Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Those scores are shocking.
  • Carter said:
    And this is the sort of at best crass incompetence and at worst outright corruption that means the Olympics will no longer allow boxing as one of its events

People like myself @nth_london_addick @bobmunro @Croydon have made it clear as what I'd call serious boxing fans we are sick to the back teeth of this sort of scoring. 

Off the top of my head over the last few years we've had Ricky Burns, Callum Smith, Lewis Ritson, Connor Benn, Campbell Hatton, Anthony Crolla all be gifted wins in fights that weren't close or difficult to score they were given wins which is not fair. 

I thought Lewis Holyfield I was going to be hard to top, but these decisions are absolute junk. Is there a better way of scoring that is less corruptible? It's bad enough when boxing isn't on free to air tv, and the biggest fights are on PPV that we then get insulted with an absolute joke of a score that everyone sees through
  • UK boxing has taken over from Germany as the home of the boxing screw job!
  • Maccn05 said:
    UK boxing has taken over from Germany as the home of the boxing screw job!
    Not sure about dodgy Judges, but remember seeing some dodgy refereeing. Remember one fight with Robin Reid where the ref looked like the king of Vulgaria from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and who turned in the most biased display I've ever seen from anyone
  • what are people's thoughts on Riakporhe / Jumah on the 26th ?

Were meant to be fighting different opponents but both pulled out injured so they are now fighting each other 
  • it was definitely crooked, but come on now...
  • CAFCsayer said:
    it was definitely crooked, but come on now...
    Might seem OTT for one fight, but if this drives a change in the what we've been seeing from British scorecards recently then it can only be a good thing. I am sceptical of whether it will come to anything.

We moan that the judges are dodgy, so we can't then moan when something is actually done about it. 
  • edited March 2022
    Carter said:
    And this is the sort of at best crass incompetence and at worst outright corruption that means the Olympics will no longer allow boxing as one of its events

People like myself @nth_london_addick @bobmunro @Croydon have made it clear as what I'd call serious boxing fans we are sick to the back teeth of this sort of scoring. 

Off the top of my head over the last few years we've had Ricky Burns, Callum Smith, Lewis Ritson, Connor Benn, Campbell Hatton, Anthony Crolla all be gifted wins in fights that weren't close or difficult to score they were given wins which is not fair. 

As scandalous as the Catterral / Taylor result was the other night ,  I’ve never seen a decision as bent as the Campbell Hatton one . He lost every single round yet still won the fight . As a casual boxing fan that did it for me . Nobody can tell me that these judges haven’t been paid off . 
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:
    it was definitely crooked, but come on now...
    Think that's just because the BBBoC are a self appointed body, so there's nobody to answer to. They govern the fighters and promoters etc. but nobody governs them and they're not accountable to anyone. 

Check out this interview Frank Warren did with IFL TV, skip to 26min or so where he discusses this:

'JOSHUA IS WELCOME' - FRANK WARREN (RAW!) - PPV, STUBHUB & CONFIRMS NO BRITISH JUDGES FOR FURY-WHYTE - YouTube
  • And onto the next one. 

Honestly boxing has to shake itself up totally, this behaviour at the top leaks its way down to amateur clubs where one coach looks to make matches fairly whilst another ummms and ahhhs before sticking their schoolboy champion in with the fair matchmakers promising but not ready, novice. 

The Olympics should be hosting boxing but if even the IOC are sick of the smell of fish around boxing then that should tell any casual all they need to know
  • An absolute farce. As Frank Warren said nothing will happen as the BBBoC are effectively investigating themselves and aren't going to hang a judge out to dry.

How they seriously write they're satisfied his "scorecard did not effect the overall result of the contest" when he was one judge of 3 in a split decision is beyond me. If he gave 2 rounds the other way then Catterall wins 113-112 and would've been champion so how the fuck can his scorecard not have affected the result?
  • Meanwhile a result from one of the Youtube fights from the same weekend has been overturned
  • Conlan has gone for the full TOWIE set of teeth I see
  • Cracking scrap between Wood and Conlan
  • Croydon said:
    Cracking scrap between Wood and Conlan
    Brilliant fight. Hope Conlan is ok…
  • If anyone has DAZN I urge you to watch a replay of this
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    If anyone has DAZN I urge you to watch a replay of this
    Really was a great back and forth fight, credit to both fighters. Atmosphere looked electric too.
  • I think Conlan might be really hurt. He wasn't `knocked' through the ropes as such. Yes he was under attack  but he just seemed to shut down with his arms/head dropping, his knees buckled and he kinda folded out through the ropes. It was like a switch was flicked and he was unconscious. Could be really bad. 
  • Thankfully Conlan has been tweeting this morning saying he’s fine and wants the rematch.

Fight of the year so far without doubt.
  • Thankfully Conlan has been tweeting this morning saying he’s fine and wants the rematch.

Fight of the year so far without doubt.
    Blimey, glad to hear that. Amazing fight though, a real war.
  • I think Conlan might be really hurt. He wasn't `knocked' through the ropes as such. Yes he was under attack  but he just seemed to shut down with his arms/head dropping, his knees buckled and he kinda folded out through the ropes. It was like a switch was flicked and he was unconscious. Could be really bad. 
    Seen a ringside video on Twatter and he was caught with a cracking right on the ropes that did the damage. Didn’t really capture that on the TV footage 

Seen a ringside video on Twatter and he was caught with a cracking right on the ropes that did the damage. Didn’t really capture that on the TV footage 

Yeah ok, fair enough. It wasn't obvious to me alright....and whatever he was hit with certainly didn't look like it was enough to knock him unconscious on his feet and then folding through the ropes. He'd been hit with much bigger shots before that one. The fact that TV weren't showing any replays of the ending tells me that they also thought he was very badly hurt, a lot more than a `conventional' knock out.

Yeah ok, fair enough. It wasn't obvious to me alright....and whatever he was hit with certainly didn't look like it was enough to knock him unconscious on his feet and then folding through the ropes. He'd been hit with much bigger shots before that one. The fact that TV weren't showing any replays of the ending tells me that they also thought he was very badly hurt, a lot more than a `conventional' knock out.
    To be fair, I thought the same, but if you watch the video above, it was quite a big shot he ate. Right on the temple too
  • I've had a good day of catching up on my favourite combat sports from last night. 

That fight was a banger, knew Conlan would come ready and Leigh Wood always turns up and leaves it in the ring. Conlan was boxing brilliant, maybe the last couple of rounds showed his limited pro experience and Leigh Wood found that 6th gear just when he needed it, easy to say he wanted it more I think he has a bit more long cardio in the tank and emptied that tank on the stoppage