Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell on Talksport tonight

Comments

• Options
    PL54 said:

Did he mention anything about why he was sacked at Hudds and hasn't got a job since ?

I'm sure if asked he'd have answered. But he wasn't so didn't. He was invited on specifically to talk about Charlton.
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Jdredsox said:

colin1961 said:

loved listening to it last night but it really annoys me, I honestly think if the spivs had not of run out of money Powell would have taken us places, we had such a good feeling around the place and with a couple of signings like who was being mentioned it would of really been a top 6 challenger I am sure.

I cant move on.

Yeah div one
    You know what colin, for once can you just shut the hell up?

Powell had us 9th in the championship the one season he had funding in this league. His merits and limitations have been discussed to death so I'm not going to re-hash them here.

Now look at ALL the managers your beloved Roland and Katrien have brought in, has a single one of them come close to finishing 9th?

And div one is the championship you moron. Maybe you meant LEAGUE ONE but the only people taking us in that direction are Roland and Katrien.

Powell clearly still loves this club, I want to think you do as well but you seem to be clouded by your love of everything RD and KM do.

Take off the rose tinted glasses and take a proper look at the club. Things are falling apart and the Roland personality cult you've bought into is not going to fix things. They just want to sweep the problems under the rug.

Wake up or shut up.
    He had the likes of Solly , Stephens , Kermit , Hamer for 5 months that season and we were still bottom ...?
    So let's not be taken in by the poor Powell act .. He knew Stephens and Kermit was leaving in Jan because the previous owners said they could not afford to offer them new deals the previous summer.....
    So you need to wake up , nd don't get Powell the man mixed up with Powell the manager
    the team that season was weaker than the team that got promoted out of league one. That's an undeniable fact with the likes of wagstaff, haynes etc having left on a free transfer. So we were always going to struggle, add to the fact we had something like 4 games in hand on everyone else, that's easily at least 4 or 5 points in itself that season.

I know you think you're clever by being a contrarian but you really are being the opposite now.
    Do not feed the troll!!!!!!!!
    i probably have even less to do than colin today so i really don't mind having fun by poking an idiot.
  • Options
    Cheers! I missed the beginning and fear I've missed the best bit. That's this afternoon in the office sorted!
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Shrew said:

Oakster said:

team was always going to stay up - they were good enough, strong enough

The one thing that made we wince a bit listening to the interview, if Riga hadn't of come in I think we would of gone down, the team was playing dire.
    Have you read the rest of the thread Shrew? I think it pretty much outlines very good reasons why that might be the case...
    I completely agree with you on that, but it still doesn't change my opinion that I don't think CP would of kept us up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think that's a fare enough statement for a new owner of a club, which finished the previous season just a few points off the play offs, to make.
    Onwards and upwards and all that. I'm absolutely sure there are and were better players than we had in those positions. Unfortunately we all know this didn't pan out quite the way any of us liked.

I know same about brain surgery as RD knows about football. The real difference between us is, money. People with money sometimes think they are all knowing because they have been successful in one field but fail to realise that their success in life were not all down to their own perceived level of intelligence and their skills do not transfer into others business and jobs. Its also, to my mind, a very arrogant opinion to hold. Whether they like it or not, luck, chance and whatever play a huge role in success.
    Thurman, (more than most), and other signings proves this point.

Of course there were/are better players but Solly and Yann were our best two players in the League One title winning season and the following year in the Championship. They were the last players we needed to improve on.

If the squad was strengthened in the right way they could have been part of a Championship promotion winning team. Yann of course went on to prove that at Bournemouth.
  • Options

For me, Powell's limitations might have been about being a bit too cautious in game, and I accept I could be wrong on that – it is all about opinions. But that he was an excellent manager in terms of his team building, planning and general relationship with players and fans is beyond doubt IMHO. What he did, in changing a whole team to get us promoted was exceptional and he didn’t do it with the largest budget in the division as some claim. A large part of it was done using money from the Jenkinson deal too.

The bloke is a bona fide Charlton legend and a Curbishley./Powell dream team (Director of Football/Manager) would be paradise for me. Both understand the club better than anyone.

What he said about the owner identifying our weakest players says it all really. The idiot Duchatelet could have at least tried to work out what Powell could do with a modicum of backing, instead of undermining him from the beginning. It is amazing how such a fool could be so rich, although because you are good at making money, it doesn’t mean the rest of you is up to scratch. Look at Donald Trump!

Trump is worth around $billion, so you'd think that was because he's good at making money. However, he inherited $7billion from mummy and daddy and has been bankrupt a number of times. So his one claim to an sort of success (rich businessman) is despite what he's done, not because of it.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Yes, when you have money, it is easier to make money. Although, I don't know Duchatelet's story. To be honest, I don't care. I know he knows nothing about football - that is pretty clear to all of us.
  • Options
    Fans want them, but it seems the game isn't really about the fans anymore. It has been stolen from us!
  • Options

For me, Powell's limitations might have been about being a bit too cautious in game, and I accept I could be wrong on that – it is all about opinions. But that he was an excellent manager in terms of his team building, planning and general relationship with players and fans is beyond doubt IMHO. What he did, in changing a whole team to get us promoted was exceptional and he didn’t do it with the largest budget in the division as some claim. A large part of it was done using money from the Jenkinson deal too.

The bloke is a bona fide Charlton legend and a Curbishley./Powell dream team (Director of Football/Manager) would be paradise for me. Both understand the club better than anyone.

What he said about the owner identifying our weakest players says it all really. The idiot Duchatelet could have at least tried to work out what Powell could do with a modicum of backing, instead of undermining him from the beginning. It is amazing how such a fool could be so rich, although because you are good at making money, it doesn’t mean the rest of you is up to scratch. Look at Donald Trump!

Cautious yes but he built a team to win promotion from League One and compete in the Championship. He never got the chance to build on that.

You don't play exciting attacking football in the Championship when your wingers are the likes of Green/Wagstaff, Stephens is the closest you have to a playmaker and Yann is your only higher end Championship striker.

Think what he might have done with that squad plus players like JBG, Bulot and Watt. Hopefully within a few years he might get that chance.
  • Options

There has to be a place in football for the likes of Chris Powell.
    dignity--- honesty--- integrity sorry Chris those three personality traits arnt wanted in today's game.

Did you purposefully leave out ability ?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Fantastic chat with the guys, and the Charlton talk just confirmed what we knew, but we heard it from Chris and not Alex Dyer or through a third party.
    Not sure about the we would of stayed up because we had games in hand ?
    We have been quite good had losing 3 games in a week, or 1 point from 9 at best. and that was such a weak squad as was highlighted by the United QF defeat.

As shocking as this regime is, in telling a Manager about who they should pick, when the TJ and Slater lost their cash man, CP was already on the ropes with no money left. To then have that compounded by the nonsense of Duchatelet thinking he knew more about Football than Powell, is surrealism that Samuel Beckett would've be proud of.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Ability isn't a personality trait
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016

Trump is worth around $billion, so you'd think that was because he's good at making money. However, he inherited $7billion from mummy and daddy and has been bankrupt a number of times. So his one claim to an sort of success (rich businessman) is despite what he's done, not because of it.
    not to get too sidetracked but trump structured his business dealings in such a way that when it went tits up and his businesses went bankrupt, it was some one else who picked up the tab, not him (watch the recent trump documentary on All 4 if you can). Duchatelet is doing the same by putting all the debt on charlton to staprix or him personally, with interest. It's not in duchatelet's interest to run the club down, but it is in his interest to own the club for a few years, then sell it and get his loans back with added interest. That's the real way he wants to make money, if the club becomes economically self sufficient in the medium term then that's fine, preferable, even; he's still earning interest on his loans.
  • Options
    iainment said:

PL54 said:

Did he mention anything about why he was sacked at Hudds and hasn't got a job since ?

I'm sure if asked he'd have answered. But he wasn't so didn't. He was invited on specifically to talk about Charlton.
    He said some generally good things about Huddersfield and indicated that getting the heave ho was one of those things...
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I think that's a fare enough statement for a new owner of a club, which finished the previous season just a few points off the play offs, to make.
    Onwards and upwards and all that. I'm absolutely sure there are and were better players than we had in those positions. Unfortunately we all know this didn't pan out quite the way any of us liked.

I know same about brain surgery as RD knows about football. The real difference between us is, money. People with money sometimes think they are all knowing because they have been successful in one field but fail to realise that their success in life were not all down to their own perceived level of intelligence and their skills do not transfer into others business and jobs. Its also, to my mind, a very arrogant opinion to hold. Whether they like it or not, luck, chance and whatever play a huge role in success.

Of course there were/are better players but Solly and Yann were our best two players in the League One title winning season and the following year in the Championship. They were the last players we needed to improve on.

If the squad was strengthened in the right way they could have been part of a Championship promotion winning team. Yann of course went on to prove that at Bournemouth.

This is, for me, one of the biggest "WTF"s about that whole situation.

Defensively you have to give Powell some credit - he valued the importance of a rock solid defence and that is why we had a defence that was better than our attack; we were toothless. Yann was a great player, but he's not a traditional striker - he's a skillful player who uses his physicalities to battle for the ball and supply other strikers; think of his partnership with BWP. He is not an out-and-out goalscoring striker though.

So who does Roland focus on? Our 3 best players, two key ones from our defence (Solly and Wiggins) and Kermorgant. No mention of getting in proper wingers or a decent partner for Yann - no singling out of Church, Sordell or Green? Three players of the top of my head who were around the starting 11 that season, and coincidentally, 2 of which are now in L1/L2.

I can't really believe he would've bought a football club for £20,000,000 and not had the team assessed properly prior to purchase. Then again, I can't believe that he would pick our 3 strongest players as the ones that need replacing.

Surely things couldn't have been that utterly nonsensical at the time? There's absolutely no logic to it.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    LuckyReds said:

Scoham said:

This is, for me, one of the biggest "WTF"s about that whole situation.

Defensively you have to give Powell some credit - he valued the importance of a rock solid defence and that is why we had a defence that was better than our attack; we were toothless. Yann was a great player, but he's not a traditional striker - he's a skillful player who uses his physicalities to battle for the ball and supply other strikers; think of his partnership with BWP. He is not an out-and-out goalscoring striker though.

So who does Roland focus on? Our 3 best players, two key ones from our defence (Solly and Wiggins) and Kermorgant. No mention of getting in proper wingers or a decent partner for Yann - no singling out of Church, Sordell or Green? Three players of the top of my head who were around the starting 11 that season, and coincidentally, 2 of which are now in L1/L2.

I can't really believe he would've bought a football club for £20,000,000 and not had the team assessed properly prior to purchase. Then again, I can't believe that he would pick our 3 strongest players as the ones that need replacing.

Surely things couldn't have been that utterly nonsensical at the time? There's absolutely no logic to it.
    Good point... Especially when you look at other players in the squad at the time, and who they joined...

Evina (Doncaster) .. Green (Luton) .. Sordell (Colchester) .. Obika (Swindon) .. Pritchard (Leyton Orient) .. Wood (Chesterfield) .. Wilson (Peterborough)

From the list of players that werent good enough, we made strange choices in getting rid of which ones!!
  • Options

not to get too sidetracked but trump structured his business dealings in such a way that when it went tits up and his businesses went bankrupt, it was some one else who picked up the tab, not him (watch the recent trump documentary on All 4 if you can). Duchatelet is doing the same by putting all the debt on charlton to staprix or him personally, with interest. It's not in duchatelet's interest to run the club down, but it is in his interest to own the club for a few years, then sell it and get his loans back with added interest. That's the real way he wants to make money, if the club becomes economically self sufficient in the medium term then that's fine, preferable, even; he's still earning interest on his loans.
    This is the thing that gets my goat. We constantly hear from the regime about his "investment" in the club, and it is investment, like in stocks and shares. We're part of his pension plan, he's loading debt on the club, with interest, that he will expect to be repaid by whoever takes over the shambles....

If it was me, having won the Euromillions, I'd keep Katrien on the payroll and make her work in catering outlets.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    LuckyReds said:

Because you are applying "normal" logic. But Roland is rich and eccentric and has some kind of ego-complex. It made total logical sense to him to stamp his authority on the club from the off. He's wasn't interested in Charlton whatsoever, just an available club in a desperate situation. He didn't value anything to do with the club from the off. In fact, in order to get off on the right foot, what better way than to call the manager in and tell him you're going to replace his best players with players of your own?