Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Legendary concerts you were at...?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Guns n Roses at the Marquee in '87. I was still at school but went with my older brother who had got me into the band. It was also my very first gig. I waited a further three years before I managed to get to another gig which was another 'legendary' though much lower profile and only legendary with fans of the band. It was Faith no More live at Brixton in 1990 which went on to become the 'You Fat Bastards' live album and video.
  • Options
    Not legendary (yet), but Foo Fighters at Milton Keynes last year with Dave Grohl on his custom made 'throne' for his broken leg.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Pedro45 said:

Bananarama - Golders Green 1983. Their first ever live gig

Keren Woodward is fitttt.
    Was. Although on reflection (Google) she still is.
  • Options
    Led Zep at Knebworth 1979 which I believe was the last gig in the uk that included Bonham. Saw the again the following year in Mainheim Germany.
  • Options

The Kinks at the Rainbow '72 and '77, London Palladium '74
    Bowie at Earls Court '73
    Lou Reed, Rainbow '73
    Led Zeppelin, Ally Pally '71?

Not sure that any of them felt legendary at the time or since, but I enjoyed them all except Zeppelin ( love the band, but not impressed, audience annoyed me - emperor's new clothes and all that)

They're all pretty legendary in my book & I am extremely jealous!! All before I was born but massive acts from music history
  • Options
    Yes - 78
    John Martyn - Leeds Folk 79
    Floyd- The Wall- Earl's Court
    Genesis - Lyceum
    Kilburn and the High roads - Dublin Castle 77
    Roy Harper - LSE
    Zep- Knebworth

• Options
    Pedro45 said:

Pedro45 said:

Bananarama - Golders Green 1983. Their first ever live gig

Keren Woodward is fitttt.
    And she was then too. I knew them quite well. I went through different phases of fancying them all. Siobhan sister went out with someone I worked with (Gary Crowley) and she was very nice too!
    BBC London's GC? Not that it matters but I thought he's gay.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Nirvana 3rd on the bill to L7 and Godflesh at The Astoria circa 1990.

Nirvana at Reading in 1992.

Oasis at the Marquee around the mid 90s.

Snuff farewell gig at The Kilburn National circa 1990.

Loads at the New Cross Venue - Hole, Carter USM, Mudhoney, New Model Army and Oasis again.

Was also at the Oasis Venue gig with Shed Seven and Cast (I think). Brilliant night, can't believe how busy it was.
  • Options

U2 at The Lycium before they were famous about 1981/2. Brilliant

Oh the Good old days were the Best !

Was at that U2 gig. Was support The Skids?
    Also Led Zep Knebworth.
    The Who Lewisham Odeon supported by Dire Straits.
    Too many others I can't recall but many a happy night at The Bridge House Canning Town.
  • Options

Did anyone on this board ever see The Beatles live?

I never went when they were at the Granada Woolwich, Roy Orbison was top of the bill, Love me Do had just come out, I should think it was 1963.
    I was gutted afterwards that I had missed them and not long after that the Granada became a bingo hall, from the Beatles to bingo
  • Options
    Lynrd Sknrd- Think it was Finsbury Park 77 - one of their last gigs b4 the plane crash.Freebird still one of my all time favourites
  • Options
    Another at Knebworth for Oasis...I left shortly after they came on as thought they were rubbish....I had actually gone to see Manic Street Preachers for some bizarre reason...

Meant to have been at the Manics gig at Warwick Uni in around 1990, but it was cancelled as Richie Manic carved '4 Real' into his arm with a razor blade...

(I'm not actually a Manics fan....)

Nsynch's first UK appearance at the 100 Club (industry do...)...Lance was the star...how he never made it and Justin Timberlake did is beyond me ;-)

Every time I see the Cure I think they're legendary...
  • Options

Lynrd Sknrd- Think it was Finsbury Park 77 - one of their last gigs b4 the plane crash.Freebird still one of my all time favourites

Ha. Portsmouth, I think 74. Skynrd were supporting Golden Earring, one of my all time favourite bands. Unfortunately, and only after we all got there, it was announced Skynrd couldn't play. Fair to say a lot of people had come to see them rather than the Earring,and there was a lot of booing. It got worse. Not once but twice, once during the first band, the Twinkies or something, and then when the Earring got started we were evacuated because of "bomb threats'. FFS. But the Earring got through it and won the crowd over. Until we got outside, and it all kicked off.

• Options
    Queen at the Greyhound Croydon, 1974.
    They were much better then than their later years imo.
  • Options
    Tommy Cooper - Her Majesty's Theatre 1984
  • Options
    libertines at the tap n tin chatham in 2003 is somewhat legendary. it was supposed to be a solo pete doherty gig, his first after leaving prison but the rest of the band turned up unannounced. they stopped playing once the ambulance turned up to take one of them to hospital
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh I saw Spice Girls on the reunion tour a few years back too, that was Legendarily shit
  • Options
    Most bizarre running order - Stuttgart Neckarstadion 1985: U2 (already with a string of early hits) playing second fiddle to Chris De Burgh, the headline act. CHRIS DE BURGH! (and this was before his monstrously awful Lady in Red)

In retrospect, I think this must have been the trigger point for Bono to expand his ego and up-his-own-arse-ness - a process that has seemingly continued unabated for the last 31 years.

Other acts that day: The Alarm (good), Joe Cocker (pissed), an energetic Italian lady called Gianna Nannini and REO Speedwagen (dire, but good comedy value).
  • Options
    Saw The Alarm at Tramshed, Woolwich. Went back stage for drinks after although seem to recall it was a cup of tea!!
  • Options

Mid 90's, band spoken about in the music press as the next great thing, anyone in London who knew anything about music was going, sold out, touts in the street, Kentish Town was abuzz, gigg was great, band superb....

Whatever happened to Echobelly.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

The Jam in Brighton (last gig)

Numerous Icicle Works gigs at the Town & Country club (usually by the speakers)

Live 8 at Hyde Park (notable for me for Coldplay/Richard Ashcroft, The Killers, The Who & Pink Floyd)

Madstock at Finsbury Park for the "earthquake"

The Verve at Brixton for a Shelter gig

Primal Scream at Hard Rock Cafe (100 people, free, including the beer)

Icicle Works - Do you follow Ian McNabb on Facebook? Very entertaining fellow
  • Options
    ashley said:

Spandau Ballet - HMS Belfast early 80s

Was there too 1980 to be exact - And at The Scala a while later - I think they recorded one of them for a programme called 20th Century Box with Janet Street Porter and Robert elms
  • Options
    Pink Floyd hyde park free concert
    Stones Hyde Park Free concert
    Queen Hyde Park.Free concert
    ELP Melody maker Poll winners concert Oval with Focus etc.
    ELP: Lewisham Odeon.
    Pink Floyd Earls court.
    Free: sound check for 'Free Live', Croydon. Fairfield Hall.
    Who Lewisham Odeon.
    Rory Gallagher: with taste Lyceum, Black Prince, Lyceum Midnight court, with stone the crows.
    Festival Hall. Several times at the Marque Wardour street.
    Roxy Music: Greyhound Croydon
    Peter Frampton, Humphreys half moon, San Diego.
    Thunderclap Newman Goldsmiths art college.
    Amen Corner, Greenwich Town hall.
    Jack Bruce: New Victoria theatre London mid 70s.
    Dizzy Gillepsie Ronnie Scotts, circa early 80s.

• Options
    Oasis' last ever show at Wembley Stadium a month before they broke up.

Rage Against The Machine did a free gig to 80,000 people in Finsbury Park in 2010 to celebrate being UK number 1 at Christmas. Their guitarist has described this as the most ultimate show they've ever played.
  • Options
    Also - Joy Division, U2 and Simple Minds at The Lyceum (separate gigs - I guess not necessarily legendary, but before they all got famous), likewise Depeche Mode at the Bridge House. The Damned (playing as School Bullies) at the Bridge House too.
  • Options
    Not me, but I feel its worth a mention...

My dad saw Jimi Hendrix at The Black Prince, I guess 1966?