Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sidemen

Comments

• Options
    I only watched the highlights so cannot comment on the overall play but the keeping was the worst pub league standard. Probably sub pub league in all honesty. I wouldn't want to watch that if Putin's vote squad tried to make me under gun point. 
  • Options
    Haven't seen it reported about the numbers of knives and scissors taken off people at this.
    Haven't seen it reported of a couple of thousand without tickets turning up and trying to get in
    Haven't seen it mentioned about the dickheads running around in balaclavas threatening the maintenance staff (who aren't even CAFC employees)

Glad it raised money for charity but there are still too many dickheads attending stuff like this.
  • Options
    Interesting video of behind the scenes at The Valley.

https://youtu.be/2Ha8BpgVI5M

• Options
    Professional gobshites eh!
  • Options
    The key to success on YouTube is to make the viewers feel part of a community.
    Make it feel like they are watching friends rather than watching random people.
    That encourages the interaction which leads to bigger traction and ultimately bigger events.

For those wondering how the sidemen built to what they are now….

https://youtu.be/HZSLmb6jEhc
  • Options
    Well I feel absolutely ancient ... (mostly because I am).

I'd have loved to have seen the heroes of my day in a match.  Rick Wakeman's long blond hair and golden cape flapping gently as he walked down the wing.  Clapton's indecision in front of goal as he decided between another scotch or a sniff of cocaine, Dylan frantically writing words in his head, Donovan trying to trip him up and Hendrix in his own purple haze.  I could go on, but it'd get too freaky man.  
    Having watched the highlights I think that Purple Haze Hendrix was in goal for both teams. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    At the risk of sounding a bit dated, even for someone in their mid-thirties, I still can’t grasp what makes them so interesting to younger people?

As a teen I looked up to my favourite footballers, musicians etc. They seemed super human. They felt larger than life. And even now I still think of them in that sense from time to time. 

YouTubers….I just can’t get my head around the appeal. At least the scale of the appeal, anyway.
    is there anything intrinsically different to being in awe of someone you watch playing football on the TV, to being in awe of someone excelling at a video game online ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:
    At the risk of sounding a bit dated, even for someone in their mid-thirties, I still can’t grasp what makes them so interesting to younger people?

As a teen I looked up to my favourite footballers, musicians etc. They seemed super human. They felt larger than life. And even now I still think of them in that sense from time to time. 

YouTubers….I just can’t get my head around the appeal. At least the scale of the appeal, anyway.
    is there anything intrinsically different to being in awe of someone you watch playing football on the TV, to being in awe of someone excelling at a video game online ?
    For me, yes. 

Top footballers do things that as a kid I, like many others, would spend time thinking ‘I wish I could do that’. The physical element of that person being adored by tens of thousands of people in a stadium every week, whilst being in the top 0.001% of people to have ever kicked a ball. Anyone could be an influencer on YouTube in some way, but not everyone can be a professional footballer. 

That’s what I mean about having that perception that they were super-human. They could do things that are extraordinary. As if they were blessed with a god-given talent that is a very exclusive club to be in.

Can you apply some of the same principles to the top YouTubers/gamers? I’m sure you can, but there’s something lacking in terms of aura for me. I just couldn’t see myself being starstruck by someone who is one of the best gamers in the world if I walked past them in the street. 

But based on the attendance/viewing numbers for the Sidemen on Saturday - it’s clear that there are millions who would be!
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

For me, yes. 

Top footballers do things that as a kid I, like many others, would spend time thinking ‘I wish I could do that’. The physical element of that person being adored by tens of thousands of people in a stadium every week, whilst being in the top 0.001% of people to have ever kicked a ball. Anyone could be an influencer on YouTube in some way, but not everyone can be a professional footballer. 

That’s what I mean about having that perception that they were super-human. They could do things that are extraordinary. As if they were blessed with a god-given talent that is a very exclusive club to be in.

Can you apply some of the same principles to the top YouTubers/gamers? I’m sure you can, but there’s something lacking in terms of aura for me. I just couldn’t see myself being starstruck by someone who is one of the best gamers in the world if I walked past them in the street. 

But based on the attendance/viewing numbers for the Sidemen on Saturday - it’s clear that there are millions who would be!
    Kids grow up watching youtube videos and wish they can be youtubers. That is the reality of the classrooms nowadays. 
  • Options
    Sorry but I think that’s nonsense. For one, not every kid wants to be a YouTube star. 

Second, there are most definitely still kids that want to be footballers or musicians and I’m sure they all believe it’ll be easier than it truly is. What’s the difference?

Just looks like an opportunity to bash young people because it’s not something you can imagine you would’ve been interested in. Doesn’t sit right with me.
    I mean he literally just explained the difference.
  • Options
    If you've been watching them on a screen for a number of years they are effectively stars to the young viewers, be that screen TV, laptop, i pad or phone. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what is your channel @EugenesAxe

will give you a subscribe  
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:

For me, yes. 

I think you’re categorising these people in the wrong way. Millions of people didn’t tune in because they’re in awe of their ability to play games. 

A lot of the people watching have watched these people for the past 10 years. Essentially growing up with them, so it’s a much more intimate and two-way relationship between a viewer and YouTuber compared to a football fan and footballer.

It may be one of those things where if you have to ask the question then you probably won’t understand the answer. It’s all generational I guess. 
    I wouldn’t say it’s a generational thing for me. I play video games, I watch YouTube, I’m probably only 10-15 years older than a lot of the audience that was there on Saturday. So it’s not as if the concepts are completely alien to me. 

But whilst there is this ‘two way’ relationship that is perceived with YouTubers, you can’t tell me that they aren’t being idolised and put on a celebrity type pedestal. Teenagers would be clamouring over them a lot more than any footballers we’ve seen down The Valley in a long time. 

I can’t dispute the popularity, the numbers are there. I just merely think it’s a bit weird for ~30,000 people turn up to watch them play football. 

Then again, I’m sure there are many people out there who think I’m a massive weirdo for taking an entire weekend of my time to see us draw 1-1 away at Fleetwood Town last week.
  • Options
    I think I’m a massive weirdo for supporting us!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    JaShea99 said:
    Sorry but I think that’s nonsense. For one, not every kid wants to be a YouTube star. 

Second, there are most definitely still kids that want to be footballers or musicians and I’m sure they all believe it’ll be easier than it truly is. What’s the difference?

Just looks like an opportunity to bash young people because it’s not something you can imagine you would’ve been interested in. Doesn’t sit right with me.
    I mean he literally just explained the difference.
    I’m challenging the assertion that it’s plausible to become a success on YouTube with little to no effort and therefore there is no difference.

Kids don’t want to become a YouTube influencer because they think it’ll be easy later in life. Very rarely are kids the age of 10 seriously considering career options and weighing the pros and cons of work-life balance!

They want to do YouTube because watching these videos and keeping up with their micro-celebrities is their hobby. Much like going to the football and wanting to be a footballer will be a hobby of other kids
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Do you play an instrument? I play guitar and when i learned to play the solo to don't look back in anger it was great that i could play it. But it does remove that "super human" element that you describe about musicians.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Do you play an instrument? I play guitar and when i learned to play the solo to don't look back in anger it was great that i could play it. But it does remove that "super human" element that you describe about musicians.
    But you didn't write don't look back in anger.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    cafctom said:

I also play guitar. The ‘super human’ element to me for musicians isn’t just the technical aspect, but the fact that they could dream up something that sounded so good, and then go and play it live on stage and have 80,000 people sing every word back to them. In fact, Noel Gallagher himself has said in interviews before that even though his work isn’t technically that difficult to play, people will still kick themselves that they didn’t think of it first.