, Oxford and Diarra.

Diarra must be proper crocked then, unless he is going back in defence.

He must be replacing Williams who was the exact same position
  • Options
    I bet Poyet will be super thrilled to see Reece Oxford at Charlton. He's the one who pushed him down the pecking order at West Ham!

Another depressing signing if true. We need players who will come and fight for Charlton, not just come here to get a few games for their development.
  • Options

West Ham fan at work said he was class against Arsenal, defensive midfielder, good move yes, but is he what we need at this stage, No. We need players who can score, or create. Maybe we are going for a run of 0-0 results with our new formation of 5-5-0

agreed to a certain extent .. BUT if we can't find decent goal scorers, the next best thing is to get players in who can prevent us conceding goals .. Oxford is GOOD and potentially can score a goal or two ... he looks calm and assured.. we could have another (or better than) Coquelin on our hands for a while, depending on the length of the loan and any recall clauses .. THAT IS IF he actually turns up at CAFC
  • Options
    WSS said:

Everyone saying we need a creative player or someone who scores goals is missing the point I think.

We have conceded 27 goals in the last 11 games I think - unless we get someone in who scores or creates 3 goals every game then our problems are still in defence.

Until we stop conceding we're not going to pick up points.

During this window we have already signed 3 centre backs and a DM....is there a need for another one ??? If so do we move on Williams or Poyet
  • Options

WSS said:

Everyone saying we need a creative player or someone who scores goals is missing the point I think.

We have conceded 27 goals in the last 11 games I think - unless we get someone in who scores or creates 3 goals every game then our problems are still in defence.

During this window we have already signed 3 centre backs and a DM....is there a need for another one ??? If so do we move on Williams or Poyet
    for my money both can go .. Williams unfortunately is worse than useless and Poyet has done sweet fuck all in the games I have seen him play .. Oxford is a FAR better player than both combined
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:

I agree we need to stop the goals... Teixeira / Johnson / Williams / Poyet have all be brought in to try and stop that.

We also need someone who is going to do something with the ball in Midfield though, we can have all these Defensive minded players who can get the ball away but its just going to keep coming straight back, teams will keep getting chances and eventually will take them
  • Options
    typical of the farce at the club, bringing in a 17 year old to do a mans job. no disrespect to the kid but I feel we need experience, not raw talent.
  • Options
    I think we can forget Williams
  • Options

typical of the farce at the club, bringing in a 17 year old to do a mans job. no disrespect to the kid but I feel we need experience, not raw talent.

Disagree completely. Would you take back Joe Gomez right now?
  • Options
    Williams was only on a 28 day loan, which expires at the end of the month, so he's an irrelevance going forward
  • Options

Williams was only on a 28 day loan, which expires at the end of the month, so he's an irrelevance going forward

Pretty much an irrelevance in defence too....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

age .. I give you Norman Whiteside, Wayne Rooney, Delli Ali and a few more will come to mind I am sure .. cliché time .. IF you're good enough, you're old enough
  • Options
    Mind you, it does help Katrien achieve her unique proposition of encouraging people to come and see future Prem stars play "for" Charlton (though she managed to avoid talking about loans when in Dublin).

Fecking hate this regime!!!
  • Options
    Had 'Ozil in his back pocket' apparently..
  • Options

Disagree completely. Would you take back Joe Gomez right now?
    Nope because he's crocked ;)
  • Options
    it may work out but bringing an inexperienced kid into a struggling side, low on confidence is fraught with danger. Also, I'm amazed he didn't have better options than us. And our transfer policy? Scattergun approach. Why Williams? Can now ask why Poyet?
  • Options
    Very highly rated at West Ham. Good signing that!
  • Options

Much rather a 17 year old from a Premiership club (and has played for that club) than some unheard of pile of dross from either the network or Belgian pub league.

Oxford clearly has something about him, and I'd wager after 5 games people will be raving about him.

let's hope he is here for a few more than 5 !!!
  • Options

Much rather a 17 year old from a Premiership club (and has played for that club) than some unheard of pile of dross from either the network or Belgian pub league.

Oxford clearly has something about him, and I'd wager after 5 games people will be raving about him.

You know what I mean Lincs.
  • Options

You know what I mean Lincs.
    indeed I do .. just emphasising your point