Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Slovakia

Comments

• Options
    I felt that we lacked movement up front. We didn't create enough space to work with and as it got later Slovakia packed out their penalty box to limit the space even more.

Clyne played well. Smalling was a liability. Wilshere and Henderson were very poor and Kane still looks a shadow of himself.
  • Options
    I'm confused ? Aren't Hungary , if we get them , just going to do exactly the same and park the bus ? What do we do then, hope for the best in penalties?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Biggest mistake of the night was taking of Sturridge instead of Vardy. Wonder how many touches Vardy had as I completely forgot he was on the pitch. Not the type of game for him, he needs space to run in to. Sturridge looked the most capable of providing a moment of magic.

Other than that, Slovakia defended with 11 and did well. They beat Spain and Germany in a similar fashion it's worth remembering. England will do better against team who come out and play.

I wouldn't be afraid of anyone from Group F, I know it's a psychology thing with Portugal but Portugal have been woeful. Potential quarterfinal against France is where is could become problematic, but it's possible that they would get Italy/Belgium/Portugal at the quarterfinal if they'd won the group.
  • Options

There will be a complete over reaction to that. When we play better opposition we will improve. Breaking down 11 players is a chore. We will come good.

Bang on. If Slovakia had committed men forward then they lose the game. Sometime you have to suck it up and give the oppo credit.
  • Options
    Someone like Townsend would have been great to bring in there. We were getting nothing down the middle.
  • Options
    Also, for a Wet Spam manager I do love Slaven Bilić's analysis. Seems like a great guy and very intelligent.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    We need to see how the groups develop now. England played well - missing a different option against a team that parked the bus. We don't have enough goals in the side against these type of sides. I think Hodgson made an error starting the game how he did - but let's see who Wales get and who we get - the groups aren't predictable and we could get lucky with Hungary or Iceland. If we get Portugal, they will beat us on penalties!

We could have got very lucky for a change - I think the team to avoid is Spain and we can't play them until the final now. The big teams on our side of the draw are France - quarters (all being well) and Italy or Germany in Semi final (again, all being well). I suspect Portugal will beat Hungary to top their group.
  • Options
    Same old from England. That game was there to be won and they couldn't do it (didn't even look like it really).
    Nothing changes. I'm sure we're going to fizzle out of this tournament as usual.
  • Options
    Not quite sure how anyone can say that we missed Walker. Clyne was our best attacking player. Bertrand wasn't as good as Rose. Wilshire was chap. There was a complete lack of invention from midfield. Alli is our most creative player.
    Sturridge and Vardy was the wrong combination. Should have been either Lallana or Sturridge, not both.
    I think that Kane should have started, even though he hasn't impressed. Would have been better for Vardy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So easy to criticise players that have no affinity to your club side. Serious potential there. In the right circumstances it'll come together. Next game will be tricky against the same type of setup but if we get through that then I'll think we will come good.
  • Options
    Starting to wonder why Hodgson didn't take Townsend instead of Barkley. Game was crying out for a bit of width to try and stretch them
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Boring rubbish 6 changes and he brings most of them back on !!!
    All the procession means nothing when you only create one chance ......

Andy Carroll was the man for that game

We created more than one chance. Or did you just watch the first 20 odd mins?
  • Options

At least we might get to play a team who wants to try and win the game in the knock out rounds

well said Dave.

Are CL punters suddenly 14 ?

wake up People. even in euro 96 we only won 2 games in 90 minutes from what i can remember. Scotland and Holland.

With 10 men behind the ball it wouldn't have mattered what 11 he started with. The slovaks defended well with their two buses.

Don't care who we play in the knock out round as long as it's a team who want to win and not just get to penalties.

Say again the mistake was made against Russia not tonight.
    Russia were always the weakest team in our group.

• Options
    When it comes to getting the better of the other managers Chris Coleman was within 90 seconds of a clean sweep.

Thanks to those 90 seconds Roy hasn't got the wooden spoon.

Wales now have 2 tournament wins in a week. Roy's England have 3 in 3 tournaments and the glory of drawing with Russia who are the worst team at this tournament.
  • Options
    Wales v Czech Republic, England v Iceland.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

I'm confused ? Aren't Hungary , if we get them , just going to do exactly the same and park the bus ? What do we do then, hope for the best in penalties?

Because today was all about getting points on the board...

Slovakia knew that defeat would leave them on 3-pts, a negative goal difference and almost certainly would have been in danger of being one of the worst 3rd place teams.

In getting the point they'll now be one of the few teams in 3rd with 4-prs so for me are through.

When we play Hungary they can play like that but they need to win the game, a point wont do anything for them... Yes they can hold out for penalties but 120mins chasing Walker and Rose will tire them out and we should break through.
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:

Wales v Czech Republic, England v Iceland.

Iceland wont get 2nd, they'll only draw with Austria
  • Options
    Why are we so certain it'll be Hungary? If Iceland and Portugal both win then it could be Portugal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colin1961 said:

Andy Carroll may have been ideal for that game but this is a tournament... We cant sacrifice a spot in a small squad for a player who'll most likely only appear in one or two games!!
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Andy Carroll may have been ideal for that game but this is a tournament... We cant sacrifice a spot in a small squad for a player who'll most likely only appear in one or two games!!

Like Rashford and Barkley?
  • Options
    By the way... 10-years!!

Just to cheer everyone up its been that long since we last won a knockout match in a Major Tournement... 1-0 v Ecuador in the 2006 World Cup
  • Options

colin1961 said:

And there is also the temptation to just keep lumping the ball in the box over and over again. You get games where you just can't break teams down, this was one of them.
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

Because today was all about getting points on the board...

Slovakia knew that defeat would leave them on 3-pts, a negative goal difference and almost certainly would have been in danger of being one of the worst 3rd place teams.

In getting the point they'll now be one of the few teams in 3rd with 4-prs so for me are through.

When we play Hungary they can play like that but they need to win the game, a point wont do anything for them... Yes they can hold out for penalties but 120mins chasing Walker and Rose will tire them out and we should break through.
    The only problem is that Hungary need a result against us. It's been shown across 3 games against us that the best way to achieve that is sit deep and counteract our pace. If we get a goal early im sure we'll walk over whoever we play, if not , can see us out on penalties. It's so frustrating.
  • Options

Why are we so certain it'll be Hungary? If Iceland and Portugal both win then it could be Portugal

Not bothered about Portugal either.

They've been worse than us
  • Options
    Hodgson out! Mediocre draws against Russia & Slovakia and a fortunate win over Wales who demolished Russia tonight with few players of quality.
  • Options

So easy to criticise players that have no affinity to your club side. Serious potential there. In the right circumstances it'll come together. Next game will be tricky against the same type of setup but if we get through that then I'll think we will come good.

Yes
    We need to play against a good side who intend to win the game.

The game reminded me of when we were a prem side and would play lower opposition in the cup.

We had no idea how to break the side down.

A goal in first 10 mins changes everything, and we had them chances. but were unlucky to convert
  • Options
    Let's sack our manager a week before the knockouts, brilliant stuff everyone