Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Legendary concerts you were at...?

Comments

• Options
    Badger said:

Greenie said:

Not me, but I feel its worth a mention...

My dad saw Jimi Hendrix at The Black Prince, I guess 1966?

Jesus Christ, would I have liked to have seen that. Think he played the Bromley Court and Chiselhurst Caves as well on that tour. I saw Rory Gallagher at the Black Prince, and Uriah Heep, it was so loud with the low ceiling, the sound bounced off the floor and hit you right in the stomach. Not 'very umble', but certainly heavy. Gallagher played with his vox ac30, on two chairs. Best blues I ever heard!.
    Hendrix did play the Bromley court hotel.
    My old man was there for that one. A few other big names also played there, seems mad thinking about it.

• Options
    Late to the party on this one but was at Oasis at Knebworth just over 20 years ago
  • Options
    Talking of which, did anyone see Oasis at the Venue back in the day?
    We drove past in a mate's car (he'd just passed his driving test) and saw a big queue outside. Asked our other mate who was in a band what was going on and he said a new band were playing.
    "Are they any good?"
    "Nope - just a bunch of mouthy gits from Manchester!"
  • Options
    Splodgenessabounds at The Tramshed at Woolwich.
  • Options
    Bauhaus at Hammersmith Palais 5/7/1983. Last gig before they split and no prior notice of their demise. If everyone who says they were there were actually there then it would have been a bit uncomfortable in the Palais. Subsequently have made a few comebacks.
  • Options
    Onlyme said:

Splodgenessabounds at The Tramshed at Woolwich.

I was meant to go to this, but missed it, I heard some stories......
  • Options
    Jam penultimate in Guildford.
    Police on Tooting Common supported by Citizen Smith
    Madness at Hammersmith Odeon, not a special gig but one I enjoyed most. The circle pews were literally rocking.
    Q-Tips at Astoria 82/83 one of last gigs b4 Paul Young bottled.
  • Options
    Genesis at the Lewisham Odeon, with Peter Gabriel in full fox-head mask & red dress, supporting Lindisfarne - 1972.
    Genesis at Knebworth, where the light display as the sun went down was absolutely stunning - 1978. I remember Tom Petty, Jefferson Starship & Devo were also on the bill that day.
    Barclay James Harvest at the Royal Festival Hall, with a full symphony orchestra - 1975.

Now that's got me remembering.... "Rain, sea, surf, sand, clouds & sky. Hush, now baby don't you cry. There's a mockingbird singing songs in the trees. There's a mockingbird singing songs just for you & me......."
  • Options
    U2 at the Rock Garden, Covent Garden.
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Led Zep, Knebworth
    Led Zep, Earls Court
    The Who, Charlton 2nd one
    Eddie and the Hot Rods, Marquee, recorded released as an EP
    Thin Lizzy, Greyhound Croydon (another mention for this venue - they had some great bands there)

Been to hundreds of other gigs, but these fit the criteria of being legendary (with the exception of the Lizzy one, maybe).

I was at the Who Lewisham Odeon gig but to my shame, I don't remember the support act, which I read above was Dire Straits!

Nine Below Zero

I didn't think they were too shabby either
    Cor blimey, you know more about gigs I've been to than I do lol! Which one of the above were Nine Below Zero at?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oasis last concert at the old Wembley stadium

Ditto.
  • Options

Talking of which, did anyone see Oasis at the Venue back in the day?
    We drove past in a mate's car (he'd just passed his driving test) and saw a big queue outside. Asked our other mate who was in a band what was going on and he said a new band were playing.
    "Are they any good?"
    "Nope - just a bunch of mouthy gits from Manchester!"

I was there Kinveachy. Only got in as went every weekend and was on friendly terms with the big bouncer we called 'The Norseman'. Didn't even have to queue, think it was something like a fiver. Met Bonehead afterwards.

The place was absolutely packed. Great night.

• Options
    One for us soul boys ! 1976 ish

Heatwave supported Tavares at the New Victoria theatre and blew them out of the water completely . Then in next few months took off big time. Remeber Rod Temperton from Heatwave then went on to write with and for Michael Jackson.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

Led Zep, Knebworth
    Led Zep, Earls Court
    Thin Lizzy, Greyhound Croydon (another mention for this venue - they had some great bands there)

Been to hundreds of other gigs, but these fit the criteria of being legendary (with the exception of the Lizzy one, maybe).

I was at the Who Lewisham Odeon gig but to my shame, I don't remember the support act, which I read above was Dire Straits!

Nine Below Zero

Cor blimey, you know more about gigs I've been to than I do lol! Which one of the above were Nine Below Zero at?
    The Who
  • Options
    Prince at the Lyceum.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

Led Zep, Knebworth
    Led Zep, Earls Court

Nine Below Zero

Nine Below Zero are still playing and are well worth going to see if you can. Play a lot of local gigs.
  • Options
    Nine below zero at the Marquee club.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Badger said:

Greenie said:

Not me, but I feel its worth a mention...

My dad saw Jimi Hendrix at The Black Prince, I guess 1966?

Jesus Christ, would I have liked to have seen that. Think he played the Bromley Court and Chiselhurst Caves as well on that tour. I saw Rory Gallagher at the Black Prince, and Uriah Heep, it was so loud with the low ceiling, the sound bounced off the floor and hit you right in the stomach. Not 'very umble', but certainly heavy. Gallagher played with his vox ac30, on two chairs. Best blues I ever heard!.
    Hendrix did play the Bromley court hotel.
    My old man was there for that one. A few other big names also played there, seems mad thinking about it.

Hendrix did a tour with The Move, Pink Floyd and The Nice about that time. There was poster up at that Rock Exhibition at the O2 from when they played Torquay Town Hall, I think it was about ten bob (50p to the younger folk on here) to get in.
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

Led Zep, Knebworth
    Led Zep, Earls Court

Nine Below Zero

Nine Below Zero are still playing and are well worth going to see if you can. Play a lot of local gigs.
    Yea, I know. Will pop and see them (again) soon.
  • Options
    Prince at Wembley Arena - with Sting & Ronnie Wood joining him on The Stones 'Miss You'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just remembered this one - The Police at Lewisham Odeon supported by Squeeze (a help a London child show)
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Ever been to a concert that became legendary - even if just amongst that artists fan base?

I have been to many hundreds of shows but cannot really claim that more than a small handful were legendary.

Certainly The Stone Roses at Spike Island in 1990 or Arthur Lee's Liverpool Academy Show in 1992.

Struggling to think of more..am sure there are much better examples from the CL musos.

I saw Arthur Lee the day before at either the T&C2 or could have been the Garage he played both in the early 90s. The first time he had played in the UK since 1975. His backing band were Shack.

Most there had never heard him play. After the first song someone shouted out 'I can die now'.

I also saw Bjork play at the Tramshed with about twenty others when she was fronting the sugarcubes.

• Options
    The Jam at Bromley Technical College.
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:

Prince at Wembley Arena - with Sting & Ronnie Wood joining him on The Stones 'Miss You'

I saw him at Wembley in 90 (the night before I went to Glastonbury)
  • Options
    milo said:

Oakster said:

Ever been to a concert that became legendary - even if just amongst that artists fan base?

I have been to many hundreds of shows but cannot really claim that more than a small handful were legendary.

Certainly The Stone Roses at Spike Island in 1990 or Arthur Lee's Liverpool Academy Show in 1992.

Struggling to think of more..am sure there are much better examples from the CL musos.

I saw Arthur Lee the day before at either the T&C2 or could have been the Garage he played both in the early 90s. The first time he had played in the UK since 1975. His backing band were Shack.

Most there had never heard him play. After the first song someone shouted out 'I can die now'.

I also saw Bjork play at the Tramshed with about twenty others when she was fronting the sugarcubes.

The Liverpool show was amazing - it was released as an LP but it doesn't capture just what a phenomenal night that was. Arthur wasn't long out of prison & the whole thing was very emotional. i met him the day after signing records in a local store, he wasn't all there to put it mildly.

http://www.getintothis.co.uk/2016/02/lost-liverpool-6-arthur-lee-shack-bring-california-sunshine-wolstenholme-square/
  • Options
    Perhaps not legendary but seeing Eminem (and Dre) in the flesh at Wembley was a bit special. Two of the very best in your home town, don't get much better than that.

Many big bands at numerous reading festivals over the years.

Also the Courteeners at Heaton park.
    Not the best gig, and the crowd was mostly coked up teenagers but to follow the band from the early years to seeing them play to 25,000 was good.
  • Options
    It is great to see so many on here that I saw too.

Some unusual ones were seeing Spanish classical guitarist Sergovia playing at Catford in about 1985 or so, as a very old man indeed.
    Saw the first Flying Pickets gig at the Albany where they were not on the bill but kind of gatecrashed the interval.
    Kate and Anna McGarrigal twice, once at the Fairfield Hall once at the Savoy Theatre where they were astonishingly almost sweating music each time.
    The "Dark side of the Moon' original concert at Wembley with the circular film.
    The Who and all those others at each Valley concert.
    Roy Harper playing his Valentine album on the day of it's release (Valentines Day) at the Rainbow.
    Bunked into the Crystal Palace bowl and say Floyd, but very impressively supported by the original Faces before Rod Stewart went solo.
    The Pink Fairies all over London, because they were always playing somewhere most weekends.
    That Lou Reed 'Rock and Roll Animal' concert at the Rainbow (mentioned above), very good that one.
    Zeppelin at the Ally Pally, Earls Court and Knebworth...and the jason Bonham one at the O2.
    Bob Dylan at Earls Court. Blackbush.

Lots of others, but these might fit the thread title.
  • Options
    Oasis at The Venue
    Pulp both at The Venue and Glastonbury in 95.
    Reading 92, Levellers at Glastonbury that year blew the place apart too.
    "Last ever" Wonder Stuff gig at The Phoenix Festival, supported by Carter
    First Beautiful South gig in London ever, T and C 2 1988
    Last ever Beautiful South gig in London at Hammersmith, 2006.
    The Cure at Wembley 1989, 4 hours non stop.
    Due to age didn't see them first time round, Sex Pistols Finsbury Park 1996, with Iggy Pop, Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers and loads more.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It is great to see so many on here that I saw too.

Some unusual ones were seeing Spanish classical guitarist Sergovia playing at Catford in about 1985 or so, as a very old man indeed.
    Saw the first Flying Pickets gig at the Albany where they were not on the bill but kind of gatecrashed the interval.
    Kate and Anna McGarrigal twice, once at the Fairfield Hall once at the Savoy Theatre where they were astonishingly almost sweating music each time.
    The "Dark side of the Moon' original concert at Wembley with the circular film.
    The Who and all those others at each Valley concert.
    Roy Harper playing his Valentine album on the day of it's release (Valentines Day) at the Rainbow.
    Bunked into the Crystal Palace bowl and say Floyd, but very impressively supported by the original Faces before Rod Stewart went solo.
    The Pink Fairies all over London, because they were always playing somewhere most weekends.
    That Lou Reed 'Rock and Roll Animal' concert at the Rainbow (mentioned above), very good that one.
    Zeppelin at the Ally Pally, Earls Court and Knebworth...and the jason Bonham one at the O2.
    Bob Dylan at Earls Court. Blackbush.

Lots of others, but these might fit the thread title.

You must have been at a lot of concerts my uncle went to. He was at both valley concerts, the stones at Hyde park and was/is a big fan of the pink fairies. We went to see them last year at the beaverwood, musically very good but vocally lacking! He used to go to a lot of gigs at the Thames Poly and also the tramshed (he took me to see Marriott there)
  • Options
    Badger said:

U2 at the Rock Garden, Covent Garden.

Legendary coz someone chinned Bono?