Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• You can be sure that Latrien is doing everything within her power to get deals done and over that imaginary line. She cancelled a pedicure and a "back sack n crack" this morning so she could really really concentrate on matters this morning... 28 mins

No she didn't, I still have her down for the my 12:30 slot and bot
  • So she can't even do that right. Figures...
  • Only been to one preseason game this season and that was waalwijk (spelling error).

Konsa looked very good. Definitely worth some game time In the first team. Preference would be for him to have occasional games but he may be good enough to carry full time long term injury duties at this level. Roland's perfect outcome.

Also played at RB against Orient and last Saturday
  • Swisdom said:

Can't say I'll miss Harriott if he goes. Incredibly frustrating for me because he's more of an athlete than a footballer. Just doesn't have the intelligence to put the ball into dangerous places frequently enough.
    Maybe he just needs some great coaching but I'm not convinced he'll ever really hit the heights.

Nd he has an attitude problem, thinks he is better than he actually is, he will be a league 2 player in 3 years. The only problem I have is the timing, we have 5.5 hours for a replacement in time to play at bury
    Ah the old imaginary 'attitude problem'
    Imaginary? No, witnessed it first hand. A mate played for vcd and I went to see a Kent cup match a few years bank. Harriot murdered them, scored and created a few. After 30 minutes he demanded to be substituted because he had done his job. When eventually tackled he started on the guy and questioned who he was and what has he done. Harriot had only played 2-3 first team games at this point.

I imagine that you imagine he hasn't got an attitude problem and he is in fact as good as messi
    So because he once mugged off a couple of amateur footballers - when he was what, 18? - he's got a career-damaging attitude problem. Brilliant. 9 times out of 10 whenever someone claims a player has an attitude problem it's because they've got a personal stake in it, this is no different.
    So demanding to come off after 30 minutes because he had done his job is acceptable? Mouthing off at the bench because he couldn't get his own way is acceptable is it?

That night summed harriot up in a Charlton shirt. Had ability but had his head so far up his own arse he thought he had the right to come off. I would have wanted to stay on on prove how good I was and force my way into the first team squad! So yes, I have witnessed it and do believe he has an attitude problem. Compare him to cousins, similar age but who appears to work harder? Who plays it simple, willing to learn and improve! Cousins.

Harriot has not produced the goods in a Charlton shirt to warrant a move to the championship, I believe this will feed his ego further and he will spend large chunks away from the first team and very quickly will end up in league 2
  • Ross said:

Following his trial with us, Lewis Buxton has signed for Bolton.

Glad we gave him his pre season though.
  • SDAddick said:

Nobody complained when we blooded untried youngster Joe Gomez as cover for Solly. Why not Konza?

I think HG's point has been a little too readily dismissed. I certainly take the notion that we want cover in all positions, but bringing up Gomez is an excellent point and one I was going to bring up. I don't think Gomez had played as a fullback prior to two years ago, but he did a solid job as cover there.

It's not ideal to have Konsa as our RB cover on paper, or rather our only RB cover, but at the same time he seems a talent and you do want to be giving talented players opportunities. Balancing those two things is hard for well run teams, and we're not one of those. I've not seen a lot of him, but what I've seen leads me to think he's worth keeping around the first team this year.
    The problem being is that although Konsa might be good. Gomez was exceptional. You can add to that, that being understudy to Solly has the very real possibility of requiring quite a bit of game time. We really do not need to expose Konsa to that level of pressure or scrutiny. Foley won't cost a lot and is an essential signing in my view.
  • Nobody complained when we blooded untried youngster Joe Gomez as cover for Solly. Why not Konza?

Joe Gomez was a player who had been earmarked for great things for years and years. Everyone knew how good a young player he was but even then it was a risk, and a great shock how good he actually was. So good in fact that Liverpool signed him straight away at the end of that season. Does anyone honestly think that we've got another Gomez on our hands, because I think the last time you can point to a young defender on Gomez's level it would have to be Rufus. Gomez also primarily played alternate matches midweek to avoid Solly picking up an injury. It was a good example of squad rotation and it worked well. He wasn't chucked in in a panic. Konsa should be in and around the squad an used sparingly, not as our only cover in a position he doesn't play in
    totally agree. Not sure why people are against the signing of Foley though, decent player who has lots of experience and offers useful versatility.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chris Eagles signing for Accrington Stanley
  • Nobody complained when we blooded untried youngster Joe Gomez as cover for Solly. Why not Konza?

Joe Gomez was a player who had been earmarked for great things for years and years. Everyone knew how good a young player he was but even then it was a risk, and a great shock how good he actually was. So good in fact that Liverpool signed him straight away at the end of that season. Does anyone honestly think that we've got another Gomez on our hands, because I think the last time you can point to a young defender on Gomez's level it would have to be Rufus. Gomez also primarily played alternate matches midweek to avoid Solly picking up an injury. It was a good example of squad rotation and it worked well. He wasn't chucked in in a panic. Konsa should be in and around the squad an used sparingly, not as our only cover in a position he doesn't play in
    totally agree. Not sure why people are against the signing of Foley though, decent player who has lots of experience and offers useful versatility.
    It's mystifying. We complain about a lack of squad depth and experience last season and then turn our noses up at experienced cover. He wouldn't even be signed as first choice, he'd just be there to cover a couple of positions and hopefully teach some younger players a thing or two about how to maintain a promotion charge.
    I think it's that he has looked pedestrian in central midfield in pre-season, that's he's aging, and that he hasn't played much football in the last couple years. Also, when he came in it was him and Crofts as our prospects for signings, so I don't think it's so much not wanting to sign him as it is worrying that we would only sign him

For me, I figure that given he's a former international and Premier League player that he'll be on pretty high wages that might be better spent elsewhere. If we bring him in I won't be upset. Also, between Konsa and Archie Edwards, as well as RCC having played there, do we have enough cover from the youth ranks when combined (meaning we're not just relying on one youth player)? As I mentioned above, it's really tricky balancing giving your youth players room to move into the squad versus having enough cover.
  • I heard from a few coaches a year or so ago that Konsa is as good a prospect if not better than Joe. I watched him for the first time live on Saturday and as good as he was, instantly I realised he wasnt nearly as quick as Joe so putting him in at right back isn't as straight forward as some might see it, younger players playing at full back will need a fair bit of recovery pace because they inevitably they'll get caught out a bit. Saying that we have to remember there is quite a gap between the championship and league one so wouldn't be a disaster if Konsa was Sollys understudy. I'd still sign Foley as versatility is vital.
  • I don't want to see a young CB like Konsa being made to play at RB or LB. he needs to learn to play In the middle.
  • I don't want to see a young CB like Konsa being made to play at RB or LB. he needs to learn to play In the middle.

Agree with that. Think that's damaged players in the past.
  • True but he played most of last season in central midfield for the under 21's
  • edited August 2016
    I think it is better to blood a young CB at RB where a mistake is not necessarily a goal. Didn't Rufus start there? Brownie did. Jenkinson still there even though a CB for academy. As for pace, it's like comparing British sprinters to Bolt. I'd guess Konsa is in top five of squad for speed. Probably better on the ball than Gomez who relies on acceleration to get out of trouble.
  • I think it is better to blood a young CB at RB where a mistake is not necessarily a goal. Didn't Rufus start there? Brownie did. As for pace, it's like comparing British sprinters to Bolt. I'd guess Konsa is in top five of squad for speed. Probably better on the ball than Gomez who relies on accelleration to get out of trouble.

Konsa isn't ready for regular football. That's why our experienced manager is signing cover for Solly. It's really pretty straightforward.

• Sponsored links:

• Peterborough bid of 1 million turned down by Hibs for Jason Cummings. Would be a good signing for them.
  • How the hell can Peterborough afford £1m?!

Thats their gate receipts for a year!
  • I think it is better to blood a young CB at RB where a mistake is not necessarily a goal. Didn't Rufus start there? Brownie did. As for pace, it's like comparing British sprinters to Bolt. I'd guess Konsa is in top five of squad for speed. Probably better on the ball than Gomez who relies on accelleration to get out of trouble.

Konsa isn't ready for regular football. That's why our experienced manager is signing cover for Solly. It's really pretty straightforward.

SHG have you seen him play? 18 yo players debut in Prem, many more in Champ and we are 3rd tier. He is better than Konch who started at a higher level aged 16, and many others.
  • Phillips will not be going to Cheltenham.

Goalkeeper Russell Griffiths from Everton.

The 20-year-old joins Cheltenham on loan until January 2 and could be in line to make his debut tomorrow against Leyton Orient. Russell has played for England U20s.

SHG have you seen him play? 18 yo players debut in Prem, many more in Champ and we are 3rd tier. He is better than Konch who started at a higher level aged 16, and many others.
    Well I really hope he's fantastic. In Slade I trust.

• How the hell can Peterborough afford £1m?!

Thats their gate receipts for a year!

Because they sell their best players for actual money, that goes straight back into the club.
  • Kevin Foley signing confirmed (short-term deal)
  • Is that really the midfielder that was close to joining? Depressing.
  • Good cover for Solly - both full back berths very secure.

Solly / Foley on right

Fox / Holmes-Dennis on left.

Just need 2 midfielders (one wide to replace Harriott) and a striker.

Assuming Tex goes and no more. Anyone else on top of Tex would need to be replaced.