Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• I see the Swindon chairman is Lee Power, is that the same Lee Power who once played for us, on loan I think?

I believe it is.
  • edited June 2016
    A journalist on Twitter claiming Ajose and Novak have signed and will be announced tomorrow. Kieran Agard was apparently the alternative choice to Novak but we couldn't afford both.

Dr Kish saying similar things as well.

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201606&date=20160616&time=2057

• Agard only ever had one particularly good season and that was a few years ago. Considering Novak is on a free and Agard would command at least 500k I'd say it seems that Novak is the better deal with money spent elsewhere in the squad.
  • Scoham said:

A journalist on Twitter claiming Ajose and Novak have signed and will be announced tomorrow. Kieran Agard was apparently the alternative choice to Novak but we couldn't afford both.

Dr Kish saying similar things as well.

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201606&date=20160616&time=2057

Please let this to true! I'd be over the moon!!
  • If true that's a proper statement for the level we'll be at next season.
  • If we keep pope, Diarra, Bauer, Solly, fox, THD , Lennon and particularly Kashi, we could have a very decent side.

If we also keep Teixara, lookman (dreaming now) and get deep enough cover we could be more than very decent.

If Watt stays as well, or we get a 15-20 league one big man up front, that would be better than I thought possible. We could tear a hole.

Signings are all good, but who we shop out or keep is maybe more important.
  • Assuming we lose Cousins, Vet, one of Bauer and Tex, JBG, Watt on loan, Fox
    Keeping Diarra and Kashi, what else would we need ?
  • 1 or 2 CB, attacking CM and a LB.

Think it'd be a stretch to assume that we'll keep Solly, Lookman and Pope though.
  • Lookman will go but I doubt anyone will take a punt on Solly with his knees and I reckon Pope will stay to play games.
  • Valley11 said:

Lookman will go but I doubt anyone will take a punt on Solly with his knees and I reckon Pope will stay to play games.

Think we have a decent chance of keeping Pope and Solly but there's always interest in them. If we were to lose Lookman I'd love to try and nick Roofe from Oxford, just (by the looks of it) beat Leeds to Ajose so reckon we could get him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow, just seen he's being floated for £2m, maybe not. Not worth that just coming from league 2.
  • Charlton also held talks with Bristol Citys Kieran Agard incase Novak deal Fell through. A case of Agard or Novak, but couldn't afford both.
    That's interesting if true. The big unknown for us, but hopefully not Slade is who of the big earners/big value players will stay and who will go, as that will determine
    a) where the gaps in the squad will be
    b) how much money will be available (transfers AND wages) for new players

For example if the likes of Kashi and Bauer say they definitely want to stay, and Slade wants to keep them, then that will be transfer income and wages that Slade can't spend elsewhere

Indeed if we sign some decent players (for this level) then some of the senior may want to stay, despite everything that happened last season.
  • Valley11 said:

Lookman will go but I doubt anyone will take a punt on Solly with his knees and I reckon Pope will stay to play games.

Think we have a decent chance of keeping Pope and Solly but there's always interest in them. If we were to lose Lookman I'd love to try and nick Roofe from Oxford, just (by the looks of it) beat Leeds to Ajose so reckon we could get him.
    Leeds won't be after Ajose, they terminated his contract last September.
  • I'm not happy with unnecessary relegation of course. However what's happened, has gone.

All about tomorrow, the day after. With the signings being made, it's a step in the right direction.

Do I think RD/KM can recover the damage made? Of course not. Would I prefer another consortium in charge? Of course I do.
  • I actually think Lee Novak could be a very shrewd signing.

Should be at his peak, will be wanting to make a success of it and is likely to want to settle some roots somewhere and establish himself.

Ajose looks like he is an out and out striker but I noticed he didn't get mobbed by team mates when he scored.....I wonder if he's a bit of a lone wolf. Not a bad trait for a striker but I am desperate to see some togetherness in the squad

Really hope Holmes succeeds and isn't another Danny Green - time will tell.

I do wonder though if we have done these 3 deals almost simultaneously as that's about it for financial outlay. We didn't want to show our hand so have done the 3 main transfers at the same time and will now say "We've spent our money and will now deal with freebies"

• Although the signings, if all are definite, seem good on paper, we still need to know who we are going to lose before we get excited. Will support the team as last season but not the regime.
  • I agree Hants. I've accepted Jorge, Igor, Jordan, Paddy, JBG will be gone. I just really hope Ade stays. If any of the above do too, I'll be delighted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

I actually think Lee Novak could be a very shrewd signing.

Should be at his peak, will be wanting to make a success of it and is likely to want to settle some roots somewhere and establish himself.

Ajose looks like he is an out and out striker but I noticed he didn't get mobbed by team mates when he scored.....I wonder if he's a bit of a lone wolf. Not a bad trait for a striker but I am desperate to see some togetherness in the squad

Really hope Holmes succeeds and isn't another Danny Green - time will tell.

I do wonder though if we have done these 3 deals almost simultaneously as that's about it for financial outlay. We didn't want to show our hand so have done the 3 main transfers at the same time and will now say "We've spent our money and will now deal with freebies"

Can't believe he's only 27, thought he was much older than that now

His League One stats each season is also more impressive than I thought, only once has he failed to score double figures it just seems his ability to adapt in the Championship is the struggle but maybe that was because he didnt suit Birmingham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Novak

In regards to Holmes = Danny Green, dont think its a bad thing... Green was inconsistent and didnt adapt to the Championship yet chipped in with some vital goals (Dont know how many assists he got) when we won the League especially against Yeovil and Exeter away
  • RedHenry said he was gone on here yesterday.
  • I meant it's a step in the right direction of the type of players we are signing.

Yes, it's a shame it's taken this long for RD/KM to realise and action. And of course, I sympathise with everyone affected at the club! Not disputing that.

I reiterate I'm not happy with our current predicament, just like everyone else. But I want to concentrate on backing the team, again, like everyone else.
  • edited June 2016
    Wonder if the Lookman deal could involve a loan back. That seems to be what most clubs negotiate on the kind of player - problem is most clubs don't have Katrien Meire doing the negotiating.
  • If Gudmundsson Cousins, Pope, Igor and any of Watt, Bauer and Tex are let go we're going to need a huge summer of recruitment and more than Holmes and Novak. Past experiences don't suggest Katrien Meire is up to the task or that Roland Duchatelet is willing to fund it.
  • When was the last time we sold a player and loaned him back
  • Novak signed
  • Club just tweeted it.

Charlton Athletic FCVerified account ‏@CAFCofficial 1m1 minute ago
    DONE DEAL | Charlton to sign striker Lee Novak on July 1st http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-new-signing-lee-novak-3144867.aspx … #cafc
  • Charlton Athletic FCVerified account ‏@CAFCofficial 1m1 minute ago
    The 27-year-old, who netted 15 goals in League One last season, has agreed a three-deal at the club http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-new-signing-lee-novak-3144867.aspx … #cafc