Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Legendary concerts you were at...?

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:

Having read through this thread Lifers have seen almost every legend in music.
    It would be interesting to see a similar thread in 30 years what with the shit that kids have to listen to now.

It will mostly be us lot in our seventies , eighties and nineties making even less sense
  • Options
    Greenie said:

It would be interesting to see a similar thread in 30 years what with the shit that kids have to listen to now.

True to a degree. The thread in thirty years time would still have musical legends that we may not even have heard yet - but there won't be as many.

I suppose it's a symptom of 'time and place'. Everything was changing in the 60s and for that reason alone it would make it more memorable. I still believe, despite some seriously good stuff since (and now) that the 60s and 70s was the greatest period for legends to be born but there was also a hell of a lot of crap around at the same time.
  • Options
    Been to loads in the last 15 years or so, but ones that stand out I can think of off the top of my head are...

The Maccabees @ Matter
    Pendulum @ SE1
    Foals @ Village Underground
    The Charlatans in Sacramento
    Arctic Monkeys in Barcelona
    Foals @ Kesselhaus, Berlin
  • Options

Been to loads in the last 15 years or so, but ones that stand out I can think of off the top of my head are...

The Maccabees @ Matter
    Pendulum @ SE1

Pendulum mad old band
  • Options
    edited August 2016

The Maccabees @ Matter
    Pendulum @ SE1

Pendulum mad old band
    Was a big fan in their early days, went to see them a lot with my Dad. But seeing them at SE1 was mental, the acoustics in there suited them brilliantly, considering a couple of years later they were huge and playing main stages of festivals etc. Seeing them in such a small venue was great. Their album launch show @ Matter was really good too.
  • Options

The Maccabees @ Matter
    Pendulum @ SE1

Pendulum mad old band
    Bunch of swingers
  • Options
    I have enjoyed this thread and have added a few comments. That said, 'legendary' is obviously a very subjective concept.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Haha.
    Congratulations Greenie you've reached that landmark in life where you sound like your own parents :smile:
    PS I agree
    Lol, I think I hit that plateau about 10 years ago mate.

Seriously where are all the new mega bands, you know, young musicians who have a voice and something to say, form a band, write some free thinking legendary songs and go on for 30 years. I think I read somewhere that The Stones and U2 and possibly Coldplay (spit) are the biggest grossing touring bands. The Stones are all 70+ U2 are over 50 and Chris Martin is knocking on the door of 40. Wheres the next mega band or is the mainstream suffocated by wannabe X-Factor quick fix soundalike puppet clones?
  • Options
    I would of loved to have seen someone had been to an Elvis concert on here,and no not Costello! I've been to many concerts but none would come into the legendary bracket
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The definition of legendary is obviously subjective.
    One concert I have heard about was when Little Feat were the support band to the Doobie Brothers at the rainbow Finsbury Park.
    I wasn't there but the story goes that the Doobies simply did not want to play because they felt the couldn't follow Little Feat who tore the place to shreds musically. It was apparently well over an hour before they shuffled on to get their set over and done with.
    That sounds like a genuinely legendary evening, was anybody on this forum there?
  • Options

Buddy Holly-Granada Woolwich March 1958

Seriously Johnny? Now that takes some beating.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Pedro45 said:

Bananarama - Golders Green 1983. Their first ever live gig

Must have been epic!! Did they actually sing live?
  • Options
    My Nan used to go to a lot of London shows and get the musicians to autograph her programme after the show. Once a young guy came out and signed her book and she said that she didn't have a clue who he was. He realised this and started chatting, telling her it was his first time in England, he was the harmonica player and his name was Larry Adler. She said he was a really nice guy and was glad when his career took off as it did.

Unfortunately, she didn't keep the programme (or any of the others she collected)
  • Options

Buddy Holly-Granada Woolwich March 1958

Seriously Johnny? Now that takes some beating.
    It shows I am getting old
  • Options
    Did anyone see Bob Marley live? He played London quite a few times including several shows in Peckham in the early days...
  • Options
    The Image -The Prince Albert, Royal Hill, Blackheath 1966. One of the Grovers bit through the drummer's nose.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Did anyone see Bob Marley live? He played London quite a few times including several shows in Peckham in the early days...

No, saw The Wailers at Le Mans in 99 though.
  • Options
    I saw the Nolan sisters on their world tour at woolwich odeon. Not as glamorous as some of you, I'll admit that and I did bunk in. Since then Jools Holland at the Albert hall a couple of times and thats it. :(
  • Options
    edited August 2016

The Image -The Prince Albert, Royal Hill, Blackheath 1966. One of the Grovers bit through the drummer's nose.

Had some gun and games in there back in the day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T.C.E said:

I saw the Nolan sisters on their world tour at woolwich odeon. Not as glamorous as some of you, I'll admit that and I did bunk in. Since then Jools Holland at the Albert hall a couple of times and thats it. :(

Coleen Nolan, oh yes.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

It's a small world. One of my earliest gigs (strangely not one I mention). Support band were Car Park, who doubled up as the Nolans backing band.

• Options
    Mrkinski said:

T.C.E said:

It's a small world. One of my earliest gigs (strangely not one I mention). Support band were Car Park, who doubled up as the Nolans backing band.

I think I got in via the Car park, small world indeed. ;)
  • Options
    Didn't someone connected to Charlton work for the Nolans as a tour manager or something?
  • Options

Didn't someone connected to Charlton work for the Nolans as a tour manager or something?

They resigned
  • Options
    Not mentioned by anyone here I don't think, and I'm not sure it was a legendary concert, but it certainly was legendarily wet!

Jean Michel Jarre's Destination Docklands concert in a derelict bit of the Victoria Docks near Silvertown, back in 1988. Delayed due to planning issues, so was eventually held in October...
  • Options
    I was at the "Shoegaze Woodstock" in Slough - Ride, Slowdive, Curve, Revolver, ummm Thousand Yard Stare & the er.. Mock Turtles

http://www.soniccathedral.co.uk/slough25/

I think it was a nice day out, had a few too many & don't recall much of it - good job I had seen all those bands about a million times already...

• Options

Les. A regular at Charlton games, home and away, when he wasn't working
  • Options
    Joy Divsion supporting the Cure at the Marquee.
  • Options
    Pere Ubu at Chislehurst caves.