Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell on Talksport tonight

Comments

• Options

Good point... Especially when you look at other players in the squad at the time, and who they joined...

Evina (Doncaster) .. Green (Luton) .. Sordell (Colchester) .. Obika (Swindon) .. Pritchard (Leyton Orient) .. Wood (Chesterfield) .. Wilson (Peterborough)

From the list of players that werent good enough, we made strange choices in getting rid of which ones!!

There was more money to be made in discarding our best players.

By removing them and replacing them with network duds also meant he reduced his overall head count.
  • Options
    I have to say that Chris Powell did a great job of getting us up from League 1 and then finishing 9th the following year in The Championship but unfortunately the financial rug was pulled from under his feet hence he couldn't build the team as he would have wanted. But he remains Charlton through and through, has more integrity in a toe nail clipping than either Duchatelet or Miere and has the respect not just of us Reds but all of Football so for me his words count for a great deal. I can envisage him teaming up with Curbs back at The Valley but it would have to be AFTER RD and KM have pissed off.

And the other posters are right it is a true sign of stupidity that you believe you are always, right regardless of wealth truely intelligent people listen and learn from those who are better qualified or have more experience.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Good point... Especially when you look at other players in the squad at the time, and who they joined...

Evina (Doncaster) .. Green (Luton) .. Sordell (Colchester) .. Obika (Swindon) .. Pritchard (Leyton Orient) .. Wood (Chesterfield) .. Wilson (Peterborough)

From the list of players that werent good enough, we made strange choices in getting rid of which ones!!

By removing them and replacing them with network duds also meant he reduced his overall head count.
    Thats fair enough if the owners came out and said: I'm selling Yann Kermorgant because we need the money, but it seems he was saying: I'm selling Yann Kermorgant because he's not good enough for the League
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I have to say that Chris Powell did a great job of getting us up from League 1 and then finishing 9th the following year in The Championship but unfortunately the financial rug was pulled from under his feet hence he couldn't build the team as he would have wanted. But he remains Charlton through and through, has more integrity in a toe nail clipping than either Duchatelet or Miere and has the respect not just of us Reds but all of Football so for me his words count for a great deal. I can envisage him teaming up with Curbs back at The Valley but it would have to be AFTER RD and KM have pissed off.

And the other posters are right it is a true sign of stupidity that you believe you are always, right regardless of wealth truely intelligent people listen and learn from those who are better qualified or have more experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._season#In

People just need to look at this... How the hell do you create a competitive squad spending that amount of money (i.e. nothing), until Roland came along we were living off Free Transfers and TWO loans.

We tried keeping Ricardo Fuller but we could afford him and he went to Blackpool!!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    RedPanda said:

Agreed, he wanted to sell any players of value. No one can be that stupid & RD is certainly not stupid.

I still think we are underestimating the regime.

RD has a plan and he's sticking to it.

I am confident Fraeye's role was to identify players of value to be sold, to be replaced by Academy players & foreign tat, that could be placed in the shop window as soon as possible, to then be sold.

It's all about getting them into the shop window (first team) to be sold.

It's Watt's turn now.

• Options
    There are many ways to be stupid in my opinion and one is the refusal to listen and plough on ahead with a strategy regardless of the impact it is having. Of course that argument holds no water if it is the case that Duchatelet really couldn't give a fuck about the club or where we end up but sees it as a Euro printing press, then of course he is getting it right......depressing isn't it
  • Options

Thats fair enough if the owners came out and said: I'm selling Yann Kermorgant because we need the money, but it seems he was saying: I'm selling Yann Kermorgant because he's not good enough for the League

That is what Powell states and I of course believe him. However, RD has always had ulterior motives - like you say, if he was worried about the actual quality of player then there were many inferior to Yann, Solly, etc. The all important spreadsheets stats would have supported that.

Yann was a quick bit of profit and too old to give a reasonable contract. Piotr would have been on no more than 2k a week in the Netherlands - in RD's warped mind they swapped Yann for him, saved tens of thousands on wages and believed the Polish U21 superstar would later be worth millions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fans want them, but it seems the game isn't really about the fans anymore. It has been stolen from us!

What are they?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    MrOneLung said:

PL54 said:

There has to be a place in football for the likes of Chris Powell.
    dignity--- honesty--- integrity sorry Chris those three personality traits arnt wanted in today's game.

Did you purposefully leave out ability ?
    Do you not think winning League 1 with record points and finishing 9th in the Championship showed some ability ?
    You forgot as well we only lost two home games all season.

Colchester and Notts County were the biggest disappointments for me that season as really wanted us to stay undefeated at the Valley
  • Options
    Jdredsox said:

Your heads so far up Roland's ass that you're confusing his colon with a brain.

Can I suggest appendix rather than colon, given that it's the colon he'd be in at the time? I was going to say prostate, but that's really not that far up at all, as many of you know.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

PL54 said:

There has to be a place in football for the likes of Chris Powell.
    dignity--- honesty--- integrity sorry Chris those three personality traits arnt wanted in today's game.

Did you purposefully leave out ability ?
    Do you not think winning League 1 with record points and finishing 9th in the Championship showed some ability ?
    Just ignore the troll, it's too much effort mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@colin1961, hope you and RD/KM enjoy holding hands in the Directors box next season in front of a team of kids, journeymen, and has-beens playing in front of 2000 customers, and those watching from their flats above the paltry JS stand. Enjoy mate!

I suspect that next season Katrien will get to really understand that the 2%...is what is actually left of our support.

I look after a couple of law firms that this individual worked for. I would have given notice to close if she had ever gone anywhere near a job with actual influence!!
  • Options
    Thanks Ali! Biology was never my strong point ;)
  • Options

Powell hasn't said anything in that interview, that he hadn't said before.

However, I'm glad that he said it again.

The vast majority of fans, finally understand what is going on at Charlton.

There are only a couple of trolls, that are pro RD. Colin & PL54.

if they are not trolls, they too are like the RD/KM regime and have nothing but contempt for their follow fans. I'm ashamed of them all. Pathetic bottom feeders of the highest order.

Great post and well said.
  • Options
    @colin1961

I get things wrong sometimes, everyone does. But I could look you up some health support if you would take it?

I have to assume you are doing this on purpose and that can't be good for your health.

• Options
    He's back on the Football League Show tomorrow night
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Fans want them, but it seems the game isn't really about the fans anymore. It has been stolen from us!

What are they?
    I've heard these are the silent type too
  • Options

RedPanda said:

What are they?
    that's a damn fine pair of customers
    Dunno they look a bit weird to me....

• Options
    Not been anywhere today to listen to the interview but even without doing so i would not have CP back as manager of Charlton.

Charlton legend he may be but lets draw a line under all this sickening adulation which i believe the great man would find eternally embarassing. No doubt he will have me high fiving thin air with his side of the story tonight when i listen to it but in truth he was a limited manager and a tactically inexperienced one when with us. Maybe in 10 years time if we are still around and he is on his fifth or sixth job.

Looking forward to listening.

Once we get rid of this horrible bunch of Belgian bastards we will need a gnarled chew em up and spit em out tear em a new one manager with 25 years Championship experience not CP. We are far too nice to be a successful football club, why do you think everyone else are such bastards?