Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sidemen

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    My contact was there - works for Youtube - says 2.6 million live stream audience and over a million pounds raised so far.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Huh, so it seems Aneke has been saving himself for the big one - snuk in at 21 in disguise. 

Only that geezer playing 21 is about 5 stone overweight - but has still done more on the pitch this season than Chuks!
    1/1
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Off_it said:
    Huh, so it seems Aneke has been saving himself for the big one - snuk in at 21 in disguise. 

Only that geezer playing 21 is about 5 stone overweight - but has still done more on the pitch this season than Chuks!
    1/1
    Indeed. :-)

And he scored too!
  • Options
    Just happened to notice the stream for this in my recommended on youtube a few minutes ago - it has 10 million views...  :o
  • Options
    These blokes are global and many multi multi millionaires.

That Logan Paul got in the ring with Mayweather earning £15m
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    These blokes are global and many multi multi millionaires.

That Logan Paul got in the ring with Mayweather earning £15m
    shows what a coup it is that they pick our stadium when they could probably fill Wembley a few times without a sweat. 

views up to 14 million now btw
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They had to abandon the trophy presentation at the end as there was a real chance of a pitch invasion. Plenty of kids pushed to the front in the last few minutes. Thought it was going to turn a bit messy but the stewards managed to keep everyone back apart from a few straglers.
  • Options
    It looked a great game, with some great goals.
    Mind you if both teams had a decent goalie, there would probably have been 10 goals less (not a criticism).
  • Options
    Did the All Stars goalie take lessons from Nicky Weaver  ?  Never seen a keeper try to stop a shot so many times by trying to hack it clear.

Saying that there were some terrific goals & some great passing moves. I believe a few were locked in the broom cupboard afterwards & will be appearing for us next Saturday. 
  • Options
    So depressing seeing the valley packed and buzzing - we are a long way of those days returning.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    I defy anyone not to smile watching this. Some cracking goals, some absolute howlers, but above all - joy. Football played as it should be.

And the goal at 5 min 10 sec would grace any game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk104yt1oyk

Half of those would get in our first team
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    What exactly is the appeal to watch YouTubers playing charity football?

I’m doing my best to not slag it off, as it’s clearly not aimed at people like me, but can someone explain to me even why young people would want to sit around on a Saturday afternoon and watch this online?

Genuinely curious.
    Here's my best try (I have two teenage sons):
    you play video games; you then watch people around the world being really good at the games you play; you come to admire those gamers, and you would like to see them in the flesh; they play a football match that would be competitive-ish and funny (and free!). What's not to like 🤣

Anyway, I must go back to the Barnsley thread ... even as we concede 🤬
    Some of these guys are more than just video gamers. MrBeast for example has over 100m followers on youtube, he has a huge team working with him, his videos takes months of prep and ridiculous budgets, and many of them are sponsored because of the prizes he gives away.

For example for anyone who watched Squid Game on Netflix, the level of planning and detail that must've gone into this video is crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e3GPea1Tyg
  • Options
    I heard the crowd noise from Charlton Park.
  • Options
    So most importantly, how much will the club get for hosting, or is it all for charity?
  • Options
    It seems that young people either want the absolute best - so "support" Real Madrid even if they live in Sidcup, or are happy to watch a pub game if it has a few famous (to them) faces in it. Where does that leave the majority of professional footballers and those of us that try to keep it alive?

After England on Friday and Charlton yesterday, I don't think I have ever been more depressed about football.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously this was a completely different scenario to a run of the mill League One match, but I hope the club have learned as much as possible about building engagement and attendances from the Sidemen game.  
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    It seems that young people either want the absolute best - so "support" Real Madrid even if they live in Sidcup, or are happy to watch a pub game if it has a few famous (to them) faces in it. Where does that leave the majority of professional footballers and those of us that try to keep it alive?

After England on Friday and Charlton yesterday, I don't think I have ever been more depressed about football.  
    Simply not the case, plenty of young fans about... just if you're going to spend £30 for a ticket you probably want better (just like how the older fans think).

kids supporting the popular clubs is nothing new though, we've just not been anywhere near a popular for a long time. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I spoke to my youngest who's 28 and he watched it on YouTube and had friends there too. Apparently two of the players were in my eldest sons year at Bexley Grammar School. All multi millionaires. Literally had no idea. Hopefully they are Charlton fans.
  • Options
    Depending on how old you are, think of your grandparents and the birth of radio, your parents with the birth of TV. The people in those mediums became stars to their audiences. This is the same with these YouTubers today. The world moved on, you either jump on or get left behind.
  • Options
    I spoke to my youngest who's 28 and he watched it on YouTube and had friends there too. Apparently two of the players were in my eldest sons year at Bexley Grammar School. All multi millionaires. Literally had no idea. Hopefully they are Charlton fans.
    That shows you how times change, when I was 28 I was off my face in warehouses every weekend lol.
  • Options

I think you’re wrong to be depressed about football generally. The “market” for live football in this country is enormous, bigger than it ever has been - no longer the preserve of straight white males, the demographic has grown tremendously which means a much bigger potential customer base. And it’s not just the Premier League, teams in the second and third tiers can attract big attendances, some on a regular basis. 

We’ve just been awful at taking advantage of the boom. It’s almost ironic that the owner who has made “selling out” the Valley a cornerstone of his plan for the club has probably been the least effective in doing so. Regular attendances of 27,000 in League One are an impossibility, even if we were smashing the league. But with a mixture of a strong engagement plan and a half decent team the attendances could be significantly higher than the atrocious numbers we’ve seen this season. 
  • Options
    None of the sidemen are Charlton fans. 
    The two that went BGS, one is Man Utd and the other is Millwall. 
  • Options
    None of the sidemen are Charlton fans. 
    The two that went BGS, one is Man Utd and the other is Millwall. 
    Ah well, worth a try. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I think you’re wrong to be depressed about football generally. The “market” for live football in this country is enormous, bigger than it ever has been - no longer the preserve of straight white males, the demographic has grown tremendously which means a much bigger potential customer base. And it’s not just the Premier League, teams in the second and third tiers can attract big attendances, some on a regular basis. 

We’ve just been awful at taking advantage of the boom. It’s almost ironic that the owner who has made “selling out” the Valley a cornerstone of his plan for the club has probably been the least effective in doing so. Regular attendances of 27,000 in League One are an impossibility, even if we were smashing the league. But with a mixture of a strong engagement plan and a half decent team the attendances could be significantly higher than the atrocious numbers we’ve seen this season. 
    Thanks for trying se9. (and Shine).