Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• edited August 2016
    "If Lookman goes even at £3 million it will be bad business. By the end of this season he will be worth £4 million at least."

But only if we are back in the Championship. Can't see anyone paying £4m for a League 1 player.
  • cafc-west said:

"If Lookman goes even at £3 million it will be bad business. By the end of this season he will be worth £4 million at least."

But only if we are back in the Championship. Can't see anyone paying £4m for a League 1 player.

They will if he is good enough. With two of the best sides in the Premier league in for him it has set the benchmark. If he plays a few more games and does well the price will go up and also the interest. £2 mil is pocket money to both these clubs and suggests to me they're more scared of missing out on potentially a great player but don't rate him that highly yet.
  • Paddy Roberts went for 11 from Fulham without playing a game.

He played a handful of Premier League games for Fulham, made his debut against Man City I think
    My Bad.
  • Swisdom said:

iaitch said:

Who is actually after Texeira? Seen rumours he's going but no mention of who wants him.

BBC website this morning says Arsenal and Liverpool battling over Lookman around £2m mark.

Seen lots of comments on Facebook slagging the club off for taking £2m........yet the only source is a tiny column in The Sun.

At the moment Lookman is nothing more than a punt. He's very young and very raw. Undeniably talented but not the finished article. He will improve with regular league football and that's probably why people are reluctant to shell out just yet. He has no release clause so we don't need to take the first offer BUT we are never going to get £8m-£10m as we feel he is worth because he's only played about 20 games in his life.

The daft truth is that at £3m he's a cheap risk and that sort of money would be accepted by the club. He doesn't want to leave but I am not sure he'll get a say in it. His agent is, I believe, really pushing him to move and likely to be the reason for additional column inches
    Lookman, played 26, scored 5. All in Championship. You would be happy with £3M.

Walcott, played 21, scored 5, all in Championship. Went for £5M initial, now paid £12M after add ons. This was about 10 years ago.

The Ox, played 36 League One games. Went for £12M initial, up to £15M with add ons. This was about 5 years ago.

I reckon the CM at Man City (who went from Leeds to Villa) was about £8M from League One - Delph.

Since those sales TV money has probably gone up by a factor of 5 so you could make a compelling argument we should be getting much more.
    I was about to mention those transfers so thanks for saving me the trouble of digging out the figures.
  • Swisdom said:

iaitch said:

Who is actually after Texeira? Seen rumours he's going but no mention of who wants him.

BBC website this morning says Arsenal and Liverpool battling over Lookman around £2m mark.

Seen lots of comments on Facebook slagging the club off for taking £2m........yet the only source is a tiny column in The Sun.

At the moment Lookman is nothing more than a punt. He's very young and very raw. Undeniably talented but not the finished article. He will improve with regular league football and that's probably why people are reluctant to shell out just yet. He has no release clause so we don't need to take the first offer BUT we are never going to get £8m-£10m as we feel he is worth because he's only played about 20 games in his life.

The daft truth is that at £3m he's a cheap risk and that sort of money would be accepted by the club. He doesn't want to leave but I am not sure he'll get a say in it. His agent is, I believe, really pushing him to move and likely to be the reason for additional column inches
    If Lookman goes even at £3 million it will be bad business. By the end of this season he will be worth £4 million at least.
    So to me £3million now is worth more than £4million at the end of the season...

£1million could be used to fund a very decent new CM with say £400k on wages.

That equates to £1.6m in Roly's pocket.
  • edited August 2016
    cafc-west said:

But only if we are back in the Championship. Can't see anyone paying £4m for a League 1 2 player.

• Swisdom said:

iaitch said:

Walcott, played 21, scored 5, all in Championship. Went for £5M initial, now paid £12M after add ons. This was about 10 years ago.

The Ox, played 36 League One games. Went for £12M initial, up to £15M with add ons. This was about 5 years ago.

I reckon the CM at Man City (who went from Leeds to Villa) was about £8M from League One - Delph.

Since those sales TV money has probably gone up by a factor of 5 so you could make a compelling argument we should be getting much more.
    To clarify I did not say I'd be happy with £3m. I think he's an unbelievable talent. Unfortunately the £3m figure is more realistic
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Paddy Roberts went for 11 from Fulham without playing a game.

He played a handful of Premier League games for Fulham, made his debut against Man City I think
    My Bad.
    No, just no.
    Haha if only I had the memory or wit to have done that on purpose.
  • Swisdom said:

iaitch said:

All really good examples of the transfer fees you can get when your business model isn't developing future premier league players.
  • I thought we would have realised by now that the fee is irrelevant when you sell players for millions and replace them with loans and freebies no one else wanted.
  • Swisdom said:

iaitch said:

All really good examples of the transfer fees you can get when your business model isn't developing future premier league players.
    Exactly, if you set yourself up as a factory then you will receive low-end prices - they are not needed for you, you will take the offer. Set up a quality team around them and people need to pay to snatch them from you. It's the way it works. £2m or £3m would be bad business on our behalf. Real bad. So expect it to be undisclosed and we soon find out we scratched £3m including add-ons.
  • sammy391 said:

Guy on Twitter claiming we've expressed an interest in gabby agbonlahor

Coventry seem to be in the lead in the race for him.

Those who think Roger Johnson is stealing a living should see Agbonlahor play
  • Swisdom said:

sammy391 said:

Coventry seem to be in the lead in the race for him.

Those who think Roger Johnson is stealing a living should see Agbonlahor play
    A guy with 322 premier league appearances & 3 England caps is stealing a living?? Righto
  • sammy391 said:

Probably on £50k+ per week.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's got ridiculously fat
  • Fat and over the hill - but free and desperate. Sounds perfect.
  • What happened to today's signing? Slade sounded pretty confident it was nearly done.
  • What happened to today's signing? Slade sounded pretty confident it was nearly done.

I think it could have been magennis, but Kilmarnock have seemed to turn the bid down and have now offered him a new contract!
  • He's 30. Villas all time PL goal scorer. If he's fit he would be worth a shout. I doubt we can afford him though.
  • I wouldn't take him here now. He appears to have gone off the rails & I'd steer well clear. There's no way we could afford him anyway, but to say that he's stealing a living as a professional footballer, having spent his entire career in the premier league, is ridiculous!
  • He's got ridiculously fat

We do need a big lump up front
  • sammy391 said:

What happened to today's signing? Slade sounded pretty confident it was nearly done.

I think it could have been magennis, but Kilmarnock have seemed to turn the bid down and have now offered him a new contract!
    I'm inclined to agree. When Russ left South London on Friday Katie probably told him it was a done deal and we'd offered Killie what they wanted, Russ probably only found out after his post match interview that they were not swayed by the offer of three extra beans or Rojo on loan.
  • Not stealing a living, but definitely past it now.