Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Slovakia

Comments

• Options
    The bottom half could have Italy, France, Germany and England, although I reckon Germany will try to come second to avoid Italy, their bogey team.
  • Options
    LordDofB said:

Hodgson out! Mediocre draws against Russia & Slovakia and a fortunate win over Wales who demolished Russia tonight with few players of quality.

Good idea. Let's sack him mid way through a tournament. Put Gary Lewin in interim charge for one game, then appoint Wim De Corte for the rest.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Let's sack our manager a week before the knockouts, brilliant stuff everyone

Not what anyone's saying. But with a snail's performance like that, we'll play lucky to make the quarter finals.
  • Options
    Watch Ronaldo have a fucking worldie against us
  • Options
    I thought the trouble with playing Sturridge on the right was that everytime he got the ball he cut in on his left and the defenders just kept taking it off him. What is it with managers that they like players playing on their wrong side? The only crosses were when Clyne crossed the ball on his correct foot. I thought Wiltshire got too cocky with his little touches that went nowhere. No penetration in midfield except for Lallana. Apart from a couple of instances, we seem to wait until the last 10 minutes before someone tried to shoot at goal, and wasn't the shots terrible. England remind me of Arsenal last year, lovely to watch, nice passing, but have to try and walk the ball into the net. Rant over, I know you will not all agree with me, but it makes me feel better saying it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Why are we so certain it'll be Hungary? If Iceland and Portugal both win then it could be Portugal

Not bothered about Portugal either.

They've been worse than us
    That's the thing - we haven't been bad at all. We've played well in all 3 games. 5 points and 3 goals isn't good enough that's for sure but it's my no means a disaster.
  • Options

So easy to criticise players that have no affinity to your club side. Serious potential there. In the right circumstances it'll come together. Next game will be tricky against the same type of setup but if we get through that then I'll think we will come good.

Yes
    We need to play against a good side who intend to win the game.

The game reminded me of when we were a prem side and would play lower opposition in the cup.

We had no idea how to break the side down.

A goal in first 10 mins changes everything, and we had them chances. but were unlucky to convert
    Why does it only remind you of Charlton as a Premier League team?

Throughout the whole of last season we only beat one team who were around us and that was away @ Rotherham, the rest were narrow defeats or bore draws.

Even when we won League One you had the away game @ Stevenage... Its always been like that at Charlton, its more baffling than when we'd finish the season in March
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Boring rubbish 6 changes and he brings most of them back on !!!
    All the procession means nothing when you only create one chance ......

Andy Carroll was the man for that game

Andy Carroll may have been ideal for that game but this is a tournament... We cant sacrifice a spot in a small squad for a player who'll most likely only appear in one or two games!!
    You can if you have imagination. But we have a decent squad and this tournament is still winnable. France haven't impressed me - I think playing at home isn't helping that side! I think Italy will beat Germany and to be honest, they will be a stiff test, but that would be a winnable semi final! We really need Hungary - they have no chance of beating us from what I have seen. Portugal may have been rubbish, but they have other gears!
  • Options

Why are we so certain it'll be Hungary? If Iceland and Portugal both win then it could be Portugal

That's the thing - we haven't been bad at all. We've played well in all 3 games. 5 points and 3 goals isn't good enough that's for sure but it's my no means a disaster.
    The studio made one big point.

Prior to the competition everyone was shitting themselves about our Defence yet its barely been touchee
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Watch Ronaldo have a fucking worldie against us

From the options above, it's unlikely we'll play Portugal, I can't see Iceland beating Austria
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Was looking for something like this, thanks!

So if all results had a 50/50 chance:

Iceland 7/18 chance
    Portugal 1/9 (2/18) chance
    Hungary 5/18 chance
    Austria 2/9 (4/18) chance
  • Options
    Frustrating but at least you know Henderson and Wilshere (apart from a good pass or two) are not really at the races. Clyne is great back up. Lallana is inventive (even if he doesn't score) and Bertrand is not Rose.

If we play that kind of game in the knockouts I am confident going forward, but as the pundits say, the defence hasn't really been tested.

Who bloody knows?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    But for a last minute goal against Wales we wouldn't be making it out the group stages. We'd be on a bus home.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    It will be, we have been playing sides that have no real attacking ambition but we have still conceded two goals and nearly gifted them a goal today out of nothing. But we are a good side - despite the craziness of the manager, we can win this tournament!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Chunes said:

People feel the criticism has been OTT? But for a last minute goal against Wales we wouldn't be making it out the group stages. We'd be on a bus home.

No we'd be in 3rd and waiting to see if we'd done enough to get through.

But whilst we're at it... If Russia hadnt got their last minute winner, had the Slovakia GK or Hart saved Bale's free kicks... Had Payat not been selected by France... Get my point?
  • Options
    my only real criticism was there quite a few instances of poor decision making as the game wore on. I understand players start getting anxious but Sturridge, Clyne, Alli, Kane all showed instances of selfishness which wasn't needed when there were better options.

I barely saw Vardy touch the ball all second half, and thought Rooney looked really below par when he come on.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The studio made one big point.

Prior to the competition everyone was shitting themselves about our Defence yet its barely been touchee
    But then it's hardly been attacked either. That's been the problem. Every team has sat back and defended against us and we aren't good or experienced enough to deal with that. Well done to Wales but Slovakia and Russia didn't play against them the same way they played against us. Even Wales did basically fuc all against us and wouldn't have scored had it not been for a Hart OG.

When (if) we get to play a more attacking team then we'll see whether that makes us better attacking wise and if our defence can handle it.
  • Options
    We have a really good team but no world beater. If we had Gareth Bale we could win this but I expect us to go out in penalties next round as normal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Portugal will beat Hungary and we will have to watch video after video of the Magyars and everyone will tell us what the odds are of a 3-6
  • Options

So easy to criticise players that have no affinity to your club side. Serious potential there. In the right circumstances it'll come together. Next game will be tricky against the same type of setup but if we get through that then I'll think we will come good.

Yes
    We need to play against a good side who intend to win the game.

The game reminded me of when we were a prem side and would play lower opposition in the cup.

We had no idea how to break the side down.

A goal in first 10 mins changes everything, and we had them chances. but were unlucky to convert
    Why does it only remind you of Charlton as a Premier League team?

Throughout the whole of last season we only beat one team who were around us and that was away @ Rotherham, the rest were narrow defeats or bore draws.

Even when we won League One you had the away game @ Stevenage... Its always been like that at Charlton, its more baffling than when we'd finish the season in March
    Cause I haven't give a shit since the Prem
  • Options
    masicat said:

3rd place qualification has ruined a lot. Wait and see how many games resemble this one before the weekend.

Group F is where 3rd place Qualification will make the games interesting as everyone can still qualify and go out
  • Options
    Vardy stretched them and controlled it better and moved it on more than Kane did in all three matches. Sturridge got better as the game went on.

Henderson offers nothing. his delivery from set pieces was woeful.

Rooney did NOTHING.

Ali, Wilshere, Dier
    Sturridge, Vardy, Lallana

Desperate for Townsend

• Options
    France drew their last game 0-0
    Germany drew their last game 0-0
    England drew their last game 0-0

We are in good company.
  • Options
    masicat said:

3rd place qualification has ruined a lot. Wait and see how many games resemble this one before the weekend.

Agree totally. No way should it be acceptable for a team to play for 3 draws and knowing that'll be good enough to get them through. Makes for so many dull games.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Peter Crouch - what's he doing on TV? What is he on about?

He was on about the team changes ...... over and over again!

In fact, his punditry made his playing career look world class.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Looked up the dude @stackitsteve linked to and saw this

Over 50% chance we'll play Hungary.

About 1 in 6 chance of facing the other three teams. Austria least likely.