Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• edited February 2022
    Why I don't really pay attention to much boxing nowadays. Too many 'home fighter' decisions that make the sport an embarrassment. 
    Used to watch loads but don't bother now after John Ryder was robbed by the Callum Smith decision.

Just a load of shit for whoever sells more tickets.

At least wrestling admit the outcome is predetermined.

Don't understand why people keep paying for it and acting surprised/ annoyed when it keeps happening again and again and even more blatantly without any recourse.

Also read the book journeyman and it spells it out how it is. Not a level playing field and corrupt as anything.

• edited February 2022
    Catterall/Taylor .. agree with all the above, fix or incompetence there needs to be an inquiry into this fiasco .. perhaps Taylor is regarded as a better potential money spinner in future or perhaps the powers that be were afraid the Scots would wreck the arena if Taylor lost, but to be fair, most watching seemed resigned to a Taylor loss.. how many more of these ridiculously bad decisions can boxing stand before it loses all credibility ? .. next we'll have Whyte outpointing Fury 

How does this bloke keep his job with a dubious record going back years ?
    Ian John-Lewis - Weird Boxing
  • Carter said:
    Fsir play to Ben Shalom actually here he's said what I've been saying for years. The judges have got to explain how they come up with these cards, yes scoring is subjective but that isn't a silver bullet to invent victories. 

For years I'd aim most of my anger at the promoters but Ben Shalom has maybe sensibly distanced himself from Ian John Lewis's scorecard and called it out. Maybe its the judges who are working alone to protect their fees by protecting the ticket sellers. 

Its the worst kept secret in boxing that ticket sellers get decisions but fucking hell I thought the Smith v Ryder decision was the worst I'd see but British boxing, like our beloved heroes in red, always finds a way to lower the bar 

Thing is, this won't kill boxing as people will always want to watch violence however it has really pissed me off as someone who thinks he knows a bit about the sport as I've lost money, Jack Catterall won't have been earning anywhere near what Taylor was getting for this fight and mentally how does he cope with that. He boxed the perfect fight, controlled the tempo, counter punched perfectly yet was the aggressor. Yet his next fight, on paper means he is coming off a loss so boxings moronic focus on the L colum of fighters records means he has to step back, probably not in terms of opponent but in terms of money. So another expensive training camp where he is relying on generosity of sponsors and favours from mates running about selling tickets for him or more likely him doing that himself 

And I've got to say, as much as I really rate Josh Taylor and what he has achieved in his career which is phenomenal, for him to be bolshily claiming he came on strong and won the fight was really poor form, he was out-thought, looked slow and ponderous, and was resoeting to pretty dirty tactics he was lucky to get away with as much as he did 
    What sort of money do they get paid?
  • I'm no boxing expert but that result is an absolute disgrace.
    I've only ever been to one live professional boxing event (Joshua v Klitschko) which was a great night.
    After watching Catterall beat Taylor convincingly and then get robbed I don't think I'll bother going to a live event or even watching on the TV in future.
    I just feel so sorry for Catterall who has obviously, according to 100% of the watching public, been cheated out of the biggest win of his career by dodgy money men who couldn't give a shit about the integrity of the sport.   
  • If Taylor and his team and have any decency about them, they'll offer Catterall an immediate rematch. It's the least he deserves.
  • If Taylor and his team and have any decency about them, they'll offer Catterall an immediate rematch. It's the least he deserves.
    after the fight Taylor said he'll never fight at 10 stone again, he's moving up to 10.7 .. doubtful if Catterall will make the weight step up 
  • Sponsored links:

• Boom said:
    Carter said:
    Fsir play to Ben Shalom actually here he's said what I've been saying for years. The judges have got to explain how they come up with these cards, yes scoring is subjective but that isn't a silver bullet to invent victories. 

For years I'd aim most of my anger at the promoters but Ben Shalom has maybe sensibly distanced himself from Ian John Lewis's scorecard and called it out. Maybe its the judges who are working alone to protect their fees by protecting the ticket sellers. 

Its the worst kept secret in boxing that ticket sellers get decisions but fucking hell I thought the Smith v Ryder decision was the worst I'd see but British boxing, like our beloved heroes in red, always finds a way to lower the bar 

Thing is, this won't kill boxing as people will always want to watch violence however it has really pissed me off as someone who thinks he knows a bit about the sport as I've lost money, Jack Catterall won't have been earning anywhere near what Taylor was getting for this fight and mentally how does he cope with that. He boxed the perfect fight, controlled the tempo, counter punched perfectly yet was the aggressor. Yet his next fight, on paper means he is coming off a loss so boxings moronic focus on the L colum of fighters records means he has to step back, probably not in terms of opponent but in terms of money. So another expensive training camp where he is relying on generosity of sponsors and favours from mates running about selling tickets for him or more likely him doing that himself 

And I've got to say, as much as I really rate Josh Taylor and what he has achieved in his career which is phenomenal, for him to be bolshily claiming he came on strong and won the fight was really poor form, he was out-thought, looked slow and ponderous, and was resoeting to pretty dirty tactics he was lucky to get away with as much as he did 
    What sort of money do they get paid?
    All depends on the size of the event, who sanctions it etc. It isn't life changing amounts but pretty handy regular income and the bigger the show (more tickets sold) the better for everyone from a financial perspective 
    after the fight Taylor said he'll never fight at 10 stone again, he's moving up to 10.7 .. doubtful if Catterall will make the weight step up 
    Can't blame him either, he looked like shit before the fight... really gaunt around his jaw-line and eye socket. Watched it back this afternoon  what a robbery
  • After watching that, dillian Whyte does not stand a chance of getting a judges decision against tyson fury
  • After watching that, dillian Whyte does not stand a chance of getting a judges decision against tyson fury
    He doesn't, because tyson's style is all wrong for whyte... he's too big for him and his footwork is too good, he will struggle to turn it into a brawl
    Rightly so.
    He won't win a single round
    according to Fury, Whyte is there just for the money and is nothing other than a silly fat sausage  .. lol 
  • Jordan Gill  :o
  • Okolie is such a horrible boxer to watch. So one dimensional.
    according to Fury, Whyte is there just for the money and is nothing other than a silly fat sausage  .. lol 
    Says Fatty Fury… so disrespectful to all his opponents.

No idea why the public love this homophobic,
    racist, drug cheat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not not disputing his ability. My fatty comment was in reply to the post above saying he’d said the same about Whyte.

As person he leaves a lot to be desired IMO. You don’t just give up those views and behaviours.

However you do get a PR agency and make a lot more money off your ‘redemption’ 

Its just that occasionally you’ll slip and use the ‘n’ word and continue to be wholly disrespectful to all your opponents.

To be balanced his mental health story has been inspiring to many.
  • Jordan Gill  :o
    What a warrior. Superbly coached by Coldwell in that fight as well 
  • he looks like a child next to other soldiers! Wouldn't want to face him though...
  • Croydon said:

Lomachenko out there too 
    Legend.
  • edited March 2022
    Croydon said:

Given how the fight actually went, those scorecards smack of total and utter collusion. This has to be the one and only reason for these similarities:

(1) Foster & Loughlin scored all of the first 11 rounds exactly the same with one going for Taylor and the other for Catterall in the 12th
    (2) Loughlin & John-Lewis scored 11 of the 12 rounds exactly the same with the 4th round being the only difference

(1) allowed the split decision and because John-Lewis had Taylor 2 points in front going in to the final round, it only needed one of the two other judges to score the 12th in favour of Taylor for him to win. (2) prevented two of the judges from having exactly the same score for every single round. The fact that all three judges scored 10 of the 12 rounds exactly the same, once again based on what actually happened in the ring and the element of subjectivity, is absolutely bizarre.

For the above reasons, the scoring has to have been pre-planned too - it has no bearing whatsoever on what actually took place and the coincidences are too big to ignore. 

The only question that remains is whether the enquiry actually wants to get to the bottom of what took place. If the Board does find that it was a fix, it will call into question a lot of fights especially those that these judges were involved in. Does the BBBoC really want that?

• one other error on the Taylor/Catterall scorecard, the bout was for the LIGHT Welterweight title and not as is printed on the card, the Welterweight title .. little hope if the powers that be don't even know what the fight is about