Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Baldock at Oxford looked a good player.
    Hope old Richard head is recommending these players to squirrel chops.
  • markmc68 said:

Baldock at Oxford looked a good player.
    Hope old Richard head is recommending these players to squirrel chops.

And old squirrel chops is crossing off the players that will cost money
  • Should we have a seperate thread for our players who are close to departing like Igor? When will Bauer be likely fit enough to pass a medical? Will Solly agree to be loaned out if he can't pass one? Is Fox to a big side a likelyhood? How much will we get for Lookman? Can Hendo command a fee?

I'd say anyone we can get money for will be gone, which leaves rejects like Rojo and relatively experienced kids like Lennon, Ba, KAG and Dmitrov together with 2016 academy debutants.
  • Stig said:

Stig said:

Rumours anyone ?

I heard from a very good source that Charlton is effectively a rudderless ship: no manager; incompetent CEO; disinterested owner. Nothing has been sorted out yet about the team's management for next season. But when it is, a meagre playing budget will be spent on unknown continentals, untried youths and a sprinkling of uninspiring loanee journeymen. By next January we might just have a squad capable of staving off relegation with a fair wind and the rub of the green. I'm unable to divulge my contact, but as he has a good track record I thought I'd put it out there anyway.
    Usain Bolt ?

Good guess Fanny, but actually it was this bloke:

Now that's what Millwall call a proper Charlton fan.

• Oggy Red said:

Stig said:

Stig said:

Rumours anyone ?

I heard from a very good source that Charlton is effectively a rudderless ship: no manager; incompetent CEO; disinterested owner. Nothing has been sorted out yet about the team's management for next season. But when it is, a meagre playing budget will be spent on unknown continentals, untried youths and a sprinkling of uninspiring loanee journeymen. By next January we might just have a squad capable of staving off relegation with a fair wind and the rub of the green. I'm unable to divulge my contact, but as he has a good track record I thought I'd put it out there anyway.
    Usain Bolt ?

Good guess Fanny, but actually it was this bloke:

Now that's what Millwall call a proper Charlton fan.

He's our top boy. If it all comes on top he would be first in with a witty but precise narrative on track guages, European or UK...
  • Ben18 said:

Maddison wouldn't be cheap. Peterborough's chairman MacAnthony is good at getting value for players.

He got close to £3m for Conor Washington in January.

Imagine he'd want similar if not more for Maddison.

That's the end of that one then.
    We've repeatedly paid over the odds for players since Roland took over, lack of spending on the squad has not really been the problem. The problem has been we've bought crap players for too much money and without any thought to a cohesive plan for tactic, playing style, squad balance etc.
    I agree with the second part, but Sarr and Igor aside, do we actually know what we've paid for players? I'd say Igor was quite a good bit of business at 2.5m. Sarr, at this point, is not, but I would like to see him get more of a chance. Beyond that, it's undisclosed.
  • SDAddick said:

Ben18 said:

Maddison wouldn't be cheap. Peterborough's chairman MacAnthony is good at getting value for players.

We've repeatedly paid over the odds for players since Roland took over, lack of spending on the squad has not really been the problem. The problem has been we've bought crap players for too much money and without any thought to a cohesive plan for tactic, playing style, squad balance etc.
    I agree with the second part, but Sarr and Igor aside, do we actually know what we've paid for players? I'd say Igor was quite a good bit of business at 2.5m. Sarr, at this point, is not, but I would like to see him get more of a chance. Beyond that, it's undisclosed.
    Was Sarr's fee disclosed?
  • Simonsen said:

SDAddick said:

Ben18 said:

I think it was, as others have posted believe €1,8....or something like that..
  • Simonsen said:

SDAddick said:

Ben18 said:

Unfortunately yes - so the world of football can have yet another chuckle at our expense.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think a single fee has been disclosed by Charlton. Other sources have given us rumoured fees, but none officially confirmed by Charlton I don't think.
  • I don't think a single fee has been disclosed by Charlton. Other sources have given us rumoured fees, but none officially confirmed by Charlton I don't think.

I think that's right, although it seems to be on pretty good authority that Sarr was 1.8m and Igor was around 2.5m.

It means they can babble on about how much they have invested into Charlton, when in actual fact that figure probably includes all sort of finances that they'll get back, and inflating it. Plus not to mention the fact it's just a debt to Roland to offset tax losses for his company.
  • SDAddick said:

I don't think a single fee has been disclosed by Charlton. Other sources have given us rumoured fees, but none officially confirmed by Charlton I don't think.

I think that's right, although it seems to be on pretty good authority that Sarr was 1.8m and Igor was around 2.5m.
    yes, but we don't know how much is appearance related etc etc so fees actually paid could be a lot, lot less.
  • SDAddick said:

I don't think a single fee has been disclosed by Charlton. Other sources have given us rumoured fees, but none officially confirmed by Charlton I don't think.

yes, but we don't know how much is appearance related etc etc so fees actually paid could be a lot, lot less.
    Very true, and that's often the case with transfer fees, usually a round number is thrown out but they're done in installments and based on time and appearances, etc., so on.

My original point was that Sarr and Igor aside, we don't really have any idea what has been spent on players given that everything has been undisclosed. It was in response to someone claiming "Roland has overspent on players," and I was arguing that we really don't know that. We have some insight into Igor and Sarr, although of course we don't know how reliable it is, but as far as I know we haven't even heard rumors of numbers for the likes of Kashi, Bauer, etc.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Very true, and that's often the case with transfer fees, usually a round number is thrown out but they're done in installments and based on time and appearances, etc., so on.

My original point was that Sarr and Igor aside, we don't really have any idea what has been spent on players given that everything has been undisclosed. It was in response to someone claiming "Roland has overspent on players," and I was arguing that we really don't know that. We have some insight into Igor and Sarr, although of course we don't know how reliable it is, but as far as I know we haven't even heard rumors of numbers for the likes of Kashi, Bauer, etc.
    Kashi and Bauer signed for us just under one year ago, it seems MUCH longer than that .. I know both have been long term treatment room occupiers but 28 games between them for a whole season indicates to me that whatever the fee paid for either was too much
  • SDAddick said:

Sarr maybe but I doubt Copenagen let a first team player in Vetokele go for a small fee plus several of clauses.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Well we have an idea as last November KM said they spent £9m on players.

Whatever we paid for Ba, Bergdich, Lepoint etc was too much.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Kashi and Bauer signed for us just under one year ago, it seems MUCH longer than that .. I know both have been long term treatment room occupiers but 28 games between them for a whole season indicates to me that whatever the fee paid for either was too much
    I feel like that's an inherent risk in any transfer. Injuries happen, and it's an inherent risk of the game. Whether or not their injuries could hav ebeen managed better (and I'd say that with Kashi, things were done right in trying to avoid surgery), is another story. But more so, evaluating transfers over just one year, or 28 games, isn't necessarily the best strategy. Yes, we're likely to lose both this summer, but ideally we'd be signing players for the next 2-3 years. JBG is a good example, came in, started relatively well, faded a bit, but I think he finished this year very strong. Given he was signed on a free and will presumably be sold for seven figures, it's a successful transfer.

The problem with signing young, inexperienced players, and not enough players in general, is that they're chucked in, and if they're not good enough, they're not given the opportunity to grow. I think Sarr and Ba both have the ability to be very decent players, and it might be that next year both improve drastically with a full preseason under their belts and by being used to the league. If we sold up now, then they'd absolutely both be a failure, but that might not be true in six months to a year from now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Godstone said:

Relegation could be a blessing in disguise for Sarr. He could be great in League 1 and the confidence to kick-start his career.

I would like to think ba will too. I'm stupid sometimes
  • *checks in to general chit chat thread*

*checks out again*
  • One player who might appeal is Kenwyne Jones. Now 31-years-old, the Trinadadian international would be a real handful in League One.
    http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/833308721?-11197:833:0
  • ross1 said:

One player who might appeal is Kenwyne Jones. Now 31-years-old, the Trinadadian international would be a real handful in League One.

A real pocketful too sadly
  • ross1 said:

One player who might appeal is Kenwyne Jones. Now 31-years-old, the Trinadadian international would be a real handful in League One.

At the moment, there's something very unique in the bottom left corner of that page:

"WHAT THE PRESS IS SAYING ABOUT CHARLTON...
    JOSE MOURINHO GIVEN TOUR OF MANCHESTER UNITED TRAINING BASE BY ED WOODWARD AND SIR BOBBY CHARLTON AS NEW MANAGER OUTLINES PLANS TO RESTORE CLUB AS PREMIER LEAGUE TITLE CONTENDERS
    the Mail online | Football
    (Posted on 31 May at 08:14)

FOOTBALL TRANSFER RUMOURS: ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC ON HIS WAY BACK TO MALMO?
    Guardian Unlimited Football
    (Posted on 31 May at 08:01)"

I can see how the Bobby Charlton bit got picked up, but Ibahimovic to Malmo? What's that got to do with Charlton?
  • ross1 said:

At the moment, there's something very unique in the bottom left corner of that page:

"WHAT THE PRESS IS SAYING ABOUT CHARLTON...
    JOSE MOURINHO GIVEN TOUR OF MANCHESTER UNITED TRAINING BASE BY ED WOODWARD AND SIR BOBBY CHARLTON AS NEW MANAGER OUTLINES PLANS TO RESTORE CLUB AS PREMIER LEAGUE TITLE CONTENDERS
    the Mail online | Football
    (Posted on 31 May at 08:14)

FOOTBALL TRANSFER RUMOURS: ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC ON HIS WAY BACK TO MALMO?
    Guardian Unlimited Football
    (Posted on 31 May at 08:01)"

I can see how the Bobby Charlton bit got picked up, but Ibahimovic to Malmo? What's that got to do with Charlton?
    I think we played Malmo once in a pre-season friendly.
  • edited June 2016
    Not a Charlton rumour but this could be interesting.

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers hopes to sign £3.5m England Under-21 defender Joe Gomez on loan from Liverpool. (The Sun)

Hope he stays with Liverpool and works under Klopp, reckon he'll get the game time in the Premier League (Especially with Moreno's Left-Back form) next season and reckon he'll reach his potential under Klopp better... Going to the Scottish Premier League will be like returning to the Championship and could see him disappear, i.e. how many English kids in Scotland reach the England team?
  • Not a Charlton rumour but this could be interesting.

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers hopes to sign £3.5m England Under-21 defender Joe Gomez on loan from Liverpool. (The Sun)

Hope he stays with Liverpool and works under Klopp, reckon he'll get the game time in the Premier League (Especially with Moreno's Left-Back form) next season and reckon he'll reach his potential under Klopp better... Going to the Scottish Premier League will be like returning to the Championship and could see him disappear, i.e. how many English kids in Scotland reach the England team?

Absolutely. Going to Scotland won't improve him as a player. With Skirtel looking like e is leaving, Toure being about 85 and Loveren being unconvincing, surely he is better off staying and hopefully getting in at CB - England need another CB desperately so hopefully this boy kicks on now.
  • Not a Charlton rumour but this could be interesting.

Absolutely. Going to Scotland won't improve him as a player. With Skirtel looking like e is leaving, Toure being about 85 and Loveren being unconvincing, surely he is better off staying and hopefully getting in at CB - England need another CB desperately so hopefully this boy kicks on now.
    Its more difficult for a Defender but he should just look at the impact that Marcus Rashford has had this season.

Reckon had Gomez stayed fit then he'd have been a contender for Euro 2016, if he stays at Liverpool (or anywhere in England even if its the Championship then he'll be fighting for a place in the Russia World Cup.

Going to Scotland could see him drop further down the list of Defenders... i.e. You've already got Reece Oxford as a potential player there, you've also got Ryan Holding (Bolton) who despite being someone I'm not really aware of is being tracked by Arsenal... Nor will John Stones make the same mistakes forever.

We talk about wanting our England Defenders to play out of Defence rather than simply getting rid of it and we talk about Stones to being a bit too error prone at the moment but in a few years time we could have an awesome partnership between him and Gomez for England.

Thankfully that rumour is from the Sun so is probably bullsh*t anyway...

Just a shame that we cant get Megan, 23 from Middlesex to confirm or deny the rumour with her views anymore!!