Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox and humble pie

Obviously there has been a massive focus on the errors of the Charlton ownership this season.

Us fans are not immune to moments of cluelessness though. Morgan Fox took a lot of stick and has showed a lot of
character by not letting it ruin him and instead has improved recently.

So, how about some credit for Morgan...

*If this goes well I might start a Karel Fraeye and humble pie thread.

Comments

• Options
    He's got George Boyd to contend with next week. This time last year Matt Ritchie took him to the cleaners in a similar situation. Let's see if he has improved from twelve months ago.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Tutt-Tutt said:

He's got George Boyd to contend with next week. This time last year Matt Ritchie took him to the cleaners in a similar situation. Let's see if he has improved from twelve months ago.

No problem, just another Charlton youth player that was not good enough
  • Options
    It's too late for Fox. The Charlton Boo boys have it in for him and there's no way back I'm afraid .
  • Options
    Fox always ends the season strongly. I think it's because under these clowns we usually finally have a settled side by the end of the season and he really benefits from the consistency in front of and next to him. You never know, if we got decent owners in he might have an entire season of strong performances
  • Options

agree about Fox, also Nick Pope took a lot of criticism earlier and he also has come good

Very true. Shows what strong characters they are.
  • Options
    Godstone said:

agree about Fox, also Nick Pope took a lot of criticism earlier and he also has come good

Very true. Shows what strong characters they are.
    Well done to both of those young lads...
    Morgan Fox is good enough....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He had a good game today but one swallow doesn't make a summer. If Manure are still interested, snatch their hands off.
  • Options
    Fox has the most appearances of any Charlton player this season...
  • Options

Fox has the most appearances of any Charlton player this season...

Why?
  • Options
    Morgan is shocking without decent cover in front of him. He does try to get forward and often his ball in is poor.

But he does get balls in and today he got one right cue gooaaallll,

Get in
  • Options
    Fox did a great bit of work last Saturday as well, a great piece of skill and excellent cross that JBG nearly scored from.

So his attacking abilities are sometimes there...
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Why do the Fox lovers have to make excuses for the lad? A good defensive player in front of him, a settled back four WTF, assess him on his ability. He's bottom Champ standard or L1, sorry but them's the facts. Will do a job for us next season, end of.
  • Options
    He has shown great character this season. His biggest problem has been inconsistcy, which is is not surprising for as young player. Expect he could do well next year in the right set up (which may be unlikely if KM has her way).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe the boooo's have what's improved him , I thought I'd read that they would ruin him , appears not
  • Options
    And there was me thinking his going on tour with Peter Frampton over the summer.
  • Options
    I wish him well at Man U next year
  • Options

And there was me thinking his going on tour with Peter Frampton over the summer.

Well I got it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

RedChaser said:

Why do the Fox lovers have to make excuses for the lad? A good defensive player in front of him, a settled back four WTF, assess him on his ability. He's bottom Champ standard or L1, sorry but them's the facts. Will do a job for us next season, end of.

It's not making excuses, it's recognising what the player needs around him to succeed. If you've got a little striker you don't play him up front on his own with no support. If you've got an experienced, slow centre half you try and pair him with a quicker one to cover against players running in behind. If your full backs bomb forward you have a holding midfielder who can cover them while they push up. Fox isn't very fast, so he benefits from a LM in front of him when he's up against a quick winger and full back. Understanding what a player needs so you can get the best out of him isn't making excuses, it's simple football tactics
    Righto, let's build the the team around Fox, I rest my case.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

It's not making excuses, it's recognising what the player needs around him to succeed. If you've got a little striker you don't play him up front on his own with no support. If you've got an experienced, slow centre half you try and pair him with a quicker one to cover against players running in behind. If your full backs bomb forward you have a holding midfielder who can cover them while they push up. Fox isn't very fast, so he benefits from a LM in front of him when he's up against a quick winger and full back. Understanding what a player needs so you can get the best out of him isn't making excuses, it's simple football tactics
    Righto, let's build the the team around Fox, I rest my case.
    Your case being what? Who builds a team around a left back? Are you feeling ok? Fox has talents, he has weaknesses. That's what happens in the Championship, League One and most of the Premiership because sadly David Alaba doesn't want to set up in SE7. With that in mind you play to your players' strengths. If you don't understand that a settled, balanced team is central to footballing success then I'm terrified. You might be our next manager.
    Look there's no need for the condescending remarks take a chill pill.

All professional footballers have to have a certain amount of ability to make the grade and fair play to the lad. Of course tactics will play a part but you shouldn't have to construct your team to accommodate a certain player's weaknesses that's all I'm trying to say. Ideally try and improve him with coaching. Building the team around him was tongue in cheek, however when I do become manager I'll recommend you as my assistant, it'll be a match made in heaven :wink: .
  • Options
    If he plays regularly more than a couple of seasons more at championship level he will have done very well and surprised me ...That's not this say a steady league one career or whenever is to be sniffed at
    Yes he has without doubt improved but let's not forget he has played more than anyone else in this one of the leakiest defences in the league
    What can't be questioned is his commitment and attitude to the cause