Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Legendary concerts you were at...?

Comments

• Options
    Pink Floyd & T Rex, Hyde Park open air 1968

Bruce Springsteen, Wembley Arena 1981
  • Options
    Captain Beefheart at the Venue in Victoria.

Rolling stones with Black Uhuru & J Geils band @ Wembley stadium
  • Options
    Tom Waits at the Apollo Theatre Victoria.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Badger said:

Joy Divsion supporting the Cure at the Marquee.

The Cure are still brilliant. I saw them last year and am seeing them again in December.

They played for over 3 hours non stop and they sounded exactly the same as always.

Robert Smith - legend.
  • Options
    The Jesus and Mary Chain at North London Poly.
  • Options
    Badger said:

I saw them perform Psychocandy last year in it's entirety at Austin Psych Fest - probably my favourite LP by my favourite band. Didn't see them until 1988 - but many, many times since...
  • Options
    Coventry Automatics who later became the Specials supporting Tanz der Youth(Brian James of the Damned) at the Nashville rooms Kensington.

The Heartbreakers and 999 and the Fruit Eating Bears at Stockwell college in Bromley.
  • Options
    http://www.bradfordtimeline.co.uk/mindex62g.htm
    I bet a few on here went regularly to these package tours. Used to go straight from school, often buy a ticket on the door...must have done all the Granadas of London....remember particularly the 1962 Little Richard and Sam Cooke package.
  • Options

Maybe not legendary but memorable for me......

Slade at Goldsmiths College. Not 'fashionable' at the time but a rockin great gig.
    The Blues band at the Town and Country Club. All the band from the movie without Jake and Elwood, Maybe someone can remind me who sang for them?
    Big Country at The Astoria. Still like the band to this day.
    Genesis at the Marquee club, 'Secret' warm up gig before a gig at Milton Keynes Bowl. I was watching the gig next to Fish from Marillion.
    Albert Lee at The Tramshead. Fabulous guitarist.
    Peter Gabriel at Earls Court on the SO tour. Just magical.

I was at the Blues Brothers Band gig. Eddie Floyd was the main vocalist with them but I seem to remember Sam Moore being there as well. Incidentally, I have a ticket to see Steve Cropper at Ronnie Scotts in November.

Others for me:

The Who at The Valley (of course)
    Genesis at The Coliseum supporting Lindisfarne (also went to Lewisham Odeon on the same tour) and at Theatre Royal Drury Land as well as the reopening night at The Rainbow plus the Gabriel reunion gig at Milton Keynes Bowl.
    Free at the Albert Hall circa 1973
    Wishbone Ash at The Marquee, generally regarded as the loudest gig ever at that venue as the band were playing Wembley Empire Pool a few days later and seemed to be playing at the volume needed for that gig.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Squeeze on Blackheath playing peasants against poll tax gig.
  • Options

Now that was a gig
  • Options
    Badger said:

As I mentioned earlier, I was there with my girlfriend, now wife. We were both looking forward to it and felt short changed. The riot is now more legendary than the music. I saw JAMC doing Psycho Candy at the Troxy recently and they were the loudest band I have seen in years.
  • Options

Didn't someone connected to Charlton work for the Nolans as a tour manager or something?

Could have been Jim Davidson as he seemed to hit it off well with Linda in the big brother house :wink:
  • Options

http://www.bradfordtimeline.co.uk/mindex62g.htm
    I bet a few on here went regularly to these package tours. Used to go straight from school, often buy a ticket on the door...must have done all the Granadas of London....remember particularly the 1962 Little Richard and Sam Cooke package.

I never saw Little Richard or Sam Cooke would have loved to have seen both of them.
    Saw Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent at Granada's East Ham and Woolwich
    Chuck Berry and the Animals Granada Woolwich
    Del Shannon Granada Woolwich and a very young Rolling Stones at Granada Woolwich
    I' m so jealous JS5.
    Sadly I was only 10 when the Stones played the Granada Woolwich
    Don't want to wish myself older now, but would love to have seen any or all the artists you mention.
    My only appearance at the Granada Woolwich in '64 was to see Mary Poppins with my mum!
    Was already into the music though.
  • Options
    Am I the only person ever to have seen Arthur Brown live?
    It was at the Middle Earth Covent Garden.
    Pitch black underground, and his live performance, with lights, and ultraviolet lighting on specially painted luminous clothing, set, and make up was astonishing. His vocal range was god knows how many octaves, and remains one of the most memorable live performances I have ever seen.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Pitch black underground, and his live performance, with lights, and ultraviolet lighting on specially painted luminous clothing, set, and make up was astonishing. His vocal range was god knows how many octaves, and remains one of the most memorable live performances I have ever seen.

No, I've seen that show to but think it was at Thames Poly??
  • Options
    This thread has made me seriously jealous. Would have loved to have seen the likes of Buddy Holly, Led Zep, Patti Smith, Beefheart and The Beatles. Don't think there are any acts today that you can place with those names.

I think the late '50s to early/mid '70s was the golden era for music and popular culture in general. You oldies are lucky to have lived through it. :smile:
  • Options

seth plum said:

No, I've seen that show to but think it was at Thames Poly??
    Me too at Thames Poly - early 70s.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Oasis at The Venue
    Pulp both at The Venue and Glastonbury in 95.
    Reading 92, Levellers at Glastonbury that year blew the place apart too.
    "Last ever" Wonder Stuff gig at The Phoenix Festival, supported by Carter
    First Beautiful South gig in London ever, T and C 2 1988
    Last ever Beautiful South gig in London at Hammersmith, 2006.
    The Cure at Wembley 1989, 4 hours non stop.
    Due to age didn't see them first time round, Sex Pistols Finsbury Park 1996, with Iggy Pop, Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers and loads more.

This has reminded me of one. Wonderstuff at Fellows Park (Old Walsall Ground). Can't remember the year but must have been around 1991.

The Hives at a party hosted by Alan Mcgee. It was a small club with no stage. Again can't remember the year.

Not a legendary gig, but was utterly amazing - Dr Phibes and the House of Wax Equations at Glastonbury circa 1995. *the gig may or may not have been enhanced by some bonkers acid the lead singer gave us*

Spiritualized at The Royal Albert Hall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

I saw him with the Pretty Things when they played the whole of SF Sorrow. He narrated then a swift solo set. I saw him again a couple of years ago doing a full set at a psychedelic night in the basement of a record shop in Soho
  • Options
    My Czech buddy on his anorak radio show played image

#Radio 1, Staré poledne #Playlist, Sat. 27 AUG, Song #4 PAUL KOSSOFF and BACK STREET CRAWLER LP Live in Croydon 1975 Stealing my way

— Tomáš Vydra, DJ (@Starepoledne) August 27, 2016 " />this this morning

Paul Kossoff and Back Street Crawler, Live in Croydon 1975.

Never even knew it happened (I was away from London that year) but the track he played was an absolute corker. I'm going to try and get the album. I suppose it was either the Greyhound or Fairfield Halls.

Anyone there, perchance, and if so was it anywhere near legendary?
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Did anyone see Bob Marley live? He played London quite a few times including several shows in Peckham in the early days...

Bob Marley and the Wailers at Kaiserslautern in 79/80? Absolutely fantastic gig that Fleetwood Mac headlined (Rumours tour).
  • Options

Millionaire (or very rich rock stars at least) in 'we're peasants' shocker. Was English Bob there an all?
  • Options

Oasis at The Venue
    Due to age didn't see them first time round, Sex Pistols Finsbury Park 1996, with Iggy Pop, Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers and loads more.

This has reminded me of one. Wonderstuff at Fellows Park (Old Walsall Ground). Can't remember the year but must have been around 1991.

The Hives at a party hosted by Alan Mcgee. It was a small club with no stage. Again can't remember the year.

Not a legendary gig, but was utterly amazing - Dr Phibes and the House of Wax Equations at Glastonbury circa 1995. *the gig may or may not have been enhanced by some bonkers acid the lead singer gave us*

Lead singer with Dr Phibes, Howard King, had a psychotic breakdown (too many drugs) and ended up stabbing his own mum to death. He was at my place when I first joined the prison service and I got on really well with him though he was by then a huge space cadet. Sad really.
  • Options

Oasis at The Venue

Lead singer with Dr Phibes, Howard King, had a psychotic breakdown (too many drugs) and ended up stabbing his own mum to death. He was at my place when I first joined the prison service and I got on really well with him though he was by then a huge space cadet. Sad really.
    Didn't know that - sad...
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Oakster said:

Did anyone see Bob Marley live? He played London quite a few times including several shows in Peckham in the early days...

Bob Marley and the Wailers at Kaiserslautern in 79/80? Absolutely fantastic gig that Fleetwood Mac headlined (Rumours tour).
    I believe that may challenge Buddy Holly.
  • Options

Oasis at The Venue

Yes read that a while back.

To be honest if the acid he gave us was anything to go by it isn't a surprise.
  • Options
    Napalm Death at The Venue
  • Options

Napalm Death at The Venue

I was at that as well. Was Barney Greenway the singer for this one?

Mate of mine drank two bottles of MD 20/20 before the gig and was all over the shop. We assumed he'd been thrown out, but at the end we saw a pair of doc martins sticking out from under the stage and found him asleep underneath said stage! Falling asleep at a Napalm Death gig is quite some achievement.