Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Agreed Mac they would have to show a spectacular level of imcompetance reaching unscaled heights of ineptitude... oh feck!
  • I think it's fairly clear that under the financial restraints of only a certain % of income being allowed to be spent on wages Slade will be curtailed by that. So it's wages out before wages can come in. Slade's being hampered by the past as I suspect we are still paying a fair bit of Watts, Vetokele's, Nabbys etc wages and very few players signed on 3 year deals prior to last September (who can be excluded from the calf this year)

Income will be considerably down for a number of reasons this year, TV, season ticket sales/lower pricing/attendance/away support. Roly could put in money to cover that and allow Slade to bring in who he wants/needs but to do so means it has to be as equity, not loans so that's about as likely as Steve Brown taking the number 2 shirt this year.

So yes Slade may be making a stand but I suspect the above is also playing a part as to ins and outs. I suspect our wages need to be a third of last year....... Maybe less.
  • SDAddick said:

Nobody complained when we blooded untried youngster Joe Gomez as cover for Solly. Why not Konza?

Joe Gomez was a player who had been earmarked for great things for years and years. Everyone knew how good a young player he was but even then it was a risk, and a great shock how good he actually was. So good in fact that Liverpool signed him straight away at the end of that season. Does anyone honestly think that we've got another Gomez on our hands, because I think the last time you can point to a young defender on Gomez's level it would have to be Rufus. Gomez also primarily played alternate matches midweek to avoid Solly picking up an injury. It was a good example of squad rotation and it worked well. He wasn't chucked in in a panic. Konsa should be in and around the squad an used sparingly, not as our only cover in a position he doesn't play in
    totally agree. Not sure why people are against the signing of Foley though, decent player who has lots of experience and offers useful versatility.
    It's mystifying. We complain about a lack of squad depth and experience last season and then turn our noses up at experienced cover. He wouldn't even be signed as first choice, he'd just be there to cover a couple of positions and hopefully teach some younger players a thing or two about how to maintain a promotion charge.
    I think it's that he has looked pedestrian in central midfield in pre-season, that's he's aging, and that he hasn't played much football in the last couple years. Also, when he came in it was him and Crofts as our prospects for signings, so I don't think it's so much not wanting to sign him as it is worrying that we would only sign him

For me, I figure that given he's a former international and Premier League player that he'll be on pretty high wages that might be better spent elsewhere. If we bring him in I won't be upset. Also, between Konsa and Archie Edwards, as well as RCC having played there, do we have enough cover from the youth ranks when combined (meaning we're not just relying on one youth player)? As I mentioned above, it's really tricky balancing giving your youth players room to move into the squad versus having enough cover.
    A centre half, a left back and a right midfielder as our right back cover. Two of whom have never made an appearance for the club and only one of whom has ever filled that position, and struggled so badly in it against Hull he had to be moved and have Cousins put in his place. That's a disaster waiting to happen. I agree, it's tough to know when to bring young players in, but you should give yourself the option. Solly injured and up against Bolton? Put Foley in. Draw Chelmsford in the cup? Give Konsa a go. Depth is having options, not having a last resort that comes in at the first sign of trouble
  • vffvff
    edited August 2016

Agreed Mac they would have to show a spectacular level of imcompetance reaching unscaled heights of ineptitude... oh feck!

Particularly after selling the only other pace in the team on the other wing. Duchatelet & Meire are not that clueless to get rid of the only other pace in the team ? (Before getting any replacements in).
  • Macronate said:

Jay Simpson reading between the lines on ITV.

Striker/winger.

Bo legged. Would he pass the medical?
  • Sponsored links:

• Started his career as goalkeeper at Cardiff I believe.
  • edited August 2016
    Thought he looked decent at the Euros.
  • Oldham were looking likely to sign him but that seems to have fallen apart according to their manager.
  • 1 in 10 at Aberdeen. Church scored up there. Apart from that, I've never seen him so criticism may be unfair
  • Joshua Brendan David "Josh" Magennis (born 15 August 1990) is a Northern Irish footballer who plays as a striker for Kilmarnock. Having spent the majority of his youth career as a goalkeeper, he switched to striker in 2008 before turning professional in 2009.[2] He has been described by former Cardiff City academy manager Neal Ardley as having "lightning-quick pace, a great leap and powerful in the air".[3] Magennis has previously played for Cardiff City, Grimsby Town, Aberdeen and St Mirren.
  • edited August 2016
    https://youtu.be/-Sd5yGc7GNU

The infamous YouTube highlights reel. Looks like a battering ram number nine.
  • Please god no
  • Please god no

Why not
  • Please god no

Don't worry, he'll be about for a few weeks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Please god no

Glad we have your encyclopedic knowledge of the lower half of the scottish premiership to go on.
  • Anyone know anything about him?
  • Please god no

Glad we have your encyclopedic knowledge of the lower half of the scottish premiership to go on.
    Google him, surely we can do better than that
  • Please god no

You'd probably have said the same about Kermorgant then, he didn't turn out too bad.

• Please god no

Not that Google says a lot but he has scored an average of about 10 a season for a target man in a strugglung team. Northern Ireland international and scored the goal that sent them to the Euros v Greece.

We are in league 1 - is it that bad on paper to back up Novak?
  • Anyone know anything about him?

His uncle Mark[50] currently plays for Northern Irish Premier League side Ballymena United, he has also played for Linfield and Bangor. Magennis revealed he once nearly quit football for rugby after struggling as a goalkeeper before eventually switching position to striker.[51] On 28 January 2013, Magennis became a father after his girlfriend, Amy, gave birth to a son.[52]
    Source?
  • Signing a player off a good international tournament when their whole career has suggested they aren't up to the level. Always works out well. Fucking hell they are stupid.
  • Signing a player off a good international tournament when their whole career has suggested they aren't up to the level. Always works out well. Fucking hell they are stupid.

Christ cheer up, seen nothing but good reviews for him from Kilmarnock fans. Can't imagine what you said when Yann signed.

Christ cheer up, seen nothing but good reviews for him from Kilmarnock fans. Can't imagine what you said when Yann signed.
    I said "Yann who?" I admit it.