Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox and humble pie

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    vff said:

Morgan Fox is generally a steady left back, the problem he has had to face for most of the season lack of pace / threat / players with ability to cover runs forward / back him up at left midfield.

When there is no pace at left midfield and no threat and that player does not cover effectively then Morgan Fox was frequently over run. When he had a player with pace in front of him which meant that the opposition right back didn't have to worry so much and could get at him.

When Fox was able to concentrate on defending and not be forced to make overlapping runs as the left midfield had little threat, he was pretty solid. It also helped him having a quick player in front of him that forced the opposition right back to stay back.

Bulot was one of the reasons Charlton stayed up last year and one of the reasons Charlton are relegated this season. Duchatelet provided no effective pace on either wings, and this undermined Charlton's whole attacking threat. Duchatelet knows the price of everything and the value of nothing when it comes to football and building an effective team.

Fox will be fine in League One, if Duchatelet doesn't decide to sell him.

This. Nail on the head.
  • Options
    Are the Fox knockers the same people that were knocking Francis?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    He's had a lot to contend with this season, as have the rest of the squad, so it's not all been his fault when things have gone wrong down his side of the pitch but to me it seems he has had a concentration/decision problem at times though the experience will be invaluable if he can step his game up and I think he looks like he has the ability to do so. A season in league 1 could be the making of him for bigger and better things.
  • Options

Are the Fox knockers the same people that were knocking Francis?

Absolutely . Whatever happened to him by the way ?
  • Options
    I think declaring him a decent crosser of the ball is going a bit far. He gets forward I agree but his crosses are a bit hit and miss...one hit to about three misses.

I'm sure he'll get better at it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He isn't Championship class. Then again neither is most of the squad.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Fox cannot defend on his inside and struggles against left footed opponents cutting inside and attacking his weaker foot. Conway and Ritchie have given him a hard time in the past. It will be interesting to see if Boyd does the same. Fox quite often fails to get in a tackle on his right side as his opponent goes past him.

Mind you he's not alone at this level. Wiggins is the same. He tackles across his body with his left foot and gets himself in poor body positions. He managed to Injury himself by doing so, when Zaha cut inside him in the televised home game against the Nigel's a few years back.

In the distant past, I was sent to watch Julian Dicks, who was the same and had a really poor technique. He actually turned his back on the ball and lost sight of it, when opponents attacked him on the inside. In a League Cup Semi-final at Upton Park against Luton, Roy Wegerle kept feigning to go inside, then as Dicks turned his body sideways, changed direction to attack the space outside him. By the third or fourth occasion, Dicks was in such a mess, he grabbed him around the neck to concede a penalty.

Fox will have an easier time in League One, but needs to tuck-in more and improve his weak right side. The drop off in the qjuality of opponents Teammates will help.

Fixed it for you.

• Options

Never has been as bad as some clowns make out. Had some shockers, sure, but so has virtually every single player in this squad.

People thought THD was the answer only for him to get skinned far more frequentlh than Fox ever did.

Yes and sent off. That really helped
  • Options
    For sure, the number of 'Oh fuck off Fox that was shite' moments have decreased massively over the season which I had put some to Suk-Young but he's done well with Lookman as well.

I think he's just getting better.
  • Options
    Birmingham are in for him
  • Options
    Posted on Facebook
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He will not leave he has recently signed a new contract (Morrison), vote for him as POTY, then he will not leave (Poyet). Tell him he is useless (Francis). I am sure he knew all the abuse from the fans was just jesting. Why is it that some of our players are not appreciated until they leave and do well for another team?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Things against Morgan Fox:

1) His class as a player is open to question.

Things for Morgan Fox

1) He cost us nothing.
    2) He's one of our own.
    3) He stepped up willingly when Wiggins got injured.
    4) He has had to adapt to play with countless different players inside him and in front of him.
    5) He has tolerated dogs abuse without throwing a wobbly.
    6) He never hides.
    7) He has age on his side.

In the panoply of Charlton Athleticism, there are far more people deserved of criticism before we land on Morgan Fox.

3) is a bit lame. What would you expect him to say ?

"No thanks, I've been dreaming of my first league appearance, since I was a kid, but I'd prefer to stay in the U21's."
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Things for Morgan Fox

1) He cost us nothing.
    2) He's one of our own.
    4) He has had to adapt to play with countless different players inside him and in front of him.
    6) He never hides.

In the panoply of Charlton Athleticism, there are far more people deserved of criticism before we land on Morgan Fox.

8) he can be a real pain-in-the-ass for opposing keepers, always standing in front of them for our corners
  • Options
    Agree as well. I think Nick Pope also deserves massive credit, I for one hold my hands up as I really didn't think he would step up AND be consistent. He has probably been one of our best players since he has came back into the team. I really hope he now believes he is our number one and stays with us. He maybe the only positive to come out of this god forsaken season!
  • Options

seth plum said:

Things for Morgan Fox

1) He cost us nothing.
    2) He's one of our own.
    6) He never hides.

3) is a bit lame. What would you expect him to say ?

"No thanks, I've been dreaming of my first league appearance, since I was a kid, but I'd prefer to stay in the U21's."
    That is exactly my point. He was introduced in difficult circumstances yet those who have slated him from the start what did they expect? An instant Roberto Carlos?
  • Options
    IA said:

colin1961 said:

Birmingham City want him if we can get 750,000 for him that would be a good deal .... As we have TDH and Edwards waiting to take over

You forgot that we can also play Jackson at LB
    Jackson hated playing left back and I can't see him playing there. I think he would rather coach than be asked to do that. He also lacks the pace needed for the position.
  • Options
    IA said:

colin1961 said:

Birmingham City want him if we can get 750,000 for him that would be a good deal .... As we have TDH and Edwards waiting to take over

You forgot that we can also play Jackson at LB
    Now I know that you are a wind up merchant.