Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Croydon said:
    shine166 said:
    Definitely need to see him fight/beat Joshua before he retires. 
    Only if Joshua beats Usyk (which he won't). Very little point to the fight otherwise 
      This. If Joshua is to start living up to the boxer he professes to be then he really needs to pull his finger out and give Usyk a hiding.

If he's a lot of hot air then we won't hear much about him after the Usyk fight

• edited April 2022
    Even if Joshua was good and on his A-game he'd get beat by Usyk. 

Usyk is just that good. 
  • Forget Joshua, Usyk vs Fury is the fight I want to see 
  • edited April 2022
    Went to the fight last night due to the appalling undercard didn’t get there till 8ish usual chaos at Wembley an hours q for Stella at £7.30 a pint. 

Really won’t bother with big fights at Wembley in the future. 

For the Near £100 a ticket it’s not a massively enjoyable experience 
  • Went to the fight last night due to the appalling undercard didn’t get there till 8ish usual chaos at Wembley an hours q for Stella at £7.30 a pint. 

• Went to the fight last night due to the appalling undercard didn’t get there till 8ish usual chaos at Wembley an hours q for Stella at £7.30 a pint. 

Saw that thankfully I only had the one pint In there and asked for a fresh one instead of the hundreds stacked up. 

Wembley really shouldn’t have big events the q for toilets was 10/15 mins at least- amazing how many blokes need a cubicle…..

you can no longer drink on Wembley way which is what we have done in the past a couple of cans before we go in but now due to euros heavily policed and no drinking or alcohol taken away and a possible fine. 

Saw some other stuff the bars are all card only but the staff were taking cash and pocketing it. 

Saw that thankfully I only had the one pint In there and asked for a fresh one instead of the hundreds stacked up. 

Wembley really shouldn’t have big events the q for toilets was 10/15 mins at least- amazing how many blokes need a cubicle…..

you can no longer drink on Wembley way which is what we have done in the past a couple of cans before we go in but now due to euros heavily policed and no drinking or alcohol taken away and a possible fine. 

Saw some other stuff the bars are all card only but the staff were taking cash and pocketing it. 
    Last time I was at boxing in the O2 there was a giant queue of men getting into the ladies, and I was able to walk straight into the men's for a slash. Didn't realise so many boxing fans embraced alternative genders, but it was a joyous to see. They were very jolly when they came out, so definitely found the experience validating
  • McBobbin said:
    Went to the fight last night due to the appalling undercard didn’t get there till 8ish usual chaos at Wembley an hours q for Stella at £7.30 a pint. 

Last time I was at boxing in the O2 there was a giant queue of men getting into the ladies, and I was able to walk straight into the men's for a slash. Didn't realise so many boxing fans embraced alternative genders, but it was a joyous to see. They were very jolly when they came out, so definitely found the experience validating
    They were trying to have a quiet line, powder politics when youre the only person with a bag. 
  • Croydon said:
    shine166 said:
    Definitely need to see him fight/beat Joshua before he retires. 
    Only if Joshua beats Usyk (which he won't). Very little point to the fight otherwise 
    Tbh it's more of a Lewis vs Bruno kinda vibe for me. Best of British, don't wanna look back in 20 years and wish I'd seen it. Fury wins 9/10 times for me though. 
  • Fury is so far ahead of AJ it would be embarrassing
  • Sponsored links:

• I dont think it would be embarrassing, Joshua is a better boxer than Whyte and probably Wilder although Wilder has an atrocious technique he has that equaliser of a right hand. And money talks, Usyk v Fury is big but Fury v Joshua is enormous and the heavyweight division needs enormous. The yanks have a couple of names coming up probably at the same level as Joe Joyce but much younger, assuming the younger band if British heavyweights keep on improving and fighting regularly there will be a decent heavyweight scene once the current crop call it quits. 
  • edited April 2022
    Whyte is too short and too slow for Fury. It was built up a bit too much to make money which we all fell for. Fury would be favourite against Joshua but I think it is a much closer fight. Sad if it doesn't happen.
  • I hear that Whyte lost because he was pushed over.
  • I hear that Whyte lost because he was a pushed over.

• Glad I didn't put any dosh on your tips Bob!

• I thought the Julia Roberts comment was quite funny
  • Did anyone see the Katie Taylor/Serrano fight today.

Blimey.  They weren’t holding back.
  • Did anyone see the Katie Taylor/Serrano fight today.

Blimey.  They weren’t holding back.
    Was an amazing fight. Both put on a great show and without a doubt the best womens fight I’ve seen. 

Katie’s boxing skill and more accurate punches won it in the end, but full credit to Serrano… she definitely had Katie hurt in the 5th I think it was, almost got the stoppage.

Would love to see them do 3min rounds in future, some rounds seem to pass by so quick at 2mins. 
  • 3 minute rounds and Serrano would have dropped Taylor in the 5th, and maybe even finished her
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    3 minute rounds and Serrano would have dropped Taylor in the 5th, and maybe even finished her

Quite possibly - but I still think 10 x 2 minute rounds is appropriate for women's boxing.

Both are absolutely stunning boxers. They are considering Croke Park for the rematch and I reckon they would sell the 80,000 seats in a heartbeat.
  • Croydon said:
    3 minute rounds and Serrano would have dropped Taylor in the 5th, and maybe even finished her
    It's impossible to know. If it had been a 3 minute round then it's likely that the first 2 minutes wouldn't have been so intense. You also can't possibly know if Serrano had spent all of her energy in those 2 minutes and was vulnerable herself to a counter punch.
    All ifs, buts and maybes. 
  • Croydon said:
    It's impossible to know. If it had been a 3 minute round then it's likely that the first 2 minutes wouldn't have been so intense. You also can't possibly know if Serrano had spent all of her energy in those 2 minutes and was vulnerable herself to a counter punch.
    True. Tag an additional minute onto the two last night though, and I think she would have been down. I dont think Taylor would have been able throw any sort of significant counter punch, barely looked with it in her corner after the round. 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    True. Tag an additional minute onto the two last night though, and I think she would have been down. I dont think Taylor would have been able throw any sort of significant counter punch, barely looked with it in her corner after the round. 
    She did look to be in some trouble and did well to come back in the latter rounds. 
    It must have been a really hard fight to score. I was surprised that Taylor got the verdict. 
  • Yeah the early rounds could have gone either way. Great fight 
  • Women's boxing rarely disappoints and I think that a lot of that is down to the 2 minute rounds.
  • Women's boxing rarely disappoints and I think that a lot of that is down to the 2 minute rounds.

Spot on - 2 minutes of all out action verses shadow boxing for 2 minutes and then trying to nick the round in the last minute.
  • That’s what happened in the Lennox Lewis/Tua fight.  Lennox did just enough at the end of the round to make sure he won it, which he did with ease.   Before the fight he said it was going to be “a walk in the park” which it was.
  • Taylor / Serrano was sensational but also worth worth the Shakur Stephenson fight. Tank looked excellent against the fancied Valdez… 
  • Looking forward to this one!