Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC v Waalwijk match thread (FT 1-1, lost 4-3 on pens). - att: 1,626 (217 away).

Comments

• Options

haha can imagine ROJO giving it Charlie big potatoes wanting to take the first pen and missing.

Bell.

Mate, he honestly was, you got it right.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

TBF, I don't think our Russell understood Louis's correct pronunciation of the name. He probably calls him Texxerra. (Not a knock, just saying)

I think this was the case too.
  • Options
    madadd said:

Rob7Lee said:

He was clearly just looking at a few players, could argue the earlier games should have been for that but we are where we are.

Johnson played OK, he missed a few chances from corners, he's big and strong enough that he gets his head on the ball from set pieces but can't seem to put them away. I didn't like the way he was talking to the two young centre halves, he wasn't supportive more critical.

Holmes was very lively when he came on, he'll be key this year, the forwards looked lost, Ba was pretty awful, he's just not up to it or probably more likely he's just not up 'for' it. Ajose needs someone alongside him, he's not a lone striker thats for sure.

Didn't rate Foley, he was like a very third rate Holland.

I reckon we can field a fairly effective 1st 11, however if any of them are out we have almost Zero in reserve. Assuming no more player sales I can see the team being:

Goalkeeper, hopefully a signing if not Phillips.

Solly, Tex, Johnson (Bauer when back), Fox,

Holmes, Croft, Jackson, Harriet/Lookman

Ajose & Lookman, substitute Lookman to midfield/behind the front 2 if Novak fit

That team should be competitive against most of league 1, but we are short of cover in almost all positions i'd say.

Better find reserve then, because at least one of those starting midfield won't be here by the end of next week
    Hmm @madadd is this true or an assumption? I assume Lookman or Harriet. We need 8 players still in my opinion, 2x keepers, 1x RB, 1x CB, 1x winger, 2x creative CM, 1x striker. That assumes no one leaves.

Slade has gone from 5/6 a few days back to an unconvincing 5 (can't remember his words this time around). We will be short no doubt and this is dawning on him.

He won't resign, he seems ok from what he has said but I can't see a queue of clubs for him. He is in career last chance saloon with us which is why his last two jobs have been with 2 owners most 'in demand' managers would simply turn down.
  • Options

madadd said:

Rob7Lee said:

He was clearly just looking at a few players, could argue the earlier games should have been for that but we are where we are.

Johnson played OK, he missed a few chances from corners, he's big and strong enough that he gets his head on the ball from set pieces but can't seem to put them away. I didn't like the way he was talking to the two young centre halves, he wasn't supportive more critical.

Holmes was very lively when he came on, he'll be key this year, the forwards looked lost, Ba was pretty awful, he's just not up to it or probably more likely he's just not up 'for' it. Ajose needs someone alongside him, he's not a lone striker thats for sure.

Didn't rate Foley, he was like a very third rate Holland.

I reckon we can field a fairly effective 1st 11, however if any of them are out we have almost Zero in reserve. Assuming no more player sales I can see the team being:

Goalkeeper, hopefully a signing if not Phillips.

Solly, Tex, Johnson (Bauer when back), Fox,

Holmes, Croft, Jackson, Harriet/Lookman

Ajose & Lookman, substitute Lookman to midfield/behind the front 2 if Novak fit

That team should be competitive against most of league 1, but we are short of cover in almost all positions i'd say.

Better find reserve then, because at least one of those starting midfield won't be here by the end of next week
    Hmm @madadd is this true or an assumption? I assume Lookman or Harriet. We need 8 players still in my opinion, 2x keepers, 1x RB, 1x CB, 1x winger, 2x creative CM, 1x striker. That assumes no one leaves.

Slade has gone from 5/6 a few days back to an unconvincing 5 (can't remember his words this time around). We will be short no doubt and this is dawning on him.

He won't resign, he seems ok from what he has said but I can't see a queue of clubs for him. He is in career last chance saloon with us which is why his last two jobs have been with 2 owners most 'in demand' managers would simply turn down.
    I heard a few weeks back that Harriott and Lookman would be gone by August. Can't remember which thread but I posted it a while back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Football fans are naturally fickle. However, no one can disagree we have been completely shafted by the person hiding in Belgium.

They have not even tried to hide the fact that they do not have Charlton's best intentions at heart.

20 players have left since May 7th and 4 replacements.

I cannot see anything but a long disappointed season.

September 17th (AFC Wimbledon) at home could potentially be the biggest day in our recent history.

• Options

vff said:
    Quite liked the sound of that. Slade comes across a bit swan-like, calm, smooth on the surface and paddling like crazy under the surface getting the real business done. just as any good manager should be. I'm starting to feel a bit more reassured after all the doom and gloom that's been on this site in the past week. Roll on next week and Bury away.
    Welcome back Colin.
  • Options
    I had a couple of clowns behind me who thought we should stop being nasty to Katrien and all the swearing and rude songs are out of order.....FFS!!!!
  • Options

I had a couple of clowns behind me who thought we should stop being nasty to Katrien and all the swearing and rude songs are out of order.....FFS!!!!

Ignorance is bliss.

Mind you, the silly f***** is especially keen coming from Manchester to see this stuff.

• Options

Tim Peake and Lord Lucan?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Disappointed that Slade signed 30 something Croft after a very short trial, following years of few games due to injury, not rated by those that saw friendlies and he has been poor since. Reputation before performance. Foley seems cut from same cloth. Prefer potential like Gobern than ancient history.

Can see half the squad leaving next June (again!!!).
  • Options

Ignorance is bliss.

Mind you, the silly f***** is especially keen coming from Manchester to see this stuff.

You can forget the teamsheets and entrance tickets from Austria, I'll pass them onto Henry Irving and the museum. I was standing next to the so called silly f*****, who happens to be a friend of mine. On a serious note this abuse of Charlton fans who happen to have a different view to yours is rather sad.
  • Options

Not buying the "extra game" line from RS. We've only played one side that can be properly evaluated against our team and the time for messing around isn't the last game before kick-off.

Fully accept the problems are not down to him, but that line-up was very strange and for the first ten minutes we hardly touched the ball as the Dutch passed around us.

He'll be out by the end of
    September. I think it's time for card to rethink their stance for the first home game ( not suggesting this is for you to decide, Airman).
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Not buying the "extra game" line from RS. We've only played one side that can be properly evaluated against our team and the time for messing around isn't the last game before kick-off.

Fully accept the problems are not down to him, but that line-up was very strange and for the first ten minutes we hardly touched the ball as the Dutch passed around us.

Agree, this is not the way to prepare a team for the first game of the season. He's fire-fighting and has only 7 days left to put in a team pattern, team structure, attacking set plays and cover Bury's set plays from their Friendlies. Even if he can bring in 5 or 6 players that's almost impossible to achieve. If he thought he could back himself to succeed where others have failed, or thought the internal war between the club and it's hard core support was being exaggerated, he's finding out the hard way. Up shit creek without a paddle.
    My point from earlier was, have we seen any indication of this? In the Austria friendlies the answer was clearly no. Since returning, it frankly doesn't sound like it either.

Even if we get 5-6 in, over the course of a season it's possible that he'll at some point need to pick a team from these players due to injuries, suspensions, etc. He certainly didn't pick an optimal team. And in the 3-5-2 with two holding players, do we really need to look at yet another defensive formation?
  • Options

vff said:

I remember a previous Charlton game against Vincenza, under Curbs Charlton winning 3-1. It was a lively match, and Charlton looked incredibly, sharp, well drilled and ready for a season in the premiership. Vincenza had also been promoted to the Italian Serie A. Charlton were ahead in the pre season preparation and were much fitter than the Italians, who put in some bad tackles. Good crowd for the friendly. Charlton went on to have an excellent season in the premeirship.

Scroll forward, 1,600 allegedly today, 2 stands closed and a team clearly not ready for the start of the season. Meire is so clueless, she does not know, how badly the club is failing under her & Duchatelet. What a state of affairs

She does not care.

On the way out she was laughing and joking with two other women in the directors box, not a care in the world.
    What a vile human being. Get out of our club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kafka said:

vff said:

I remember a previous Charlton game against Vincenza, under Curbs Charlton winning 3-1. It was a lively match, and Charlton looked incredibly, sharp, well drilled and ready for a season in the premiership. Vincenza had also been promoted to the Italian Serie A. Charlton were ahead in the pre season preparation and were much fitter than the Italians, who put in some bad tackles. Good crowd for the friendly. Charlton went on to have an excellent season in the premeirship.

Scroll forward, 1,600 allegedly today, 2 stands closed and a team clearly not ready for the start of the season. Meire is so clueless, she does not know, how badly the club is failing under her & Duchatelet. What a state of affairs

She does not care.

On the way out she was laughing and joking with two other women in the directors box, not a care in the world.
    What a vile human being. Get out of our club.
    Vile is an excellent word for her.
    I genuinely despise the woman. She is an enemy to all true Charlton fans.

• Options
    The first half was just awful. The changes at half -time made an impact and the game improved slightly. I would say Solly, Holmes and Lookman were our best players. Hanlon and Konsa looked useful. Sounds like Teixiera is on his way which will leave us struggling at the back.
  • Options
    The football club is f*cked.

Roland duchatelet and his pet are awful human beings
  • Options
    The original point that he was to prove has failed.

He had 2 choices. To either seriously make up for the mistakes and put in the required effort to get the club back on track...so he could perhaps do the experiment again in the championship

Or to take the piss.

He chose to take the piss.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The Douchbag is worse than a mad professor, hell bent on making his hair brained scheme work, despite it's obvious failure. It's shear bloddy mindedness now as he gives instructions to cut costs and sell, sell, sell as much of his stock as possible in the vain hope of keeping his dream alive.

He will call it a day at some point but there is likely to be more pain before he sets us free. The fight goes on to convince him to make that decision sooner rather than later failing which the only alternative will have to be the formation AFC Charlton.
  • Options
    Holmes and Ajose played in different halves today.

Holmes was much better than o expected, looks surprisingly good at this level.

Foley and croft looked pretty ordinary.
  • Options
    Stig said:

The analogy for me is that we’re spinning plates. We’re negotiating, there’s one or two that we would hope drop in the early part of the week as clubs make final decisions".

Sorry Russell, but It doesn't look as though you understand what spinning plates is all about.

He understands KM's version....